OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Straight, firm nine inch Oak wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Amelie wondered sometimes if writing to someone from their opposing team was against the rules. She ignored it. She had met Hyun after their last match, and there was just... something about him. She settled into her bed, pulling out her parchment to try and write out another letter.

Dear Hyun,
How are you? It's been a while. How has life been for you? Things are going well here. School is alright. I'm still the alternate seeker, though Hugo- our seeker- seems to always be angry with me. I do well during practices- catching the snitch four times or more. I don't mind so much which of us do better. I only play Quidditch so that I can play with others. My cousin is a chaser for the French National team so playing always helps me feel closer to him. Why do you play?
Do you have interests outside of Quidditch? I myself enjoy coloring, and I'm fascinated with puzzles. Landscapes especially. I can sit for hours just putting together a puzzle and humming softly to myself. I also really like flowers. I don't know much about them, but I enjoy walking through the gardens. Watching the skies is also very relaxing for me. Have you ever gone out on your broom just for leisure? The wind in your hair, the sun on your back, it's the nicest feeling. Write back soon, alright?

~Amelie

Hyun was a little surprised when he received a letter from Amelie. He'd spoken to the younger girl after their last match and she seemed nice enough, he supposed. But he hadn't actually expected her to write to him. Not that he was complaining, pushing aside the boring Charms homework he had been doing and instantly moving to write a reply to the girl.

Amelie,

I was surprised to receive your letter, but it is a nice distraction from all this OWLs studying I have to try and do. But I have been good, thank you for asking. This Hugo just seemed to be jealous of you, so I'd just ignore him and keep doing what you're doing. You clearly have a skill for Quidditch and it would be a shame for it to go to waste just because someone's upset you're doing better than them. But for me? I just play because I enjoy it, I don't really have much of a profound reason.

I've actually been playing the piano since I was very young as my mother thought it was good for kids to be able to play an instrument. And, as it turned out, I'm apparently quite a prodigy. My teacher is constantly telling me I could play professionally in some big orchestra or be a soloist if I wanted to. But, I don't really know if I want to. I enjoy playing, but not sure I want to make a career out of it or anything. But outside of practice, I don't really get much of a chance for casual flying, too much homework, and studying to be doing instead if I want to keep my perfect GPA.

Regards,
Hyun.

Amelie was curled up in a window reading when the letter came in. She smiled, reading it over before writing out another reply of her own.

Dear Hyun,
I'm happy to be a pleasant distraction. Myself, I have never put too much effort into my studies. I do my work, of course, and my grades are alright, but I don't spend too much time fussing over it. As for Hugo, I've been trying to ignore him, it just hurts a bit when I'm trying to play a friendly game and he glares anytime he's close to me. I thought of quitting once, but I decided that playing was more important to me than some boys feelings.

The piano? I can't play any instruments myself, but my cousins' fiancé is very skilled with music. I believe Onyx can play the piano, the guitar, and the drums. I'm eager to meet him, I'd like to hear his music. Perhaps you could play for me as well, eventually? Only if you wouldn't mind, of course. If I can ask, have you put much thought into what you would like to do? Professional Quidditch perhaps? I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre Dame right now, and I'm afraid Quasimodo is calling me, but do write back when you have a moment. ~Amelie

He had just gotten in from Quidditch practice when he saw the new letter waiting for him, smiling as he sat down in an empty chair in the common room to read it over and write out a reply.

Amelie,

You see, when you have my parents, you don't get much of a choice in the matter when it comes to studying. They've always expected the highest standards and it's never much of a good idea to disappoint them with anything less than the best. I suppose it's a good thing I'm a quick study anyway. But, it's good your ignoring him, who cares what he thinks? Just keep doing what you're doing. Have you tried just scowling at him back? Our current keeper is a right d**k to everyone so I know what it's like. I may have chucked a quaffle at his face on purpose once. It was therapeutic.

I'd be happy to play for you sometime if you want to hear it. But yeah, I have thought about it some, and Professional Quidditch did come up in those thoughts. But I just don't really know. Doubt my parents would approve too much, they probably want me to end up either in the Korean Ministry or MACUSA. But even that sounds incredibly boring.

