OOC First Name
Tamara
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 14 Inch Swishy Holly Wand with Essence of Belladonna Core
So far Riley had taken so many pictures that her camera was getting pretty full. She had found a dark room in the castle were a bunch of pictures were currently developing. Some were moving others were still. Currently she was outside and admiring flowers and trees that were planted in the Hogwarts Garden. She knew the Wild Patch was close, but she didn't want to disturb the students that were working on the plot. Riley looked around and touched the flower petals of the roses that were currently in bloom. They reminded her of the hiking trips she had with her dad were they would see beautiful untouched spots of nature. Soon she found herself enjoying the weather that was currently starting to become a bit warmer once again. Sometimes it was good to enjoy nature through your eyes not through your lens.

Naomi could hardly believe that she would learn how to be a witch, even after having been at Hogwarts for a couple of days. Learning about this world and this school could get a little overwhelming at times, there were a bazillion things to learn and see, after all, but the girl knew that it wouldn't be long before she would know the basics of it all. Not today, though. She didn't want to spend more time in the library than she'd already done. She may have been put in the smartest of the four houses but she didn't want people to think she was a nerd for trying to catch up on things in her spare time. She wanted people to like her, especially since she was a Muggleborn. Besides, the weather was clearing up a bit and she had hardly explored the outside areas of the school. Wandering aimlessly around the gardens, she spotted the girl she'd shared a compartment with on the train. ''Not taking any pictures of the gardens?'' Naomi said as she approached Riley with a smile. She had seen Riley with her camera ever since they met on the train so was a little surprised that she didn't seem to be taking a few of the lovely gardens.

Last edited:
Riley was in awe of the beautiful garden that the castle harboured. The flowers with amazing colours and the loveliest fragrances. With petals were as soft as powdered snow and the thorns still prickly. Riley admired nature, she wasn't very good at keeping it though. Riley and plants weren't a good combination, most died under her care. She had even managed to kill a cactus and they were supposed to survive everything known to man. Riley sighed and turned around there she spotted a familiar face. Naomi the girl she had shared a compartment with in the train to Hogwarts. ''Camera is full'' Riley said while holding up her magical camera ''The muggle ones don't work here.'' She added knowing Naomi was a muggleborn. Maybe she hadn't noticed that anything electric didn't work at Hogwarts. ''Sometimes I like to admire the sights as well, live in the moment you know.'' Riley smiled and let another flower pass through her finger tips.

Naomi had wondered why her watch suddenly stopped working the moment she entered the vicinity of the castle. Now she knew. She didn't fully understand how magic affected her technological devices but she made a mental note to ask the librarian for some books about it. ''How many pictures did you take exactly?'' she asked, grinning slightly. Hogwarts seemed to be getting more and more interesting the more time she spend there. ''But you'll take pictures of the gardens eventually, right?'' the girl asked, eager to see some of these moving pictures Riley had talked about on the train.

Riley had no clue how many pictures she had taken since she arrived at Hogwarts. A lot was a plausible answer, but it was certainly running into the one hundreds. ''I don't know, but I guess a couple of hundred'' Riley responded, most of those were currently under development in a dark room she had found. ''Definitely, luckily we have seven more years ahead of us.'' Riley smiled and looked at Naomi. ''How are you settling in?'' For her nothing really changed, but coming from a muggle world settling in was a lot harder.

Max was there and then he ran off

While it didn't surprise Naomi that Riley had been taking loads of pictures of Hogwarts and its surroundings, it did surprise her that the Gryffindor had apparently already shot hundreds of them. ''Honestly, where do you find the time,'' she mused. She found that she'd already been fairly busy with school but maybe it would be different for people who already lived in this world. ''Not bad, things are new but that's exciting so I'm eager to settle in as quickly as I can.'' It was a lot to take in at times but with people like Riley around her, learning about everything wasn't as tedious as it could be. ''What about you? Are the girls in your dormitory nice?''

When Naomi asked her about time Riley let out a soft laugh. ''Well, I haven't studied or have been invested in anything school related'' She said to the Ravenclaw. It meant she had plenty of time for her camera. She didn't need to study yet, being born in a magical family had some perks. She didn't know everything about the muggle world, but she wouldn't follow Muggle studies for another three years. ''Understandable, there are so many new things for you.'' Riley smiled and hoped she was having a good time. ''Yeah they are pretty nice, Hogwarts is awesome.'' Riley said happily. ''How are the Ravenclaw girls?'' She asked Naomi.

