Closed Breaking the Habit

AJ Ari

Moutohora Macaws Beater | Figuring it Out

OOC First Name
Kris
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
AJ had spent a year trying to find his groove living in New Zealand but nothing had been nearly as effective as getting up every Sunday to go to the farmers' market. He liked to tell himself it was so he could keep in touch with the community here, and get some impressively big vegetables while he was at it, but he wasn't going to kid himself for long by pretending it was for any other reason than to see Lily. He didn't even want to consider how much of his salary went towards baked goods these days but it was more than worth it to get to chat to her for even a few minutes.

Today had left AJ a bit frantic; he'd slept in for once after a long practice session, his sore muscles protesting before he even got out of bed, followed up by a far too long and confusing conversation with the team's PR team before getting ambushed by his mother apparating into his living room to chat. By the time he made it out to the market, it was nearly time for it to end, most of the stalls already packing down as AJ hurried across the courtyard, relieved to see Lily hadn't left yet. "Phew, nearly thought I'd missed my weekly fix," he said, stopping in front of her stall to catch his breath with a tired smile. "Anything good left?"

Lily couldn't believe how well her stall was going. She was thinking of opening it three times of week instead of just the once, thinking that maybe she could actually start up her own little bakery if profits stayed this good. For now, though, she was making enough that she was sure she'd be able to get that flat with Rose soon. She'd spent most of the day considering how to tell Elliot. While she loved him, and while she loved Alice, she was hoping that she might be able to get out and spread her wings a bit.

Despite all her distractions, Lily had spent most of the day looking out for AJ. She'd made him a special basket of his favorite treats, and had been hoping to give it to him. She had lost hope as her time drew to a close, and she finished packing up her booth. Her eyes lit up, and she turned to him with a bright smile. "Aj! I was starting to think you weren't coming today," She teased him, brushing her hair behind her ear and taking a small step closer.

"Well, I sold out of everything," She started, before reaching under the booth and brought out a carefully wrapped wicker basket, with dozens of individually wrapped and carefully decorated treats. "At least, everything but this, I um, I made this for you this morning, it's still fresh," She smiled shyly. "I, ah... I wanted to say thank you. It's all your favorites, see," She pointed out a few of the treats, before offering it out to the man. "I ah, the booths closed down, I um, I was just about to go home," She gave him a shy smile.

AJ brushed his hair from his face, grimacing sheepishly when Lily said she wasn't sure he was going to show. It wasn't like they had a standing... Date. Or anything, but AJ did quietly like the idea that she'd noticed he hadn't come today. "Yeah, sorry, got caught up doing uh. Work stuff." As cool as it was playing Quidditch for a living, AJ still wasn't sure he was on the living to want to brag about it, especially when he wasn't sure if it was something Lily even cared about, not to mention she already knew Blake, so it wasn't like hanging out with professional players was all that impressive to her he guessed.

He clicked his tongue in disappointment when Lily said she'd sold out, already searching his mind for some sort of excuse for him to hang out around Lily anyway- maybe he could help her break down her stall or something- when pulled out a full on gift basket of stuff. "Oh uh wow. That's for me?" AJ said, feeling a little shell shocked as he took it in. "You gotta let me return the favour for this, seriously, Lily," he said, blinking through the shock as Lily mentioned she was about to leave. "Uh, but not cooking though. Or baking. But maybe still food? Dinner? I mean? I could take you. And buy. It only seems fair if you saved all this for me," he said, running a hand quickly over the basket handle. AJ must have tried to ask Lily out ten times by now over the past few months, but she always had some excuse. Surely though, the basket had to be a sign she was at least vaguely interested?

Lily smiled, she could understand being busy with work. He had a physically demanding job, that could often be dangerous. She had been studying all sorts of desserts that would support him with that, making healthier options to go with her sweet ones. She smiled as he took the basket, playing idly with a bit of her hair. "It is for you, yes," She confirmed with a light giggle.

She was surprised then as he suggested going to dinner. "Oh, sure! I am feeling pretty hungry," She agreed. She did, however, completely misunderstand. Lily had really been harbouring a crush on Aj for a long while now, but she had convinced herself he would never really hold an interest in her. "I could probably text Rosie really quick, I'm sure she wouldn't mind going out, I can pay for us of course," She mused easily, reaching into her pocket for her phone.

