Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Fayt Aurelious

OOC First Name
Raze
Wand
Ivy Wand 13" Essence of Gargoyle Tooth
Fayt was frustrated, really, it's been quite a while since he had last seen Alice, and their parting was not that good either. He had scared her, and though he didn't want to admit it, it bothered him. He's quite confused though, he had never really cared before, never cared for anyone aside from his twin, well, of course Danielle had been one of those that he cared for as well, but is Alice the same then?

Alice is someone that he can't quite understand. One moment, she's nice, then she'll become really annoyed and feisty at one second, she's rather blunt as well.. .She's a person that he can never be, she's a total foil of him, total opposites probably. .

Ever since the incidence in the lake, she never looked at him in the eye anymore, and when she does she looks more than nervous. She would just avoid him, and it bothers him. That night, after she had discovered that he was a parselmouth, as he lay in bed, he couldn't get his mind off her. He didn't understand why he cared so much. Alice was always annoying him, but he was so used to having her around that when she just suddenly disappeared, he couldn't get his mind of the absence.

So today, here he was, in the towers, looking for her, she's a ravenclaw, and so he figured that she'll be there, there can't be any other place where he could corner her and talk to her, he needed to sort things out, what ever it takes him to do so.

Alice walked up to the north tower, her bag full of books and sketch pads. A lot had changed recently, and she found her escape was to read and to draw. Reading provided a glimpse into someone else's life for so long. To face their struggles and to enjoy their victory. Drawing was the escape in the world to draw and see the nice things about the area. Alice would only draw things she liked and this provided her to see the best in life even though the rest of her time seemed clouded over.

So far, she had avoided meeting Nick, Isobel or Fayt. The 3 people she felt scared of. Finding the best way to do this was to not go outside by herself or never to go down to the dungeons until everything was resolved. And so far, this had worked. So, sticking to the towers and the busy floors of the school, she found that running away from what scared her was the best solution. As she walked, she found the familiar steps up to the north tower and climbed them, unaware that when she got up to the top, she would find the one person she dreaded meeting.

Opening the door, she noticed someone else was up there. However, this wasn't uncommon so it didn't bother her. Only when the light caught of the boy's golden curls was her attention drawn to the boy. It was Fayt. Swallowing down the lump that built up in her throat, she quietly turned around and made for the door, hoping and praying that he hadn't seen her.

The sun was setting by the time Fayt decided to go back to his common room. What did he care about Alice anyway. He was just about to turn around when he had remembered that he still had homework to do. Great, now he was forgetting things because of this girl.

Grumbling to himself, Fayt swing his bag in his shoulder, determined to just look again for the Alice some other times. He was just brought out of this thought when he heard the door to the tower open, not that it was unusual, after all, class might have just ended for the ravenclaws, great, just great, then he'll surely see her. Fayt strained his eyes to get a glimpse of the person's face and his eyes widened when he realized it was the elusive ravenclaw, Alice, and now, she was running away again.

His eyes hardened in determination, this time he wasn't going to let her get away. He walked quietly behind her and grabbed her arm, this time strengthening his grip. He groped for words to say as he tried to start off a conversation with her, honestly, he's not good with that, "Your acting different."

Alice jumped as her arm was gripped. She took a deep breath, trying to bide her time before she had to say something. Turning around slowly, she looked down at his hand on hers. Last time she had done this, he had released her. But this time, she had a bad feeling that he wouldn't. His hold was strong, and if it wasn't that her mind was full of confusion and fear, tears probably would have been provoked. Taking another deep breath, she looked at the floor, too nervous to meet his penetrating gaze.

"Why would you say that? And why do you care?" She asked, her tone plain as she attempted to cover up the fear in her voice. Inside, she was shaking with anger that he had provoked such a reaction, but also fear of what he would do. He looked determined. Her eyes darted all over the room, looking for an escape. A way to get out of his grip both on her arm and in her mind. She would never admit it, but her thoughts had been on him for the past week. She put it down to her instinct telling her to be aware, but inside she knew that it was actually because she feared him a lot.

"Why would you say that? And why do you care?"

