Basking in my Nothingness

Trinity Cornwell

OOC First Name
Lin
Wand
Rowan Wand 15" Essence of Fang of Basilisk
The sun beat down on the children's playground sweltering and scalding the seats of the swings, making it impossible to use the slide or the metal climbing frames. Trinity smiled at how empty it was as she twirled herself about on the toddlers roundabout, she loved the dizzy sensation it afforded as she tumbled backwards from it and stumbling about giggled aloud. Holding her hands out right to steady herself she watched the world go by in lopsided hazy rotations until eventually it righted itself again.

She didn't mind the heat so much but could understand why parents didn't want their children out playing in it. Walking directly infront of the slide she walked backwards a few paces before crouching down and taking a run towards it, building momentum until at last she was racing up the dry hot metal slide. Wanting to grapple for the frame as she neared the top she knew her hands would touch pure heat if she did so, instead Trinity attempted the last few inches on sheer will alone. Just making it. Standing at the top she looked out across the field where the playground had been built. It was a nice area all muggle of course but she didn't mind at all. Both her parents may have been magical but her grandparents weren't and it was with her fathers family that she now lived.

Someday she knew her parents would return from 'fighting the good fight' as they called it but for now, she felt decidedly parent-less. She remained standing for another few minutes before looking straight down the barrel of the slide and with a loud playful shout she ran headlong down it.

It was yet another hot, sunny day in New Zealand. Another hot, sunny day Tony was slowly becoming used to, but was still annoyed about. Since staying with his auntie Joanne, Tony's skin had browned off ever so slightly; but had never burnt as he was always covered in sun lotion as much as possible. Having had a cold shower half an hour before, to combat the heat, Tony decided it was time to write his mother a letter.

After squirting on another bottle of lotion, Tony picked up a pen and a piece of paper; as it was easier to use than parchment; and decided to head towards one of the near-by parks. Glancing at the clock, and feeling a slight twitch within his stomach, Tony thought it best to take some sandwiches; and plenty of water; along with him. Auntie Joanne was at a clients house, informing them of the best patterned curtains to buy with the wallpaper they had decided to use; Tony had tagged along once and found it a bit of a bore, so lunch was not available as planned.

Packing enough food to feed himself for two weeks, Tony doubled checked the blanket; pen; and paper where there; gave a weary look towards the sun; and set off, wearing his jeans; a loose fitted shirt; and plenty of sun lotion.

As he walked towards the park, Tony wondered what he would tell his mother. It had been two weeks since he last saw her. "I hope she's okay." he thought, now wondering why neither of them had bothered to even phone the other. The sun was shining into his eyes now. It was awkward for Tony to wear sun-glasses, since that meant removing his normal ones and not being able to see very well. Tony let out a grumble.

Reaching the park a short while later, Tony could see that it was empty. "Good." he thought aloud. "A little peace and quiet.". Setting his over-full bag to the ground, Tony proceeded to remove the blanket; which he now noticed had a rabbit situated it the bottom right corner. "Cute." he grinned. Taking out the pen; paper; and a bottle of water, Tony closed the bag, in hope that the contents would remain un-spoiled. Settling down on the still cool blanket, he began to think.

At least that was the plan; until someone let out a playful shout.

The exhilaration from near free falling down the slide was intoxicating. She got to the end and leapt off but continued to run once she hit the ground from sheer speed and adrenaline. When she did eventually stop she threw her hands into the air and whooped loudly once more.
"Whoooah! yeah!" she shouted playfully turning around ready to give the slide another good run through when from her peripheral vision a movement caught her eye. Turning to see a boy sitting on a blanket about to write something. Her certainly hadn't been there when she had arrived, she would have noticed him surely. Not sure what she should do, she gave a feeble wave of her hand and decided once more up the slide wouldn't be that bad, even if the boy did watch.

Turning her attention once more to the slide, Trinity crouched down and geared herself up for the run and jump onto the slide before pelting up the length of it again. This time around she did it in far less time, reaching the top as if the hounds of hell had been at her feet. Once at the top she turned to survey everything once more and let her gaze drop down to the boy with glasses seating on what appeared from this height to be a baby blanket. She couldn't be sure though and certainly wasn't going to make a big deal about it, she also spotted he had water though and after now being out in the hot sun for well over two hours she felt parched.

This time deciding to surf her way down the slide, Trinity did the only board move she knew yelling out "Kowabunga" as she skidded to a stop half way down the slide. It was way too dry to slide down properly now, so to save herself from tripping she leapt off coming down a little too heavy on her right ankle.
"Blast it" she swore loudly turning in the direction of the boy and hopping over to him. Plastering on her brightest smile as she got nearer she knew she must appear like some complete loon but as always that didn't bother her either.
"Hi, don't suppose you'd mind sharing some water would you?" her accent was fairly generic, she had been born and raised for a while in the West of Ireland, a place called Galway but soon after her sixth birthday had moved to Australia and now only a month ago had moved here to New Zealand. Brightstone was alright but it wasn't great either.

