Sophie Elliston

artist | healer in training
OOC First Name
kaye
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Unyielding Willow Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Sophie couldn't help the sudden questions that appeared in her head after almost every charms class. She wasn't one to ask the professor questions and was rather quiet during class time. Keeping things to herself made her feel safe. However, even though Charms wasn't her best subject, Sophie liked it, and was hoping that if these questions could be answered then she might be able to do better in her studies. The girl couldn't help but feel a little nervous however as she found herself walking towards his office door. She had never spoken to this professor privately before and wondered if he knew anything of what Sophie had been going through. Sophie hoped not, as this might sway his answers, and if he didn't know she would feel a lot more comfortable talking to him. But it seemed that words spread like wildfire sometimes, and that was the main reason why Sophie felt her hands tremble beside her as she stopped in front of his door. She raised her left hand, knocking on the wood softly.

Misha liked the first semester, he taught one class and it was easy. Sixth years tended to be dedicated enough to their work that there was no more messing around, but also old enough that Misha could be less formal. He’d never done well with formal even when teaching the younger kids. He was just finishing off his plan for the next lesson when there was a knock on his door. If that were Lydia she’d have probably already walked in and it wasn’t like Styx would ever visit him. He waved his hand and the door opened, ”Come on in,” he said, moving a few things as he looked towards who was coming into the room. ”Oh, Sophie, come on in, what can I do for you?” he said. He didn’t know much about Sophie, she was a hard worker, perhaps not the best in the class, but she worked hard and he was sure she’d manage just fine in her NEWT. She seemed a little quiet, but he hadn’t been teaching her so long that he’d know whether or not that was normal.

The professor seemed a little shocked that Sophie had come to visit his office, but maybe she was just overthinking. He told her to come in and she took a tentative step inside, looking around at all of the objects in the room before finally looking at him. It was just like every other professor's office, and this admittedly made her feel a little more comfortable. She had never been there before, but it felt like she did. She took a couple of more steps towards him, taking a deep breath before speaking. "I just wanted to ask you... some things." she said, twiddling with her fingers in front of her as she spoke. Sophie was sure other students had been in her position before, most probably in the same office too, but she couldn't picture how it went in her head anymore. She didn't know how to begin. But she couldn't turn back now and so quickly asked the first and foremost question, her heart beating against her chest. "Do you think I'm a good witch?"

Misha wasn’t sure what she’d want to ask but he sat himself properly in his seat and then motioned for her to sit down with him. He gave her a little smile and said, ”Do you want like a tea or coffee?” he was sure he had some tea around here somewhere, though if this girl liked neither he couldn’t really help. He tilted his head a little at her words. That was a bit of a loaded question..did he think she was a good witch. Did she mean was she good at magic or a good person. He wasn’t quite sure which it would be. But he knew that his answer, regardless of it had to be positive. It did help that despite her quiet nature in the class he did think she was good at charms. ”Well, I can’t speak for you other lessons, but you’re good at charms, so I’d say that makes you a rather good witch,” he said, his words carefully picked. ”Personally I think that charms is the most important branch of magic and if you can master charms then you’re a good witch or wizard,” he then added trying to make a little joke. ”Can I ask whats brought this on?” Misha ventured. He hadn’t known Sophie long, he wasn’t sure of how she’d been before she got to his class so he just had to ask.

Sophie couldn't help but be a bit shy, especially considering she had never even spoken to this professor before after five whole years of being taught by him. She tentatively took a seat that the professor offered her, sitting on the edge of it, and shook her head to tea or coffee. Her shaking hands would most likely spill it anyway. The teen listened as he answered her, not taking her eyes off him as he spoke. He thought she was good at charms, and that really did make her feel a bit better about herself. As he followed it up with a question of his own, Sophie was quick to answer. "Nothing." she said simply, not wanting to go into details about her plans. "I just want to know so I can... do what I want to do in the future... since it's the most important branch of magic, like you said." Sophie made sure to keep her answer broad, and didn't hesitate to ask her next question. "Why does the disillusionment charm make me feel so uncomfortable? I like that one, but I don't like how it makes me feel." Sophie loved the idea of being invisible to people, and maybe if the professor gave her some advice on how to make her feel less uncomfortable when it was cast, she could use it wherever she went.

Misha thought she answered a bit quickly but didn’t want to highlight it, it was clear that there was something going on with this girl and he didn’t particularly want to get involved in it. So he listened as she went on to say that it was so she knew she could do what she wanted to do in the future. ”If you’re looking to join the experimental charms department at the ministry let me know, I’ve got some good connections there,” he said to her. But she moved on to her next question. Disillusionment made her uncomfortable. ”Now, when you say how it makes you feel, is it the feeling that happens when the spell is cast, like a egg being cracked on your head? Or how being invisible makes you feel?” he wasn’t sure which it was, if it was the first, there wasn’t anything that could be done, that was just how it felt. If it was the latter,t hat was an entirely different thing. ”Can you explain what about it makes you uncomfortable?”

Working in the experimental charms department wasn't exactly what Sophie wanted to do, but she nodded at the professor's words nonetheless, figuring it made sense that he knew some people from there. She wasn't sure how to answer his next question, despite realising how broad her own question could have been, and so thought about it for a moment as she processed his words. "Like, I want to be invisible. But whenever I try, it just doesn't feel right. And I mean, it could just be because of the feeling of an egg cracking on my head, but maybe it's also because I'm not doing it right. I don't know, I can't really explain." Sophie sighed as she looked at the floor beneath her. She wasn't very good at explaining anything. "But maybe it's also because no one really notices me anyway, so maybe that's why I think it's not working." Sophie just shrugged, not really sure why she would tell the professor this. It had just slipped out, but hopefully the professor would push it to the side.

Misha nodded as she explained how she felt, though it didn’t really make it much easier for Misha to understand what she meant. He had never really had someone say it didn’t feel right and for it to not just plainly be how it felt when the spell was cast. He didn’t know what to make of her last statement but he gave a little sigh, ”Okay,” he said, trying his best to put all the pieces he had in place. He decided perhaps he just needed to see her cast it. ”Okay, why don’t you cast the spell for me, do it on yourself and then tell me how it feels? If you can’t manage the spell, I could cast it and you could let me know how you feel?” he offered, perhaps this would provide greater insight both for him and a little for her too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back