Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Gay
Wand
Curly 15 1/2 Inch Flexible Walnut Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Giddy wasn't a strong enough word for how Rupert felt. He wasn't sure there were words strong enough. To be the second most powerful person in an entire country - his mind reeled at the possibilities. Of course, he would have to be more careful than ever from now on. Any ties with less than legitimate acquaintances would have to be severed or concealed, his own business practices thoroughly buried for the next decade. Possibly for good, if he decided to retire after this. He had been running through plans in his mind since the moment the results were announced, and now he needed a break to address another important issue.

Even if he hadn't been something of an expert in wards, Rupert would have had very little trouble getting into his brother's house. He knew Miles' style all too well, and it was childs play to slip his way in. After all, if Miles was so rude as not to invite him to a victory celebration, Rupert saw nothing wrong with throwing a surprise party for himself. He made short work of tracking down his brother's tea things and preparing them each a cup, keeping Miles' warm with magic as he waited for his brother to return, already anticipating what the reunion may bring.

Miles had spent the day with Oscar, happy to be away from the wizarding world now that the election results had been announced. He could only be grateful Rupert wasn't actually Minister, but he was way too close for Miles' liking. He hoped Minister Fontaine had good security. Miles was tired and glad to be home. He pondered if he should get a nice, relaxing bath as he opened the door. He put down his bag, humming to himself as he closed the door behind him.

He didn't notice anything amiss until he entered his living room. Miles froze in place, staring at Rupert, who was sitting in his favorite chair, helping himself to Miles' tea. Miles stared at him, eyes wide and round. His mouth dropping open. "Rupert, what the- Did you- How did you get IN?"

Last edited:
Rupert couldn't help a small chuckle at Miles' all-too-predictable response. He gestured to the coffee table, smiling benevolently. "I've made you a cup of tea, thought you might like one after a long day out. I suppose I should have brought a bottle of wine so we could toast, but I'm afraid it quite slipped my mind." Rupert chuckled lightly. "I trust you've heard the news?"

Miles couldn't stand the sight of Rupert just sitting there, touching Miles' things, drinking Miles' tea. He acted like he belonged there, as if it didn't matter that this was Miles' house and not his own. Miles grit his teeth. "I don't want your tea. I want you to go. I don't care about the news. In fact, I was out in the muggle world to avoid any mention of you."

Rupert smiled benevolently, lounging back even more in his seat. He could see his brother's frustration and he relished it, taking another sip of his tea. "Come now Miles, surely you can be at least a little bit chuffed for your brother? Who would have ever thought, eh? I was a bright student, of course, but I highly doubt any of our teachers would have said I have a propensity for leadership. I suppose I've proven them wrong, haven't I?" He chuckled lightly, wiggling his eyebrows at his brother.

Miles knew he couldn't get Rupert to leave, not until he had done or said whatever he had come here for. Angrily, Miles dropped down in a chair, pointedly not looking at his tea. "I give you a month." He said angrily. "Before they see right through you and kick you out."

Rupert's grin brightened as his brother sat down, satisfaction running through him. It had never taken all that much work to wear Miles down, not really. He laughed lightly at Miles' comment, raising his teacup to him in a mock toast. "I'll take that bet." He said cheerfully. "I'm surprised that you're surprised, really. I had quite an excellent showing at the debates, certainly the most vocal of the candidates. I'm just glad that the people heard my message. I'm looking forward to getting to work, making this country into the best it can be."

Miles sighed softly as Rupert started to boast. He looked at him, unimpressed as he picked up his teacup. He inwardly cursed himself for doing so and put it down again, he wasn't going to go along with this, he wasn't. "I'm surprised because you've never done a day of decent work in your life." He snapped. "You even made it through Hogwarts by copying my homework. You're going to be exposed for what you are." He snapped. "And if you're just here to gloat, you're wasting your time. I don't care."

Although Rupert knew all too well how untrue they were, Miles' words still stung, and Rupert made sure his brother knew it, pressing a hand to his heart as his face fell. "Now I know I wasn't the best student, but I've worked tirelessly since, Miles." He said, tone hurt. "I didn't get to be a highly respected name in my field by slacking off. I'm quite a well-known expert, because I worked for it. Real work too, not just sitting around in libraries, I spent years working in tombs and ruins. And I've applied all of that dedication and more to my campaign. I'm quite certain I'll be a deputy to be remembered for the ages, it's disappointing that you don't believe in me, though not surprising I suppose. You have no interest in getting to know who I've become, do you? Still clinging to petty teenage hurts..."

