Appreciating the new Sun

Sam Prince

OOC First Name
Louise
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Sam walked alongside Toni from the Owlery. He was about to send a letter to Jenna when he met Toni there. It had been such a long time since he saw her and he realised how much he had missed her. They decided to go for walk in the fine change of weather form rain and snow to clear skies and a beaming sun.

They made their way onto the lawn and Sam slowed his pace down a bit, he put his hands in his jeans pockets and then asked her, "So why the vendetta against the lake?" He asked her, he couldn't help but let a smile to spread across his face.

Toni was surprised to have met Sam up in the owlery nonetheless hear the news about Jenna. But now that seemed almost far off in the past. Now it was like nothing had ever happened and the sad atmosphere was gone. The day was bright and for once Toni didn't mind being outside.

Walking alongside Sam, Toni clearly had a smile on her face. It was nice being around him again. After all he was her first friend that she made here at Hogwarts. Laughing a tiny bit as Sam mentioned the lake, Toni shook her head slightly knowing that it was an awful story to tell.

"Let's just say I'm not fond of mermaids" Toni said thinking back to that day when she was dragged into that dirty water getting all muddy and gross. Dumb mermaid She thought.

Sam gave Toni a supiscous look, "I can see where this is going." He smirked, trying to hold back laughter, not that he was laughing at her, just that it was her that it happened to. "I'm guessing you don't to want to relive the memories right?" He let out a soft laugh.

As the sun beamed down on his skin it reminded him of a time when he was back home in London and there was a heatwave. It was the first and only time he had gotten sunburnt. Then there was that time in their most recent herbology class when they were planting pumpkins and he felt his face burn a little, but he was wearing his uniform so he couldn't feel it on his skin as much as he could now.

"Herbology's a right old pain isn't it?" It must of sounded completely random to Toni but he just had to say it. It was his worst subject, not only cause he was bad at it but he just found it completely boring and Professor Styx was horrible.

Toni let out a small laugh as Sam just knew why she disliked the lake with a simple and broad statement that she had given. "It just wasn't my most shining moments"Toni said shaking her head as she thought back at it. Back then it was almost tear worthy. Now it seemed silly, but still she wasn't risking a repeat. That water is so" She paused trying to find the right word which wasn't hard with all the words that seemed to come to mind. "Well disgusting and dirty for one thing" She said thinking about how it took two washes to get all the dirt out of her blonde hair.

Looking forward as she walked, Toni could almost feel the sun shining. Not even thinking about the possibility that she might get burnt. Now that would not be good at all. When Toni got burnt she got burnt like bright red. Not a pretty sight.

As Sam randomly brought up Herbology, Toni nodded agreeing right off the bat. "The teacher gives me the creeps" Toni said thinking about how she was not yet able to even look the professor in the eye other than the occassional glare that she managed when assigned stupid tasks. "I don't even see how anything in that class is going to be usefulat all" She added. Though most of the classes she didn't fid overly useful.

"No it obviously wasn't one of your most shining moments." He said still laughing. "Yeah, I've been in it before." He admitted, "But I wasn't dragged in or anything- not like some." He nudged her with his elbow. "I was swimming believe it or not." He had completely forgotten about that, he was swimming with Knight and Hoshi.

"Yeah theres something weird about him alright." Sam had noticed that the first time he saw him but didn't look into it too much. He only had him once a week, Sam could manage. "Yeah I know! I can see why we learn about DADA and Charms but Herbology. No one cares about how to grow plants!" Sam said. "I haven't met a single person who had enjoyed his classes." he added finally to his little rant.

Toni couldn't believe how long a go that accident with the mermaids was. It was actually about a day after her and Sam broke up. All that seemed so far and gone. Luckily it felt that way. After all this time the arkward side of Sam and her's friendship seemed to fade completely.

"Oh shut up" Toni added nudging him right back with her own elbow. "it's not my fault that fish don't like me" She added laughing at how odd that really sounded. "But why on earth would you go swimming in that lake" Toni shook her head at this thought. It was so wrong in her mind to actually want to go swimming in unclear and unclean water.

