An Unexpected Visitor

Tristan's eyes narrowed as he listened to Morgase, taking everything in like roots would water, wary of the man who was obviously her brother next to her. He did not think Morgase would attack him, but he had to be wary.

"How long have you felt this way?" he inquired quietly, trying to hide his obvious shock at her words.

Morgase had not noticed Montague walking up behind her and cast the Muffling Charm before he got too close, making it so that he could not hear what she and Tristan were saying.

"A while, actually. I know I should have told you this sooner, but I did not think you would react well. It's not as if you can just drop the Death Eaters what with your father being who he is and all. That's why I figured it would just be easier for us to part ways."

"Easier?" Tristan inquired, his eyes narrowing, although he kept his voice calm. "Ease is out of the question; but I would rather have been told that than suffered through the sleepless nights wondering what else I had done wrong. What else had been rooted too deep to pull out. What had happened that had caused me to lose you and another child."

His eyes gleamed in both intense sadness and a bit of anger; this was what it had really been about? He considered telling her that she should have expressed her feelings more, but then realized it would be extremely hypocritical for him to do.

It seemed that no matter what he did, he lost someone. The last time he had tried to pull out, he had lost Lorelai and Estrella. This time, he had stayed in, and nearly the same thing had happened with Morgase and Erik.

Morgase sighed sadly. "Tristan, it's not just about the Death Eaters though. I...you are not the man I thought you were Tristan. I fell in love with the witty, rebellious Ravenclaw you were when I was dating Sam. Not this brooding, secretive man.

"I am sorry for hurting you like this, that is not what I wanted. But I did not know how to tell you all of this."

Tristan blinked hard, and then closed his eyes for a moment, breathing in deeply as he let the autumn breeze sweep through his hair and caress his clothing. He wished that when he opened his eyes that this would be over; the pang of self realization had careened into him with a large blow, helped along with Morgase's words.

"It was to impress you," he replied finally, "But I can see that it did not work. Everytime I change myself, I hurt someone else I love." He sighed deeply, at a standstill at this point in time; could he change himself for Morgase? He seriously doubted it. He was in too deep.

After a moment of silence, he inquired quietly, "What happens to Erik, then?" He knew that after all he had gone through, he was definitely not qualified to be a parent, neither full time nor part time.

Morgase frowned and looked down at the ground, then back up at Tristan. "I do not know. In all honesty I do not think you could raise him on your own Tristan. And really he should not be raised around Death Eaters like that. I can raise him just fine on my own." She knew Tristan would not like this, but she could see not any other way about it.

"In all honesty," Tristan replied hollowly, "You are correct. I believe Erik is much better off with you." He of course had already screwed up Estrella, but Erik at his age still had a chance.

"I don't think I can leave him entirely, Morgase." His blue eyes were pleading, although from what had happened in the past one would not be inclined to believe him. He could not bring himself to tears, although inside he felt twice as worse as if he would have been.

"You could visit him I suppose. I just do not like the idea of him growing up around Death Eaters, you know? He deserves to grow up without that mess."

Tristan sighed deeply as Morgase started to talk about visitation; the last time he had gone through that, he had not been able to keep up with it. Would it be different with Erik?

His hands falling to his sides, he said solemnly, "So; this is it then?" He did not want it to be over, but he could not shy away from the truth.

Morgase frowned at Tristan. "Unless you plan on changing drastically, then I am afraid that is is. I just cannot live like that anymore Tristan. First Sam, then you. I do not want that life anymore, and I want better for Erik than any of our children have had. Shane got kicked out, Estrella grew up without either of her parents, and Sophia is a right mess because of Sammael."

Morgase sniffled, looking down at the ground as tears welled up in her dark eyes. She did not want to be alone, but that was not enough of a reason to stay with Tristan.

Tristan moved forward to console Morgase, sadness welling up in his eyes but he stopped himself before he could get to her, his chiseled arms falling to his sides. He could not deny the truth in her words; but hidden behind his solemness was a glimmer of hope, tiny at that but still there. If he changed, he could have her back?

He knew that this was a rather drastic thing to leap for, and it would not be that easy. "Morgase- I did not want it to be this way either," he finally sad quietly, his expression somber. "But it happened." His eyes heavy and lidded, he said no more, unsure of what else to say.

Morgase was glad that Tristan did not get his hand to her. Having him console her would only make her want him back that much more.

"Yes, well, it does not matter anymore what any of us wanted," Morgase began, wiping her eyes and looked back up at Tristan. "It did happen, and now we have to deal with that. I cannot see any other way, can you?"

Tristan regretted not moving forward to Morgase, but providing the situation it was just a bit too uncomfortable. Stepping back and crossing his arms he looked back at Morgase, not able to bring himself to tears despite the fact that emotion had ensnared his insides and refused to let go.

"No," he replied hollowly, looking to her brother and the house. "No; there is no other way. Erik will be much happier growing up with you."

He looked to Morgase. "I don't want to do this anymore; but honestly, I think I'm in too deep. If I could start everything over again, I would but none of that matters now." Looking to the street, he said, "I have to deal with the consequences of the path I have already taken."

Morgase nodded somberly. "Yes, of course. I doubt my presence in the group will be missed at all." She did not think any repercussions would come of her abandoning the Death Eaters. She really had never been integral in them, just Sammael's wife.

Tristan looked back at Morgase, his blue eyes narrowing in speculation as he said, "Still, be careful, alright? I don't think I could bear it if something horrible happened to you or Erik." He didn't think that anything would happen to Morgase for leaving the group, but on the other hand, the people that were in the group were unpredictable. Especially his father.

"Of course." The fact that Tristan was being so understanding was making this even more difficult for Morgase. She expected him to fight her and be immature, but he was reacting very mature and noble.

"You should probably go now, before someone sees you."

Tristan nodded solemnly, looking back at Morgase with a determined expression. His light eyes fell to the street, where nothing in particular was happening. "I suppose I should. Good bye, Morgase." He almost told her that he loved her, but he could not bring himself to do it.

Not particularly wanting to leave, thinking that in the back of his mind he would have braved Azkaban to spend some more time with Morgase, he disapparated with a pop, his heart heavy with regret.

Morgase was relieved that Tristan had not made a fuss, but she was sad at the same time. The Tristan who had just left was the Tristan she had wanted to be with. Why was that Tristan not there when she had left? WHy did he have to be so wonderful now that she had decided it was over?

With a sigh Morgase turned around and was surprised to see Montague before her. She stepped up to him with a solemn expression. "Hey Mont. How is Erik?"

Morgase nodded. "Too well, actually." With a sigh she began to walk toward the house, just wanting to forget about the entire thing.

Erik was soon bored with his book, and appearing quite old for his age he set the glass of juice down on the table, a little startled as his unsteady hand knocked it over, spilling red all over the floor.

"Oops!" he exclaimed, and with a giggle he ran towards the kitchen door, not knowing any better. He futilely tried to turn the knob of the door, but he was too young to even understand the concept of a lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back