As theatrical as Rupert acted, Miles knew his words had at least somewhat hit their mark, it made him smile slightly. Any bit of hurt he could give Rupert was a win in his books. Miles snorted in derision at Rupert's words. "Your version of work is just charming or cheating people until you get what you want." He said dismissively. "You're like a leech, stealing other people's accomplishments. I know who you are, Rupert. No amount of years in tombs and ruins will change what you are fundamentally on the inside." He said, raising his chin. "But I agree, you'll be remembered for the ages. I'm sure you'll stumble into some scandal before the year ends." He said, refusing to take Rupert's bait about their teenage years.

Rupert tutted lightly at Miles' words, collecting himself quickly. "Charming and cheating are both a lot of work, you know." He said lightly, taking another sip of his tea. "However fieldwork and research are far more rewarding. I've written acclaimed papers about my work, you know? I daresay you would be hard-pressed to find a curse breaker who wouldn't speak highly of me. It's a shame you're still clinging so tight to your impression of me as a child Miles, I've grown in the decades since. It's disappointing to see you haven't grown from your judgemental ways."

Miles hated how he sounded when he argued with his brother, Rupert somehow always managed to make himself sound reasonable and mature while Miles sounded childish and petty. He took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of his nose for a moment before letting go. "Rupert, what is it exactly that you're looking for?" He finally asked, looking at his brother with a tired expression on his face. "You come here, try to rile me up... for what? Are you hoping for me to tell you you've done a good job? Are you looking for validation? Because it's not my job to give that to you, Rupert." He said, folding his hands in his lap. "I'm clinging to my impression of you as a teenager because that was the last time we had any kind of relationship." He told him plainly. "And on my end, I'd like to keep it that way. Please just tell me what you want so you can leave."

Rupert allowed his face to fall as Miles spoke, surprised at how sincere the expression felt. As much as he enjoyed messing with his brother, Miles somehow still managed to find ways of genuinely hurting him, even after all these years. "Miles, I am trying." He said, shocked at his own sincerity. "It's been decades, and I miss you so deeply. I don't know how else I can show you that I'm a different person than I was when we were children. Merlin, I've changed enough that an entire country trusted me to lead them. All I want is a chance to show you that. We're twins. We should at least be friends."

Miles still knew Rupert well enough to see when something actually affected him, and he was fairly sure he had managed that just now. He felt a twinge ofโ€ฆ regret? Guilt? But buried it quickly. Rupert had no respect for Milesโ€™ boundaries, if he truly wanted to make things better he would have let Miles set the pace. Still, it hurt a little as Rupert said he missed him deeply. It mostly hurt because Miles had no idea if that part was sincere, it was hard to imagine. โ€œI donโ€™t think you miss me that much. You've always surrounded yourself with others.โ€ He said, voice quiet. โ€œRupert, we canโ€™t help being twins. But I have no interest in being your friend.โ€ He then said, a little shocked by the coldness of his own words. He recovered his expression quickly, setting his mouth in a determined line.

Rupert could read his brother as easily as a book, and as much as he loathed the vulnerability, he realised quickly that his show of emotion had actually affected Miles. It took a lot of effort to let his well-cultivated face slip but he did so again as he responded. "Miles, did it not occur that I've surrounded myself with other in absence of my brother?" He said softly, struggling to be vulnerable without it coming across insincere. "You were the one who wanted me to be kinder to you, and I am trying, so hard. I'm trying to fix what I broke. Can you not meet me halfway?"

Miles knew Rupert, even after all these years. He could tell he had really gotten under his skin, and that made him feel conflicted. But didnโ€™t Rupert understand it was his own fault that they were in this position? Miles realized suddenly that he truly didnโ€™t. Or if he did, he thought that he could still somehow get out of the consequences for his actions by saying sorry. He gave his brother a sad smile, actually feeling pity for him. โ€œIโ€™m sorry, Rupert.โ€ He said softly. โ€œI forgave you the first two times, but the last time you didnโ€™t just break our relationship. You shattered it and then stomped it into dust. Thereโ€™s no fixing it.โ€ He said softly, his tone almost gentle now. โ€œI can never trust you anymore. I canโ€™t be around you if I canโ€™t trust you.โ€ He added quietly. โ€œI actually wish I could, I want to be able to still give you a chance." He folded his hands in his lap as he looked down. โ€œIโ€™m sorry, Rupert. I canโ€™t. I have to protect myself. It took me decades to dare even think about romance again, and even then I felt your shadow on every date. You broke something in me.โ€

Miles' response reminded Rupert immediately why letting his guard down was a bad idea. He let the mask slide back over his face as his brother spoke, biting back every angry response he wanted to make. He set his cup down and gave Miles his practiced winning grin, every bit the confident politician. "Well, I tried." He said, trying hard to ignore how his voice sounded just a little too chipper. "You know, even if you can't see that I've changed, this country clearly can. I have plenty of other people to spend my time with." He said, a hint of bitterness creeping back in. He buttoned his jacket as he strode to the door confidently. "For all the cruel things you love to think of me based on the actions of a much younger man, you can't say I didn't try to make things right."

