Breaking In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda Dalton

OOC First Name
Camilla!
Wand
Eucalyptus Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Mermaid Scale
As the Library closed, Lucy snuck over to the door of the restricted section, and whispered the password. Password she'd conned out of one of the professors - Professor Glasson, saying she wanted to know more about History than what she could learn in the main section of the library. It was dubious, but the Professor had gone for it, and given her the password. She hoped there weren't any other security charms on the restricted section or anything, but Lucy suspected if she could get the password, that was all she needed.
As the door clicked open, she beckoned Landon over, ushering him in to the restricted section before the door closed.
"Okay," she breathed. "We're in. What now?"

((Apologies for godmodding and also the really lame break-in. I'm working on the assumption that after hours the Library still has enchantments on the books e.t.c.))

Landon followed Lucy into the restricted section. His heart was racing, thumping against his chest and Landon had the feeling it wasn't entirely due to the fact they were breaking rules.
Landon grinned at Lucy, his breathing quite fast as his body was filled with adrenaline.
"I can't believe we just did that." He breathed although he knew that the night was far from over- They had to leave without being caught.
"Right.. Well, I suppose we should look for the sort of cover you would least suspect to hide dark secrets." Landon smiled in the darkness, lit the tip of his wand and began searching the bookshelves.
A red covered book with a good caking of dust rested on one of the shelves.
Landon picked it off and blew at the cover. In gold were the words The Cursed and Cursing.
Landon turned to Lucy as though to ask her if he dare to open it.

"Neither can I," Lucy admitted, with a slight smirk. The sweet, innocent, rule abiding Lucinda Buckley, breaking rules? It was not in her nature. But perhaps that was for the best? Perhaps it really was in her nature, and now she was finally finding herself? She had to make up for being naively led in to helping out Isabella Chaos, the Gossip Girl. She had to prove herself.
Although she wondered if rule-breaking was the best way to go about that.
Still, she was with Landon. And because of that, Lucy felt pretty safe. She trusted him.
Illuminating her wand, Lucy began to look about the shelves, at all the dusty tomes. Such old books, containing such secrets, no doubt. All dark and mysterious. Lucy had to admit, now she was starting to feel a little scared. Still, books couldn't hurt her, could they? Besides, it wasn't as if either of them were actually going to try using the dark magic or anything. They were just curious.
"Th...The Cursed and Cursing?" Lucy whispered, frightened a little by the title. "Books can't hurt, books can't hurt," she repeated to herself, a mantra to tell herself not to be afraid.

Landon nodded to Lucy.
Nothing in here could actually hurt them as long as they avoided trying the magic.. right?
Landon gripped his wand in his right palm, moving his fingers to either side of the book and gently opening it.
The book dropped open to a page of curses. Landon peered down at it, beginning to read when-
"Argh!" Landon let out a half shout as two gleaming red eyes materialized between the pages.
The eyes stared at Landon and blinking.
He slammed the book shut in shock an replaced it on it's shelf.
"Well.. That was certainly.. unexpected."
Landon tried to smile confidently at Lucy; He wasn't going to show fear in front of her, not true fear. Gryffindors were supposed to be brave.

Lucy swallowed, nervously, as Landon moved to open the book. The Sorting Hat had ummed and ahhed over putting her in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, but it had decided on Ravenclaw in the end. And that was a good thing, too, Lucy wasn't exactly brave. Intelligent, yes - although sneaking in to the restricted section wasn't the brightest of ideas, nor was blindly trusting Isabella Chaos with that whole Gossip Girl thing - but far from brave.
As Landon opened the book, Lucy had to supress a shriek when two eyes appeared between the pages. Oh dear, oh dear, this isn't good, Lucy thought to herself, worrying. Slightly terrified, Lucy grabbed Landon's hand in her own. She wasn't sure how he'd react to that odd gesture, but Lucy wanted comfort and reassurance. She wanted to be as sure as she could that she wasn't alone in here.