Toni was glad that Sam did agree that there was something not quite right with the Herbology professor. Really Toni thought she was the only one. But maybe there really wasn't anything wrong with him. Maybe it was just that Toni didn't like the coldness or the subject he in general. "Actually I think a few people actually like the subject" Toni said rolling her eyes

Ever since that day when she brought her uniform, Toni knew she was going to hate the subject. Once that boy at the shop told her about it, Toni could not help but dislike it. "I know that is one of the subjects I'm going to give up when I can" Toni said not even knowing which year she was able to give up a few subjects. Was it third year or sixth year? Anywho it was a long way away.

"That and probably History of Magic" Toni added her tone truthful but hopefully she only knew that it was a lie. Toni loved history of Magic but it was a dorky class to like. For that reason she kept her care for it completely secret not uttering a good word about it at all. "Are you staying in New Zealand for the Summer?" Toni asked randomly the thoughts of summer still fresh in her mind

"Well Hoshi was in swimming and I joined her and then Knight came..." Sam said explaining it. It was really just a spore of the moment sort of thing. But he enjoyed the small water fight they had.

"Yeah me too. That and Astronomy, but don't get me started on that subject." he warned her. He hated Astronomy and usually ended up daydreaming during that class. "Yeah History of Magic can be quite suckish. Though sometimes it can be interesting." He admitted though he wished it was more about History of Quidditch.

Sam nodded, "Yeah. I'm not going back home, but a brat of a cousin who is attending here next year is linving with me and my uncle now." Sam sighed. "You should come over sometime." Sam suggested.

Toni nodded as Sam explained. Of coarse Hoshi had been involved. Gosh the three of them, Sam, Hoshi, and Knight, were like unable to be separated for long. This sort of bothered Toni but she said nothing about it. Instead she pushed it out of mind, bringing her head towards the sky taking the sunlight on her face.

"Aww poor Sam doesn't like Astronomy" Toni said laughing a bit. Of coarse Astronomy was another one of those not so fond classes. Yet Toni wasn't sure if she would be dropping that one ever. It was easy enough to understand. She did need the best grades possibly so Astronomy did have to stay. Good enough grades hopefully to become prefect. That was one of her goals.

Happily Toni smiled as Sam said he wasn't going home. That meant someone else that was staying in New Zealand. That was if Toni decided to stay in the New Zealand. "Brat of a cousin" Toni repeated a bit surprised that Sam was not close to his own cousin. He just seemed the type that would be.

"I'd like to come over sometime" Toni said "Maybe put that brat of a cousin in place" She added of coarse teasing. Toni had never met Sam's cousin but taking that Sam disliked him/her, the cousin must be pretty awful. "I'd invite you over to the house if you could deal with my family" Toni added rolling her eyes. "Even though it would just be the triplets and my mom" She continued wishing that Amanda would come up as well. Twirling a piece of her hair gently, Toni continued on for the walk.

"Yeah. Words can't describe." He laughed. He never got on with any of his cousins except one but she lived in New York. All the rest were just typical; Stuck up, Snobby and plain rude. "I'll make sure shes out of the house before you come over." he winked.

"Your family will be nothing comapred to mine." Sam said shaking his head. Now it was okay, living wth Colin. He wasn't like the rest of his brothers. He was a decent man. Sam would be much to ashamed to bring Toni to meet his parents. Though he was sure they'd love her, he would be too embarrassed.

As they walked along side each other Sam breathed in the clean fresh warm air. "Oh. I forgot to ask how the Yule Ball went?" Sam asked her. He seen Toni and she looked amazing. But he didn't see her a lot, after a while she was gone.

Toni laughed as Sam spoke more about his cousin. All Toni concluded was that it was a girl. Other than that she didn't want to ask much else. If Sam didn't care for her Toni doubted that she would like his cousin either. But she could never be sure. Not that it mattered much at all. The more present thought was that Sam actually invited her over which was nice. Toni never had a friend that invited her over like that. Before Hogwarts Toni really didn't have too many friends at all.