Maybe the heat was playing tricks on his mind. The park had, after-all, appeared to be empty when he arrived. Looking up, Tony's eyes scanned the area, and eventually settled upon a young girl; about ten or eleven years old; who had ran down a slide. Now at the bottom of it, she threw her hands into the air and shouted once more.

"Someone's having fun." Tony smiled to himself, as the girl turned towards him. She appeared to give a little wave, before turning back to face the slide. Tony watched her run up, and make it to the top in one go. After a few moments, the girl let out a yell; which Tony knew to be a popular phrase used by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; as she once again descended the slide. Only making it halfway down this time, the girl abandoned her attempt, and jumped off; landing, to what Tony could see, slightly to one side. As he continued to watch, now slightly interested in this girl, she began to make her way over to where he was sat; still trying to think of what he could write in his letter.

With apparent confidence, and a bright smile, this fun young girl proceeded to ask Tony for some water. Knowing he had plenty of supplies in his bag, he smiled at her and offered the bottle he had removed, but not opened, moments earlier.

Trinity beamed from ear to ear as he handed her the bottle. Opening it slowly she looked at him as if studying him before her gaze dropped to the blanket and recognized it to be a babies blanket. She kept the cap in her hand as she took a good slug from the bottle, gasping afterwards. Well and truly sated for now, she recapped the bottle and handed it back to the boy again.
"I don't have cooties, I'll wipe the top if you want me too" she told him in a very matter of fact voice. The boy seemed unearthly quiet but this didn't really bother her, she often preferred her own company to that of children her own age. They were so often immature in their rush to behave as if they were older. Trinity planned on being a kid for as long as she possibly could and never saw the attraction for being straight laced and proper about the ordinary mundane things in life.

"What's with the blanket then? I think I grew out of mine when I was two" she wasn't being rude just curious, insanely so.

Back home, Tony had enjoyed his own company. He never had to listen to people complain; or shout; or tell him what to do. He never had to worry about trusting people when he was alone. The last time he had trusted someone, gotten close, started to care, he had had to leave. This was something which caused pain more than not knowing his farther.

Amy had been through the same things he had. Maybe even worse. She never knew her farther, and her mother didn't want to care for her. Their loneliness seemed to pull them together, where they never had to worry, or feel pain; even if it was for a short time. During a picnic with his mother, Tony had found his soon to be best friend. It was a warm day that had held a cool breeze. The sort of weather Tony was used too, and loved. Laura had decided it would be a good idea to walk to the public gardens to feed the ducks; sun-bathe; and stuff their faces with sandwiches and crisps. Tony had happily agreed.

After a fun lunch, and whilst his mother bathed under the warm sun, Tony set off for a walk through the gardens, which contained pathways; benches; water-fountains; duck ponds; and boating lakes with a handful of laughing families and young children running around having fun, but never straying too far from their parents. At eight years of age, Tony had already matured long ago, and was allowed to wander wherever he liked. His mother new she could always find him.

As he reached a small pond set away from the bustling areas, Tony noticed a young girl who appeared to be crying. He had initially thought she was lost, and headed over to find out; never realising he would one day make her cry too.

Tony's eyes never faltered from the new girl in front of him; even as she took, what seemed to be, a well needed drink. As she held out the bottle, offering it back to him, both of her comments made him grin. Tony waved his hand slightly. "It's okay, you look like you could use it anyway." he said to her, since it was a very hot day.

Focusing on her question about the blanket, Tony didn't really have a response. He had no idea who it belonged too. "It's actually quite soft and comfortable." he told the girl. Not really caring how he sounded. Would this girl simply turn out the same as everyone else. Would she be someone Tony would soon ignore, and then forget about. Or could he eventually open up to her.

His thoughts danced back to Amy now. This new girl had a lot of work to do.

Lately Trinity had met her fair share of 'crackwarts' children who would be attending Hogwarts in the Spring time and who talked incessantly about it. What house they 'knew' they would belong to as their parents did, what subjects they would be great at and on and on they would dribble until Trinity thought her head would spin. She didn't like that she had to attend the magic school, at this point in her young life no matter how intuitive she was, no matter what slight happenstance occurred because of some silly inherent ability she had been genetically gifted with Trinity saw it all as a curse. Magic is what kept her from her parents or rather kept them from her.

