Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Lou
Wand
Yew 12'' Core of Jackalope Antler
Erik still didn’t feel quite right. He supposed he wouldn’t for a while, maybe never. He was living with Evan for now, and he had to admit she was a much better roommate than they had been when they were kids. Her home was cluttered. However, there was a method to the chaos. Parts, books, and powders filled her rooms. Erik was the last person who was going to judge her. Evan was a genius, and as long as he respected her space, he was welcome to stay. She made him miss Mom even more. Evan was always laughing, getting things done, and doing what she loved. He was positive a shred of Julie’s spirit had stayed with her. Not for the first time, Erik wished Julie had been his biological mom.

His first few intensive sessions of therapy had been grueling. He was in for another round this afternoon. Paging through a copy of the local wizarding newspaper, he was sitting at the kitchen table. Erik nursed a coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. He looked up to see Evan, who’d walked in through the front door.

She was still in her fleece pajamas, her hair still pulled into the double french braids Erik had worked in last night. She was carrying a pile of mail and an oblong bundle. Evan shoved it into Erik’s hands. She nearly knocked over his coffee and oatmeal.

“What’s this?”

“You picked up an admirer already?” Evan teased. “You’ve been here what, five days?”

Erik turned over the package in his hands, pulling down the wrapping to see a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. He lifted it to his face, smelling it. Erik reached for the small envelope at the top. Inside was a simple: Love, Lou.

Blushing, Erik held the flowers to his chest. Maybe this meant they could repair things down the road. “Hey, sis, you have a vase?”

@Lou Prindeou

Lou was struggling. He kept himself busy during the days. He worked the farm, and when he was home, he tried to be optimistic and turn it to a home for two. He liked to think he knew Erik well enough. He started off simply; unpacking Eriks things. After that, Lou took on the project of add ons. He went out back and built a potions shed more to the back of the property. It was roomy, ventilated, well stocked. It was a potioneers dream.

Once he'd finished that, he added a second walk in closet in the bedroom. Eriks clothing tastes tended to need more space. When he wasn't working the farm or around the house, Lou was trying to get a few hours of spotty sleep. He missed Erik, horribly, and every day he dealt with a dark pit knotted in his stomach that always feared he would never see Erik again.

Lou did his best to ignore it. He stayed clean shaven, ate properly. He'd decided to keep things simple. Every Friday, Lou went into town to the Florists shop and sent Erik a bouquet of flowers. Lou never did more than sign his name, words as ever escaping his grasp. After three weeks, however, Lou couldn't help but add a little something more. He didn't sign it, attaching instead a very simple (but heartfelt) note. I miss you, butterfly.

Evan had a total of exactly three vases. Erik took the note from the bouquet, kissed it, and placed it in his pocket. He snacked on a granola bar as he wrote a letter back to Lou. In the package, he enclosed a book he'd found at the local store.

Hi Lou,

I miss you too. I'm safe and doing OK. I hope you are holding up.

The flowers are lovely. We're running out of vases to put them in. Your sweater's keeping me warm. It's cold here this time of year, winter. I'm still not used to the change in seasons.

I found a book I thought you might like to read. If it's no good, sorry.

Love,
Erik

Lou was surprised when a letter and a book came in. He smiled softly and immediately stole away to the window seat downstairs. He read through the first chapter before making a trip down to town. He spent a few hours shopping, just picking up a few vases he thought were pretty. The next Friday, a box made its way to Erik along with his usual bouquet. Lou's note was shorter, each letter carefully drawn out.

Butterfly. I found more vases in town. I noticed I was missing a sweater so I just wrapped them in two more. Stay warm.

Erik was looking forward to his next bouquet, although he wasn't quite sure where to place them. Evan's front room was smelling lovely and floral. He brightened when he saw the sweaters. Putting one to his face, he breathed in the scent of dirt and sweat. Evan made fun of him, of course, but he didn't care. He moved to write his next letter.

Lou,

Have you ever seen the aurora? It's called the Southern Lights where you are. They've been active here the last few nights. I wish you were here to see it with me.

I need to be more open with you. I promise I'll tell you what's been going on. I'm working on unpacking it.

