Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Alice listened to his question and weighed up her answer as he sat down. Realising that she was free, she smiled but sighed at the same time. If she could go back to one time in history, it would be when she had had a similar conversation with Isobel. They had gone off in a strop with each other, and as far as Alice could see, it was there that had broken their friendship, that specific moment where they had gone from being tolerating cousins, to hating enemies. With another inward sigh, she managed to stop herself from running and slowly peeled herself away from the wall. Walking over to where he was, she sat down on the stone steps next to Fayt. "No. I was afraid, but i judged. So... no, i hope im not afraid." She said, her eyes plain with the truth that she spoke. At first, she had been confident yes, but she could only hope that she wasn't afraid of him, because at that moment, she knew that she wasn't. But only time could tell how long that could last. "Won't bother me again? Does that mean we won't see each other again or just not bother me again. Because i need some educated company from time to time." She said with a new smile now. It wasn't weak, but it was her normal smile, the same one that had appeared so regularly upon their second and the start of their third meeting. Hoping that what she had said, and the truth that she had spoken, would be enough to convince him, she smiled again.

Fayt was actually quite surprised that Alice had not run away like what he had expected her to do, but rather, she stayed, sitting down right next to him. He does wonder if it was just an act though, for though she had said that she was hoping that she wouldn't be afraid of him, he could still see some glint of fear in her eyes, it was barely visible unlike before, but it was still there, unmoving, though it seemed that she was trying with all her might to conjure up that courage to even talk to him. He decided to at least believe her, right at that moment, he wanted to believe, though the better part of him was telling him not to trust her, that she'll betray him sometime soon, of course, as it seemed, of course, she's afraid of him, she fears what he can do. "I won't appear in front of you, that's what you want right?" He said, ignoring the last part of her statement. She had wanted so much to run away from him earlier that he doubt that she would ever want to actually talk to him after this encounter.

Alice sighed, seeing that she was getting no where. Guessing that he was judging her reaction-to-come from her previous one, she couldn't help but sympathise with him. Hearing his statement, she sighed for a second, before finding the right words to use. "No. And anyway, I would rather you appear in front of me than back-stab me." She said, trying to explain the way she felt. She didn't want him to leave her alone completely, because some part of her when she thought of the idea, screamed in protest. Thinking that it was just Alice's hatred of people hating her, she smiled again but then stopped, not wanting to be smiling at the inappropriate times. She looked down and wondered what she was doing. It seemed that he had already made his mind up about leaving her alone and she felt that she couldn't do anything to change this. So then, why was she just sitting there still? Why wasn't she running? Why was she planning on getting herself hurt by staying? Unsure of the answers behind these questions, she looked at the floor, trying to calm her thoughts so she could think rationally for once.

"As if I'll do that.. I have better ways to spend my time than to back-stab you." Fayt said casually, his voice taking its normal tone without him even noticing it. Really, why would he back stabbed her? It's not his nature to do such thing, for if he had something to say to a person, he'll say it straight out on that person's face, and not talk behind that person's back. That's cowardice for him. "Well, we do have the share some classes though, so, whether you like it or not, you'll still see me anyways." It's true though, he had met a lot of students because of the mixing of houses during class hours, but those faces were nothing worth to remember about anyways. "You're not running?" He asked, quite surprised that she wasn't moving away from her spot. He was really too weird for him, he can't quite get her actions. When they first met, she was just a real annoyance in his life, though it seemed that as they talked, he had grown rather used to her presence, she can be weak yet strong at times, kind yet cold as well....

Alice relaxed slightly, pleased with the answer given. As she had stated before, if Fayt was nothing more or less, he was good, educated company. And for that reason alone, she would tolerate his ability. Shrugging at the comment on classes, she frowned slightly, trying to work out how she would have continued to ignore him, especially since they shared classes together. Shaking her head to clear the thought away as unwanted clutter, she tried to think of a worthy answer to his new question. "You obviously haven't seen me run. Its is a shame to the word and the sport of it all. Why? Do you want me to run?" She asked, wondering still why she was there as much as he was probably wondering. Knowing that she must have confused him a lot, one minute being cold and fearful, and the next, trying to be friendly and warm. But, she knew the reason. She didn't want him to think badly of her, but at the same time, the coldness and fear was mostly the true emotions that she was feeling.