Landon suddenly felt Lucy grab his hand.
It was a moment before Landon's brain registered this and suddenly he felt ten feet tall.
His heart was warmed by this small and unexpected gesture but Landon gave Lucy a small smile and gave her hand a gentle squeeze.
"Don't worry," Landon said in comforting tones, "Books cannot physically hurt us.. Unless they fall on you, that might hurt."
Landon gave a light hearted chuckle as he said this. He himself was nervous but with Lucy by his side, he felt like he could do anything. Landon had felt like this from the moment he knew Lucy.
"Right then," he muttered, more to himself than Lucy. "Let's pick a slightly nicer titled book.."
Landon's eyes scrolled across and along the shelves of books. One book made him feel ill. Wizarding Scum: Mudbloods
No wonder this book was in this section. It discusted Landon.
He turned his eyes to another book Eternal Life; Chapter 1.
This book was brown with an engraved cover and was incredibly thick.
"If that's chapter one," Landon said to Lucy, "I'd hate to see the size of the full works."

Lucy felt so much better with Landon by her side, she felt at ease and semi-comfortable. Despite the fact that she was in a rather eerie part of the library...after hours. Still, as long as she was with Landon, Lucy knew she'd be fine. She couldn't quite explain why that was, but she supposed it was because she trusted him. He was her friend, after all. Friends didn't let friends get hurt. "I won't," she said, obligingly, before smiling and softly chuckling at his comment about books causing physical hurt.
As they looked around the shelves, Lucy cringed a little as she noticed a book or two with the word 'mudblood' in their titles. She hated that term. Even if she was muggleborn, Lucy knew she had just as much right to be a witch as a pureblood. It horrified her, how people would discriminate based on heritage. But that was the way of the world, racism and blood supremacy. Putting that out of her mind, her eyes locked on to the book Landon was referring to. "Heh, can you imagine how long that would be? As long as eternal life, I suppose," she muttered, dreamily. "Imagine living forever. What would you do with yourself for all that time?"

"I would hate to live forever," Landon said honestly, taking the book down from the shelf and flicking through the hundreds of thousands of pages. "It would mean witnessing losing those you love.." At this moment, Landon looked to Lucy. His cheeks pinked slightly and he mentally slapped himself. Stop looking. She doesn't think of you like that.
Landon gave Lucy a gentle smile before looking down at the book before him.
It suddenly came to Landon that he had never actually mentioned his blood status to Lucy having always avoided the subject.
He didn't want to ruin their friendship with stupid ideas about pureblood supremacy.
Landon scanned through some text. "Aha," he said after a few moments, "I believe this book does not tell you how to live forever but how to prolong the inevitable.. Here it says something about story part of your soul in something to preserve it.. But you would still lose your body if you died, even if your mind lived on.. And that's only limited.."
Landon read the words describing the process. If Landon wanted to make something called a 'horcrux' then he'd have to kill[i/] people to divide his soul. "I think I'll stick to mortality, thanks." He said, closing the book and placing it back on the shelf.
"How about you choose one," Landon suggested, turning to Lucy. "I seem to only pick out the most gruesome books."

"Me too," Lucy admitted. "You'd get bored after so many years. And there's only so much you can learn, and, like you said, you'd have to lose your loved ones," she added, quietly.
Leaning over, against Landon's shoulder in order to have a look at the text, Lucy shuddered as she saw what the process involved. "Ick, that sounds horrible. Why would anyone want to do that to themselves?" she questioned, having a vague idea of what the answer might be but not wanting to think about it. "I just want to live the rest of my life as I am...I think," she stated, trailing off a little. "Though I'm not quite the same person I was when I came here. I'm glad," she said, facing Landon with a smile.
"Okay," she whispered, looking around the shelves until she saw something interesting. "Ahhh..." her hand rested on a copy of Moste Potente Potions. "Potions has always fascinated me. I'm hopeless at it but the stuff they brew is interesting," she explained, taking the copy down and passing it over to Landon. "Umm...you do the honours," she said, a little frightened again. Landon was the Gryffindor, he was probably more capable of handling anything that came from that book. If anything did.

Landon took the book from Lucy. This book sounded rather more tame than the other titles Landon had considered.
He placed a hand either side and opened the book.
Nothing leapt from the book, stared at landon or spoke. He deemed this a safe book and handed it back to Lucy to read.
"I wonder what potions they'd ban.. and most of all, why? ..I heard there was a potion which would turn the drinker inside out.. But I'm sure that was just a rumor..." At least, Landon hoped it was. He wasn't fond of the idea.

