Birth Dates on Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Holland

Title self exploratory, just to have birth dates on profile? To make it a lot easier to update background profiles and such.
Thanks

& Maddy

There is already any "Age" field on the profile, which you are correct in that it needs regular updating. I think this is easier, though, than putting a birthday and having everybody do the math to figure out just how old your character is.
It would have to be one or the other, in my opinion. Otherwise, if for some reason they contradict each other, people wouldn't know what to go with.
I also don't like the idea of a "Birthday" field for your characters as there is already a "Birthday" field required by law for you to register on the board (as per COPPA). Differentiating between the two could be confusing for newer members. I've already had to code in to the board an alteration of the existing profile field so it is made clear that it is OOC. If that confused some well experienced members in the past, this could confuse some new ones.

Regardless, I am open to the idea if a significant number of people would prefer it to the "Age" field. I would advise against it, but if people want it instead they should indicate so here. :)

Otherwise, my answer is no for the reasons stated above (and I hope they make sense to you).

Honestly, I think that the Age field is much easier. I keep Hilde and all characters official birthdays in their bios and when I need to check things, I just go there to figure it out. I also keep birthdays in the notes section of the profile area. I find that quick and easy to look at.

Have it be a text field, allowing for date of birth and age to be added?. :)

It may cause contradiction if they don't edit the age, but for someone like me; I well actually see when the age needs changing. I have no idea how old my peoples are. xD

This could also allow users to have their characters throw surprise birthday parties and such. People are lazy. Not many would look through a biography before having that idea. But if it was over there <--- they might have that idea. :tut:

I had had an idea before about using jQuery to calculate the age, taking the entered date; and subtracting it from the current HNZ date. Maybe bug the code team?
Oh noes! Spelling mistakes!

We need edits in here! :o

*hides in shame*

Tony Alraur said:
I had had an idea before about using jQuery to calculate the age, taking the entered date; and subtracting it from the current HNZ date. Maybe bug the code team?
A similar idea had crossed my mind, but then all birthdates would have to be placed in a specific order/format in order for such a code to operate.
I'm also not particularly interested in another code that has to run on every single topic load for every single poster individually.

Do others have an opinion on this topic?

My personal opinion is that having the birthdate other than one OOC in the profile field would be rather unhelpful.
You might forget every once and a while, but you do need to keep your bio updated, or put a link to it in your signature if you can't be bothered going to find it.
I prefer age over birthdate. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back