Everyday she missed them and every owl they sent simply meant another day without them. It was lucky they sent on the occasional photograph or she would simply have forgotten what they looked like all together. So, when her letter for Hogwarts arrived she was not pleased at all and every time she met a silly child who talked of nothing else Trinity had to suppress an urge to thump them over the head. Magic was dangerous and stupid in her view and nothing and no-one could make her change her mind.

As she smiled now at the boy infront of her she wondered briefly if he would ask whether or not she was attending the infamous school but she fervently hoped he was a muggle and knew nothing of the parallel universe that was the bane of her life. Not sure if the boy was attempting to be nice or offering up a well concealed insult, she merely nodded her head and thanked him for the bottle of water. Reopening it and drinking more but with a decidedly less intensive air now, knowing that the entire bottle were her own.

It was not in Trinity's nature to wait for life to give her what she wanted, the only thing in life that was of any true importance to her were the two that were never with her and no amount of wishing her life away was bringing them back anytime soon. Without waiting then to be offered she sat herself down on the blanket near the boy and touched it gingerly, a smile spread itself across her freckled features.

"Wow, you weren't kidding. Soft and comfy, good idea. Aren't you afraid incase some bigger boys would see it and thump you up good and proper" she had seen bullies in this playground many times and had so far had only managed to get into two scrapes with them, the first time coming out of it with a bruised cheek and the second with a delightful victorious smile as the two boys couldn't figure out why a small girl had gotten the better of them and why they were now upside down over the toddler roundabout. She knew whatever magic was within her had done this and though she had momentarily enjoyed herself, it was short lived and anger had later ripped through her that she had resorted to having magic use her.

As the sun continued to inject its rays into him, Tony began to tap the pen on the paper he was still yet to write words upon. Not one for keeping a diary of sorts, written words weren't something that came easy to him. The few times Tony had put words onto paper involved a card, in to which he seemed to just draw random images. An act which was always received well by the recipient. This letter called for more than a simple image, however.

The main question running through Tony's mind was whether or not he would see his mother before he left for Hogwarts. A place that would be full of people thinking they where better than everyone else; worthless people; un-trustworthy people. Tony's plan for this 'school' was to learn what he could about his abilities, and then really have some fun. Many nights have passed where Tony would lay awake wishing he could have his own wand to use. His own tool to control situations. A devise to test the worthiness of others. An object to assist him with exploring people. An item to show those people he didn't care about how much he really didn't care.

After zoning out for a brief moment, Tony's thoughts where somewhat interrupted by a voice.

Flicking his eyes to the side, the girl whom had been stood momentarily before, was now situated upon the blanket next to him. Tony could see a smile on her face. This action was stupid on her part. She was now in the category of arrogance. Knowing he would never start his letter if an argument ensued, Tony proceeded to ignore this oh-so-similar girl, and began to scrawl onto the piece of paper. She would leave in under seven minuets.
I hate writing. Not really sure what to put. I guess I miss you. It's been too hot here since I arrived. I hate it. The heat, I hate the heat.

Auntie Joanne has been working a lot this week, so we haven't really been anywhere. I just wander around on my own. Haven't met anyone worthy of talking about. I'm just sat on my own in a park trying to write this stupid letter.

Why do I even have to go to Hogwarts. Can't you teach me what I need to learn. That's how it's always been. Even Grandma could teach me something.
Thirsty, Tony opened the bag he had with him; removed a second bottle of water; opened it; took a drink; and let out a low sigh.

She waited to see if the boy would speak but he ignored her and continued to do so as he began to write what appeared to be a letter. Perhaps the boy had thought her rude for sitting down without waiting to be asked, she could not help now glancing over towards the paper he wrote on and felt decidedly insulted.

"You're not alone, I am here with you" Trinity figured the boy to be a liar if he could not tell whoever he was writing to a simple truth as that, she didn't like liars. Her parents she catagorized as liars, they had done nothing but lie to her since as far back as she could remember and then she saw the one word she hated more than her parents absence from her life, Hogwarts.

"Damn magic school!" she swore vehemently glaring at him, "Not another crackwarts brat are you?"
At this point Trinity would have been quite happy to toss the rest of her water over him, she was disgusted that she had even taken water from him now. Her small pixie like face was nearly pinched up in anger but yet she remained steadfast, refusing to budge from the bably blanket. If he was going to ignore her again he'd most definitely get an ear full now.

The brief moment of silence was short lived, as the girl next to him spoke. It seemed she had been reading his letter as he wrote it. Arrogant and rude. This girl only pretended to be cheery and happy. The front was all lies. Lies could lead to un-desirable things at the wrong time. The words the girl had spoken echoed through Tony's mind. "You're not alone, I am here with you.". If only she knew the truth. Tony was always alone.

The echoes turned into ringing sounds now. Something had stirred the girl. Not sure what Crackwarts was, Tony ignored the word. Brat, however, made him grin. This girl was too easy.