Hyun

Amelie was out for a stroll in the gardens when she got the letter. She smiled at the owl, giving him a soft scratch beneath the chin before settling down onto a bench and reading over the page with a gentle smile. She picked an ivory rose from nearby and took a bit of parchment from her bag. As she finished the letter, she rolled it, taking a blue ribbon from her bag. She tied the letter, with the rose, before giving both to the owl and running her fingers over his feathers again before sending him off with a soft kiss.

Dear Hyun,
Fortunately my parents are not so strict about my grades. They seem to be generally more concerned with my happiness. I'm sorry that your parents are so strict. Is it hard? I can't imagine what it must be like to have parents that would be so cross with a bad grade. Do they not care about your happiness? Or is it their way of trying to be sure you're happy? I'm sorry if that's too bold of me to say.
As for Hugo, I think it upsets him that I hum while I search during practices. It doesn't really bother me, I suppose, I like to hum little tunes to myself. Your keeper... that is the blond with the sunglasses, isn't it? The older boy that is always blowing kisses to our chasers? He seems a bit... well, he seems to have a high opinion of himself. I think I would have very much have liked to see you hit him in the face with a Quaffle.

I would very much enjoy hearing you play, I think. I've always thought the piano was a beautiful instrument. I play a little bit myself, but nothing really special. If you do end up in Professional Quidditch, then I'll need to come see you play sometime. It must be different, seeing someone play and playing against them. It's too bad I couldn't go see the lot of you play against Hogwarts. Was it Slytherin? They always seem to be the leading team. The Irons boy is really something.
I suppose if being in MACUSA or the ministry is really something you want, then go for it! With a career like that, I would certainly consider wither or not it really makes you happy. I've thought of a few different things myself- Quidditch maybe or even being a florist. I was actually strolling through the gardens when I received your letter. I'm including an Ivory rose. They are said to represent charm, thoughtfulness, and gracefulness. Ivory colored roses also represent richness and perfection. They're a great way of letting someone know you care- without the romantic intentions often tied to white, red, pink, and even purple roses. This letter is getting fairly long. I should let you get back to your studies.
~Always, Amelie

Hyun was more than a little surprised when the response from Amelie came attached with a flower. He almost felt himself going a little red in the face, thankful that no one else was around to ask any questions about it. He wasted no time in writing a response, making sure to set the rose to the side so he could find somewhere to put it later.

Amelie,

When it comes to my parents, I think they care more about their own reputations than me and my siblings. Especially seeing as they cut off my older brother for being in a relationship with a Muggle. Though, that was more about them wanting to ensure magical heirs than anything else. But you get used to it and I really don't mind the studying, so it works out.

Well, screw him, honestly. You do you and ignore what he thinks. But yes, that would be him. He's a total narcissist who's obsessed with himself and seemed to think he is some sort of god on the pitch or something. And he gave everyone else a hard time. No one actually likes him. Thankfully, he's graduating now so we don't have to put up with him anymore.

Hey, I'd always be happy to teach you a bit sometime. But my future career is still a little ways off yet, I still have to worry about graduating first because actually deciding on anything. Yeah, it was Slytherin, though I don't know about Irons because he actually got knocked out of the game pretty early on. As did a bunch of other players as well, our beaters were really on it that game. Unfortunately, we still lost, though. I don't mind, though. Those Hogwarts players were annoying Adam and that was hilarious, so it was worth it.

Thank you for the flower, it is very pretty.

Hyun

Amelie was curled up in her bed, listening to the rain on her window, when the letter arrived. She smiled. It was always so nice to hear from Hyun. It was a bit odd. She opened the parchment and read over the letter before replying to it with one of her own. This time she tucked a sprig of blue lilacs in when she tied hers.

Hyun,

I suppose you're right. But just because you're used to it doesn't mean you should be. I'm glad you seem alright with it... though I do wish you had it a little bit better. I can't imagine having parents that would disown a child for any reason. Of course, I'm an only child, but my aunt and uncle wouldn't disown any of their three children either. Oh, don't mind me. I suppose I'm just a bit of a worrier.

Somehow, I think that boy is single. I can't imagine anyone putting up with an ego like that. Or him thinking that any one person would be good enough. I must be an old school romantic, but I have always thought it must be nice to have someone to be with. I wouldn't know- I like someone on my team, but I think that they may like someone else. I see the looks they share. I'm trying not to let it get me down, but I can't help but think that it makes sense that Gabi likes someone else- she is beautiful and sweet and I'm just a kid that likes flowers and coloring.

