Awaken the Wild

Liam Kale

OOC First Name
Maia
Wand
Holly/Ebony Wand 12 1/2 Essence of Griffin Feather
Liam Kale had known, his entire life, how his future would look. He would return to Scotland, and take over the estate. Macolm was older now, and couldn't work as he used to. The hands-on part of the job, fell to Liam. Much of the administrative side of things still lay under his father's jurisdiction. The Baron was enjoying his semi-retirement, spending much more of his time travelling. Liam's schooling being over, meant that he didn't have to worry so much about things at home. The eldest child of the Kale's hadn't exactly been enthusiastic about school. Magic, yes, but lessons, no. He'd managed to stay out of any serious trouble, but he'd also not seen any point in working hard when no matter how hard he worked, he would never have any say in his own future. He only hoped Cat was allowed to do as she wished. She was a dreamy girl; nearly a woman really, but she still acted like a child. She, too, did not suit schooling. She loved art, and her only academic interests were divination and arithmancy. She got away with it though, being Malcolm's favourite. As always, the father-son relationship was still strained to this day. So, as the two sat in silence going over the books for that month, Liam couldn't help wishing he were out in the stables. He'd built on last year, and Liam was holding out hopes of opening a riding school; they lived too cut-off a life in the castle, and he felt that it was a responsibility of theirs to provide employment and services to the local town of Dornoch. His father simply worried about muggles finding out about the Kale's true nature, and so he was reluctant.

The silence was broken by a ringing throughout the study. "Someone's on the land, boy." Liam knew the alarm bell well enough. In a moment, he was on his feet and pulling on his riding boots. An enchanted map on the wall told him exactly where the intruder was, though they would have no indication that they'd been found. "I'll be back Father." Apparition was disabled on the grounds, which seemed stupid in situations such as these, but that was the tradition, and his father never broke with tradition. Running through the entrance hall, Liam flung the great double doors of the ancient, stone castle open before him with his wand, so that he wouldn't have to break his stride. The intruder wasn't on the castle grounds, exactly, but they were in the surrounding hills. All of their estate was rigged with muggle-repelling enchantments, so this was either a magical intruder, or some of their spells had failed. He guessed the former, and ran in the direction the map had indicated, hoping they hadn't moved too far by the time he found them.

Nalani, the middle child of Keyne and Leilani, loved traveling, especially since her step-mother was mysteriously killed. She was also placed in Ilvermorny instead of Hogwarts New Zealand. She did get the chance to spend some time with her sisters, after her parents made contact again. But, because of how her former step-mother made her feel about her blood status, she rebelled, hardcore. Zayne just took it to heart. Nalani never earned anything honorable at all. Instead, there were several times the police took her home because she would keep trespassing. She just loved having fun, and bringing her step-mom at the time some stress. Boy, she loved it when she got red in the face, before the red was everywhere. Nalani was only eleven when it happened, and that was about the time that Zayne moved into their mother's home. Now, she had an array of younger siblings, since her parents started over, but that rebellious had already sunk into her mind, and she continued to find fun in dangerous situations. Her favorite thing to do was cliff diving, and doing rather unbelievable stunts on a broom. None of that was what brought her to Ireland. No, she wanted to experience the palette there, and to see the wonders. Buildings and all, it was attractive. Nalani was exploring.

Of course, Nalani Sage found herself on the grounds of someplace that was obviously spelled to keep muggles away. She ran through the grass, barefoot while packing her sneakers into her bag. Nalani continued to run through the grass, before pausing for a moment to catch her breath, and reach into her bag to get herself some water. She was out of breath. Nalani smiled and breathed the fresh air, before she stopped smiling suddenly and looked in the direction of where she was heading. Was she hearing someone run? She didn't bother having her wand out, but she probably should have. Nalani simply continued to walk toward the direction she was heading, hoping to find something interesting at least. She could see a figure heading her way. She could make things interesting, but considering that he or she was likely a wizard, she didn't want to have spells flung toward her. Instead, she waved her hand and shouted, "Hey!"