"You don't know my family so I don't think you can make that comparsion" Toni said shaking her head but thinking that it was a good thing that Sam had never met anyone else in her family. It was going to happen next year when three of her siblings came up but Toni could wait for that day to come.

Yet Sam's next comment caught her off guard a bit. "The Yule ball" She repeated looking over at him. Now that Toni thought about it, she hadn't talked to Sam at the Yule ball. No after the run in with Jenna, Toni didn't even bother to go over to the group in fear something more would come up. Plus she had her mind focused on other things. Looking away from a moment on of those almost day dreaming smiles appeared on her face as she thought back to it.

Sensing that she had taken a few minutes before she answered, Toni spoke. "Oh yeah" She began "It went well. Really grand actually. Even though I think I might have stepped on Beau's feet just a little bit" She laughed at the thought. "But you know me I love to dress up so it was fun" She added looking over at Sam now. Should she return the question or would it be odd to speak of Jenna.

Deciding that she would give it a try, Toni spoke "And your Yule Ball? How did it go?" She asked.

"They can't be that bad Toni." Sam said, though maybe she felt the same about her family as he did about his. Many people claimed their family was awful but secretly loved them. Sam didn't. Once he got the chance he moved to New Zealand. It was a strange thing about him that he didn't feel an ounce of love towards his parents, maybe Toni was in the same boat as him.

Sam waited for her reply about the Yule ball. It took her some time and Sam turned his head to look at her. She was smiling, absent-mindily, Sam wanted to remind her of the question a little jealously bubbling up. Stop! He told himself firmly. He just turned away- she'd get there eventually.

Sam forced a small laugh when she said about stepping on Beau's feet. Sam wanted to make the night perfect for Jenna and got dancing lessons from an older student, since Jenna didn't know how to dance either. When she returned the question it didn't take as long for him to answer, "Yeah it was great! I had an awesome time. " Sam said simply. "Even if I did look like a waiter." He added a small smirk.

"Whatever you say Sam" Toni said dropping the conversation of her family completely. The only member that she cared about in the least was Amanda and still she wouldn't admit that to anyone. Sure if the others were getting picked on or something, Toni would stand up for them only for the simple reason that they were blood. But other than that she could care less.

Almost hesitant about Sam's reply about the Yule ball. Toni wondered if they had just entered bad territory for a friendly conversation but luckily the mention of Beau didn't set anything off and no awful comments were made. That was more than just a relief. In some ways Toni wished that Sam and Beau could just be friends, but she doubted that would ever happen. Maybe years from now they could all put that aside and at least all hang out together. Though Toni had to admit that may be thinking too positive. As of now Sam, Beau, and Knight not killing each other was good enough.

Laughing a bit at Sam's waiter comment, she had almost wished that she had caught more than just a glimpse of Sam. The only time she really saw him was when he was dancing with that brat and Toni refused to keep her gaze on that dance for longer than a few seconds. "I bet you looked great. Hansome even" Toni added flashing a smile in his direction. "Overall I think the Yule ball went over well" She added thinking more to herself than anything else. "But you are going to have to save me a dance next year" Toni added nudging him gently.

As they continued their walk, Toni swung her hand just slightly at her side as out of habit and nothing else. It seemed Sam and her hadn't had a simple conversation between the two of them in forever. Almost as if Toni forgot what they had spoken about and what they hadn't covered in the time they had not seen each other. Looking out she noticed a few students playing tag in the lawn around them. Smiling Toni couldn't remember the last time she actually acted her age. Always acting older than she was and Toni liked it that way. "Eleven year olds" Toni said rolling her eyes but laughing a bit at the end. "Wow it took ages before I could actually say that" Toni added thinking that maybe that was one good thing about being twelve.

