An Unexpected Visitor

Morgase Prince

Erik had been getting restless inside so Morgase took him out into the backyard of Montague's house. Montague was at work and Morgase saw no harm in letting Erik run around for a bit. Taking a seat on a bench Morgase simply watched as Erik ran about happily.

Erik was quite glad to be out of the house, his one and a half year old expression alight with excitement. Glad for no restraint and delighting in the freedom of space, he scuttled around the yard and started to run to the other side of the house. He did not go into the other yards about the house, finding them too formidable and unfamiliar for his liking. He liked his freedom but he also would not stray entirely too far from his mother.

Tristan had been contemplating approaching Morgase's brother's house ever since Shane had brought him to it, but something had held him back. Thus, he was forced to linger solemnly on the streets and behind other houses, careful not to step into the yard. He watched the house from time to time, never bringing himself to knock on the door.

His heart skipped a beat as Erik suddenly turned the corner of the house that he was on, and he could bear waiting no longer. Stepping out from behind a tree slowly, he approached his son, his unsure expression turned to one that was pleasant for his son, his blue eyes reflecting grief. He could never seem to make things right; not with Estrella, and now with Erik. It would not stop him from seeing him, however.

Erik's blue eyes widened as a tall man stepped out from behind a tree adjacent to another house, recognizing him immediately as his father. His voice at no low volume, he squealed shrilly, "DADDY!" And ran towards him with outstretched arms, a grin spread wide across his face.

[I hate to be a ruiner, but Montague's house is not that close to a forest. There is one nearby, but he lives more in the downtown of a village.]

Tristan was sure that Morgase would be here any second, knowing that she kept extremely good care of Erik, a quality that he himself could not say that he possessed. A wide grin on his face, he scooped up Erik in his arms and hugging him, kissing him affectionately on the cheek and holding him in his arms. "You've grown big, champ!" he said, holding his son while the moment could last, for he knew that it would not be long.

[It's being edited at the moment.]

Morgase had picked up and took to reading a book, not worried about Erik until she heard him yell DADDY!. Dropping the book Morgase jumped to her feet and looked over to see Tristan holding Erik. Fuming walked swiflty over to Tristan.

"What are you doing here Tristan?" she asked in a none too nice tone, not at all please.

Giggling happily, Erik stretched out his arms wide, echoing back, "Big, Daddy!" He took to leaning back in his arms, trying to flip upside down and confident that he was not going to fall.

He pulled himself upright again as he heard his mother's voice, his eyes alight and a grin on his face, oblivious to all the cares of the world around him.

Tristan caught Erik in his arms, pulling him back up so that he would not fall. He was still getting used to the fact of kids being such wiggle worms.

His expression drained as Morgase approached him, nothing friendly in her eyes. His blue eyes wide and sad and a lump forming in his throat, he replied after a long pause, "Making sure that my son is alright."

He continued to look back at Morgase with a longing sadness that he had not ever felt before, at least, not for a long, long time. He set Erik on his feet, knowing well enough that Erik was safe here.

Morgase crossed her arms over her chest and stared daggers at Tristan. "Did you not think I could take good care of him? I have been the one raising him after all."

"I did not say that at all, did I?" Tristan replied quietly, staring back at Morgase but not returning her the look of hatred that she exhibited. "I'm not here to ask you forgiveness, either. I'm the last person that deserves it."

He of course had written this many times in his letters, but it felt a lot better to say it instead of write it. He doubted she had even opened the letters anyway; he had never even gotten hate mail.

Morgase picked Erik up and looked at Tristan. "Good. Well, now that you have seen Erik you can go right back to wherever it is you came from." Without waiting for an answer Morgase turned on her heel, her long black hair whipping around behind her, and began back toward the house.

Tristan was dumbstruck as Morgase's words were harsh and seemingly final; he started to say something, but didn't. His eyes were wide with grief, sighing in his failure to communicate. Failure to say anything worth retribution, failure to pick up the threads of his life and and change them.