Lou fell asleep in the window seat several nights that week, slowly working on the book Erik had given him. He was pleased when a return letter came in, and tried again to make a longer note to send with the bouquet.

Butterfly,

I have not. Maybe you can show me some day. I'm ready to listen to anything you have to say. I've got a few surprises of my own that I hope you might like. Don't hesitate to tell me if you need anything

Erik was secretly pleased that Lou's letters were getting longer. In his next envelope, he enclosed an enchanted moving photo of himself rearranging the bouquets. He was smiling, wearing one of the extra sweaters Lou had sent him.

I love surprises! Has anyone ever told you that you have very nice handwriting? You're sweet, Lou. I don't know that I need anything physical- although the flowers are nice. I'm making a lot of progress. I know you said not to call myself a mistake- I'm feeling like less of one, so there's that.

Love,
Erik

Lou was insanely pleased when Erik included the picture with his next letter. He tucked it in his pocket and immediately went shopping so he could buy a frame for it. He kept it on his nightstand, sleeping a little bit better when he could give his love a kiss goodnight. Lou picked up a small candle, one he could keep lit on the dresser.

As Friday rolled back around, Lou sent a bit of a care package with the bouquet. He sent a few hand-baked sweets he knew Erik liked, a few more sweaters, a dark blue throw blanket. Lou even included a picture Olivia had taken- a magical picture of Lou curled up in the window seat, fast asleep. The book was open on his chest, and rain fell softly outside the window.

Butterfly,

I will do my best to surprise you. I am glad you like the flowers. I miss you, Erik. Might I ask when I might be able to see you again? I miss holding you… Oh, can you send my old sweaters back? I'll trade you new ones for the old ones.

The front room, the kitchen, and the guest room were now exploding with flowers. Just as Evan’s townhome was brightening, so was Erik’s outlook. He looked forward to the weekly letters from Lou. In a way, it felt like they were flirting with each other. Evan called them old-fashioned for writing letters, but Erik didn’t care. He secretly thought it was romantic.

Erik devoured the baked goods in no time. What could he say? He’d never been a delicate human. He tried not to smear jelly on the letter as he wrote a response and ate the last tart.

Some of your sweaters are enclosed. Sorry if they have any black cat hairs- Maleficent loves me, maybe a little too much.

I have seven weeks left. After that, maybe? Things are going really well. I think you would like it here.

Lou couldn't help the wave of sadness that hit him with Eriks next letter. He worried- again- that everything between them was just in his head. Struggling for words, Lou drew back into himself. What was he supposed to do? After staring at a blank page for a few hours that Friday, Lou surrendered and just signed his name to send with the next bouquet before heading back out to the farm to work.

Erik wondered if he’d upset Lou somehow, or if the man had just run out of things to say. Erik tried not to read into it too much. He slipped a heart-shaped agate he’d found at the lake into the envelope with his brief note.

I miss you, too, Lou.

Erik drew another butterfly in the margins and sent it off.

Lou was feeling particularly worn out that week, the farm had been harder to manage. He was so strung out he accidentally missed his usual Friday send off. It was midday the following monday before he managed to send a bouquet, and this time he took a bit of time to send Erik a small pot of the soup he'd made the day they had met. Lous handwriting was a little rougher than usual, and he passed out almost as soon as it was sent out.

Erik- sorry, farms a mess. Flooding. I'm worn down this week. I love you. Lou.

Erik was fully expecting his weekly delivery. He tried not to worry when it didn’t show up. But there was that doubt in the back of his mind. Sending a bouquet around the world was already a grand gesture in itself. But he couldn’t help wondering if Lou was starting to get bored of him. He supposed it was fair enough. Erik had left.

Erik wasn’t sure whether he should write back, when on Monday evening a bouquet arrived, his spirits picked up. He was delighted with the cup of soup, still hot. He took some time with his response. He stopped at the store, picking up another book for Lou and some fresh ingredients. He hoped Lou wouldn’t be put off by the Blueberry Grunt. Terrible name, delicious dessert.

You made that the first day we met, didn’t you? That warmed me up. It’s still pretty cold here. Hope you like blueberries.

Come visit me when you’ve sorted out the farm?