Knowing, half-expectedly, that his letter writing was never going to happen now, Tony sat up fully and looked at the girl; who now appeared to be slightly angry. Whilst growing up, Tony had met his fare share of kids with anger issues. Most of them shouted at everyone, or complained about everything; and the rest became bullies. The former where easy to rid his presence of. Tony could quite simply ignore them, to a point where the person would simply storm off; angrier than they already where. The majority of these mini-games where boring, but a few people stuck around longer. Maybe the girl on the blanket was one of the second group. She had already shown she couldn't be trusted. Tony had no reason to acknowledge her. No reason to let her in.

Since she had mentioned magic school, Tony now knew this girl was a witch. This information changed the situation slightly. A person with magical abilities who also had anger issues, or thought themselves better, where a bigger problem. How could Tony be acquainted with this girl if she acted this way. How would knowing her affect his future. Could she be trusted enough to help him. Tony decided, at this time, the answer was no.

Feeling this girl would be more likely to argue regardless, instead of simply shouting and acting flustered; and given she was the first young witch he had met, Tony decided to respond to her. His response didn't have to answer her question though. "Do you often appear this rude?".

It wasn't normal at all for Trinity to display anger so abruptly, even if she was a red head. She had always been more passive even in her toddler years, no temper tantrums or anything. It was only it would seem anything to do with the infernal magic school that could set her off. Finally he spoke and her eyes widened in alarm. He thought she was being rude? When did that happen? She mulled over in her head her behaviour of the past few moments and cringed. The rate she was going she would never make friends and if she alienated everyone who was about to attend Hogwarts, she certainly would find it a lonely miserable seven years. A flash of fear crept into her eyes but vanished just as quickly, she was only eleven of course she hated being alone. She was definitely the product of her parents neglect.

"I'm not usually rude at all" she told him looking away across the playground, there was nothing about the boy himself that would have merited or warranted such behaviour normally but today had been an exceptional day of circumstances. Her parents had sent an owl bright and early this morning letting her know that though they had promised to return and take her to Obsidian and Brightstone to help get her things organized for school, work matters had prevented them from returning. A pouch with enough galleons to buy a small island had been attached to the owl with strict instructions to buy what she needed and then some. Trinity hadn't even bothered reading anymore but had given the letter and pouch to her grandparents and left the house. They at least would understand how much todays shopping trip would have meant to her. She could careless about buying her school uniform or wand, it would simply have been contact with her parents. A number entered her head and without comprehending that she did so, she repeated it out loud.
"One year, five months and twenty two days".

A small sigh escaped her as she cast her gaze overhead, the sun was making mincemeat of her but she didn't care much. If she burnt her grandparents would put the potion her parents had left for just that purpose and she would be healed in minutes.
"I guess I just wanted you to actually speak to me, being rude wasn't exactly the best way of going about that. Sorry" she dared to look at him once more before taking a deep breath and holding out her hand to him.

It was extremely rare that she was willing to let people in, to offer any hand of friendship. She was just so used to people letting her down and yet part of her wanted to believe that this boy could be different.
"I'm Trinity Cornwell, can we start fresh?"

As Tony's eyes continued to focus on the young girl, she looked to be slightly taken a-back by his previous question. A few milli-seconds past before she gave an answer. "Not usually rude." Tony thought. The word 'usually' standing out. This left her behaviour open to some level of rudeness, even if this was the first instance. Back at home, people who showed little in the way of respect where always forgotten about. They meant nothing. If they couldn't show respect, they couldn't be trusted.

Home. Tony really wanted to finish his letter. There would be a few short months before he had to head to Hogwarts, and he wanted his mother to be with him as he purchased his wand. A wand that couldn't be bought soon enough. A wand he could use against every single one of these un-worthy people. Thoughts moved on to other family members. Would he see any of them before he went to what seemed to be a boarding school, full of un-trustworthy; annoying; rude; impolite; arrogant; and generally a waste of a good thought people. "The less interaction the better." Tony thought to himself. "No-one will hurt me, or leave me, if I remain alone.".

His thoughts where interrupted. The girl had spoken. She was still sat there. On his blanket. Numbers had escaped her lips. Was she counting towards something, or away from something. This made her appeal slightly interesting again. She had thoughts of her own. Maybe they where both similar. The girl sighed slightly, and gazed towards the sky. The sun remained, seemingly hotter than it was previously. An apology now. It wasn't a typical apology. It seemed more distant. As if there was a true reason behind her earlier rudeness.

The girls hand was extended towards him at this point. She had introduced herself. "Can we start fresh?". These words played on Tony's mind. Many situations couldn't simply start over. Life would be too easy. Life, Tony knew; and hated, was never easy. He had to admire this girl, whom he now understood to be Trinity. She stuck around. Everyone else had either left by this time, or continued to pointlessly shout. His game was over. He had lost. Trinity was worthy of his attention.

