An Actual Adult

Satchel Howard

OOC First Name
Maia
Wand
Curly 8 Inch Flexible Beech Wand with Essence of Belladonna Core
Satchel was trailing a professor. There was no other word for it. He was actively following an adult in a position of power, and quite well, he thought. He skipped behind suits of armor and ducked into doorways every time he thought he might be spotted. Why he was following this professor was less clear. He liked Professor Pendleton, and he'd considered asking for an appointment, but felt that there was a chance family members would find out. He'd asked his cousins to treat Professor Pendleton well, which had been a mistake, because now if he were to show any preference for the Professor, they would see him as a traitor. As it was, his position in the family was secure after the events of the Summer, but that wasn't necessarily a good thing when it came to the Howards.

Satchel had come to a decision. He wasn't sure if it was the right one, and he wasn't sure how exactly to go about making the changes he felt were necessary. He needed advice. He needed a grown up. This wasn't the sort of thing he could go to his parents about, since they were a part of the problem, and if he'd tried to discuss it with his siblings... He couldn't imagine that ending well. So, here he was, actively tracing the footsteps of the only person he felt sure wouldn't reveal what he needed to say. He'd toyed with going to his head of house, but she seemed like such an actively good person, he didn't know if he could explain himself properly.

Monty was quite aware he had a shadow. In fact, he'd been aware of it for the last twenty minutes, though for what purpose he should be followed he could make neither head nor tail of. At first he had suspected himself the victim of some sort of prank, and had decided not to spoil the fun by confessing awareness; but as the minutes passed and no buckets of slime were dumped on his head, he began to consider alternative reasons for which he might be trailed. Certainly he led a very uninteresting life about the castle, so being spied upon was out of the question. Could it have been, then, that this student (for it surely was) wished to speak with him?

When at last Monty reached this conclusion, he stopped and turned at last to meet his shadow, surprised to behold the face of Satchel Howard. Of all the children that might have hoped to talk to him, Satchel had not been among Monty's best guesses. Perhaps he had been wrong, after all, and Satchel was following him for some purpose he had failed even to consider. "Hello," said the professor, deciding the best way to resolve the situation simply to ask. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Perhaps Satchel wasn't quite as adept as sleuthing as he'd thought he was. Obviously, he'd been spotted, since the Professor had turned to look him straight in the eye. Professor Pendleton was a kind man, but Satchel wasn't really used to dealing with kind people, so he wasn't sure of the protocol. Should he tell him immediately? Should they exchange some sort of pleasantries? If so, what were they? Did they shake hands? The question, however, drew him out of his confusion somewhat and he tried to focus.

"Hello, Professor Pendleton. I'm Satchel Howard, wait you know that, you said my name, I'm sorry." Quiet for a moment, he decided to start again, "I know you probably haven't had the best experience with Howards, I mean I don't think may people do, and I like your class, so I thought maybe I could ask you something?" He was almost there, "I'm not entirely sure what I want to ask you, except, Do you know about families? Or more specifically how to get out of one? Well, not get out, it's not like my family is cruel to me, they're actually very proud of me now that they know I'm a parseltongue" He hadn't said that word out loud yet and it felt odd, "but they're cruel to other people, sometimes, I think, and I don't really want to be, but I sometimes help them and I didn't realise how bad that was, but now I know and I don't want to." It all came out in a breath and Satchel found himself looking up at the professor expectantly, his child's eyes wide as, in his naivete, he waited for a solution to all of his problems

Satchel seemed a little nervous, stumbling over his words, so Monty smiled to assure him that he had nought to worry about. Well, nothing regarding approaching his professor, anyway. Monty could not say whether he had something to be concerned about in general. Judging by the boy's demeanour, though, he certainly seemed to be troubled.

Before Monty could ask, Satchel explained, his troubles and concerns pouring out of him in almost a single breath. He had been holding that in for some time, Monty thought, an overwhelming sense of sympathy rising within him. He could hardly relate to Satchel's troubles, but he did not need to have experienced the boy's predicament to feel sorry for him. He glanced around, and, seeing nobody within earshot, turned back to address the Gryffindor gently. "Well, first of all, I think it's very brave of you to speak to me about this." Monty did know of the Howards, though could say nothing of them. Family matters were a sensitive subject, and one to be trod around as carefully as possible, lest he do more harm than he did good. He sat down on one of the stone window ledges to think. "It is a difficult thing, no doubt, to remain true to yourself under intense pressure to conform. But you've a wise head on those shoulders, Satchel. I think you've already figured it out, haven't you?" He tilted his head. "You know who you want to be. And let me tell you now - no matter how anybody in life persuades you otherwise (and believe me, they will), nobody will ever be able to make you something you are not. It would be useless to try. And that is why it is imperative that we remain forever true to ourselves." He gave the Gryffindor a smile, hoping his words might bring him some sort of comfort. For he meant all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back