Liam loved to run, and it had been some time since he'd done so; he still played rugby, but his time out in nature was largely spent caring for the horses now. The feel of his feet pounding against the hilly landscape of the Scottish highlands was oddly pleasing to the young landowner, though the reason for the pounding was less pleasant. As he continued to sprint, he could see a figure in the distance, and a hand waving in the air. As he came closer, he could see that it was a woman. He slowed his pace to a jog until she was in front of him. A frown crossed his face. This, he hadn't expected. Some local wizard curious about the castle maybe, or perhaps a magical creature, but a beautiful young woman wasn't the norm for this kind of thing. "Hello M'am. I'm no' sure you're aware of exactly where you are?" The Scottish accent could be confusing, especially for non-Europeans, and he was almost sure he'd spotted an American accent, but he couldn't be sure. "Mah name's Liam Kale, this is my family's estate, we have... alarms to let us know when people stray onto the land, which is how I found you." He couldn't be entirely sure this woman wasn't a muggle, he'd have to be careful, though it would be unlikely for a muggle to be able to get this far onto the estate.

Looking down, he realised the woman was barefoot. "I'm sorry M'am, but why in Merlin's name are you barefoot? There are animals traps around this place, it's the Scottish highlands, not some cultured park, you could be hurt!" His tone wasn't angry, rather concerned, as such he barely noticed his lapse in naming Merlin. It was lucky he'd found her before she'd stepped in any traps. "Are you you alri'? You've not bin hurt have you?" He'd have to take her down to the castle, his mother would never forgive him otherwise. People who didn't know this landscape often underestimated it, he himself had a scar on his leg from getting it caught in a trap in his youth. His grandfather had gotten him out, but it had been too deep a gash for a mark not to be left. The scar was a reminder of the dangers of the wild, though he hadn't paid it much heed if he were honest.

Even though Nalani spent a few days in this country, it was still hard to understand the accent. It was one that she could definitely not mimic. She looked the boy up and down, dubbing him as a very handsome lad. Nalani was definitely not disappointed. When asked if she was aware of where she was, Nalani simply shook her head. She didn't know where she was, but that was the beauty of it. She loves the thrills and dangers that lurked within the unknown. It excited her. Nalani placed a hand on her chest and introduced herself, not hiding the American accent, "My name is Nalani Baros. What a cool estate you have! Does that mean that there is a huge house or mansion nearby?" Her excitement was clear within her hazel eyes. Now, she did wonder if the alarms were magical or not. She certainly did not hear anything, but that was not helpful. She continued to look at him, trying to determine if he was a wizard. If so, that would be excellent. If not, then she didn't know how to behave herself. After all, her step-mother and what all she got in trouble with were in fact, muggles (since she was in Europe, she had to get used to that term). Needless to say, she was not a fan.

"Aha!" Nalani beamed, "Only a wizard names Merlin in that sense! Thank Merlin! I wouldn't know how to behave in front of a nomaj, I mean, muggle." Nalani giggled before realizing that she didn't answer his question. The animal traps would be painful, so she got her sneakers and socks out of the bag and knelt down to put them on. While asked if she was hurt, she shook her head. "No, I'm fine. I'm just exploring and all. I love going to places I have never been to. Never know who you might meet." Nalani winked before she stood up straight, dusting her skirt from the stray strands of grass that clung to the fabric.

This girl was so... confident? That wasn't the right word, though it did seem accurate. It wasn't something Liam was used to particularly, usually people were less open, well the people he knew anyway. "Well, no.." There was no way to describe the estate without sounding like something of a prat, so he'd just have to say it. "It's more... a castle, really. Not particularly huge, s'far as castle go..." Well, if that wasn't bound to make the intruder think him an idiot, the hand which raised up to scratch at his hair as he spoke certainly would. "It's over there, beyon' that last hillock. You cannae see ih, it's a bit of a trek down," and now he was rambling. You'd swear he'd never seen an attractive woman before. She was American to boot, he knew that tourists often came into the town, but he didn't see them. He didn't really meet women his own age anymore, not since leaving Hogwarts and taking over the running of the estate. Most of the people he met were horse owners, or jockeys. Some were women, of course, but mostly older than Liam.

"Be careful, our staff are largely muggles, Mum doesnae like using House Elves, and I agree with her for the most part. Our butler is a wizard though, and our cook. The outdoor staff are mostly muggles, really, in the house we like to use magic, so it wouldnae make sense, y'know." Her use of an unfamiliar word sparked his curiosity though, "What was it you said? No-maj. Is that the American word for muggles? You are American aren't you?" His large connection with American was a still-active obsession with Star Wars, not that he would admit that to the young witch before him. The winking disarmed him, and the young man's cheeks burned a bright red. "Uh, wow. That must be interesting, travelling I mean. I always wanted to travel after school, but I had to, had to come back y'know? See to the estate with mah Father." Oh good Merlin, he wasn't doing well. "Um, do you want to see the castle?" The words were out before he could fathom quite how much his father would disapprove, and quite how much his mother would read into his bringing a guest, but there was no way he would retract the invitation.