Despite himself, Miles felt increasingly guilty as he watched Rupert. A part of him wanted to take it back, to give his brother the first hug they had shared in over three decades. But he couldnโ€™t. He watched him go with sadness in his eyes. โ€œI know you tried, and I appreciate that.โ€ He said softly. โ€œItโ€™s justโ€ฆ too little too late, I'm sorry.โ€ He had the irresistible urge to explain,to defend himself more. The worst burst out of him. "You ruined my life, Rupert, for years!"

Rupert could hear that his brother was genuinely affected, and somehow that only made it worse. That he could actually get through to Miles, and still be rejected. He was reaching for the door and trying to think of a closing remark when Miles shouted, turning back to his brother in shock. "I - and I'm sorry!" He said firmly. "I have apologised, there's nothing else I can do! I'll be the first to admit I was an idiot in my youth, but I'm not the same man anymore! I can't turn back time."

Miles hadnโ€™t meant to shout at his brother, but the words had escaped despite himself. He watched his brother as he turned. โ€œI know thereโ€™s nothing you can do.โ€ He said, voice a little shaky. โ€œNot unless you can somehow reverse the nearly thirty years of anxiety and trust issues Iโ€™ve had to deal with, that I had to get therapy for. Even now, I wouldnโ€™t leave you in a room alone with Oscar, even though I trust him completely.โ€ He said, his voice breaking a little. โ€œWhy did you do it? Why did you have to ruin everything I had? How can I know you changed if I donโ€™t understand what made you do that in the first place?โ€

Rupert was tired. Tired in a way he didn't remember being since he was much younger. Tired in a way he had never been throughout the campaign. A tiredness that hung heavy in his heart, pulling him down. For all he tried to approach life as though nothing could touch him, his brother was still a weak spot like no other. "I don't know why I did it!" Rupert snapped, finally losing his cool entirely. "I was... I was bored? I was stupid? I resented that people liked you? I don't know, I really don't! It was so long ago, I don't remember what I was thinking, but I know I regret it."

Miles tensed as Rupert raised his voice. This was somethign he had almost never seen, Rupert was always so calm and collected, never like this. Miles stared at him, eyes wide. But the answer he gave didnโ€™tโ€ฆ do anything for Miles. He still couldnโ€™t wrap his mind around it, about hurting someone like that on purpose. โ€œYouโ€ฆ were bored.โ€ He finally said slowly. โ€œYou ruined every romantic relationship I had because you were bored.โ€ He shook his head. โ€œYou must have really hated me. Iโ€™m sorry that you couldnโ€™t hold onto that feeling, that would probably be easier for you now.โ€ He said, looking away. "I wish you luck, with everything."

Rupert felt the bottom drop out of his stomach. "I didn't hate you." He said desperately. "I could never hate you, Miles, we're twins. I was bored and stupid and... not thinking clearly, I don't know. You used to steal pudding from my bowl even when you had your own, how is that different? It doesn't mean you hated me, you were just young and stupid. That's all it ever was, youthful stupidity. We're old men now, Miles, what do a few teenage dalliances matter compared to your brother?"

Miles felt the almost overwhelming urge to go to Rupert and hug him when he saw the desperation in his eyes, but he stopped himself. He swallowed thickly as his brother compared what he had done to stealing pudding, and was immediately glad he hadnโ€™t gone for the hug. Miles felt tears threatening, though, and he knew they would be audible in his voice as well. โ€œI- I donโ€™t think stealing pudding is quite comparable.โ€ He said shakily. โ€œRupert, you keep downplaying itโ€ฆ I was twenty-five, we were engaged when you slept with him. You made-โ€ He stopped, took a deep breath, then continued. โ€œYou made sure I found out- I know you did.โ€ He swallowed. โ€œHow could you do that to me if you didnโ€™t hate me?โ€ He asked, his voice suddenly small.

Last edited:
Rupert winced at the pain in Miles' voice, moving closer. "If I hated you, I would have let you marry a man willing to betray you." He said slowly. "You can't put all of this on me, Miles. He could and should have stayed devoted to you. Every man who cheated on you chose to betray you. The man who deserves you is the one who would say no to me. The others were simply bullets you dodged."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back