"Indeed, we may start over.". Tony hoped he could trust this girl. If she hurt him now, he would never forgive her. "Would you care to yell from the slide again?". Tony grinned broadly.

Not one to pry into peoples business unless he was required too, Tony decided to forget about the numbers Trinity had spoken. If she was ready, he wouldn't need to ask. Meeting her hand with his own, Tony introduced himself. This was a fairly new task, since hardly anyone was worthy of a hand-shake. "Tony Alraur." he said. "It's been somewhat .. interesting.".

Trinity waited almost with the air of someone who was used to being pushed aside, ignored and left to her own devices. A lump was forming in her throat, she had been here in New Zealand nearly a year now and this was the first time that she had attempted to make a friend, to reach out to someone else. Usually she would have waited a lot longer but not knowing why she had a feeling about this boy, she only knew that she did. Trust was a huge issue for her, she didn't do it willingly and blindly doing it now to a complete stranger told her she had either learnt no lessons from her previous experiences or simply wanted to badly trust anyone other than her grandparents.

It seemed an eternity before he uttered the words that they could start over and the ones that followed made her smile widely at him. She thanked her instincts and her thirst for making her go over to him in the first place. She shook his hand and slowly releasing it she stood up.
"It's only going to get better Tony" she grinned like the Chesire cat, "Come on Batman, to the slide it is".

Standing to the side so he would come with her, Trinity wondered what else this day had in store for her. Would he be a fairweather friend or would he turn out to be one of those who she deemed a bestfriend and would be pulled from like all the others. The thought made her heart deflate a little.

As Trinity grinned back at him, Tony listened to her words. Puzzled by her statement, Tony repeated the words in his mind. "It's only going to get better.". "It's only going to get better.". "What was going to get better.". Tony thought, briefly, about everything that had happened to him. No farther. No friends. No enemies. No emotion. He had the love of his family. Of Amy. Tony shook the thoughts away. He could feel the hatred; the loneliness; the pain start to surface.

The girl was standing now. She wanted to head over to the slide again. Tony looked up at her. Could this girl be called a friend. He would, at least for now, hold back from any form of friendship. It was too soon. He could still be hurt. She was now an acquaintance. Someone he would know during his time at Hogwarts. Someone, he smiled, who might help him to understand his abilities. To help him use them.

Picking up the pen and paper, Tony sighed at his barely started letter, and placed the items back into his aunties bag. He could always try again later. "To the slide it is.", Tony acknowledged with a smile. He thought it best to take the bag over with him, as they may require additional water; since the sun continued to dry the air; which held an almost un-bearable heat. Standing up, and scooping up the baby blanket, Tony began to head in the direction of the slide; and a little bit of fun.

Since arriving in New Zealand, Tony had interacted with one or two people; but non of them gave him reason to stick around. Non of them gave him reason to trust; or to care; or to protect. Trinity was the first in quite some time. There was something different about her. She was similar to Amy.

Trinity felt the shift in the boy almost as she felt the changes in the weather. She hated the instinctive way she could tell things and knew it was all part of her magical heritage but when it came to knowing things like 'how this boy would or could become an integral part of her life' Trinity was glad for the knowing. She smiled at him as he stood up and took his baby blanket with him.

"We won't be needing that but to keep it save maybe we should fold it and store it in your bag again" somehow she thought the blanket meant something to him and now she felt bad that she may have offended him earlier when she had talked about it.

With a hop, skip and a jump Trinity was clambering back up the slide the wrong way of course. The heat had made it almost unbearable to the touch but she tolerated it, as the journey to the top perch wasn't a long one. Philosophically she knew she had greater journeys to go through and these slight ones were little tests she gave herself, pushed herself to take to ready herself for the real life experiences. She looked down from the top perch on the slide and beckoned to him to join her at the top. The view wasn't completely impressive, from one side the massive high rise buildings of the muggle world could be seen, smoke rising from factories and the roar and smog of commuters but another side was mere country side.

Fields of greenery with large trees that she knew would someday be cut down in the name of progress. For all the magic in the world, she never did understand how so much evil and wrong continued.

"Come on Tony the bat mobile awaits" she giggled looking back to him once more.

As he set off, Trinities words rung through his ears once more. "You certainly have something for this blooming blanket." Tony thought to himself. It may not be wise to jeopardise a friendship now. Opening the bag once again, Tony proceeded to stuff the blanket inside, as far as he could. "Happy?!" he half asked, half growled; just as Trinity playfully clambered up the slide again.