Sam shook his head. He had been forced to gel his hair back by older students who were dying to do a make-over on someone and Sam was there victim. "I wouldn't say handsome...more...dorky." He returned to the compliment to Toni, "You looked really great." He said quietly. Really great was an understatement but he didn't want to say anything more.

He nodded, "Yeah it was good. Better than I thought it would be." he said while putting his hands into his pockets. Then Toni mentioned about dancing with her next year. Sam wanted to have one dance with Toni but she was dancing with Beau and he was with Jenn. He couldn't possibly tell Jenna that he was going to have a dance with Beau and he couldn't ask Beau for a dance with Toni, it'd be just too awkward.

"Yeah. I'm going to have to fit you into my schedule." Sam said laughing and he nudged her back. The next ball seemed so far away- not that he was complaining- after all the events that happened at the beginning of the year made that term seem so long. He hoped there would be a lot less drama next year.

Sam looked at Toni again but she was looking at a pair of students not to far away from them playing tag. Sam smiled, he hadn't played tag since..well...a long long time. He didn't like it being so mature. Then Toni spoke and Sam chuckled, "Yeah immature children.." Sam said mockingly rolling his eyes. Then Sam's eyes flickered a little bit of excitement as he pushed Toni's shouldler gently, "Tag!" he laughed then sprinted down the lawn wondering if Toni would play along.

Toni couldn't help but laugh when Sam said that he had looked dorky. As she glanced over at him, she tried to picture him ever looking dorky. The image just wouldn't come to mind as if it wasn't quite possible. "I doubt you could look dorky but whatever you say" Toni added still trying to think about how Sam looked at the Yule ball. Other than the glance she had managed to steal, Toni had nothing else to go on. "Thanks. It took all day getting ready" She said still not sure even after the fact if she accomplished looking as great as she was told. Shrugging it off, Toni looked ahead once more thinking about nothing in particulaur.

"Oh Thanks a lot" Toni said rolling her eyes as Sam said he would have to fit her in. Of coarse she knew he was joking and hopefully her tone showed that. "But you have plenty of time to pencil me into that schedule" Toni continued her head for a moment filling with next year ideas for her Yule ball dress. Maybe this time she would go for something more princess like.

"I don't even remember the last time I played.." Toni began but was cut off when Sam pushed her gently saying the very word that was going to come out of her mouth next. Part of Toni couldn't even imagine chasing after him. How childish was playing a game of tag. Yet she was a child and tag seemed like a fun idea. Even if it was only to show Sam that she would be able to catch him. "Come on Sam arent' you a little old for that" Toni added smiling still as she leaned over as if she was untying her shoe. Carefully and rather fast she slipped off both shoes leaving them in the grass, Toni rushed to stand up before she began her persuit of Sam running towards him as fast as she could for once not worring if she was getting dirty.

"Well you'd be lucky to fit into my schedule. Like its pretty booked already." Sam said trying to keep a straight face but it didn't last long at all. He couldn't help but let laughter escape from his mouth. "I'm just joking. I'll be looking forward to dancing with you" he said truthfully.

Sam turned around, "A little too old.." he laughed, "But no one is watching!" He didn't care if anyone saw him play it, he was only twelve years old. He smirked as she took of her shoes, "You're not going to let me easily out of this are you?" he called up to her, knowing Toni mean't business if she was taking of her shoes. He then spun around and continued to run occaisionally lookng over his shoulder to take a glimpse at the distance between them.

The thought of actually dancing with Sam at a Yule ball was different for Toni, she didn't know if it was an odd thought or one that excited her. Really at the start of the year she swore that it would be her and Sam that danced at the Yule ball together. Things changed and it didn't happen that way at all. It was all for the best, Toni was happy, Sam was happy and now they were back to being friends. "I promise I will learn to dance beforehand so I won't step on your feet as well" Toni added making a mental note to actually learn how to dance over the summer.

Toni continued her determined run towards Sam glancing around her for a moment to see that no one was really watching. At least not now. Would it bother Toni if someone was? Well that would all matter. "Of coarse I'm not going to let you off easy. I mean you know how competative I am" Toni said letting out a small laugh.

