Adventuring...

Bruin tried the handle of the inner door and to his surprise felt the handle turn freely. The door gave a little and started opening away from Bruin, who inched it forward slowly, as a piercing creak escaped from its hinges. This door had not been opened in quite some time Bruin had a feeling or at least hadn't been oiled in recent memory. It seemed quite dark on the other side of the threshold and Bruin felt a cold, damp breeze brush over his face. Bruin pulled a flashlight out of his duffle bag with his left hand and clicked it on, revealing a narrow stone stairway leading even further downwards into the bowels of the castle.

The stone steps appeared to be somewhat slippery underfoot and Bruin cautioned the others. "Uhhhh, watch your step guys...the stairs seem a little slimy." Bruin took a couple tentative steps down, flashlight in his left hand and wand in his right.

"Lumos," Ford said and held his wand out infront of him, following Bruin down the stairs. He was right, the stairs were quite slimy and, as a result, were quite slippery. The air got mustier and mustier as they went downwards into the bowels of the castle. The only sound was their feet and the occasional bone-jarringly loud cough given by a student irritated by the musty air.

The stairs ended rather abruptly in what appeared to be some type of underground cavern. Their was an occasional dripping sound coming from somewhere far off to the right, perhaps water dripping into a pool of water or some type of underground stream. Bruin shone his flashlight around, but his beam wasn't able to penetrate the darkness and he couldn't make out walls or anything else solid in the distance. The hollow sound of their breathing seemed to give the indication that the area they were in was quite large, but he couldn't be sure.

"What do you think? Should we follow one of the walls around the perimeter or head straight across whatever this room or cavern is?"

Ford held his wand up, seeing not much more than Bruin's flashlight did. "I would like to explore whatever this water is coming from, possibly there's something there that would have clues as to the origin of this castle."

"Alright, why don't we follow the wall along to the right...it sounds like that's where the water is coming from?", Bruin suggested. "Do you think if we fired a spell off over that way..." Bruin said as he pointed with his flashlight across the cavern, "...that it might tell us how big this place is?"

"Possibly," Ford acknowledged stoically, "Nox." And his wand extinguished silently. He pointed it towards the all encompassing blackness before them, "Stupefy!" A red ball of light spat from the tip of his wand and flew at a very high velocity, just as his voice echoed through the cavern, revealing its immensity. Rolling through the air it disappeared into a darkness that seemed to consume the red orb of energy. A few seconds later a faint crash was heard, as it hit the opposite wall, Ford supposed.

He took a few steps forward into the gloom of the giant room. An oppressive cold took hold of him as he did so, and a feeling like there was something pushing him towards the center of the room grew in the back of his mind, "I don't think we should go through the center of the room," he said in a commanding voice, "We shall follow the outside of the room."

A brilliant light-blue badger erupted into the room and stood on it's hind legs, "George Weasley! You should not be in the school! I will allow it this one time, but from here on out, you should check in my office with me or send me an OWL if you intend to visit the castle." With a menacing snarl, the little badger sped off and disappeared. Bruin should recognize this creature as Alicia Barkers Patronus.

((Go ahead, join in! Just RP coming down, though...))

Sabriel had decided to go exploring on her own since she hadn't familiarized herself with the castle yet. She also wanted to get out of the common room since "Wet-blanket" Manteia was there. She didn't much feel like being in the same room as him at the moment.

Not knowing where to explore first, Sabriel decided to explore the dungeons since she was coming from the Slytherin common room. As she walked down one of the corridors, it began to get darker and darker as she went. Though she wasn't afraid of dark places, Sabriel decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to just wander around blindly. Pointing her wand in front of her she said, "Lumos!" The tip of her wand emitted a light, much brighter than she had expected after the darkness of the dungeon corridor.

The light shining in front of her revealed a door which seemed to have already been opened. As she approached the doorway, Sabriel pushed her wand into the room and it lit the entire room. Seeing that there was nothing but a table and a chest, she pushed her way into the room. So far this is quite unimpressive, she thought. Sabriel had imagined more mysterious tricks behind the castle doors. As she looked around the small room she saw another opened door. It seems someone else has been through this way recently, she thought.

When Sabriel had begun to descend the stairs she slipped, but caught herself against the wall. I definitely have to be more careful, she thought shocked that she almost fell down the stairs. Not realizing it, as she had caught herself, Sabriel dropped her wand which made the only light she had go out. Immediately realizing her mistake as her light source diminished, she quickly picked herself back up and started down the stairs again. She wasn't exactly sure how far her wand had fallen, so as she carefully descended, she shuffled her feet on the steps. Figuring that at least she would be able to knock her wand down to the bottom where it would be easier to find...she hoped.