How old are you right now? I'm 13 and a half. I would like that, I haven't put enough effort into learning piano as I should. It really is a beautiful instrument. I'm not surprised it was Slytherin. It's good your players took out Blake, he's a very strong seeker. I'm glad the Slytherin team gave Adam a hard time. I can't imagine being on a team where he's the captain. It's no wonder Slytherin won; if you don't have a strong leader and a solid team, it's almost impossible to function properly.

I'm glad you like the flower. I love flowers myself. I'm sending you a sprig of blue lilacs this time. They're delightfully aromatic, and the blue lilacs symbolize happiness and tranquility. White lilacs symbolize purity and innocence. Magenta lilacs symbolize love and passion. Lilac, the color for which this flower is named, is a light purple that symbolizes a first love. Personally I believe they're one of the prettiest flowers.

~Amelie

There was yet another flower attached to the letter he received and he couldn't help but smile a little. He wouldn't mind if this kept up, if he were being honest.

Amelie,

It could be worse, I could have not adjusted to it and ended up hating my life because my parents made everything difficult. But, thankfully, I have adjusted to it all just fine and while it is not perfect, I can manage. So, it's alright. And I still see my brother, even though my parents disapprove of it. He's family and I'm not going to cut him off.

Pretty sure he is. No one can put up with him for long enough to want to date him. Romance is a hard thing. Not that I would really know, but my parents really are starting to nag me about finding someone, so it's probably something I should be putting some more effort into. But I don't think it should be forced, so it's hard to rush these things. But hey, don't put yourself down so much, you seem pretty wonderful to me.

Me? I'm turning sixteen in a month. So currently I am fifteen, but not for much longer! Well, if we meet again, I'd be happy to play piano for you. Yeah, I'm sure knocking out Irons did help prolong the game, but it didn't really help in the end. Honestly, Adam as captain is completely insufferable. He constantly belittles everyone, made one of the other chasers want to quit the team because he felt bullied, and is always calling out lovely seeker rubbish.

I know absolutely nothing about flowers. Unfortunately, Herbology was never really one of my strong suits. So all these lessons are quite interesting, thank you.

Hyun

Amelie was enjoying her letters from Hyun as much as she was enjoying the letters from Jordie. Maybe even a little bit more. She settled in to her seat, scribbling out a reply for her newest friend.

Dear Hyun,

I'm glad that you still talk to your brother. I know I would be sad if you stopped talking to me, I could imagine it would be worse for your brother. You said he married a muggle; can I ask about that? What can I say, I'm French. We're a romantic people.

Speaking of romance, I'm sure you'll find someone wonderful. If you like them, they must be. If you're thinking on it now, can I ask what you're looking for in an ideal partner? Since my cousin got engaged I've been putting some thought into it. Of course it's important to consider personality and connection, but it never hurts to have goals, right?

So you're three years older than me, right? I turn fourteen in November. Maybe you can teach me a new song for my birthday? I can send you a whole bouquet for your birthday if you'd like. As for your team, did the other chaser quit? It's a shame that Adam is such a bully. It's hard to play well when you're being belittled by your teammates. Maybe when we play together next year we can sit and talk more?

I'm sending along a pink Alstroemeria this time. It's also called the Peruvian lily. Alstroemeria is one of the most popular flowers that represent bonds. Meanings that have deep roots in friendship are strength, devotion, and mutual support. The six individual petals each mean something: patience, empathy, respect, humor, understanding, and commitment.

You don't have to know much about flowers to enjoy how pretty they are. There may be a lot of deeper meaning behind flowers, but I think that flowers should be appreciated for personal meaning as well. I'll do my best to always send you flowers that represent our friendship, so you should always know how I feel. I should get going now, though, so have a good time, alright?

~Amelie

There was yet another flower and Hyun smiled, setting it to the side for later. He was drying them out and keeping them, so he was actually pleased he was starting to grow his little collection from Amelie.

Amelie,

You have nothing to worry about, I'm not going to suddenly stop talking to you for no reason. I enjoy our conversations, after all. But there isn't really much to say on the matter. He met a Muggle after he graduated and fell in love, that's all there is to it. Parents didn't approve and were worried about fully magical heirs, so cut him off.