Faster Toni thought as she tried to run as fast as she could. Really she wasn't in the outfit to play tag but that wasn't going to stop her. Finally she was so close to Sam she reached out her hand just brushing up against his back. "Got You" She said happily.

Sam was beginning to slow down. Quidditch wasn't a sport that made you fit, so Sam wasn't. That was the only sport he played. He then felt Toni's hand on his back, "Damnit!" He said turning around to her.

Then a wicked grin spread across Sam's face. He put his arms around Toni's waist and spun around quickly, "I got you back!" He laughed then let go and ran quickly away, still laughing to himself. He was having such good fun, it was hard to believe he was so miserable about an hour earlier.

Toni was surprised that Sam was awfully fast. Though really she guessed that if you were fast on a broom than you weren't the best runner. Or he could possibly just going easy on her. Hopefully that wasn't the case. Yet Sam's next move caught Toni a bit off guard. Laughing a bit as he put her down and ran away rather fast. "Crap" Toni muttered as she couldn't believe how she hadn't run quickly when she had gotten Sam in the first place. She wasn't going to make that mistake again.

Once again running in the direction of Sam, she couldn't believe that she was actually outside playing tag. It was almost unbelievable but fun. Of coarse it was fun. Trying hard not to laugh as she ran for it was hard to run and laugh but laughing in this situation was hard not to do.

Once again she reached Sam so close she could almost reach out and grab him. Letting out another laugh she reached as far as she could actually tagging him "Yes" She said turning the opposite direction as quickly as she could making sure not to make the same mistake as last time.

Sam keep running and his legs began to hurt he made a note to himself to get fitter over the summer. He began to run slower against his will and the next thing he felt Toni's hand on him and sighed, "Damn you are a quick runner..or is it that I am just slo-?" Then Toni was off and Sam shook his head, he wouldn't give up now.

Running after her as fast as his tired legs could carry him. He chased after her for a couple of minutes, before putting his hands on the top of his thighs. He hesistated before saying, "Fine! You win! I suck at this!" He then allowed himself to collapse on the grass. He spread his arms out wide and tried to control his breathing a little. He was definetly going to get fitter over the summer.

Toni continued to run not bothering to look back in fear that she would completely trip and fall. Now that would have been more than embarrassing. Actually Toni didn't stop running until she heard Sam's voice. Turning around a bright smile was now on her face. "Victory" She managed to say though even Toni was breathing a bit harder than normal. Maybe she would have to start running with Bailey this summer or maybe even for the rest of the semester.

Walking over to Sam, she plopped down on the grass beside him. As she sat there she readjusted her hair and looked down at her outfit that was not too untidy. Overall playing tag did not kill her appearance. She would have to remember that later on in the future.

After Toni had gotten her breathing back to normal she began to speak once more. "You better stick to quidditch" Toni added looking down at the grass behind her debating as to whether or not it was safe to lean back. Deciding that she shouldn't at this moment, she just crossed her legs carefully and looked out at the lawn. "I haven't played tag in ages" She managed to say thinking that when she hung around Sam, Toni did act rather different than she normally did around the other students.

Sam felt like kicking himself for letting Toni win. He couldn't believe he was beaten by a girl. But not just any girl, Toni. His best friend who would not let him live it down. He wanted to bury himself in a hole.

"Oi! Shut up. Youll see, by next year it'll be different. I'll kick your butt." Sam said putting his hands underneath his head. "Thats if you not too cool enough to play." he smiled, looking over at her. "Obivously, I haven't played it in a long time either." Sam laughed.

He had a lot of fun today, even though his legs would hurt in the morning, he didn't regret a single moment of it. "So ar eyou heading out to Brightstone one of the days?" he asked her randomly.

Toni let out a small laugh "Oh really better next year" She said rolling her eyes playfully of coarse. "Going to start running now just so you can beat me in tag" She added thinking that it sounded rather silly aloud but really Toni was just moments before thinking about running over the summer. Not to get better at tag but still it would happen if she got faster.