AJ had already braced himself for some sort of gentle rejection or excuse, Lily was often full of them though he got the impression he wasn't just getting the brush off. Despite how many times he was asked, he wasn't completely certain Lily actually realized he was asking her out. Or at least if she was, surely she would have told him to back off by now. And not make him ridiculously extravagant gift baskets. It was why AJ found himself ready with some understanding if disappointed response ready to go, just barely catching himself in time to simply boggle at her when Lily actually said yes.

"What-Really? I mean, yeah great, are you free now-" He started, perking up with the realization that she'd actually said yes only for her to suggest inviting her sister. AJ was no dating expert, but bringing your sister on a date generally didn't bode well. "I mean... Sure yeah she could come... I guess I was kind of thinking this could be like.. Just a you and me thing? Not that I'm sure she's not great and all, Rose is your sister right? I just. Yeah, no whatever, that's- Fine. It's fine. The more the merrier right?" He said, scrubbing a hand through his hair and suppressing the urge to curse. They'd been so close to a proper date and he'd somehow managed to trip right at the finish line.

Lily paused with her hand on her phone, AJs words taking her by surprise. "You and me? Like... A d-date?" Lily flushed, stuttering softly and bringing a hand up subconsciously to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. She giggled shyly, quick to correct herself. "Oh, I-I, d-don't mind me, that's silly, you wouldn't b-be- not me, you probably have plenty of people that would- I d-don't get asked on- oh dear, " Lily stuttered and covered her face with her hands. "I'm sorry, I must sound so s-silly," she managed, giving him a very shy smile and wringing her braid in her hands.

"W-we um, we can go if you want, I- er- Oh dear," Lily bit her lip, looking away as shame overtook her. She took a tiny step back. Here was AJ being a good friend and she'd twisted everything around and made it awkward. What was she thinking, there was no way AJ had meant anything. She was sure he would take back his invitation, leave her here and probably not return again. The thought made her heart twist a bit in her chest. Why did she always ruin everything?

Last edited:
AJ did his best to keep his face blank as Lily stumbled through the realization that he was asking her out. As if he hadn't been trying and failing to ask her out for weeks now. Was he really that bad at this? "Yeah uh. You and me. On a date. Is that cool?" He said slowly, nodding along.

Watching Lily's reaction, he'd moved past mortified at his own inability to apparently ask woman out and straight into bemused at Lily's overwhelmed reaction. "Lily I have been trying to ask you since pretty much the day I met you," he said earnestly, trying to catch her eye as she stuttered and fussed with her hair. "I was starting to think I was barking up the wrong tree here but maybe I just need to be more direct?" AJ resisted the urge to fuss with his own hair, but only barely, if only because he'd pulled it back into a bun today. "Hey, Lily, my talented, sweet, baker friend, would you like to go to dinner with me tonight, together, you and me, on a date, romantically, with like flowers and maybe some candles and stuff because I am interested in you?" He said, cracking into a self-conscious smile as he made his way through the sentence.

Lily was startled to say the very least when AJ confirmed he wanted to go on a date. A date. With her. Her eyes widened and her face flushed. Her hands came up to cover her mouth and she stared at AJ for too long, stunned into silence. She jumped suddenly as if she'd been kicked. "Yes," she managed, the word coming out more like a squeak than anything resembling speech.

She cleared her throat quickly, twisting her braid nervously. "O-oh dear, er, I mean, yes," she tried again, and for a brief moment reached out for his hand with her own. She decided against it almost immediately and drew her hand back quickly, biting her lip. "I um, let me just get f-freshened up," she murmured, starting to back up quickly. She would need to find something to wear, do her hair, put on some make up.

She started to turn away when she realized that AJ knew nothing about where she lived and didn't have her contact information. "Oh!" She gasped, and rushed back to him. She took his hand, not noticing immediately how close she'd gotten, pulling a pen from her pocket. She scribbled down her address and phone number onto his palm, trying her best to keep her hand from shaking. She put the pen into his hand and closed his fingers around it. She peeked up, shyly, and on a brash impulse Lily pushed up on her tiptoes and pressed a feather light kiss just under his jaw.

Smiling shyly, Lily turned and rushed away, her mind absolutely racing. She had a few hours to get ready. She bit her lip. She needed to go see Alice. Now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back