When Fayt heard those words, he had seemed to be frozen into place, really, he had no words that he could possibly say to her, yet, he didn't loosen his grip, he knew that any second now, once he had shown her some weakness, she'll slip away from him again, and surely, it would once again take him days before he'll find her again. "I don't know honestly, but you've been bothering me for quite some time now, I can't think straight. I don't get what's wrong with me either, " He said, his voice sharp as he looked down into her, his eyes fixed unto hers. He could see all the lies written in there, she's afraid of him, and at the same time angry. Usually, he would just let go, yet, at this time, he won't. There's just too much in his mind right now, and besides, he won't let him get another night without any sleep because of this girl, he needed to settle everything straight. "And before you would even ask, I won't let you go.." He added, his tone firm, his face void of any emotion, but deep inside, he just wished that she'll listen to him, how he wish that she would just shut up and let him explain everything, really, it was a first for him, it was the first time that he would ask and ran after someone, and now that he realized it, it's actually hard.

Alice swallowed the lump in her throat and listened to his response. "Why have i been bothering you? I haven't seen or spoken to you since... well since the incident." She said, her voice quivering with panic as he refused to let her wrist go. He had her left wrist in his hand and using her right hand, she pulled her wand out of her pocket. "Let go." She said, her wand shaking as her hand did. She knew as she said the words that he wouldn't and sighed inwardly. Any sign of weakness and she would wriggle out of his grasp and run for it. Alice told herself. But, she wasn't a fast runner and probably wasn't strong enough to get out of his grasp. Sighing, she carried on looking at the floor, waiting for him to talk so she could get out. Get out and run away. Run away and hide. Hide and not come out. Not come out and be a coward. Be a coward and feel safe. Thats what she would do, get out and feel safe. The best place that she could go would be the Ravenclaw tower as he couldn't get in there. But it would take more time to exit the north tower and then climb all the way up to the Ravenclaw tower again. Inwardly kicking herself for not staying in the Ravenclaw tower, she sighed and turned to hear her fate.

Fayt had frowned when he heard Alice's response, really, he's getting more and more frustrated as the minutes passed by between them. "That's precisely the reason, you haven't talk to me, you're avoiding me, and that's what's bothering me." He said truthfully, not fully realizing the consequence of his words. It was the truth though, for even if he wouldn't admit it, every time he would walk along the halls, he could hear her voice in his ear. And he decided enough was enough. It was interfering with his ever so lenient life and god forbid, nothing ever interfered with his plans.

He had had to shake his head when the girl pulled out her wand from her pocket, really, she's not going to give up, will she? Sighing loudly, his free hand had made it's way to her wand, taking it away from her grasp, surely, he wouldn't allow her to commit any violence here, and from the looks of it, she can't do it as well. "I told you that I won't let go, didn't I?" He replied, his voice full of irritation now. Ever since the incidence between them in the lake, Fayt's days passed by slowly, and his thoughts were consumed by questions, and all he ever wanted right now was to get this girl out of his thoughts.

Alice stood there and frowned again. "Why is me ignoring you bothering you? We have only spoken, what is it?, twice?" She asked, her mind confused at the explanation given. It didn't make any sense. Why was this boy so annoyed with her for not talking to him and avoiding him. She wasn't prepared as her wand was taken away from her. Anger rising she held out her free hand. "Fine. Talk. I don't promise to listen, but just talk because it seems you need to. Give me my wand back. I won't use it. I promise. I just want it back." She said, the panic rising. She didn't own enough money to buy a new one if something happened to it and it was her wand. She felt protective over it and didn't want it ruined or lost. She had promised that she wouldn't use it and would stick to this.

Praying that Fayt would believe her, she hoped that he would give her her wand back. "And if you don't, i will scream and someone will come." She said, her voice more confident than she felt. If that didn't work, then she would kick him where it hurt and run. Truth be told, Alice could be dangerous in her own way if someone didn't let her have something she desperately wanted. However, she could also see it from Fayt's side. He didn't want to let go, because he knew that she would run. This was the truth and if he did let her go, she would leave and not come back again. Or at least until she had learnt some valuable hexes to use. Her thoughts had completely left the previous conversation behind, intent on getting out rather than listening to Fayt. As she had said, he could speak, but she wouldn't listen.

Fayt knew the truth in Alice's words, surely, they had just talked to each other twice, or probably, thrice if you would include that not so good meeting that they had before, but even so, it felt as though, something had had changed when she had suddenly started ignoring him. It's just that, it's not usual for her to do that, at least, that's what he thinks. And besides, though he continued to act indifferent and the like, deep inside, he was still a child, one who hates it when he didn't get anything that he need, or when things didn't go according to his plan. "I want to talk, and I want you to listen, what's the use of talking if you wouldn't even understand what I will say?" He said sharply, his eyes cold now.