As she reached the top, Trinity beckoned for Tony to join her. "Why not?." he thought; and proceeded to run up the slide with relative ease. During his time spent exploring, Tony had had many scrapes; bumps; and bruises, and always went back for more. After all, a moments pain was nothing compared to the feeling of freedom. The freedom he felt whilst stood a-top hill-sides pushed him to explore further; dared him to reach for the skies. If only he was able to balance, then he could stay upon a broom and truly seek adventure. To reach a mountain top; standing above the clouds. The young boy felt this challenge would clear his mind of pain and hatred. Carry all of his troubles away on a light breeze. Reaching the top of the slide, Tony let out a faint sigh.

He couldn't help but wonder how long this moment would last.

Looking out across the playground, the view was much different to that of home. This place was shadowed by tall buildings and factories; which poured smoke into the air. Air which smelt, and tasted, different too. Home was a much more peaceful place. With vast coloured fields; large green gardens; clear blue lakes; enormous trees; lavish hills; singing birds; and many other animals, which would roam around mindlessly.

Turning his attention back to Trinity, Tony decided, hot or not, he was going down the slide in the way it was intended to be used. Was this girl brave enough to follow. "See you at the bottom.", Tony gleamed; as he took a-hold of the scorching bars; swung himself forward; and slid down, letting out a yell; one half echoing pain from the metal bars, and the other half out of joy. Tony was having fun. This time though, he wasn't alone.

Trinity turned to watch him stuff the blanket into the bag and a confused look spread across her young features. The blanket must not mean anything at all to him if he could treat it so shabbily. As it was none of her business one way or the other, she ignored his 'happy?' question which she felt hadn't really been meant as a question in the first place.

It seemed an age before he joined her at the top and once there he proceeded to make a downward attempt on the slide. She grimaced, closing her eyes tightly and half opening one as he let out a yell. A bubble of laughter escaped her, he was as nuts as she was. This was refreshing, there had been so many children she had met with recently who barely stopped to smell the roses, or climb a tree or get up to any childish things. It would seem the reality of magic had taken all their imagination and fun out of them.

Looking down the slide Trinity took a deep breath before heading down the 'normal route' as he had done. Her palms became red from the heat and she seemed to stick half way down the slide again as well but none of this stopped the laughter or the yelling cheerfully on her descent. She stood up and leapt over the frame looking back at Tony.
"Monkey bars?" she didn't wait for him to agree with her, she simply walked over to them and began climbing. Once she thought she was a decent enough height she rest herself across a bar and swung herself down so that she was holding on by her knees and looking at the world upside down.

"So Tony... you come here often?" she laughed as the blood flowed to her head, she had heard that line used often in the soppy romance movies her grandmother watched and though she had always thought it the cheesiest line in the world, couldn't help but say it now.

Reaching the bottom of the slide, Tony turned to witness Trinity laughing. People didn't laugh if there wasn't an air of trust. Tony began to relax now. This girl was someone he would like to know. His thought was interrupted as he heard a yell. He smiled as Trinity made her way to the bottom, stopping slightly at the middle; before jumping over the side again. Before Tony could say anything about her requiring practice, Trinity headed towards the monkey bars.

As she hung up-side down, Tony let out a small gulp. He knew if he tried to follow her lead, and hang by his knees, he would likely end up in a heap at the bottom. His dexterity was never that good, which meant he either fell over a lot; or dropped everything. Climbing wasn't an issue however, so he skipped over; and proceeded to make his way up the frame.

Once at the top, Tony had another look across the playground. It was still empty, bar the two young magical beings; whom could, it seemed, have fun regardless. Trinity's words fluttered across Tony's ears, as did her laughter. This was laughter he hadn't heard in some time. Laughter, which told you the owner had nothing else on their mind. Laughter, which could make you want to break down and pour your soul out to them. For now, though, secrets would have to remain buried.

"I haven't been here before, no." Tony answered the girl. "Am I right to guess you have?", he asked her.

Trinity smiled as Tony came over and climbed the frame as well. He didn't hang himself upside down or anything but that didn't matter to her. She was glad of the company and found that she was glad of his company. True they had said very little to one another but Trinity knew that words were fairly over-rated at the best of times. The blood continued to flow to her head and she could no more suppress her childish laughter than she could stop time. After a few moments Tony answered her question and passed her one of his own. She nodded her head with a smile in his direction before swinging upwards and holding on with her hands.

Trinity shimmied her body so she was now sitting on the bar and looking up over the upper railing her head resting on her arms.
"I come here about twice a day when I don't have school, usually in the morning when it's not so hot and later in the evening when it's a bit cooler" now that she thought about it, she wondered what had brought her out into the heat today of all days and here of all places. Perhaps fate had a hand in it, which would indicate that magic had a small part to play too. This didn't cheer her up any but the fact that Tony and herself may have been destined to be friends did.
"So... Crackwarts...Hogwarts. You looking forward to it Tony?"

