Sydney Townsend

Amateur Duellist | Smarter Than You

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Sydney wasn't usually one to leave deadlines so late, at least not for HM. She didn't put much stock into essays and assignments she didn't find interesting, but when it came to the paper, Sydney did care about things getting done on time. But she'd been busy a lot this semester, throwing herself into her own self-study after things imploded with Samantha and she betrayed her for Ren. The evening was getting on, though there was still time before curfew, though Sydney was glad she didn't have to worry about that as much now that she was a prefect. The perks of the stupid badge were limited, but that was one. She scrubbed a hand down her face and tried to turn her attention back to her article and not on less pressing things.

Running the Monthly was more of a job than Nell had expected it to be, and though she had a decent handle on her duties after a year in the role, it still tended to mean late nights and study hours sacrificed to the news room. Nell had brought a pile of photos for the new issue up to her dorm to sort through, hoping to multitask them with her homework, but after not having much luck she had decided to return them to the newsroom before getting distracted and losing them among the piles and piles of notes on her desk. She was surprised when entering the room that she wasn't the only one working late on the paper, smiling cheerfully. "Hi Syd." She said happily, crossing to the table and setting the pile of photos down, glancing at Syd's parchment curiously. "What are you working on?"

Sydney glances up when someone else joined her, relieved that it was only Nell. There weren't a lot of other students in the club Sydney considered worth her attention, especially now that Sydney was one of the oldest club members, but she generally had decent faith in their editor so far. "Agony Aunt submissions," She said flatly, motioning to the various slips of paper she'd been sifting through. "It seems like everyone and their owl at this school is having some sort of stupid boy problems. I wish everyone would stop putting so much stock in dating for two seconds so I'd get to stop reading about it," She said in a huff, even more glad Nell was here when she realized she had free rein to complain now. "Like, who cares if some idiot does't want to be seen with you, don't date them. There, easy," She said, picking up one of the submissions and making an agitated noise in the back of her throat. "What a waste of time. I'm so over romance," She added, smack the paper with the back of her hand before setting it back on the table with a huff. She hadn't realized responding to the submissions had been getting on her nerves so badly, but it was hard not to feel disillusioned with thoughts of love right now.

Nell slid into a seat next to Syd, peering down at the slips of paper curiously as she listened to the Slytherin complain. She burst into giggles as Syd's rant went on and on, wondering in the back of her mind when the last time she had laughed like this had been. She had been healing this year, but it had been hard, and it felt good to hear someone else gripe about love. "Oh, even so, it's not all bad." Nell smiled, giving a small shrug. "I mean, you know my love life hasn't been great lately, but there are some benefits..." Nell had been trying to broaden her horizons recently, see what Hogwarts had to offer. She had regretted the plan somewhat after a recent make out session with Clifton Ward, quietly feeling sorry for Lily for having dated him for so long, but even so... she was finding as time passed that it was fun to just... flirt and kiss, without getting bogged down in all the relationship stuff. It felt right, in a way nothing really had since Selene.

Sydney gave Nell an unimpressed look when she insisted romance wasn't all that bad. She generally didn't listen to school gossip about who was dating whom, but it had been hard to miss Nell's change in demeanor for most of the year, and how it happened to co-inside with her break up. "What benefits," She scoffed. "If anything, I would think you'd be the one to agree there are none. Everyone's just wasting their time running after some girl or boy who doesn't give a crap about them," She said, crossing her arms in a huff. "I haven't even managed to get any good poetry out of it either." Sydney had at least hoped Samantha's betrayal would had lead to pages and pages of heartbroken or vindictive writing, but any time she tried to focus on the bitter feelings so she could write it out, she just got upset again and had to go do something else.

Nell giggled softly at Syd's comment about poetry, shaking her head. "I mean, that's all true, but I've been trying to be more casual about it lately." She shrugged, leaning one elbow on the table and her chin on her hand as she looked at Syd. "You know, no attachments, just keeping it casual. All of the fun, none of the heartbreak. It's a more fun way to be." Nell smiled, giving Syd a conspiratorial wink. "Though between us, steer clear of Clifton Ward. It was like kissing a slug with a beard, so gross." She pulled a face.