Deciding to lean back finally, Toni pushed her hair behind her ears before laying back onto the grass. Something had to be up with her to actually lay back in the dirty grass. Not giving it much thought she wondered what next year what really bring her. Would she be too cool to hang out and play tag with Sam? Probably not. Toni doubted that would ever happen. But one day it just might.

"Brightstone" Toni repeated as she looked up at the sky watching a few birds fly by as she thought about it. "Well I might go but I don't know how much shopping I'll get done" She stated knowing that those words probably sounded so odd coming from her own mouth. "I mean my dad put a limit on my money spending. He thinks I shop too much" She added smiling at the thought. Of coarse Toni shopped too much. it was just something that she did. "Why are you heading out to Brightstone?" She wondered.

"Well I just realised how unfit I am. So I may start up running." He threw her a wide smile then looked up at the clear blue sky. He wondered what sort of events would come his way next year. Would they all still be friends. Would there be a fight? Would they lose contact? These thoughts scared Sam a little but he didn't voice them.

Sam put his hand to his mouth in mock horror. "How are you going to survive with a budget?" He laughed a little, he was only playing with her. "I dunno, theres nothing much there for me. Only shopping. And we both know how I feel on that topic." He said dryly. There was the spot that he used to go to but couldn't bring himself to go there anymore, for a number of reasons.

"You're not unfit" Toni said hoping to make him feel better. "I mean even if you run miles a day I don't think you would ever be able to beat me" Toni teased slightly knowing quite well if Sam tried hard enough he could beat her at running. Hopefully Toni would never let that happen though. She hated to lose and since Sam seemed to outshine her in Quidditch, Toni needed something that she was better at.

Laughing when Sam seemed to be horrified at the thought of her on a budget she just shook her head slightly. "I don't think I will be able to survive. I can only buy two new outfits a month" Toni said the words so awful to hear outloud. How would she survive? She was going to have to have so much will power it wasn't even funny.

"Oh Sam I thought you loved shopping" Toni said still not understanding why the population of boys hating shopping. It made no sense to her. Toni loved shopping with a passion. It just didn't click how it was humanly possible to hate such a wonderful thing. Though Toni knew quite well that Sam hated shopping. "Well there are other things to do in Brightstone" Toni said not knowing what to really say. What else was there but shopping?

"You could always go out to eat, or just wonder the streets" Toni suggested knowing that they were lame suggestions but really it was nice to get out of the school every once and awhile. "Or you can find new" She paused the words not able to come out of her mouth. Her words were going to be 'find new spots that you can claim as your own' but Toni wasn't willing to say that. In a way she didn't want Sam to find anymore wonderful spots. Maybe that was selfish of her, but in this case Toni didn't care.

Say something She thought knowing that she had to fix what she was going to say or Sam would question her. "You can find new" Again a short pause "New people to hang out with. Branch out from out small group of friends" Toni ended lamely cursing herself inwardly for her stupid mess up.

Sam laughed, "Yeah your right. You're just unbeatably fast." he said sarcastically. He was glad he had one goal for the summer, it would get him out of the house. Away from his cousin. It was perfect.

"Two outfits a month?" Sam said shocked he even force himself up. "How many outfits would you normally buy?" He shook his head laughing, "You just keep on surprising me, y'know that?" He said to her, Sam would barely buy one outfit in two months.

Sam listened to her suggestions on what else to do in Brightstone besides shopping until she stopped and found trouble finishing one of the suggestions. He raised an eyebrow then she said 'find new people to hang out with', he shrugged. "I guess..." he said absent-mindly. His thoughts were elsewhere. Why had it taken so long for her to say that?

Then it clicked, once again Toni had taken the words out of his mouth. He gave her a quick glance before looking away quickly. It was the first time there was an awkward moment all day and Sam couldn't think of anything at all to talk about. His mind just blanked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back