Naomi thought it was impossible to find someone who wasn't invested in anything related to school during the first couple of days. Riley proved her wrong. Perhaps not everyone was as eager to learn as she was - which she, naturally, thought was totally understandable. Not everyone was Muggleborn. She smiled, glad that her friend seemed to understand her being new to all of this. Naomi hesitated for a moment when Riley returned the question and said, ''Well, one girl implied I was rude for not knowing what a pygmy puff was and said I didn't have any manners. The other girls seem nice, though.''

Riley listened to Naomi talking about the Ravenclaw first years. They weren't very different from the Gryffindor ones although they weren't as many this year. ''Maybe that girl doesn't know any Muggleborns and has skewed views on the magical world'' She hated people that favored Witches and Wizards over Muggles. Riley had met plenty of Muggles and they were all nice, they were just obvious for what was out there. ''Glad the rest is nice though.'' Riley smiled. ''If you ever get annoyed by that girl, I can be rather mean with Photoshop.'' Her mum couldn't do without all the muggle technology and thus they had a computer at home. She had learned how to work in Photoshop to make sure her Muggle pictures were a bit more sharp and clean.

''I didn't want to say anything about it, but I don't know, I think it's quite rude to say such a thing when the other person is merely asking a question.'' Naomi had wisely ignored Tori's comment at the time and instead introduced herself to the rest of the girls, but now that she was thinking of it again, she couldn't quite let go of it. She smiled at Riley's gesture and said, ''I shouldn't be surprised given the fact that you carry your camera around everywhere you go, but you know Photoshop?'' It was such a Muggle thing that she hadn't ever thought if wizardfolk was familiar with that kind of thing. What else did they know and use that Muggles also used?

''Yes, it is pretty odd.'' Riley paused ''You were just asking a question.'' She looked at Naomi and hoped she wasn't that offended by the magical folk that was at Hogwarts. There were some idiots out there that have never seen a muggle before. ''Yeah, my mom is a muggle.'' Riley smiled and looked at her newly found friend. ''She is a muggle photographer, so she taught me how to use it.'' She did need a computer or laptop so it was going to happen over the holidays. ''It isn't very common to know in the wizarding world though, I guess I am just a little kooky that way.'' Her dad had come from a purely magical family and her mother was a muggle. Her parents had the best stories at dinner time about how the two of them met and what a culture shock it had been.

Naomi's smile widened when Riley said that her mother was a Muggle, all thoughts of the rude girl in her dorm completely forgotten. ''No way, that's awesome!'' It was nice to know that she wasn't the only student around who had parents that were Muggles. She hadn't thought about the possibility of wizardfolk also having a parent who didn't know about magic at first, which meant that there must be more students around like that. ''Also, that's not kooky,'' Naomi said quickly, almost defensively, ''that's normal.'' Or at least she hoped it was. ''What else do you know that Muggles also know?'' the girl asked curiously.

Riley smiled no clue why it was so awesome to Naomi, but she realized that maybe she had no clue that most witches and wizards had muggle blood in their heritage. Pureblood families were rare, overtime most families had mixed with muggles. When Naomi said she wasn't kooky she let out a soft laugh. ''I don't know, I know basic stuff and most stuff that has something to do with photography, but not the obscure things muggles use.'' Riley said ''We sometimes visit my grandparents, they have a lot of weird trinkets in their home'' She mused, muggle items were weird to say the least. ''My dad has to try his best not to spoil the big secret to them, so my mum picks his clothes and makes a cover story for his job and such.'' Riley grinned. ''Some muggle items are widely used in the wizarding world, not like we eat without cutlery or a plate.'' She added quickly after.

Naomi listened quietly to Riley, curious to hear about the many similarities between muggles and wizards. She didn't really answer her question, unfortunately, so she could only imagine the many similarities between both worlds. If wizards knew things like photoshop then surely they would know about computers and other technological devices as well. Right? Well, if that were true, she was kinda disappointed that none of her devices seemed to work whilst at Hogwarts. She didn't see the point in living like they were in the Middle Ages. ''I wouldn't put it past wizards to eat with their hands, living without electricity already seems kinda barbaric,'' she commented.

Riley had never put much thought into it. It was just how things were. She had grown up with candles and most things could also be achieved with magic. She didn't need electricity for light, there was lumos. ''Well there is pride, people thinking that they don't need muggle stuff do achieve anything'' Riley said ''Plus for most things there is a magical alternative.'' She added ''And the last thing is magic and electricity don't go together'' She had some clue how it worked, it was somehow interfering with the electromagnetic field. At home they didn't had electricity, they had a tiny shed in their garden with a computer and some solar panels to power it. ''You can always come to my place over the holiday, show you what a wizarding house looks like.'' After Hogwarts it wouldn't be such a shock anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back