Absence makes the heart grow fonder

"Pureblood? I don't actually know that, I had always considered myself as a half blood, considering that muggle borns were rather impossible to inherit this... ability." Fayt said. Since they were just adopted, Fayt and Gabrylle had never really known their blood status, but they didn't really care either way. They're not ones who were concerned with blood lines, that was just a strange way to classify someone. "And as I said, I don't think that I'll be able to put up with your cousin, that's really disturbing." He really didn't like that thought. For what he had heard and from what he had seen before, Isobel was not really that...likable. He's not one to judge people easily, but really, he just don't think that he'll be able to tolerate her, no, not at all.

Alice nodded as she listened. "Right. I still need to meet Gabrylle - your twin right? I haven't had the chance yet. Do you think you could arrange it?" She asked, feeling strange that she was asking this favour of Fayt. But, as she suddenly remembered, he said he owed her a favour, so this would be enough. From what she heard, Gabrylle was a very nice girl, but thats only from what she heard from Fayt. After all, she couldn't judge her until she knew her own opinion of the said girl. She laughed lightly at the response he gave, shrugging. "Yeh i know. But thats Isobel for you. What's she like in Slytherin?" She asked, wondering what Isobel acted like amongst people she viewed as 'worthy'. It would be good to hear it from someone who didn't really know her after all.

"You want to meet her? I haven't seen her around lately, but I guess that she'll be ecstatic to meet another person form here." Fayt said, shrugging. Knowing his twin, she would be really happy to meet a new person that she would be able to consider as a friend. Really, when she had first met Danielle, she had given her a nickname already, something that Fayt didn't really appreciate. His twin had thise strange habit of giving her friends some pet names, even he had one, and as much as he had told her to stop, she was just too stubborn to listen to him. That was probably a trait that they shared then, they were both too stubborn for their own good. "I haven't seen her that much, and after what you have just said, I doubt that I would want to see her..." Fayt had never been one to stay in their common room after all, he had always been out or if not, he was in their room. He had never been that friendly with the other Slytherins as well, so he hadn't really been able to talk to Alice's cousin.

Alice beamed at the thought of meeting another lively person. Having never been shy herself, Alice would also always jump at the opportunity to meet new people. After all, the worst that could happen is that they don't get along and she highly doubted that from what she had heard. Making a mental note to try and think of everything she already knew about the said girl, she carried on smiling into the corridor. Resting her head on her knees, she wondered what the passers by must thing of the pair sitting on the steps. "No. Im surprised that she has made some friends at all. But she has always been like that, she just blinds some people. Its almost like they think she wants to be their friends for the sake of being a friend. But she just wants to be friends with them to get something out of it." Alice sighed again, trying to wipe her mind clean of these thoughts. She shouldn't think so badly of her cousin, the only issue was that it was hard to see her in a positive light.

It was rather amusing to see Alice smile into the corridor, really, she looked out of it in Fayt's opinion, like she was just smiling into nothingness. "You look funny you know, crazy if I may say so..." He said before he could even stop himself. That was just him he guessed, he cannot help giving of some snide remarks at her, something that might irritate her further if he continued to do so. It was just too entertaining to see how her expressions and moods changes whenever he was around. "Maybe there was just a reason to why she was like that.." He said, saying something nice for the first time actually. It was just that, though he knew that Isobel, Alice's cousin was really irritating, he cannot help but to think that they might just be something that had happened to her for her to be the way that she was not.
OOCOut of Character:
jeez.. sorry, this is lame.. :r

(OOC: Only as lame as some of my posts :r )

Raising her eyebrows in response to his comment she smiled. "Um ok." She said awkwardly, unsure whether it was a compliment or a criticism. Shrugging, she continued to look out into the corridor, making sure that she didn't think about the question asked so she didn't get upset about it. Some of Fayt's comments were childish, but others cut deep. Putting this one in the first area, she just smiled to herself, hoping that she could continue this calmness about her. As Fayt's comment hit the truth, a thought went through Alice as to whether she should tell him exactly what had happened or not. But, she still didn't trust him that much and she guessed that he probably didn't trust her enough either. She had found out his big secret by mistake, not because he wanted her to know. Guessing that if she hadn't been scared by the snake, she wouldn't have found out. So therefore, could she trust him not to say anything to Isobel? As the thoughts went through her mind she shrugged again. "Maybe..." She sighed, leaving the answer open so as not to give anything away yet.