Love,

Erik

It took Lou another week to sort out the farm. It was Saturday before he had finally gotten everything to the point that he could leave for a few days. He was nervous, having never travelled… well, anywhere, really. Turns out travelling wasn't the hard part. Getting to Canada was very easy. Getting to Eriks house… well, that wasn't. Lou had been wandering the streets for hours, hopelessly lost. It was starting to get dark before he finally gave up, confused and frustrated. He stepped into one of the shops and asking to borrow a phone. He sheepishly called Erik to come get him, not even sure of where he was. The flowers he'd been packing around for six hours had started to droop, and Lou was so worn out there was no way he could pull together the spell to fix it.

Despite having close No-Maj family members, Erik was pathetic when it came to his phone. He treated it as an afterthought. Being entrenched in the magical world had its downsides. So, when he answered his phone, he barely looked at it, expecting to hear Eliza or his favorite spam caller, politely informing him that the warranty on his car was expired- the car he didn't own and didn't want to drive.

He was not expecting to hear Lou on the other end. "What? You're here? Where?"

Glad he was done with his counseling for the day, he slipped into his wool coat, leather gloves, and purple scarf. He apparated part of the way and walked for the rest, not wanting to attract No-Maj attention. He approached the store that Lou had said he called from, looking for his lover. Everything was dusted with a light layer of snow.

Lou felt absolutely embarrassed that he couldn't even find Eriks house. After calling from the shop, he'd shyly thanked the clerk and gone back outside to wait. Feeling drained, Lou sat on the ground and pulled up his knees. The flowers hung lamely from one hand as he laid his head in his arms. He didn't mean to, but he had quickly fallen asleep.

It was a moment before Erik found Lou, hunched over on the curb. He knelt down, putting his hand on Lou's shoulder and shaking him gently. "We need to get you a thicker coat, love," Erik said. Lou was not dressed for the weather. He took his scarf off, moving to place it on Lou's neck instead.

It took Lou a moment to wake up, and he was a little blurry as Erik wrapped a scarf around his neck. Lou couldn't help but give a sleepy smile, reaching out and just pulling Erik down and into his lap. "Sweet butterfly," he yawned, snuggling into Eriks neck and holding him tight.

Surprised, Erik snaked his arms around Lou's shoulders. He kissed Lou on the cheek and sat in his lap. Snowflakes had settled on Lou's eyelashes. "I promise my bed's a lot more comfortable," he teased. "Or even the couch. But you'll have to share it with the cat."

Lou smiled sleepily, humming softly as Erik kissed him before turning his head to pepper kisses over the skin he could reach. "Okay," he agreed easily, releasing his hold and letting Erik up. "It's cold," he whined, standing up. "Oh," he offered the flowers out to Erik with a sleepy smile.

Erik accepted the flowers, smiling broadly. He held them to his chest. "Thanks, Lou; they're gorgeous. We should walk part of the way," he said, "gotta avoid freaking out the No-Majs." Erik put his arm through Lou's. "Did you bring a bag or anything?" he asked, looking around.

Lou smiled warmly, reaching out automatically to brush Eriks hair back. He chuckled softly, his energy low. He hesitated as Erik asked about a bag, looking around to see his small backpack already dusted with snow. He sighed softly and reached down to grab it. He slung it over his shoulder as he straightened before draping his arm over Erik. "Where are we going?" Lou asked, biting back a yawn.

"I've been staying with my sister," Erik explained, walking slowly with Lou. He did pick up the pace, knowing his partner was probably chilled. "She won't mind if you stay." He thought to bring up the clutter, as Lou was orderly and neat, but Lou would figure it out. Erik hadn't had time to tell Evan about Lou's arrival. She knew about him, of course.

Lou nodded, walking with Erik and trying to hide how cold he felt. "Will she mind if I sleep with you?" He asked softly, a bit tense as he tried not to shiver. "I'm sorry it took so long to sort the farm out," he added softly, unable to stop the yawn.

Erik laughed. "No way. She's not a prude." Come to think of it, the only person in his family who really would mind was his father. Julie and his siblings had accepted him forever ago. His dad, not so much. He knew his dad loved him, but there were some ingrained beliefs that Tristan had always struggled to shake.

"No worries, Lou." He leaned in closer to his lover, trying to keep him warm. "I wasn't expecting you today."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back