Nalani cocked her head slightly to the side, barely making out what the boy was saying. Liam, it was. She placed that in her rather exceptive memory. Though when he said castlel, her eyes shone like stars. She loved visiting old buildings that were like castles! Nalani beamed, excitement ringing in her voice, "A castle?! Wow! That's super exciting and I would love to see it!" Nalani wanted to take him by the hand and go, but she couldn't remember which direction, and figured that he would just lead her. Though, with how Liam was acting, Nalani couldn't help but think he was adorable. He seemed like he was sheltered, whereas she definitely wasn't. She was just glad that she was exploring before trying to figure out what she wanted in life: cook, Quidditch or house wife. It was a hard decision, and figured that when an opportunity rose, she would see it. Although hearing about the muggles, Nalani's smile faltered somewhat. Muggles were not something she knew how to behave around. Good thing her wand was in its holder under her skirt. Completely concealed, like a weapon. Perhaps it could be seen as one, though. A deadly stick, really.

"Yep! Born in Hawaii, raised in Washington state. This is the first continent I've been on since my own, and I plan on stepping on all of them at least once. And you are right about the term we use for non-magical people." Nalani really thought that this boy should get out a little more. It was almost as if he had not traveled before. And he just confirmed her suspicions. His parents, er, father, made him come back to handle the estate? Nalani placed her hand on her cheek and pursed her lips, almost like a pout. That was incredibly sad! "Yes, please. But, you've never traveled? Why not be a little naughty and disobey the dad? After all, everyone needs a bit of experience in everything." Nalani placed her hands behind her back and smirked slightly, definitely showing him that she was mischievous as they come.

The castle wasn't exactly exciting, as far as Liam was concerned. Then again, he'd grown up among the opulent lanterns and the chandelier of the great hall. They didn't have a particularly grand staircase; the entrance hall was a square room, not small by any means, but not huge. The staircase up to the bedrooms and such spilled into the corner of the room, but it wasn't an enormously wide one. He'd visited other estates, one in particular had a staircase which spanned the width of entire wall when one entered. Theirs shared a wall with a door which led to the saloon before the library and the dining room. He liked that the castle wasn't enormous; it wouldn't have felt like home if it were. "Come on then!" Breaking into a trot, Liam headed toward the hillock from which he knew the American would see Caisteal Kale. "That's home." They could walk from here, but this hilltop had one of his favourite views of the place, the keep had changed little since it's building, almost square in shape, there had been some building-on when indoor plumbing had come to the forefront of technology. At Nalani's mention of having moved as a child, and her plans to travel, Liam's jaw dropped, "Oh Wow, I've only ever lived here, and Hogwarts New Zealand, but that doesnae really count when it's for schooling." He had like Hogwarts, initially. As the years went by, he began to dread graduating and returning to the highlands. While he loved the land, he didn't love having his life written before he'd lived it.

Her words caused his ears to turn slightly red. "No doubt you donnae have any problem with being.. naughty, but this is what I was born for, really. I'm to be Baron some day, they've been trainin' me since I was but a lad." It wasn't that his parents hadn't wanted kids; they had, but they'd also wanted an heir. "I love me parents, I donnae want to hurt them, but sometimes.." A sigh escaped his lips, "Sometimes,I'd like to fly off somewhere new and strange and they'd have to cope somehow without me, no doubt it'd all be fine in the end." With that, he began walking "You can see the stables too if you like, I love horses, we've about two hundred or so, some our own, some boarders. Oh, and some eriskay ponies; Mum loves 'em." There were some things about which Liam's childish enthusiasm would never die, and those things included horses, rugby, quidditch, and star wars.

Excited as they come, Nalani followed the man named Liam up to toward the castle, stopping for a moment to take in the view. Even though it was not huge, Nalani was still in awe with the beauty. Something about castles just lit her soul up. She loved it and wondered if Liam felt the same way. Though, this was his home, so he likely would never feel the same thing that she was feeling right now. "It is absolutely beautiful!" The American said as she brushed her hair behind her shoulders and away from her face. This was amazing. But, if she had to spend more than a week here, Nalani would go mad. Constantly, her dad told her to settle down in one place. That was the whole reason for this. To get it all out of her system and to help her find her way. "My older siblings went there. Back when mom and dad were divorced. Mylie Thoreau and Zayne Baros. They loved it. I, on the other hand, was sent to Ilvernmorny." She was a proud Thunderbird graduate. It definitely suited her well. After all, she was an adventurer. That much was definitely a fact.