Fayt felt that Alice had already relaxed a bit, seeing that her voice wasn't quivering anymore, yet, he did know too that that was only short lived. It was really obvious that she was just trying her best for him not to judge her badly, for him not to think that she's something like the others too. He did appreciate the effort though, he was still unsure about her. "Never mind, I bet me walking is faster than you running after all." He commented, of course, why did he even asked? If she was a good runner then he couldn't have stopped her earlier. Then she could have gotten away much easier from him. "Why are you still here anyway?" He added, quite curious why she was still holding her place there, when in fact, she was now free to do whatever it was that she wanted.

(OOC: Im confused.... was that in parseltongue or in english??? :erm: Sorry to act stupid though :jesse: )

Alice nodded and laughed softly, her laughter filling the space that they were in, even though it was soft. From her perspective, it broke the awkwardness slightly, but she didn't want to push it too far and cross the line. If anything, Alice felt cautious around Fayt, not wanting to make him angry incase he turned on her. With a small sigh, she tried to think of a reasonable answer. "To be honest, i can't say. But i don't want to judge you even though i guess i did. So, i wanted to change my opinion of you. Because everyone deserves that, no matter how hard it is, everyone deserves to be known before they are judged." She said with a shrug, hoping that the words she had said would make sense to Fayt, even if they didn't come out in the way that she meant them. "But as i asked before, do you want me to leave?" She asked, wondering why he hadn't answered her before.

Fayt raised an eyebrow when Alice started to laugh, he can't see anything that is really funny after all, well, except for his last statement probably, but even so, it's not like he had wanted to come it off as a joke, he was real serious about it too. "What's so funny.." He muttered under his breath, turning a little to get a better view of her, to actually try to see whether she was being sincere or not. A part of him had wanted to believe that she really did want to change her opinion about him, actually, that part of him was also telling him to trust her now, yet, that part of him was something that he had always ignored before, and he can't see any reason to listen to it by now. "I just hope that you won't regret that." Fayt knew that no matter how much he tried, people were still bound to judge him, and truth to be told, he had learned to get used to it, that's why it was such a wonder why he had cared so much about Alice's opinion on him. "If I say that I don't, will you stay then?"

Alice shrugged and stopped laughing, not wanting to ruin the mood. Sighing inwardly, she wondered what he was talking about for a second, before her brain clicked into gear. "Well if i do, thats my problem." She said with another shrug. Inwardly, she knew that she would probably be hurt once again, because of the nature of Fayt's personality. He was quite cold and seemed too distant to really care about Alice's feelings. Well anyway, that was what she thought, but things could be very different. Pondering on his question for a second, she tilted her head to the side slightly, she tried to think. It had happened before, this had but this time she wanted to know what he actually wanted to know. "That would depend on how you said it, if you did." She said, wondering if it made sense. Hopefully, this time, there wouldn't be any more unpleasant secrets to discover about him, like he was a deatheater. So, depending on what happened, she couldn't be sure how long she would stay. If he asked.

"It is.." Fayt said with a shrug, knowing all too well that she had her point, if she did regret that she had chosen to stay there with him and to change her opinion about him, then he could care no less right? It was her choice, and it so, she cannot blame anyone else if her choice had gone wrong. He wondered what she was thinking though, was she giving him the chance for her to know him more? Or was she merely staying there because she was afraid of what he might do to her? Either way, it doesn't matter now. "It's your choice, leave if you want to leave, stay if you want to stay". Fayt knew that this had happened before already, and just like before, he didn't give her any straight answer.

Alice nodded and sighed. "Well if it was my choice, why ask???" She pondered, wondering why Fayt wouldn't give her a plain answer. Was he too proud? Was he too above everyone else to ask a normal question like a normal person? Sighing, she rolled her eyes to herself, wondering why she had become friends acquaintances with such a boy. What was it about her that provoked him into being cold and hidden? This was de-ja-vu and she was beginning to get fed up with it. If he didn't ask her to stay, or even hinted at it, then she would probably just leave, not wanting to stick around with someone who couldn't give her a straight answer. Putting this behind her, she turned the conversation to a more pleasant note. "What are you doing for the holidays?" She asked, realising with amazement that it was just around the corner. The next week in fact. Alice still didn't know what she would do, whether she would go home to England, go to a friends, or stay at school. The latter was probably the most predictable answer, but she would still wait and see before she finalised her plans.