After a couple of minutes of shuffling down the damp slimy stairs, she was almost to the bottom. As she moved closer, Sabriel could see a faint light ahead. This is a good sign. At least I’ll be able to find my wand, she thought. When she finally reached the bottom, she saw Kale, Bruin, and Ford there. “Well, hello boys,” she said slightly louder than she meant to.

Ford turned to see his fellow Slytherin Sabriel standing at the base of the stairs, her voice echoing indefinitely across the vast emptiness. "Welcome, Sabriel," he said emotionlessly, "Stay back, this room is not safe."

Kale had been quietly following the second year boys down the stairs and into the depths of the dugeons. The air was very thick and dusty, which resulted him to have occasional coughing fits. Kale nodded at Fords command that the room wasn't all that safe and staying in the outside would be the best.

All of a sudden he had heard footsteps approaching..expecting that it was 'Wet Blanket Manteia' he was ready to be scolded by him once again. Luckily, to his surprise it was Sabriel. "OH...Hi Sabriel! What were you doing down here all alone?" he asked in a concerned voice, but still happy to see her.

Looking towards Ford, "So, what would you like to do now then Ford?" he asked while looking towards the others. Wondering if this was the end of their exhibition.

Not safe?, she thought. This was not going to be good if Sabriel couldn't find her wand. "Could you guys come over here and help me find my wand?" she asked the others. "I slipped and almost fell down the stairs, but caught myself. Unfortunately I dropped my wand in the process and it rolled all of the wand down here." As she explained this, Sabriel got down on her hands and knees feeling around for her wand.

"We'll first look for Sabriel's wand," Ford said his back to the emptiness of the center of the room, "Then we'll circle around the edge of the room looking for something." Just then a cold air blew from behind him, and a soft feminine voice was carried from on the wind. Ford flipped around, his wand at ready... but there was nothing there.

Kale got on his hands and knees and felt around for Sabriels wand. Out of the blue Kale suddenly realized Ford turn around rather quickly, looking a bit not himself. "Ford...are you okay, man?" Looking at him a bit seriously, "Do you need to sit down a second?"

As Sabriel was crawling around her hand met with Kale's, and she looked up smiling at him. At the same time her left hand landed on something and she felt a warm sensation up her arm. She immediately knew that it was her wand and quickly scooped it up. "I found i...," she started to say and then saw Ford. Standing up she said, "Are you alright?"

"There's something out there," Ford said, "Something I don't like." He turned to the rest, "Everybody, keep your wands ready and stay close to the wall. Bruin, you take the front, while I take the rear." He walked to the others, and determined he needed explain his actions, "I heard a voice on the wind. Like someone singing, I didn't understand the words at all, though."

A sudden chill had come over Kale's body making the hairs on his arms rise, as Ford explained what he had heard. That can't be good...he thought. With that, he grabbed his wand out of his pocket ready for anything that may creep around a sudden corner. Grabbing ahold of Sabriel's hand, Kale nodded at Ford that he was ready to explore the rest of the space.

Though Sabriel was weary of her surroundings and what Ford had just explained to them, she was also very intrigued to find out what it could have been. Holding Kale's hand she held her wand out in front of her and waited for Bruin to make a move.

Ford stood behind the others, wand at ready, when it came again: the wind. He hear felt it blow over his face, it felt refreshing across it. Stronger, though, this time than the last. The voice came again, a young woman's voice, a soprano, singing in a foreign language. Beautiful, yet dangerous... It stirred something within Ford as he heard the words, none of which he understood, but he made out some: ard rí, fuil, and buaigh.

He peered into the dark, it seemed as though someone was trying to communicate with them. "Did anyone else hear that?" He said suspiciously.

"...Hear what..?" Kale shot Ford yet another confused look. A bit worried he whispered, "What did you hear, Ford?" he stood dead in his tracks, taken back abit.

"A voice..." Ford said distantly. It sounded as though the voice had been speaking to him, calling him....

He shook the feeling off, "Let's get moving. We need to find a way out of this room. Bruin, ready?" His face had returned to its usual dourness, and his voice its usual void of emotionlessness.

"I didn't hear anything," Sabriel said giving Ford a worried look. This was the second time that he had been acting strangly. First in the common room and now here. She hoped that it wasn't all in his head. Deciding not to give it another thought, she looked toward Bruin.

"A voice?", the dugeons were beginning to get more and more creepy the longer they stayed down there. At Fords command, he agreed that it would be a good idea to get out of there before it's too late.
"Okay...lets go." Still hand in hand with Sabriel, they headed deeper the other way in complete darkness, Kale was still unable to stop occasional cough fits from the dusty air.

((are we going back up the stairs or are we going the other way?))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back