Fayt raised an eyebrow at Alice's reaction, or more so, lack of reaction after what it was that he had said, maybe it just didn't hit her, but actually, he had just insulted her by then. Nevertheless, he decided not to comment on it any further, after all, he was now in no mood to actually start another verbal argument with her. Alice's response to his next statement was what had caught him off guard, not that he was that surprise about it, but rather, he was curious as to why her answer was just that one simple word. If she had really disliked her cousin, then she would have said straight out that there would be no reason for her cousin to act like how she was acting now, but no, the word that she had chosen to said was that one simple word that Fayt didn't really like that much, it was just too much of a cliff hanger for him, like something was there that was left unsaid. But then again, it's not like he could just go around and ask her to further elaborate that answer could he? He would just be too unlike himself if he would do that.

Alice smiled at Fayt. She wondered what he was thinking. He was quiet and she didn't know whether that was a good thing or not. After all, something bad may be about to happen, or on the contrary - something good. Trying to stop herself thinking too deeply into what was going through his mind, she just looked out at the corridor. The time had passed quickly and thinking that she should soon go back to her common room, she waited incase any more had to be said before she returned. Nothing should go unsaid today, after all, the last time that that had happened she had been hunted down. Rubbing her arm unconsciously where it was red from his tight grasp, she tried to think about everything that had happened.

(OOC: Sorry, lame post extreme :jesse: :r )

Fayt wasn't exactly sure if he like that smile that was ever so often appearing in Alice's face, it was just that, whenever she would do that, he was quite unsure as to what it was that she was thinking, and there was also this annoying and unexplainable emotion that he would somehow feel, whatever it was, he was quite sure that he was not liking it at all. Frowning as he teared his eyes of her and fixed it unto the stairs where they were just sitting. They might have looked rather odd for sitting there, but he give no care at all. Sighing audibly, he turned, only to see her rubbing the spot at which he had grabbed her earlier. "Are you not busy or something?" He then asked out of the blue, remembering that since she was a ravenclaw, she might have been as studious as what the others were saying.

Alice turned back to face Fayt as she heard him sigh. Stopping rubbing her arm, she just shrugged. "No not really. I mean, exams are over, and other lessons haven't started yet - so there's no work to be done. Ive read all the books ive brought with me. I was just going to do some drawing." She said with another small smile, lifting up her bag as she said so. The question was random, but at least it was something. "If you don't want to talk about it, thats fine with me.... but i was just thinking about your..... gift." She started, wondering if he would be happy to talk about it with her. Alice, found that most of the time, she was afraid of things unknown and therefore, if she knew a little more about the whole 'thing' then it would lessen her fear of the unknown. But, then again, if Fayt didn't want to talk, then that was fine with her. It might be a way for him to say no, he didn't trust her. After all, he hadn't chosen to reveal his secret to her, she had found out by chance.

Fayt had had to smirk as Alice started to talk. Of course, it was typical of her to be able to read all the books that she had, after all, she IS a ravenclaw, and they were pretty much known for being studious and being rather intelligent. It would not be a surprise if she would get perfect marks in her exams too, that's just who she is it seemed. However, that smirk had been wiped off his face as he heard Alice talk about his gift. He wasn't quite sure if she was talking about his 'gift' of being a parselmouth, but he had a strong feeling that that was really it, even so, he wanted it to come straight from her, he wanted her to ask him directly about it and not use vague and ambiguous statements. "What do you mean?"

