Career Fair

It was a lovely morning and the Career Fair was in full swing. Rhi decided to take a walk around the said event to see what her former colleagues were up to. She had not worked there but was in acquaintance with some of them when she still worked as a librarian for Hogwarts. She sighed as she recalled those years. Shaking off her head, she started walking around,stopping once in a while to look into some pamphlets and stuff they had in their booths.

Five minutes into her stroll, she came across the Beast Division of the Ministry, particularly the Dragon Research and Restraint Bureau. She stopped at the side of the booth just as the man manning the booth showed the student his scars from the dragons, or so she just heard. She was interested in dragons as well,even had one miniature when she was a student. Thinking it would be rude to just stand there idly, she cleared her throat and asked, "How does it feel working with dragons?", Simple question, she admitted but enough to start a conversation. Boy, she needed to get out often and make friendships again.

@Leonidas Rigel Messier

Since it was the holidays, Irene decided to go around Obsidian Harbour for some shopping for herself and maybe had her lunch there. She was just about to enter one of the shops she frequented when she noticed the bustling activity. She forgot that it was the Career Fair and she was actually planning to join in.

Letting go of the shop door, she decided to have a look at the fair. She had worked at the Ministry of Magic before,training to be an auror then became one of the employees for one of the departments. She was hoping to bump into anybody whom she had acquainted before. She was just walking around, stopping once in a while when she heard her name being called. She looked around, trying to find the source of the voice.

OOCOut of Character:

Anyone working for at the Ministry can reply to this. I was hoping that this would be a way for Irene to develop her character now.

Shite. Rowan worked hard on her displayed and all the information she gather, only for it to be thrown right in her face. She would curse the snotty little shite if she could. But she won't, respectively, that kinda behavior unacceptable. And because the work she did was just as important as any other in whichever department you looked at. "You know, you're right. But that's the kinda thing those with privilege status would say!" Rowan shot back, thought she smiled even laughed taking back the pamphlet. "Maybe it's time you stop being the oppressor and get me a dream job as some singer in a witches band?" Rowan went on. It was to be expected, not everyone was going to value or like the work she did. She could only do so much to make it sound interesting. At the end if the day, it is, what it is. "Cheers! Good luck in your life adventures! Hope it gets you far!" Rowan called after the snotty little shite. Mouthy as that one was, Rowan would laugh and remember that kid someday. Now, all she wanted was to have a long break and enjoy some chips. Argh! She was beginning to feel hungry as the day went on.

OOCOut of Character: no worries
she was funny, i laughed!

Fleur eagerly absorbed all the information he threw at her, wishing she had brought something to take notes with. She nodded as he spoke, transfixed by his words. What she liked most about this was that he was taking her seriously. Or at least doing a very good impression of it if he wasn't. Her eyes widened when the man started telling her a very personal story, her mouth hanging open slightly as she listened. He had met a real dragon? And it had helped him? It made her own story look incredibly weak in comparison, but she didn't even care. She was enthralled. She covered her mouth with her hand, speechless for a moment. "Wow." She said softly. "Makes my book story sound sorta lame, doesn't it? Wow... that's pretty incredible." She said softly, clearly awed.

Listening to more information about the man's job, she really started to like him. He was doing pretty much exactly what she wanted to do later, and she was so very happy she had convinced her parents to make the trip here today. She was glad he answered all her questions, it made her feel like he wasn't just brushing her off by handing her some books and letting her do the research herself. She grinned when he mentioned the Peruvian Vipertooth, it was a pretty awesome one. Her eyes widened again at the scar he showed her, but it didn't change her mind about what she wanted. She understood that he wanted her to know the real consequences of the job and what it entailed, and she was glad he didn't sugarcoat it.

She had rarely been this quiet, but everything she had heard now made her want to think and read the books he had given her. She definitely wanted to seek him out again when she had graduated. He asked her a question again and she suddenly felt a little shy, like her answer was silly compared to everything he had said. It wasn't something she felt often and it took her a moment to find her words. "Uhm, I like the Swedish Short-Snout." She said after a moment. "Their fire is supposed to be super powerful and blue, and it can reduce trees to ash in seconds! They're also beautiful." She had read their nice skins were often used to make gloves and shields of, which was part of what made want to work with these creatures. "Um, I should probably go now I've been sort of hogging the table." She said, glancing self consciously at the woman that walked up and asked him a question as well. "Thank you so so much! You've really helped me a ton." She said, nodding earnestly.