"Holidays?" Fayt asked, as if confirming whether what he had heard was actually right, of course, it seemed to him that Alice was just trying to make their conversation a little lighter, or more so, she was trying to actually start a real conversion with him, which would hopefully turn out to be good then. "Stay here, probably, Gabrylle was here anyways, so there was no real reason for me to get out of this school." He said flatly, of course, their adaptive parents would surely love it if they would spend their Christmas with them, and he knew that Gabrylle would surely love that too, after all, after they had been adapted a few year back, Christmas had always been rather fun in his opinion, they would always open their gifts during midnight, share stories as they ate their Christmas dinner, and of course, give their gifts to each other, he knew how much his sister treasure such an occasion, and just seeing her happy makes him a little happy too, but now, he didn't know whether they would actually go back or they would just stay here at their school then. "What are you doing for holidays?" He then asked, throwing the question back at her.

Alice smiled and nodded. "Cool. Im probably staying here as well. I mean, some people offered for me to go home with them, but i don't really know them that well. My family are all back in the UK so i don't want to travel too far and then have to turn straight back around again. So i guess i will stay here." She said with a shrug and a smile. It would be fun, spending Christmas with friends. But inside, Alice would miss seeing her family and she still hadn't worked out how she would send them her presents yet. Hoping that she would still be able to speak to them, she tried to think of the best solution. Not knowing who else would be staying, Alice hoped that someone from her dorm would also stay and she wouldn't have to wake up on her own in the morning. That was no fun. But then again, some students would stay still and she would get the opportunity to chat to new people. There had to be some good points about staying here right?

"I see." Fayt said shortly, deeming it unnecessary to actually ask more questions about how she would spend her holiday, surely, unlike him, she had friends that she'll be able to celebrate with, and there's also that George guy, though he hadn't been told what her relationship was with the said student, Fayt already had the idea of what, and honestly, he didn't really like it. "What do you want for Christmas?" He then asked unconsciously without meaning to. He had been thinking for a while about the gift that he could give to his twin, just last Christmas, he had given her a dog plushie, one that she was treasuring until now, he never knew why but his twin seemed to like animals, speaking of which, Alice seemed to like them as well, seeing that the last time that they had been together when they were still out of school, she was looking at the owls that were being sold at one of the shops there.

Alice raised her eyebrows at the question. She hadn't been expecting him to ask. "I don't really know. I mean, my parents will send me the usual things.... useful items such as new stationary etc.... but other than that i don't know. My old friends at my old school, we use to just send each other small things like candy and sweets or something related to a private joke between us. But i really don't know. Im not expecting anything, because i don't know anyone well enough to know whether they would send something. So i guess i will just wait and see. In fact, isn't there a week coming up where we can go out of school? I saw a candy shop in town and it seemed to sell nice things. Perhaps i could get something there." She finished, talking to herself towards the end more than Fayt. Shaking herself out of the selfish mood she smiled. "And yourself?" She enquired, her tone back to normal instead of the 'airy-fairy' tone that it had drifted into.

Fayt listened as Alice started to talk, stationaries, something that was rather normal to give it seemed, but he doubt that his sister would have any use of it at the moment, but when he heard about the week when they were supposed to be allowed to go out of the castle, Fayt was kind of surprised, really, he hadn't heard of that at all, or maybe, it was because he wasn't really listening to any announcement by then. "We're allowed to go out?" He asked, as if confirming everything, if that was the case, then he would have the time to actually find something to give his sister, that is, if he had figured out what it would be. "Me? I don't know, anything I guess." He answered when asked what it was that he had wanted to received, during the past Christmas, the only persons that he had received gifts from was his sister and their adoptive parents and that had always been enough for him, this year however, he didn't know whether things would change or not. "Have you got that owl that you were looking at last time?" He then inquired casually, as if forgetting already what it was that had happened between them earlier, he seemed to be more relax now and he wasn't even quite sure why.