Sydney muttered something about fun under her breath as Nell explained what she'd meant. She'd yet to find anything fun about all the tangled up feelings she'd been having. But Nell seemed pretty convinced about it, and she had been in a notably better mood lately, so maybe there was something to that. Sydney knew she had an issue with taking things a bit too seriously, so perhaps following Nell's ideology would help her forget about Samantha and her stupid boyfriend already. "Maybe you're onto something-" She said, though she had to stop and scrunch her face up at the mention of Clifton Ward. "Eurgh, I'd rather drink bubotuber pus," She said flatly, giving Nell a dubious look now that she had to reassess their editor's taste. "So you've just been going around kissing people? And that helped you get over your breakup?"

Nell giggled softly at Syd's reaction to her comment about Clifton, giving the younger writer a small shrug. "Hey, I was curious. He is cute. Definitely not worth it though." She pulled a face, then laughed and nodded at Syd's question. "I'm trying to look at it like... an opportunity. I got all bound up in the idea that there's... this one person for me, but it's not that simple. Like, I wouldn't only get mashed potato at dinner when there's a bunch of other stuff on the table. Gotta try the salad, gotta try the chicken, see what I like best, you know? Plus, kissing's fun. Doesn't have to be a big deal."

Sydney clicked her tongue in distaste as Nell insisted that Clifton Ward was cute. There was no accounting for taste, but at least Nell did actually seem like she was having fun with it all. She didn't seem to be harbouring nearly as much bitter regret as Sydney felt right now. No ridiculous pining after girls who would drop you for the first boy who bought her flowers. "Mashed potato seems like a better word for Clifton.." She commented mildly, surprised her mood had improved somewhat talking to Nell. "I've.. Not ever kissed anyone before, so I wouldn't know. Too busy giving other people advice about idiot boys I guess," Sydney admitted, surprised with her own candidness. But if it wasn't such a big deal like Nell said, maybe she should change that. Maybe it would help her get over her stupid infatuation too.

Nell felt mean giggling at Syd's comment about Clifton, but she couldn't deny the Slytherin was right. "Okay, that's true." She agreed, giggling softly. "Not great." She was surprised when Syd actually opened up, talking about her own experience, though she wasn't entirely surprised that Syd hadn't kissed anyone before, considering how closed off the Slytherin could be. "Aww, that's fair. Kissing is fun, though!" She said with a smile, continuing almost before she really thought about what she was saying. "I could show you, if you like." Nell offered, leaning on the desk. She didn't especially want to complicate the situation in the Monthly by hooking up with her colleagues, but a kiss was just a kiss, and of all people, Nell trusted Syd wouldn't create any drama in the aftermath.

Sydney's mouth twisted in a wry grin when Nell agreed with her, glad she at least had enough taste for that, even if she'd momentarily lapsed enough to actually kiss a guy like Clifton Ward. She simply shrugged when Nell insisted how great kissing was, trying to swallow down the bitter taste in her mouth at the thought of how great kissing someone like Samantha probably was. At Nell's suggestion though, she dragged her eyes up from the letters spread across the desk, wary for a moment that Nell was being facetious. But then again, Nell had spent the whole conversation talking about enjoying the freedom of kissing anyone, and Sydney supposed that technically did include her. And if she was kissing Nell, she probably wouldn't be wasting all her time thinking about kissing.. Anyone else. "...Okay," Sydney said, drumming her fingers on the desktop before turning to face Nell more. "So what just like. I kiss you?" It was stupid, but as simple as Nell had made it all sound, Sydney suddenly felt unsure about just diving in. She was so used to books and poems about longing and fated encounters, which felt rather over the top compared to the reality in front of her right now.

Nell hadn't totally expected Sydney to say yes, and it was a pleasant surprise when she did. "Cool!" Nell said cheerfully, leaning a little closer. She smiled, nodding slightly at Syd's question. "Sure." She said more softly, giving a reassuring smile. Nervous was the last expression she expected from Sydney after working with the Slytherin for so many years, but she was fairly sure that was what she was seeing now. "Here." Nell said gently, reaching up to cup Syd's cheek with one hand, and ever so lightly pressing her lips to the other girl's, giving Syd the chance to take control, set the pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back