"Seems rather odd," she mused, as she took the book back from Landon with trembling hands. Stopping on a random page, Lucy paused to read. "Polyjuice Potion. Makes the drinker appear as someone else. For an hour. But wow," she murmured, skimming down the page. "But it looks really hard to brew...it takes days," Lucy added. Being of an inquisitive mind, she tried to wonder what people could do with that potion. "It's a bit like King Uther, Merlin made him look like Ygerna's husband for a night and in the morning she was pregnant and he wasn't her husband." Realising she had just very well said one of the nerdiest things she'd ever said, Lucy blushed, and quickly added "um, History of Magic. Favourite class. I remember stuff from it." She quickly turned away, blushing profusely. But why did she care so much what Landon thought of her? It was Landon, her friend...and yet the thought of him turning on her and leaving her was one of the worst possible things Lucy could ever imagine. But why? Lucy wondered, unsure. Maybe it was a fear of loneliness thing, but that sure didn't explain the feeling she got when he looked her in the eyes...

Landon was impressed by Lucy's knowledge.
He had not paid as much attention in History of Magic as her and felt almost the need to applaud her.
"I'd love Polyjuice potion.. you could become pretty much anyone.. I'd become one of the Professors just so I could have a look around all the hidden parts of the castle.." Landon smiled, wondering how much of the castle he still didn't know of. He turned to Lucy, "How about you? Who would you become?"

Lucy had to think about the answer to that question first. She had no idea who she would become if she had the chance. "I am not sure...maybe one of the Prefects to see what that's like," she shrugged. "Or a Professor, like you said. But it would be kinda scary, I mean," she paused, lowering her voice even more. "What if you ran in to the real Professor?" she questioned, wondering what sort of confusion would entail. Of course, the Professor would know the student was a false, but for a second there would be utmost confusion. Now that she thought about it, that would actually be quite amusing. "It's not as bad as something I read about, a time-turner. Going back in time, and you have to make sure you keep out of your own view or that would be chaotic..." she mused, before realising she was rambling. "Sorry, I must be boring you," Lucy said, quietly, realising she was probably quickly making a bad impression on Landon.

Landon smiled at Lucy's musings.
When she said she thought she was boring Landon, he almost jumped back to life.
"No, no, you never bore me."
Landon only realized after he had said this how awkward it was.
"Um.. yeah." Landon gave Lucy a shy smile and reached up for another book.
He wasn't paying attention to it as he reached past Lucy.
Landon opened the book. It was then he noticed what sort of book it was;
This book was one about 'mud-bloods'.
Landon began almost juggling the book as though it were made of fire.
It was then he also realized that he would have to face facts sooner or later.
"Do you.. um.. dislike pure bloods? I mean, because of all the stereotyping and.. stuff."

"Really?" Lucy asked, feeling a blush rise in her cheeks again. "Aww, yay!" she said, happily. She hadn't scared him away yet. Always a good thing. She happily returned his smile, too busy looking at him to notice the book he had grabbed. "Oh," she said, a little dismayed. "Why do they have to let these sort of publications in the Library? Well, I suppose they can't be biased, but still," she muttered, looking somewhat unhappy. She couldn't really be unhappy around Landon, but that book had certainly dampened the mood. "And no? I couldn't really dislike purebloods, that would be the same as me being a pureblood and disliking muggles and muggle-borns. Besides, I'm sure they're good people. Well, unless they're really caught up in that whole attitude thing," she added, a little incoherently.

Landon pushed the book back onto it's shelf and turned his bright green eyes on Lucy.
He really liked her. He knew that now and that was perhaps why he decided it was time to say something.
"I.. I'm a.." Landon cleared his throat, took a breath and tried to announce casually "I'm a pureblood."
He hoped this wasn't the wrong thing to say. She'd find out one day and it was better he tell her now.

Lucy met Landon's green eyes with her own blue ones, causing her heart to speed up slightly. What the... she thought, confused by this reaction. Listening to his words, Lucy nodded, slowly. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "Wow. You don't fit the stereotype at all," she said, before realising how stupid that sounded. "You're not all hung up on blood status, I mean if you were, you wouldn't be associating with me, would you?" Lucy stated, with a smile. "Definately the most awesome pureblood around," she winked. "Not that I really know many. But you're awesome anyway," she blurted, reddening yet again. How stupid can you sound?