Since Alice had promised that she won't use her wand if he returned it to her, he had agreed to do so, trusting her words, but if she did broke her promise, then he wouldn't know what he'll do, he hated it when someone lies to him after all.. "I don't care if you scream, and I don't care if someone comes here..." He remarked, fully aware about the possibility of what Alice had said, but even so, he wouldn't fell for it, he'll just think of a way to get out of trouble once someone did come to stop them, but for now, he would do what he want to do, and that is, to get Alice to listen to him properly.

Alice took her wand back without a hesitation and pushed it into her pocket, her heart beat returning to its normal pace as she smiled with relief about keeping it safe still for now. She didn't want to listen. She didn't even want to be there. She wanted to leave and at that moment, didn't care whether he wanted her to listen or not, she wouldn't. But, pretending to listen, she stood there, looking at the ground as fear gripped her again. Her thoughts wandered, not aware whether he was talking or not. She was thinking about Hogwarts so far and the magic that she had been able to conjure up with practise and skill.

Smiling as these thoughts took her senses away, she stood there, her arm starting to throb as his grip remained tight. Looking pointedly down at it, she planned to get him to let go and then run for it. Surely, if fear covered her enough, her body would produce enough adrenaline to keep her running until she was far away. Far away enough to scream and push Fayt away from her thoughts. Far away.

Fayt was getting more and more frustrated as minutes passed by between him and Alice. Really, though she was saying that he'll listen, he could see through her lies. No, she's just pretending that she'll give him a chance to talk, and actually, it annoyed him to no end. Never did he wished this badly to be heard, yet, it seemed like this person wouldn't even give him a chance? Never did he wished that he'll stop someone and try to have her attention on him, yet, all she'd ever do was reject him? Furrowing his eyebrows in irritation, he looked at her, unmoving, not saying anything, he just looked, he can't quite think of anything to make her listen. And it's really frustrating him. No, it can't be this way, can it? Being him, Fayt hated when things didn't go according to his plan.

Seeing Alice smile, Fayt had almost wanted to scream and yell at her, but he can't, no, he won't do that. He still had control over his emotions, and surely, he didn't want to appear overly emotional about this thing, even so, he didn't loosen his grasp on her. "Just tell me the truth, tell me that you want me out of you life and I'll do it..." He said, his voice void of any emotion and his face blank. He didn't care what it was that she'd answer him, he just wanted to get her out of his thoughts, he wanted everything to make sense, that's all.

Alice frowned in response to his frown. He wanted to know whether she wanted him out of her life. Well, in her opinion, he wasn't in her life, he was just an arrogant and overconfident boy that scared her a little. Why did he seem to think that he was in her life? Was this the whole reason that he had waited for her? To ask if she wanted him out of her life? If so, then why was this so important to him? What would happen if she said yes? What would he do? What would happen if the answer was no? What then? Why did he even ask?

As these questions swarmed Alice's mind she stood there, frozen to the spot, like her arms and legs had forgotten to move. Standing there, she tried to make sense of the problems that she faced. How would he react to her answer? What even was her answer? New questions came into her mind every few seconds, confusing her senses and making her panic. "Why would i want that? What makes you think that you are in my life?" She asked, her throat dry and her words coming out slightly cracked as she tried to get out the questions that puzzled her so much. Her brain whirring, she stood there, her arm throbbing as she tried to work out what to do.

"Why would i want that? What makes you think that you are in my life?"

Hearing those words from Alice had somehow caused a disturbing feeling for Fayt, for reasons that he cannot even figure out why. Why does he even care if Alice told him that she did want him to get away from her? Nothing will change, right? Why does he care if she ignored him forever, it's not that they were close in the first place after all, no, he himself cannot make sense of what it was that he was doing after all. Nevertheless, no matter how he tried to ignore that fact, there would always be this nagging feeling inside of him that tells him to go and talk to her, whether it was just to annoy her or to tease her, it doesn't make any sense, does it?

Just those words saying and asking for reasons why he had thought that he was a part of Alice's life had caused Fayt to loosen his grip a little, the girl wasn't making it any easier for him, and as minutes passed between them, he is not only getting frustrated, but rather, he was being pained as well, again, for reasons that he cannot comprehend. Everything doesn't make sense when he's around her, everything doesn't go according to what he wants, he wasn't the normal him when he's with her, and truth to be told, it was really frustrating him.