The American giggled when he said that she didn't have problems being naughty. Liam seemed like such a good man, it would be hard to even try to corrupt him. Nalani spoke, using hand gestures as well, "Pfft. Born to be a slave to a parents' will is like torture to me. My dad just wants me to get this all out of my system since I don't know what I want to do yet. If a part of you wants to escape, I say do it. In the dead of night cause then you won't get caught." It was as if Nalani was speaking of experience, and she was. Though he did mention horses, which she did get side tracked a bit. "Never ridden a horse though. That sounds like fun!" A part of her wished that he wouldn't try to take her inside. She never really left good impressions on parents.

Watching Nalani, Liam wanted to gauge her reaction to the castle. He was incredibly proud of his home, and was anxious that others should see in it the beauty that he did. Aesthetics aside, generations of his family had lived in this place, cared for this land, and been caretakers of this castle. Liam's father said they weren't owners, but caretakers for future generations, and it was a sentiment that appealed to his son. Her words made him smile, and with them, he continued to walk down toward the castle. the stables became somewhat visible too, the closer you got, though they were housed behind the castle, with a wall of trees blocking a proper view. You could access them only by walking around, the immediate surrounds of Caisteal Kale were gardens, tended to by his mother. Choosing to bypass the main gate, Liam began to head along by the hills, his destination unclear, but he felt it mightn't be helpful to subject her to his parents.

"I'm no slave, I'm his heir!" Indignant, Liam rounded on her. "I couldnae do tha', it'd break their hearts!" His was a sensitive soul, he always had been a big believer in right and wrong. "You donnae uderstand, this is my duty. What I want doesnae really matter much." He wanted to leave, that much was true. When she got distracted by his mention of the horses, he was glad, and took the opportunity gratefully. Grabbing her hand, he hurried toward the paddock behind the wall of trees. "Come on then, you can meet Obi Wan." Obi Wan was getting a bit old, but he was still Liam's favourite horse. These days, however, he rode a mare, called Leia. Obi wasn't up for much wear and tear these days. "He's ma horse since I was a lad." As they neared the paddock, he could see the beloved old gelding out to graze, and pointed so Nalani could see. Hopefully, she might stop trying to incite rebellion, because if truth were told, she was begin to break through to the young Scot, and his adventurous spirit wasn't so dead that it couldn't be roused by a beautiful woman who seemed to understand his restlessness.

Despite the fact that Liam said that he was no slave, but an heir, it still sounded the same to her. He was bounded, shackled here. But, at least he seemed sensitive and caring. Nalani couldn't resist smiling at that. It did make her think of all the things she did to her parents. Did they ever think that she was a disappointment? Maybe. Did she ever break their hearts? It did make her wonder. Her mother was so forgiving though. She didn't blow a head gasket like her dad did when they found Amycus with her boyfriend. Though, she did think it was just who's family he came from that alerted her dad. But, she still felt pity for Liam. Maybe if she met the parents, she could convince them to let their boy go off and do whatever. Or just sneak him out somehow. Nalani allowed herself to be distracted by horses. After all, it was new. She felt her hand being held by Liam's, before she curled her fingers around his hand. This must be so that she didn't get lost in this area. There was no other explanation.

Although the name did strike something within her, it took her a few moments to remember what it was. Obi Wan. That name, it was a no-maj thing. "Hang on, that's a no-maj thing. Star Trek? No... Wrong thing. Star Wars!" Nalani always got the two confused, but mainly because of it being in space. She did know a couple of characters, like the white soldier things could never hit a target and never have a red shirt while on board with Spock. Something like that. Nalani saw the old horse, and her eyes widened, as she looked upon the horse grazing. "So you have horses, do you ever race them, ride them all around the country, or do they stay here?" Nalani looked to the Scottish man, cocking her head to the side slightly. She wanted to see everyone have the same freedom as she did. Her father used to not allow such things, but her mother warmed him up a bit. It wasn't like Nalani would do anything dangerous. She just loved going around and experiencing new things.

He was glad that the conversation had veered away from his being trapped in the highlands forever. He loved this place, but he worried that one day he would tire of it, that when he was an old man living here with an appropriate wife and 2.5 children, he would look back and wish he'd run away. He wanted to travel enough to miss this place, to long to be home. He'd missed the Highlands when he'd been in New Zealand, he'd loved coming home, seeing his parents, his grandmother, Cat. Cat was gone now, in Hogwarts New Zealand herself. She wasn't meant for schooling, his Cat. She was a dreamer, and he knew she planned to run off around the world. She wanted to paint, she wanted to explore. It was up to him to protect her right to do so. He would do anything for his sister. Idly, he wondered if Nalani would understand. She'd mentioned older siblings, but did she have younger ones? That protective side of him meant that his little sister needed to be cared for.