As Trinity nodded in response to his question, she swung herself up-wards; took a-hold of the bars of the frame; and proceeded to rest her head up-on her arms. She didn't appear to be clumsy like Tony was. He never could understand why he was clumsy; what with his ability to climb, and a passion for exploring. He would often shrug it off. If he fell, he fell. Today, however, he wasn't about to make himself look too much of a fool. After listening to Trinity's words, Tony began to wonder why she visited the park so frequently. Was there something at home causing her to want to leave everyday. Or was she just out having fun. Tony decided to settle on the latter. After-all, that was the reason he wanted to use for him being out-side all to frequently. As Trinity mentioned the heat, Tony could do nothing but scowl. "It could at least rain for once." he screamed to himself. Hoping, deep down, the magic that was held inside him would cause a permanent shift in the weather.

Trinity's latest question was one that could be answered in seconds, with a few words; or in hours, with an in-depth conversation. Was he looking forward to Hogwarts. The shortest, and most simple answer was no. Tony had been home-schooled by various members of his family, instead of going to a public school after his fourth birthday. There was never any point. On his fourth birthday, Tony had been informed of his heritage; his ancestry; and his magical ability. He knew from that moment where he was going, and why he was going there. Whilst Laura spent time in two jobs, her sisters often took care of Tony; so the home-schooling wasn't much of a change. It was, however, more magically inclined. Whilst other children his age where learning about how flowers grew, Tony was watching flowers become something different; as they where transformed into spectacular ornaments; chairs; or even a snake, which Tony instantly took a liking to. Laura, however, didn't; and she flicked her own wand as soon as she saw it after returning home from a busy day serving customers. Her brother, Amyntus, informed Tony that his sister was the reason he wasn't an Animagus; as his form would have been a snake. The comment brought about laughter within number seventeen, but it also brought about questions for Tony. That was the day he learned about Transfiguration.

A whole new world was opening to Tony each and every day. He couldn't get enough of it. He wanted to know more. For this reason, he was excited to head to Hogwarts. The words which escaped his lips wouldn't reflect his memory though. "No." he sighed. There would be too many people who could potentially hurt him in some way. Most of the people there wouldn't be trust-worthy. Some would think them-selves better than others. That was the reason he preferred to be home-schooled.

Tony realised, almost suddenly, that Hogwarts was one of the few places he could master his abilities. He looked at Trinity now. She was also going. He spoke again, softly. "Yes.". His eyes now meeting hers. He began to feel different. He had warmed towards her company. Her company however, much like the girl herself, was pretty strange. "Why do you call it Crackwarts?" Tony asked her, noting it was the second time she had mentioned the word.

Trinity thought about the question he posed to her, a frown creasing her perfect brow. If she continued to frown whenever she thought about her future school, she would be riddled with wrinkles or so her grandmother warned her. She turned and looked at the boy beside her and gave him a slight smile.

"Because it's full of crackpots, all nutcases who rely way too much on magic. Whose lives revolve around the stuff" the bitterness crept in to her voice though she hadn't meant it to and her eyes welled up slowly with tears though these too were unwanted. She had shed enough tears over her absentee parents, they no longer deserved them and yet, they still came unbidden. Trinity paused and looked stricken.
"I'm sorry Tony, I know you'll be going there as well. Please tell me you're not like the rest of them? Tell me you're not all caught up in the excitement and thrill of magic and magic school, like all the other kids I've been meeting around here".

She wanted nothing more than he tell her what she wanted to hear but she was no fool, there was always a spark that captivated the young. Was she the only one who couldn't careless about performing magic or wanting anything to do with it?

As the girl responded to his earlier question, Tony became slightly puzzled. He had never met anyone who relied so heavily on magic. Back at home, his mother would spend many hours working hard to create artistic piece to sell in her gallery; and would then come home only to cook dinner, and clean the house with Tony's help. Barely was there ever any magic used to achieve every day tasks as simple as those. Tony certainly wouldn't see his family as nut-cases.

Looking at Trinity, Tony saw what he thought to be tears well up in her eyes. She seemed worried. As if she had mentioned something which sparked a memory. Trinity spoke once more. She wanted answers. To say he was caught up in the thrill of magic would be a lie. He wanted to learn about his abilities, and master their power. This, and Transfiguration, where the only reasons he wanted to attend Hogwarts. Tony couldn't deny not wanting a wand of his own. He had been looking forward to purchasing one since his fourth birthday.