He stared back at Morgase's back for a moment, watching her get farther and farther away.

Feeling as if he were losing her all over again, he stammered, "No, wait!" His arms hanging at his sides, his blue eyes pleading, he added, "I love you; I still want to be with you. You may not feel the same way, but that is not going to change me."

He hoped that his words would somehow affect her, swallowing hard as he waited for her response.

Morgase stopped in her tracks at Tristan's words, sighing. Why is he doing this? She set Erik down on the ground and kneeled down so that she was at eye-level with him.

"Erik, can you go inside for Mommy? Mommy needs to talk to Daddy. All right?"

Erik smiled widely as he was set down, oblivious to what was going on as his blue eyes sparkled with blissful ignorance of the real world. "Otay," he said, running forward and giving Morgase a hug, and then breaking from her, he hugged his dad's legs, and before he was to forget he ran back inside the house, soon immersed in a children's book that he especially loved.

Morgase hugged Erik back and then got back to her feet, waiting. She watched him until he ran inside and turned back to face Tristan.

"Tristan, this...this will not work." Morgase no longer seemed angry, but instead a bit somber.

Montague apparated into his house, expecting to see his sister around, but was surprised to only see Erik. Alone, no less. That's not good, Montague thought, his sister wouldn't willingly leave the boy alone.

"Hey there, Erik," he crouched down beside him, "Where's Mommy?"

Tristan's expression hardened a bit as he stared back at Morgase, staying rooted in his place, his eyes pleading. "What are you saying won't work?" he asked hollowly, crossing his arms.

"Uncle Montygoo!" Erik exclaimed, throwing up his arms and jumping to the man for a hug, clinging onto him. He was still unable to pronounce the man's name right, but tried nonetheless. "Umm..." he started, grinning widely, "Mummy is tawkin with Daddy."

"You and me Tristan. We can't be together anymore. I thought I made that fairly clear when I left." Morgase did not really want to discuss all of the reasons why she could not be with Tristan, but was sure that it would come to that. He was fairly stubborn after all. She would need to move the conversation elsewhere soon, or cast a muffling charm.

Tristan put a hand to his head for a second, lowering his voice a bit. They were not isolated from the public after all, so having a conversation outside was not the wisest. Crossing his arms, he inquired, "I can understand why you feel that way, but what I cannot understand," he stepped forward a bit, but not too close so as not to be threatening, "Why we could not get back together."

Montague laughed as Erik clambered up onto him, "With Daddy?"

Tristan?

Montague summoned a glass of juice with his free hand, the other holding Erik, "Why don't you drink this on the couch and read your book? If you need anything come and get me," he said as he put the boy down on the couch. He didn't want the boy to come between his sister or Tristan, preferring that they just argued between themselves. He walked into the kitchen and heard voices from the back yard, and continued outside.

He walked outside in time to see Morgase and Tristan speaking. Clasping his hands behind his back, he calmly walked near to his sister, but didn't say anything, letting Morgase answer Tristan's question. He had his wand ready in his hand, just in case he needed to use it.

Morgase pulled her wand out of her pocket and flourished it around the two of them whispering "Muffliato," so that he knew she was not trying to hurt him. Sticking her wand back in her pocket Morgase sighed.

"Tristan, I do not want to live that life anymore. I don't want to sit and wonder where you are and what you're doing, wonder how many people you've killed and who you have to hide from next. I don't want to be associated with the Death Eaters at all Tristan."

Morgase stared up at Tristan with her dark eyes, waiting for his response. She knew that this would most likely be a shock to him, and she was unsure of how he would react.

"Otay," Erik replied solemnly, sipping at his juice and watching as his uncle left the room with his big eyes. He was curious why everyone was leaving him alone, but on the other hand he was pretty good for his age. He didn't get into stuff- Much.

"Uh oh," he said out loud as he spilled a bit of juice on the book, closing it quickly to hide the red stain, looking around him. He wasn't usually reprimanded for anything but still didn't want to get in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back