Alice watched as Fayt smirked at her and raised her eyebrows, trying to work out what he was thinking and why the irritating smirk had reappeared. Swallowing down the sharp comment to remind him that she didn't like it, she watched again as it disappeared. It went too quickly and she then started to panic that her question was too private. Perhaps he didn't want to talk about it after all. Sighing inwardly at the fact that she would have to wait and find out another time, Alice looked up again as he asked her for definition for her use of the word gift. "Well, um your ability." She mumbled, too afraid to use the word itself. Parselmouth The word itself was like a brand, one that Alice feared if she began to use, she would never forget it. Having to always think of someone like that would break her. Hurt her. She didn't like to brand people because she didn't like to be branded herself. It was as simple as that. But now, it didn't seem so simple.

Of course he was right then, Alice was indeed talking about him being able to understand parseltongue. It's quite understandable actually, for if he was in her shoes, then he would surely wonder about it as well, seeing that it was actually a very rare ability that not everyone had been blessed or cursed of. However, her use of the word gift was quite questionable for him for he had never really used that term to describe that ability of his, it was more of a curse really, for as far as he known, such thing was often associated with dark arts, and just people knowing that he was a parselmouth was enough for people o judge him, not that he mind it too much, but sometimes, it does bother him as well. "Being a parselmouth, that's what you mean, right?" He started in a flat tone. There's no use in him not talking about it, for Alice had already known that secret of his, and it might actually be better this way, for the least that he could do to avoid scaring her off again was just to answer her questions, so long as it wouldn't be too personal for him. "What do you want to know?'

Alice listened to his tone and his words and sighed. Nodding quickly, she began to wonder whether it was a good idea to ask further or not, it might ruin their friendship mutual agreement that they had come too. It was too much to call it a friendship. Yes, they knew a few secrets of each other, but that didn't make them friends. Making sure that she didn't use the word, she paused for a few minutes, trying to work out what to ask first. "Um, i don't want to ask too much, i was just curious." She began, pausing again before finishing the sentence. "When did you first discover the..... ability?" She asked, going through a mental checklist in her head as she tried to work out what might be private and what might be ok to ask.

Fayt paused for a moment to think about Alice's question. Being a parselmouth had just been always there it seemed. Like, it had always been a part of him, but when was it that he had really discovered that ability of his? Running a hand through his hair, he tried to work out the things that he would say, that way, it wouldn't be that confusing for her then. "I can't really recall everything that clearly.." He started flatly, though there was a tinge of uncertainty in his voice, something that was quite unusual for him. "It must be when I was six.. or seven perhaps.. before we Hannah and Vincent had adopted us." He continued, he figured that he need not to use the word mom and dad when talking about his adoptive parents out of their house, he had never gotten used to it after all those years that they had been together.

Disconcerted by Fayt's tone and use of words that didn't sound finished, Alice frowned slightly. Remembering suddenly that Fayt was adopted, she nodded, taking the information in. "Right, and well.... what is it like when you speak in Parseltongue?" She asked, suddenly fearing that he would start speaking in the strange language to work out an answer to her question. She didn't have any more questions for now, and therefore didn't continue talking, deciding to let him finish what he had to say. And awkward silence hung in the air as neither of them said anything, and Alice turned back to face Fayt and see if he could spark off any more conversation. It was his turn now.

(OOC: Sorry for the lame post :r )

"It's not that different, really.. I mean, it was just like you were just speaking normally." Fayt said in response to Alice's question. Usually, when she speak in parseltongue, he didn't even realize that he was doing such thing. After the last question from Alice, an awkward silence followed. It seemed like both of them had nothing to ask, or more so, both of them didn't know what to say anymore. "You're a muggle born, aren't you? What was it like?" He asked without meaning to offend her or anything. It was a known fact that not all wizards do accept muggle borns just like Alice, in fact, some of them do despise people like her, that's one thing that he cannot fully understand by then.
OOCOut of Character:
This one's lame as well... :r

Alice nodded, not really understanding the concept of it, but assuming that it was just like speaking another language fluently, it just flowed out. The silence fell between them both and Alice looked up sharply when Fayt posed the next question. Her eyes flashed momentarily, with an emotion that she didn't know she had had before. Unnerved by what it was, she frowned and looked back at the floor. "Well... i suppose because i didn't know what magic really was, i didn't know what i was missing out on. But learning everything, its amazing really. I can't really explain." She said, sighing as she did so and re-resting her chin on her knees. Looking out in the corridor, she tried to work out what to do next, it seemed that the silence was becoming awkward and Alice didn't want to say something just to fill the space up, that seemed pointless.

