Busking on the lawn

Courtney Potter

Wand
Best wand ever!
Courtney made her way down to the lawn, trusting that Kaela was following close behind. When she found a nice spot, she pulled out a blanket from her bag and set both of their instruments on it.

She then pulled her ukulele out of it's case and placed the case in front of her and Kaela, hoping people might toss some galleons in once the playing started.

She beconked at Kaela to pick up her trumpet and play, so she wouldn't have to play alone. "Look nobody is around."

Kaela rolled her eyes and picked up her trumpet, setting it down on the ground beside her as she sat down. "I'm gonna watch for now."

Courtney picked up her ukulele and opened the music book to the first page. The song was "Twinkle, twinkle, little star." She looked at the notes and looked over to Kaela, "the first song of the book is fairly easy." She began to strum her ukulele to the notes, giggling, she moved closer to kaela, "join me!"

Kaela looked up at Courtney, nodding with a fake smile on her face. "Yeah, maybe later." She grabbed a book and opened it up, staring at the page she tried to read. Being outside wasn't Kaela's favorite idea, especially in the snow, but she didn't want to disappoint Courtney.

Courtney continued playing, and shook her head at Kaela's attempt to read. "Y'know it will be too loud out here to possibly read, music is distracting. Come on Kaela, at least have a little fun out here."

"I am having fun," Kaela said as she looked up at Courtney. "Being outside is fun. Playing the trumpet on the lawn in winter is not exactly fun. Winter is the worst time to play outside, it makes the trumpet flat, and the mouthpiece is cold making it harder to play. Plus I haven't played since summer and I don't like playing by myself. Listening to you is fun." She smiled softly at Courtney, hoping she would just play and have fun herself.

Professor Hipparcos Pleiades sauntered lazily down the lawn, enjoying the winter weather. He was an odd one in that he like the winter greatly. He noticed two girls, Ravenclaw he believed, that were in his second year astronomy class this term. One of them was reading and the other was trying to get her to play an intstrument with her. The Professor walked up to the two girls, "Hello there," he greeted jovially, "Courtney...?" he said inquisitively, looking at the girl who was indeed Courtney, "And Kaela...?" he said, turning to the other girl who, no surprise, was Kaela, "What might you two be doing on this fine winter day?"

Kaela looked up in surprised at Professor Pleiades. "Oh, hello Professor. We're busking," she said, hoping she had gotten the word right. "Er, well, Courtney is anyway."

Kale walked down to the lawn, it was a cold and slow day today at Hogwarts...nothing exciting going on. When he had noticed Courtney and Kaela sitting, he heard the soft strums of a uke in Courtney's grip. He walked over quickly, "Hello girls, what are you two doing out here in this kind of weather??" he said with a smile, he put his hands in his pockets and observed.

Courtney laughed at the professor and stopped playing for a moment. "Professor, we are busking! And yes, you have our names correct." She then looked down at the empty ukulele case, "I hope you are enjoying the music, sir."

"Good day Kale! This weather is beautiful, stay for a while, bust out an instrument if you own one!"

"Ah yes, busking," the Professor's face cracked into a grin, "A better place to do it would be Hogsmeade, not that I have any personal experience in this matter." He turned as another student strode up, "Good eve, Mr Thomas," the Professor greeted, "Our friends, Courtney and Kaela are busking, care to join them?"

Kale nodded at Courtney and Professor Pleiades. "Greetings." he looked at the instruments and continued, "Why yes, I actually do have an instrument!" he said with a smile and got up excitedly, "Let me go get my guitar. I'll be right back." Kale ran off to get his instrument, he hadn't played since he arrived at Hogwarts. While he ran towards the castle he slipped on a frozen patch of ice on the sidewalk and laughed at himself...looking back at the two girls and Professor.

The Professor laughed as the student slipped on the ice. He walked over to him and helped him up, "Why don't you trying summoning it, you are a wizard you know," he grinned.

Courtney gave Kale a thumbs up as he slipped on the ice. "You'll have to get used to the cold!" She shouted.

Kaela couldn't help but giggle at Kale as he slipped, putting her hand to her mouth as she watched the Professor help him up.

When Professor Pleiades helped Kale up he couldn't help but laugh at himself, especially when Courtney shouted at him "Thanks Courtney!" he shouted back sarcastically.

Kale looked up at the Professor with wide eyes, "You're right!" his voice almost falsetto. He then whipped out his wand from his coat pocket and faced the castle, at a slight flourish of the wand "Accio guitar" the guitar was in his possession after a couple of seconds. "Good one, Professor Pleiades" he said with a nod.

"No worries Mr Thomas, I have done the same thing myself." He walked over to the two girls, "What type of music do you play?"

((Hahaha, she))

"Well, professor, we are looking at notes from a book at the moment. But I play the ukulele, and Kaela, who is not playing at the moment, plays the trumpet." Courtney stated as she got back to playing her instrument.

"I don't really want to play because a trumpet is nowhere near the same as a string instrument. Once you tune the strings it's in tune and stays that way. If your fingers are in the right place, you just strum and you have the note you want. The trumpet isn't exact like that, it has partials."

After sucessfully summoning his guitar to himself, Kale walked back down towards Courtney and Kaela, where he removed his instrument from it's case. "This cold weather is horrible for trying to even tune these strings" he strummed the guitar while trailing off and stopped, for it gave off an unpleasant sound.

"Play Kaela!" he said loudly with a silly voice, for she hadn't really even picked up her instrument since they've been there.

The Professor noticed that Kaela seemed a bit troubled, he turned to the other two students, "Courtney, Kale. Why don't you two warm up, I'm going to ask Kaela a question," he turned to the other girl, "Would you like to come with me for a moment, I have a question for you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back