As they approached the paddock, Liam leapt over the fence, turning back to help Nalani, his ears turning pink at her comment. "Um, yes, it's Star Wars... I've liked it since I was a boy." Like was an understatement, he loved Star Wars. He always had. Obi Wan trotted across toward him, and he brought a hand to his nose. Obi was old now, bits of his coat were grey and his legs weren't as strong or sure as they had been. He could feel the geldings breath on his hand, and began to run his hands along his coat. Obi was always a comfort to him, ever since he was a boy. "We do a bit of both. We have some racers, and we follow the cross country circuit too. Some are boarders, people who own horses will stable theirs here." It sounded like a lot more than it was. He'd grown up with this life, but to others it might sound more odd. He loved animals, always had. They'd always lived with them around, the dogs in the house, the horses in the stables. It was how they'd always lived. "Come, pet him," he smiled, glancing back at Nalani, as a grin split his face. This was a place where he was always comfortable.

While Nalani wasn't really a huge fan of muggle things, she did appreciate their love and the storylines to most. They were fascinating to her. Sadly, she never got into Star Wars or Star Trek. She just did her research to know more about them, before judging for herself. That much she could say. Nalani giggled, "You must have really liked it to name a beloved pet after it!" This, to her, was a pet. She did want a pony when she was younger, but what little girl didn't? Instead, she got her own broom. That was what her father gave her. Her mother gave her an easy bake kit, which was definitely good too. Both of those gifts were used religiously. Perhaps all her life, she could never decide to be in the kitchen, or out in the field. Nalani approached the horse, the old one, and reached out her hand to give it a quick pet on the nose. She smiled, before looking to Liam. "Your home is incredible. Defintiely a lot more interesting than mine. My step-mother used to berate me for my blood status. She was a... Well, she had no-majs for parents. I guess deep down, she hated Slytherins and pure-bloods." She would never use the term mudblood. But such hatred did bother her. It bothered her immensely. That passion could definitely be used elsewhere.

"She's not the only one, my owl is named Yoda, and I have a mare called Leia." Liam's enthusiasm was evident, but his ears were still burning red with embarrassment. He stood back a little as he watched Nalani become acquainted with Obi. "If I have a child, I'd nearly call him Luke if it wouldn't scandalise the family too much, and I'd like to name him after my grandfather," he absentmindedly scratched the back of his head as he watched the young American. Liam wasn't used to this kind of open talk. Usually he ended up engaged in an endless sea of small talk. "Well, that's not nice. But I guess a lot of muggleborns are used to prejudice from the other side. Maybe it was her sort of.. I dunno, defense mechanism y'know?" People could be so unkind to each other. "As for Slytherin, I remember I was very, competitive, with regards to Slytherin back in school. I was a Gryffindor. I think people can get a bit too caught up in the Houses bit." An idea entered his head, and he swung himself up on Obi's back, reaching a hand down to Nalani. He wasn't saddled, but that had never stopped Liam. "Come on, I'll take you up the top of the hill and you'll get a better view." The highlands looked best from a height, and he doubted she wanted to come into the castle and visit with his parent.

Nalani was very interested in what Liam had to say, and how his enthusiasm was a relief from the uptight area this seemed to be. It actually made him look sexy. Of course, hearing the name of the child that he would want, if it didn’t scandalize the family, Nalani thought over it for a few moments. She gently pet the older horse as she spoke, “I think you need to talk to your girlfriend or wife about that one.” She didn’t know if he had either, but if he didn’t, then she could definitely flirt and not feel bad for it. They did hold hands, but that was kids stuff. Nalani liked things a little more revealing. “Luke is a nice name. I think I have a cousin named Lukas.” She wasn’t sure which kid he was, but she was sure that she had one. But her family was very spread out. That much she knew. Nalani shrugged her shoulders, “My family were never like that. The Baros and Thoreau line were pure, and both were always kind toward anyone no matter the status. I think she needed to loosen up a bit, or hated my mom. My mom is gorgeous.” Nalani thought that she got her good looks from her mom. The whole house thing for Hogwarts was a little over her head, but figured that it was the same at her old school. She figured she could have easily been a Gryffindor. Her older siblings were in Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Her parents were the same way. Nalani took Liam’s hand, and hoisted herself up onto the horse’s back, and placed her arms around Liam’s waist to hang on tight. “Okay! Let’s see what he can do!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back