OOC First Name
Soho
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Knotted 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Ivy Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Are we allowed to portray/create characters with disabilities?
So.. I’m thinking of making my new character blind, but i’m not sure if im allowed to create this character as it may come off as insensitive? Basically she’s like a toph beifong basically jokes a lot and is sarcastic about their blindness) type of character and i think it could make for some interesting plots...

also she’ll have a service dog :)

Solution
Hi Soho,

Thanks for asking!
Characters with disabilities are certainly allowed on the site - it's important to us that we have characters that explore a broad range of life experiences and in whom diverse members of our community can also see themselves.
With that said, we do ask those who desire to portray characters with disabilities to submit a plot request. This is largely to ensure that it's being thoughtfully done and will be presented in an appropriate and informed way, as well as that disability is an attribute of the character but not the whole point of them. (Which is in line with a lot of criticism of characters in contemporary television/media/film, who's whole personality is "I'm X race/sexuality/gender/experience" -...
Hi Soho,

Thanks for asking!
Characters with disabilities are certainly allowed on the site - it's important to us that we have characters that explore a broad range of life experiences and in whom diverse members of our community can also see themselves.
With that said, we do ask those who desire to portray characters with disabilities to submit a plot request. This is largely to ensure that it's being thoughtfully done and will be presented in an appropriate and informed way, as well as that disability is an attribute of the character but not the whole point of them. (Which is in line with a lot of criticism of characters in contemporary television/media/film, who's whole personality is "I'm X race/sexuality/gender/experience" - which is not character development or plot, it's simply an attribute.)

Solution
Hi! Thanks for info and stuff! I’ll make sure to keep those things in mind :claire:

Edit: does it go under special plots or abilities?

Just to add on to what Nick is saying, but if you intend for this character to be sorted in the upcoming sorting, we would ask that you wait until after the character has been sorted before you apply for it. This is to largely build on what Nick mentioned: "This is largely to ensure that it's being thoughtfully done and will be presented in an appropriate way, as well as that disability is an attribute of the character but not the whole point of them." It's something we ask for everyone hoping for a first year with a specific trait.

And it would be a general special plot application.

Thanks Emzies! I’ll do my best to make sure the character’s not innapropriately presented. I see a lot of people reading this so if you ever see me building this character wrongly, feel free to approach me.
Ps. Excited to rp with ya’ll :)

edit: typo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back