It was definitely pleasing to see such an interest in the topic of his department. Konstantin hadn't been so sure anyone would take enough notice, compared to the other, more popular occupations [resent. There were never any shortages of youth wanting to be healers or magizoologists. "It's difficult to say. New charms may be invented more often than we think, but not shared by the inventors to be recorded by the Ministry. As for what we do record, new charms aren't invented on a weekly basis, but they're created often enough. It's difficult to put an exact frame of time to them, they all take different lengths of time to be tested and recorded down. Some are never refined enough to be considered usable, either." The man tried to explain as best he could. "New charms are created generally out of necessity. Most of the important spells you'll need to know were already created early on, so we continue using a lot of them to this day, which is why they're taught generation after generation. New spells are added to the schools curriculum from time to time, but it very much depends on how important it will be for your age group, and how much content is already in the course. If you're looking for spells that might not have made it into any revised editions of your textbooks, you might be more interested in coming by the Ministry and having a look at our public records. As for how it works, we it goes back to necessity. The idea comes first. The severing charm for example was created by a seamstress, and her want to cut fabrics more accurately. As more becomes necessary to do, spells are created to fulfill that necessity."

A second youth popped up to the table with questions of his own, and Konstantin was grateful none of them bore him repeating himself. "The most relevant classes would be charms, of course, and any other subject that applies magic practically. Knowing history is also beneficial to working in the department." Compared to some other occupations, the committee didn't have a great deal of prerequisites, but those that were needed required a lot of effort in order to ensure safety. "The length of time to create a spell depends on the individual and their own skill, as well as the complexity of the goal they're looking to achieve. Its not an easy process in anyones case. Its all varied between the witches and wizards we work with. I believe there have likely been times that a spell has been pulled to be further refined and tested in the past, but not since I've worked there. It's not a common case, we research and trial extensively. Bear in mind that all spells, even the ones you've learned now, have the potential to backfire if used wrong."

The first boy spoke up again, and Konstantin nodded his head. "There are quite a few laws on what can or can't be created, most you'll learn about in school. There's also limitations to magic and how far it can be pushed. Its impossible for us to create a spell to resurrect a person for example - body and soul, so we don't pursue what we know can't be done. To my knowledge, there aren't any charms being worked on by the department itself at this current time, though we are working to assist others attempting to do so, which I can't speak about due to breaching their personal privacy and patent laws."

Tristan listened with interest to the man's response, mentally noting some of the things he said so he could look them up later. He wondered what he meant with a spell being 'refined enough', but didn't want to look like an idiot by asking. The idea to look around at the ministry sometime at their public records was a good one. "I think I will do that." He said with a smile. It made sense that he couldn't tell him about any charms in particular at this time, though it disappointed him. "Thank you very much for your time." He told the man politely. "Good luck with the rest of the fair." He had grabbed some pamphlets and then with a last nod at both the man and his friend, he headed off. He wasn't sure if Jerara would want to ask more questions, but Tristan had more he wanted to see here. He kept an eye out for the deputy minister, but felt like he probably wouldn't feel confident enough to go to him today.

The fact that the girl was actually interested in the job made Paige more excited. The girl seemed really nice and that was a plus for a social worker. ''Yes, that is exactly what I do'' Paige smiled broadly,
the girl knew what she meant. ''Well, we get people suffering from mental illnesses and other mental problems'' Paige couldn't go into too much details, but she could always tell the girl the broad lining. ''We also get people that want to talk about traumatic happenings in their lives.'' Paige muttered slowly. She loved her work, but sometimes people had witnessed a lot in their lives.

''Let's see, you will need Muggle studies to really know the psyche of people and sometimes potions is handy, but I think the best subject is one that can't be learned its knowledge of human nature. Paige said happily, it was something that this girl wanted to follow her footsteps and maybe become her future colleague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back