Fayt had decided to not respond to Alice's statement so as to not offend her even further. It must have been different to be in her situation, for unlike her, though they weren't really allowed to actually talk about magic, nor to actually touch their adoptive parents' wands, at least, they did know what was lying in front of them. They weren't really taken by so much surprise when they had gotten the letter. Once again, after that statement, an awkward silence filled the air, and though most of the times, he prefers everything to be quiet and all, this silence was unnerving him. Standing up, he tried to stretched his hands out as well as his feet which had somehow gotten numb from not moving too much. "There's nothing to do here..." He said under his breath, it was true though, for being confined inside the tower was rather boring as well as uneventful in his opinion, all he ever see were corridors, walls, and stairs, nothing else.

Alice noticed the silence rise up again like a curtain and she sat there, thinking and trying not to let it bother her. Tapping her fingers on her knees, she sighed a breath of relief as Fayt stood up. Standing up after him, she stretched her arms and picked up her bag. "I had better get back." She muttered, walking towards the entrance to the Ravenclaw tower. She wouldn't go up yet because she didn't want to reveal the entrance, but she hovered outside, waiting for something more to be said. "Um bye." She mumbled, feeling awkward again.

(OOC: Sorry, this is lame :r )

Much like their previous conversations, this recent encounter with Alice didn't seemed to go and end well, not that Fayt had expected that they would talk casually, in fact, he had rather expected that she wouldn't talk to him at all, which could have been the case only if he hadn't forced her to listen to him at all. Sighing to himself as she stood up and bid him farewell, Fayt cannot help but to shook his head. He cannot blame her if she would find their conversations to be tiring or much more, it was heading to no direction at all, after all, he was not helping in making their conversations work either. "Bye." He said shortly, nodding his head in understanding as he did so.

About to leave, Alice suddenly turned around, confused by the shaking of his head. She didn't particularly want to stay, but if he asked her, she could do nothing more. His short statement upset her slightly, wondering what he was thinking and why he was suddenly so blunt. "Ok then, bye." She stated plainly, stuck in the position that she needed him to leave before she could open up the tower to the common room. Standing awkwardly there, she didn't understand what to do. Shifting her weight from one leg to the other, she looked at him, plainly and wondering whether he would leave or what she needed to say or do to get him to go. Anything to relieve her from her current situation of feeling awkward.

When Alice stopped and looked at him, Fayt was actually a bit surprised. He had expected that she'll just proceed on her way without any other second thought. Deeming that it was unnecessary to say goodbye once more as he had already done that earlier, he just nodded his head, looking at her plainly before he casted his glance down and turned on his heels. He then started his way down the tower, this time, he was feeling a lot better, though, there was still this awkward feeling that he cannot really understand what. Just as he thought that he was out of Alice's ear shot as well as her line of vision, he turned around, not really expecting to see anyone there and muttered a small thanks, one that is barely audible to even be heard.

Watching the retreating figure was something that sparked up an unknown emotion in Alice. Looking around, she waited until he had gone, before turning around, opening the passage to the common room and entering it. As she did, she thought she heard something, but not acknowledging it, she just shook her head and carried on up the tower. Shaking the emotion off her, she took a deep breath, leaned against the wall of the tower, and entered the common room. There were a lot of people in the room, but Alice didn't see any of them, just smiled faintly and made her way to her room. Lying on her bed, she tried to clear her thoughts that now ran around her mind, unable to be processed sensibly.

Isobel. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel. Fayt. Isobel.

(OOC: For anyone reading this, the topic is continued here: http://hogwartsnewzealand.com/topic/7392093/1/#new - with Alice and Sophia Leingod.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back