Landon had an overwhelming urge which for once he decided to obey..
"Who wouldn't want to hang around with you?" Landon smiled, he had lain his wand on the lower part of the bookshelf and it rolled, hitting the floor and sending the light briefly to his already glowing eyes.
In one swift movement, Landon moved forwards and wrapped his arms round Lucy, his chin on her shoulder.
As Landon hugged her, he began to panic. He didn't want Lucy to think he was rushing anything.. Not that anything was going on of course but still..
Landon stepped back from the brief hug and acted as though it had never happened even though his pink cheeks were like an open book. He picked up his wand and began searching the books again.

It took Lucy a moment to realise what was going on. Not since she'd been home for Christmas had she been hugged, and that was from her mother. Still, she was a bit stunned that Landon would do such a thing, but Lucy didn't mind at all. Although she was certain he would feel the fast beating of her heart. Maybe that was why he stepped back so quickly as she raised her arms to hug him back. Equally as embarassed as he looked, Lucy rubbed her arm, awkwardly, looking over at the shelves to see if she could see anything else of interest, but she wasn't really seeing anything.

Landon could hear his heart thumping in his ears.
Lucy had tried to hug him back and he'd moved away. He felt like such an idiot.
Landon wanted to try it all again but the moment had passed and now they stood awkwardly in a place they should not be.
He pointed his wand down at his watch. Time had practically flown by- It was nearing 1am.
"It's getting late.." Landon said, not looking at Lucy for a moment.
He then turned to her, his eyes not really seeing anything. He was thinking but he knew he needed to speak.
"Nearing one in the morning.." Landon zoomed back from his thoughts and looked at Lucy, his spark coming back to him.
"Want to do a bit more exploring or shall we go?" Landon held out his for Lucy, his heart racing.
He was smiling now, happy his confidence had returned.
They ran the risk of being caught either way so it didn't really matter when they left.

"Hmmm," Lucy muttered, before attempting to stifle a very audible yawn. "So it is." Her brain was a jumble of thought at that moment, more so than usual. And she couldn't pin any of them down. She hated not understanding but right now, Lucy did not understand. "I'm happy to keep looking if you are," she said, a twinkle in her eyes. They were already breaking enough rules, why did they have to stop now? Looking around, Lucy spied a book entitled Ancient Magic. "I wonder why this is restricted," she whispered, having a look at the cover. "Magic from before the dawn of time."

Landon shuffled close to Lucy to see the book.
"Ancient magic.. There's probably a spell to cause a plague breakout or something." Landon joked, deciding now that the awkwardness would hover above their heads for some time.
Landon was just looking at the old book with some interest when he heard a loud 'clank'.
He looked to Lucy and grabbed her arm, pressing a finger to his lips.
"Someone's here." Landon breathed, frozen like a statue.
He didn't think they would get out of the library without being spotted but being in the restricted section meant a lot more trouble.

"Something like that," Lucy shrugged, with a giggle. Hearing the clanking noise, Lucy went to make noise, but was stopped by Landon grabbing her arm and putting his finger to his lips. Frightened, Lucy grabbed on to Landon's arm and huddled against him, closing her eyes. "I hope we don't get in too much trouble," she breathed, barely audible. Maybe it would be somebody nice, and they wouldn't get in to too much trouble. Lucy could only hope. She'd never really been in trouble before.

Landon decided he wasn't letting Lucy get into trouble.
"Come on," he whispered, pulling her behind the bookshelf.
Whoever it was began walking round. Their footsteps echoed and Landon felt like his breathing was suddenly magnified.
The person was approaching their hiding place.
Landon nodded to Lucy and moved quickly and quietly to the next bookshelf.
Yes, they could do this for some time, but what would happen when they reached the end of the bookshelves?
Landon suddenly had an idea.
"Right," he breathed to Lucy, looking her full on in the eyes, "We have to move fast.. We're leaving now before we get caught.. Just try not to make any noise."
Landon was upset to have to cut their adventure short but he was doing what he was doing for the best.

Lucy quickly followed Landon behind the bookshelf. She was so glad for having done netball, amongst other sports at school. It gave her some agility and fitness. It wasn't as though she was going to collapse at any point. And now that the adrenaline was rushing, she wasn't feeling tired any more. Now she was only slightly panicked that they'd get caught. She simply nodded at his instructions, trying to remain as quiet as possible. Lucy snuck very quickly along the bookshelves, until she was as close to the door as possible, before turning around to make sure Landon was with her. She couldn't do this without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back