Ah well, there isn't anyone yet. And I haven't really put any thought into it in the slightest. There isn't some ideal type I'm looking for, just so long as they are a nice person and we can have a conversation then that's all that really matters. Looks or personality and hobbies don't matter. Having lofty goals is just going to end up bringing you disappointment when you don't find anyone like that.

Technically it's two and a bit. But sure, is there a song, in particular, you would like to learn? As my own birthday, it is quite alright you don't need to do anything. But no, Lucas is still on the team and we were actually both named the new co-captains now that Adam and Eli are graduating. As is most of the team, actually. I hope we get some fresh faces next year, otherwise, there won't be much of a team left for you to play against.

But I agree, I can at least appreciate how pretty the flowers are even if I don't really understand much about them.

Hyun

Amelie was feeling pleased with herself, made a little more confident by Hyuns compliments to her. She settled into her comforter, scribbling out a reply and attaching an Angelica flower to the letter.

Dear Hyun,

I'm glad you enjoy our conversations, I enjoy receiving letters from you. That's sweet, other than your parents reaction. Is having magical heirs really so important? I suppose you are right, however, about having lofty ideals. It doesn't hurt to dream a bit, though.

I'm not sure, something pretty I suppose. Maybe you can find a song that makes you think of me? That would be a lovely gesture, I think. I'll come up with something for your birthday anyway, silly. You're a wonderful person and I want to celebrate you. I'll think of something, I'm sure.

I'm actually going to take a bit of inspiration from you and confess my feelings to my crush. I'm sending a sprig of an Angelica flower today- it isn't the prettiest flower there is, but it means 'inspiration'. Hopefully by the next letter you send, I'll have someone special.

Also, I'm glad that you're the captain! That's really good! Lucas, Lucas... if he's the chaser that stayed, is that the blond boy that was really small last year and then came back three feet taller? Whatever happened to the other boy? The snowy haired one that Lucas would hover near? Is he alright? I hope Adam didn't upset him in some way.

I'm off now, so have a good day, alright?

~Amelie

Yet another flower arrived for him and Hyun chuckled lightly as he set it to the side so he could write a response. At this rate, she was going to run out of flowers to send him.

Amelie,

Well, to my parents, yes. My siblings and I are first-generation Purebloods after some selective... breeding. So it's sort of down to us to keep that going as our magical lines almost died out in the past before because of lots of marriages to muggles and squibs being born. Of course, dreaming is fine, but don't let it cloud your judgement too much or you'll end up suffering for it.

What sort things are you into so I have some sort of idea where to start looking for inspiration for a song? Because we haven't really gotten a chance to really know each other, only meeting the once for less than a day and you can't really know a person through letters. But how are you going to celebrate my birthday when you don't know the exact date?

I wish you all the luck with that! You have to tell me how it goes for sure. You sound like a great person so I'm sure it'll go well for you. You just need some confidence in yourself and simply be yourself.

Thanks, I'm a little worried, but I hope with us as Captains it might be a smooth ride as we are nothing like Adam. But yeah, that's the guy. Sure surprised when he showed up for school and was suddenly taller than me by a long shot. But the other guy ended up leaving the team. Not because of Adam, though. He just was never that into Quidditch and lost his reason for playing.

Hyun

Amelie made it back to the castle, her eyes brimming with tears. She hurried to her room, keeping her head down low. She held the lilac tightly in her hand. Gaby had really rejected her. She fell into her bed. She wanted to cry, but the tears just hadn't spilled over. She sat up, hurt and frustrated and unsure what to do. She spotted the letter from Hyun on her desk and she picked it up, reading it over again. Trying to distract herself, she pulled out a new parchment and scribbled a reply, hardly aware of the tears smudging the ink in spots. She tied the lilac to the letter and sent it off.

Hyun,

It doesn't matter anymore. I confessed to my crush and it... didn't go well, she rejected me. I was silly to think someone like her would notice me. This lilac was for her, but she didn't want it. Purple signifies first love. I was silly to think she wanted a flower from me. I don't want to throw it away, but you can, if you don't want it. I wouldn't blame you if you did.

I like puzzles, usually nature puzzles of lakes and streams and oceans. I suppose that's very telling, I like the water. And I like nature. And flowers. I just like outside. It's pretty and dangerous sometimes. You're right, it's hard to know someone through letters. Do you want to meet again over break? I can travel to see you, my mother won't mind.

~Amelie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back