Tony knew, deep down, that he likely wouldn't enjoy his time at Hogwarts. There was no-where to go if someone hurt him. He wouldn't be able to walk away if someone annoyed him. He would be stuck there. Trapped inside the castle walls. Waiting. "Well. I'm certainly no crackpot." Tony smiled at Trinity. Something was troubling this girl. "I would happily stay at home with my family and continue to be home-schooled." Tony sighed. After-all, not many people could hurt him there.

"I don't have a tissue, but how would you feel about a sandwich?" Tony asked Trinity softly. Remembering there was enough for a week in the bag he had left over by the slide.

Trinity was upset at the fact that he thought she had meant him when terming all the others crackpots and blushed crimson as a result.
"Sorry Tony, didn't really mean you. I'm sure you're perfectly sane" she smiled at him with a twinkle in her eye,"Of course you playing here with me would indicate otherwise, but I won't tell if you don't".

She swung herself back over to the other side and began to climb down when he mentioned he had no tissues. Realising that her emotions were simply too easy to read, Trinity jumped the rest of the way down and using the sleeve of her top around her waist she wiped her eyes dry before looking up at him again. Her stomach was beginning to growl. Nodding her head Trinity waited for him to join her on the ground.

"Sandwich sounds great" she licked her lips and rubbed her stomach exaggeratedly to indicate just how great food would be.
"I would love to be home schooled myself, amazing how grown-ups get to take those types of decisions from us".

Being classed as sane by someone who appeared to be the complete opposite seemed to be ridiculous. Trinity had a reddish look to her cheeks now, and as she jumped down from the monkey bars, wiped the tears from her eyes. Tony thought for a moment. Had his comment about the tissue been too far. Maybe. But Trinity remained, and that's all he cared about.

Looking towards the ground, Tony couldn't help feeling his lack of dexterity would cause him to lose his balance and he would fall to the floor. Catching Trinity's eyes, he decided to jump from the frame; injury or not, he decided to show how insane spending time with Trinity had made him. Clambering onto the top of the frame, Tony let out a huge yell as he pushed off with his feet, and began to fall through the air. For a fraction of a second Tony felt relieved. Thoughts of climbing a mountain came flooding back to him. The ability to fly a broom. To soar through the air, raising higher and higher. Thud! Tony crashed into the ground.

As he sprawled across the floor, he suddenly remembered how he came to be there. Swearing loudly, Tony attempted to stand up; but realising his leg was hurting him painfully, rolled over onto his back and sat up. Clutching his right leg, Tony took a deep breath as he saw a fleshy, blood covered wound where his shin used to be. Tony cast his eyes towards Trinity. "I need the water and blanket." he told her, as the pain began pulsing through his leg. Each time he had fallen at home, his mother had simply washed and bandaged the wound; before kissing him on the cheek.

Trinity watched as the events unfolded as if in slow motion, she wished for the first time in her life ... ever.. that she knew magic so she could stop them. It was almost as if she knew what was going to happen seconds before it did but was so powerless to stop it. She couldn't even move to prevent Tony from falling but watched as he landed with a thud, she could have sworn she heard something break but wasn't sure. She heard him swear and could only smile at this, it meant he was fine. Ego bruised perhaps but otherwise fine. Trinity moved at first to be beside him as he rolled over and sat up, his shin looked ghastly. But being a tom-boy she had been victim and proud owner of many of these cuts and scrapes.

He told her he needed the water and blanket and she felt sorry for him that he would need the comfort of such a thing as his baby blanket but she went and got them any way. Placing them down beside him, she knelt down herself and pushed her hair behind her ears. Trinity had spent most of her childhood falling from trees and off of her bike and other things that had meant she ended up in the A&E of the local hospital, so by now she knew that something of this size needed a thorough cleaning and guessed that was what he needed the water for.

"I'll do it Tony" she told him, her once smiling face became altogether serious. Trinity instantly blamed herself for his fall, hurrying him along as she had. She opened the bottle and was about to pour it on the wound when she picked up the blanket instead.
"I hope you won't get mad when I do this" she told him as she poured the water on to it and dabbed carefully first around the wound and then on to it. Refreshing the water on the blanket now and then. It looked reasonably clean but it would still need some kind of tournequet. She took off her sweater from around her waist and looking at the ti-shirt she wore tore off a strip from the end of it, revealing her flat stomach. Trinity tied the strip just above where the wound was and made sure it was good and tight before tying the sweater back around her waist.

"I'll be right back" she ran to the rest of his stuff and gathered it up as quickly as she could and packed it all away in the bag before carrying it back over to him and slinging it over her shoulder she smiled down at him.
"Ok Tony, I know this is going to hurt but we need to get you up from there and moving. We need to get you home" she told him, there was so much concern in her voice that she simply wasn't used to hearing herself. She leaned down towards him and reached out an arm for him to take.
"I won't hurt you I promise".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back