Alice stood there, her wrist throbbing as Fayt thought for a moment. She could see that her words had cut deep, and although he was stopping her from leaving, she felt a twinge of guilt pass through her. Sighing inwardly, she smiled to herself as she felt his grip loosen for a moment as he thought about what she had said. Seeing the moment and taking it, she grabbed her bag and held it on her shoulder with her free hand and at the same time, twisting her wrist out of his grasp. Before anything could be said, she turned and, taking a few precious seconds to open the door, started to go down the steps. Unaware of anything going on behind her, she paused half way down to check that everything was ok.

Fayt knew that at the instant that he had loosen his grip on her, Alice would run, and just as he thought, she did. Almost wanting to kick himself for being so careless, Fayt grabbed his bag and started his way down the steps of the tower, he wouldn't let her get away, not until he get what he wanted, not until he get her out of his thoughts, and definitely not until he convinced himself that she meant nothing to him. Seeing her almost halfway down, Fayt quickened his pace, he wasn't used to being ignored, for usually, he's the one who would do the ignoring, now he knew what the others might have felt when he had decided to push them away. He frowned in frustration. Just as he was near her once again, he pulled her back, cornering her and slamming her on the wall, both hands at either side of her head, he's not one to resort to any violence but he figured that nothing would come out with him just talking and holding her back. "You're starting to really get on my nerves." He said, his voice full of seriousness and his eyes rather cold, he knew that this might have made her more scared of him, but he cared no less, he needed her to stay and listen, not to walk away from him like he was some sort of a dangerous being.

Alice froze as she heard footsteps behind her, and feeling herself slammed against the wall, she brought up her hands protectively. Looking around them, she lowered them and her right hand flashed to her wand pocket. However, remembering what she had said and that she didn't want her wand lost, she regretfully removed it, sighing. Being small for her age, Alice felt intimidated by Fayt's size and position leaning over her. Cowering away, she remembered the threat to scream and breathed a few deep breaths to prepare herself if she needed to. Her temper was hot now as the injustice of it all came upon her. "Im getting on your nerves!" She exclaimed, her tone incredulous. "Thats rich coming from you. Coming here to find me and then talk to me against my will. Just say what you want and then go, then i won't get on your nerves." She said, her tone calming down now and her voice quieting with fear as she saw a look of coldness in his eyes. One that made her want to run and hide. But she couldn't do that. Turning her head to the floor, she waited to see what he had to say.

Fayt noticed that his actions had just resulted to Alice being much scared of him, yet, he didn't care. He wanted to tell her everything that he needed to say, and after that, she'll be free to do whatever it was that she would want to do. She'd be nothing in his life once more, and he'd be but a tiny annoyance to hers. Though it didn't sounded quite right for him, he didn't mind it. He saw her reached out for her wand but retracted her hand as quickly as she did, Fayt was actually quite happy that she had lived up to what she had promised to him, but didn't erased the fact that he was still annoyed at her. "How will I day what I wanted to say if you're not even willing to listen?!" He said, his voice quite louder that he meant it to be, he didn't bother to reduce his voice into a whisper though, he didn't mind whether anyone would see what it was that he was doing to her now, it might look like he was bullying her, but even so, he just wanted to get what he wanted, and that was, for her to at least listen to what it was that he'd say.

Alice stood there and decided to back up her ground. Why should she be reduced to fear because of this arrogant boy who seemed to want to tell her something. She didn't care about him, he was just another person. In her opinion, he was annoying her beyond belief and she was having to put up with him. All because he had decided to mock her. And now, he said that he couldn't stop thinking about her, why was this??? What had she done?? So yes, she knew that she was quite pretty, and that boys told her that her company wasn't bad, but why had she attracted the attention of this scary, mean boy? Confused, Alice sighed. "Well, just tell me then if it will bother you so much." She said, turning her full attention to him for the first time now. Every other minute of the time that they had spent together, she had been trying to find a way out, but now, a resigned and fed-up part of her told her to give up and hear him out so that she could go. Fear was still evident in her eyes as he towered over her, but she calmed her voice so it wasn't shaking like before. It was still a whisper, but there was a strength showing through that hadn't been audible before.