(OOC: Parseltongue again??? :p )

Alice smiled and nodded. "Yeh, there was a message in our common room. The other day it went up. But perhaps the other houses don't have noticeboards. By the way, what is it like being in Slytherin?" She asked, giving another topic to talk about in case the current one ran out. She had always wondered that - what it was like in the other houses. Were their common rooms similar? Did they have the same sort of friendly spirit towards each other? She had a guess, but the answer hadn't been given yet and it made her want to try and ask around, to get a general idea of all the houses. Not just Ravenclaw. "Right. Oh, the owl. No, i haven't. I need to get a job really. I mean, i don't have the money right now and i don't want to ask my parents. So, no, i haven't got it." Another small sigh escaped her lips and she suddenly wondered why he cared. Why had he asked? And more importantly, why was she telling him about the issue she had with money at the moment?

OOCOut of Character:
Haha..sorry, I guess I have to look at my post more carefully now.. :p haha

Fayt felt rather stupid for even asking the said question, "There was a noticeboard, I juts didn't look at it." Fayt said, frowning. He really didn't pay any attention to anything that was written on that board in their common room, in fact, no one does. Now, he had resolved that id ever he wanted to know something, he'll have to consult that board first. "Being a Slytherin? I don't know what's the difference with the other houses. Our common room was pretty dark, it has a rather low ceiling. And as it was located in the dungeon, you can already guess what it looks like." He said casually, he didn't have any idea whether their house was different from the others, after all, he had never been to the other three." If you're going to ask about the relationship among us, don't ask, I'm not sure about that, not all of them talk a lot alright?" Fayt had an idea already that Alice was wondering how the slytherins act when they were together in the common room, but really, he give no care about that at all. "What is it like being a ravenclaw?"

Fayt raised an eyebrow when Alice started to talk about getting a job, he just think that she was just too young to get something like that. "A job? You're under aged, I doubt that you'll ever get one, except maybe being an assistant in some of the shops, but that one was pretty hard as well." He didn't know what it was like to have an issue with money, their adoptive parents were kind enough to give them everything that they needed without them asking them about it. Fayt didn't know what to say then, it's not like he could offer to lend her what she needed right? That was just not him, and besides, he doubt that she'll accept it anyway. "But you're planning to buy that, aren't you?" He had remembered how happy she was when they saw that owl one day, and he would never forget that favor that he owed her and his promise to return that one day.

Listening carefully, Alice took in all the given information. "Wow. Being a Ravenclaw.... let me think. Well, its kind of being like a big family. Our common room is kind of like how i imagine the rest to be. I mean, friendly, constant fire going, comfy armchairs etc... Before the exams, you see people doing work and stuff around the area, but everyone likes to chat sometime. Basically, i've made lodes of friends with the older years and they seem to want to talk to us all, even though we are all younger than them. Its just nice i guess." She added with a smile, thinking of the great people she had met. It was true yes, being around clever people had its individual pressure, but they were all really nice, unlike some other people that Alice had met.

Sighing as he mentioned the truth about the job situation. "I know sadly. But there were some shops around that seemed to have hired people only a little older than me. So, i guess if it comes to it, then i could have a chance...." She started, preaching to herself more now to convince her rather than to tell Fayt. "Well, i really want the owl, but if i don't have enough money to get it then i suppose i will just have to forget about it. It was lovely, but there's no point getting my hopes up about something i can't have." Alice reasoned, feeling sad that she couldn't get the owl now. But hopefully one day, she would be able to get it.... right???

A typical place for a Ravenclaw it seemed. Looks like every house in the school was created so it would suit the ones that would be living there. And if his guess would be correct, he;s quite sure that the Ravenclaw Common room would be full of books as well, just a normal thing for so studious people such as them it seemed. "Totally different from ours... Being a slytherin... it's indescribable it seems.." Fayt said, frowning. Maybe it was just him, but sometimes, he cannot really understand how the others view his house, it seemed like there was a cliche perspective about them, that once a slytherin, that person should be mean, when, in his opinion, it was not always like that. He might not met a lot of Slytherins as they seemed like a not so talkative bunch of people, but really, they might be rather arrogant, but it's not like all of them were as mean as everyone thinks. "Your cousin's a Slytherin, am I right?"