Fayt sighed as he saw Alice finally give up from escaping him, finally, she was showing signs that she's willing to listen, that is, if she was really listening, not just hearing what was it that he was about to say. "I thought everything would just be the same? You told me that you'll treat me the same that you did before? And yet, you're doing the otherwise..are you just lying when you said that?" He said clearly seeing the fear written all over her face, yet, there was something about her voice that tells him that behind that fear lies a strength and courage to talk back to him. He actually missed that Alice that he once knew before, though he wouldn't exactly say it out loud. He made no move to removed himself from cornering Alice in the wall, cause he knew that any moment that he did, Alice wouldn't spare any second to run away from him again.

Alice smirked at Fayt's question. With every passing second, she felt a strength growing deep inside of her. Something that told her to stand up to him. To be the person she used to be. However, her fear overtook her again. Hoping that one day, she would find the strength to talk to him like before, she smiled weakly and attemtped to answer the half-heard question. "Really? So, how have i been 'treating you differently'?" She asked, her tone confident as she tried to think about how Fayt would have known that she was avoiding him. Avoiding him as much as she was avoiding Isobel.

"You're... avoiding me." Fayt said honestly, face remaining impassive and blank though deep inside, there was this nagging feeling of being hurt. He didn't know what it was though, and he decided not to focus on that thought. He didn't even know why he was being bothered about her ignoring him, he's used to it isn't it? It's always been his twin that had always been complimented and loved by everyone, yet he didn't care, so why care now? Why care when he was being ignored? The only person that he had wanted attention from was his sister right? No one else, yet, why was it that this girl was making him think about her then? What was it that she had done for him to act such way.

Alice felt like laughing, but the way that it was said suggested that a deeper feeling ran through. So, shrugging, she sighed. "Is it surprising if when we do meet, you treat me like this?" She asked, signalling with a vague hand movement to the crowded in space that surrounded her. She sighed again and shook her head, feeling a headache come on. Wondering if the school nurses had anything for it that would help, she sighed inwardly. Fayt seemed to be making her thoughts go haywire now and she didn't know the reason for this. What has she done to get his attention so that he had noticed that she was avoiding him? What has she done?

Fayt was a bit taken back by Alice' question,and his thoughts were consumed by it. Of course, why did he even asked? Why did he even wondered if she was avoiding him, she had all her reasons to do that. After all, he had always been harsh and cold to her but that was simply his nature. But even so, didn't she understand that? A part of him had hoped that she wasn't like the others, but he figured that he was wrong, for just like those that he had met before, she had judged him, thought badly of him, and is now avoiding him. It wouldn't have hurt so much before, but why was it too hard to accept it now? "It's not..." He said honestly, though he felt rather stupid for saying that. Of course, now that he had actually thought about it, why did he even had to miss her presence, she's nothing but a toy for him, right? Nothing more, nothing less.

Alice sighed at the given answer. It seemed that the fiery anger inside of Fayt was slowly dying and she felt bad but relieved. "Look, im sorry. But its just not me. As ive said, im a nobody really, im afraid of things, i can't do sport and i struggled to take it all in. So im sorry, but thats just not me. Isobel was always the one to walk towards the supposed danger, but the mention of it scared me away. It all took me by surprise and i didn't know what to make of it. Thats why you could say that i have been avoiding you." She said, the fear gone now that the anger was going, or so she thought. She smiled weakly, and closed her eyes for a second, taking a deep breath and trying to focus her thoughts. She had judged Fayt, and that was wrong, she knew that. But what else could she do now? Unsure of what to make of her new thoughts, she turned her head away, looking down at the ground and scuffing her foot along the floor, trying to work out what else there was to say.

Fayt had heard the same speech before, those were the exact same thing that she had told him before she left him by the lakefront. But why was it that she had thought that he was dangerous then? Of course, he was a parselmouth, but that had nothing to do with it, right? He's cold and cruel, but he wouldn't lay a finger on her, at least, that's what he thought. "Are you afraid? Do you think that I'll hurt you?" He asked, his face blank of any emotions, though deep inside, he was actually dreading for her answer. "I won't bother you again." He then added as he removed himself away from her, sitting down on the steps of the stairs. He knew that he had just let go, that he had just given her the chance to escape from him, but he also knew that he cannot really forced himself further in her life, she's nothing to him, and he's definitely a nobody for her. They were perfect strangers no matter how much they had talked already it seemed. He knows nothing about her, and she knows nothing about him either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back