"Suit yourself." He had this thought that once Alice had said something, she'll do it no matter what, and so, he decided not to push the topic any further, besides, she did have a point, there really was some students who were working for some additional income by then. "You'll get that owl one day I suppose." Fayt said casually, as what he had said before, he's going to return her favor, and as weird as it might have sounded, he had actually done that by inquiring about the said owl from the shop. He was thinking of giving that to her then, but it would pretty much be different from what she had viewed them, really, just thinking about him giving a gift about someone makes him feel weirded out. That's the reason why he was still debating with himself whether he should pursue that plan then.

(OOC: Sorry for the lame post - writer's block :( )

Alice nodded again. "Yes she is. Isobel Hills. You probably know her." She stated, her tone slightly icy and cold as she mentioned the girl whom she disliked strongly. Thinking about disliking people, she realised that the more time she spent with Fayt, the nicer he seemed. You just had to get over the initial fear at first, and then it was fine. He was actually being nice - a surprise to Alice who had conjured up a memory of a monster in her mind over the time that she hadn't seen him in. This just proved that she needed to spend more time around people before she let her creative thoughts jump to a conclusion of them. "I hope so. Even if im leaving school when i get it, i want it. It was just so lovely." She said with another smile, thinking of the owl momentarily before turning her attention back to Fayt. The thought about why he was asking hadn't even crossed her mind, so, sitting there, she just thought about the owl and waited for more conversation to flow.

OOCOut of Character:
It's fine.. no worries. :p

"I don't... Just heard of her from you." Fayt said, yawning. He did noticed how Alice's tone and expression changes whenever the topic about her cousin was brought up. It actually made him remember about the conversation that he had happened to see and hear just a few weeks ago. Makes sense why she had seemed to despise her that much. "You don't like her that much.. that's pretty obvious." He then added, shrugging. He might have sounded a little strange by now, and he knew that Alice might be thinking how he was acting rather differently. But it was just who he is, he's cold and detached to everyone else, but once he had gotten to know someone, he wouldn't be as emotionless as he was before. No one did knew that side of him, only his adoptive parents and his twin were actually the ones who had said that he was a nice kid, something that was unbelievable in others opinion. But he didn't care anyways, he was used to being judged, and that was just it. "I don't think that it really cost that much anyways.. just a few galleons." Fayt was not really that fond of any animals, but being around his twin for so long, he had learned not to mind them that much. It was kind of strange actually, why Alice had not fired off some of her questions by now. But now that he had actually think about it, it was lucky for him, at least he need not to explain why he was asking so much questions about the owl.

"Oh, i didn't know i had mentioned her." She said, confused at how Fayt knew this. But, then again, it wasn't a secret that they were cousins so it wasn't surprising that Fayt knew. "No, we fell out when we were younger and never made it up. She doesn't like me either and will make no effort to." Alice added with a resigning sigh. Isobel wouldn't even try to be nice to Alice, that had been clear since they had first been together. No, Isobel thought Alice below her and Alice didn't tolerate that, so there was no way they would get on. "For your sake, make sure that she doesn't find out about you being a parseltongue, she wouldn't ever leave you alone. Especially since you're a Slytherin as well. You must be the perfect boy in her opinion." Alice said with a laugh, thinking of the idea of Isobel following Fayt around, trying to impress him and get on his good side. They might be fine for a day or so, but she knew that Fayt would probably get fed up with Isobel and her tiresome meanness. It was enough to put anyone off. "When i checked it was a little more than that, but i will have to save for school supplies anyway." She finished, suddenly wondering why the topic was going on so long.

"You did..." Fayt said, though now that she had actually said it, he wasn't sure if she had indeed told him about that, maybe his memory had been pretty messed up, maybe he just heard that they were cousins when he had heard the talk that they had before, if that was indeed the case, then really, he had made a huge mistake. Hopefully though, she wouldn't remember anything then. "I don't think that I'll ever say something about me being a parselmouth, do you think that after seeing your reaction after knowing that, I would appreciate another person to discover that ability of mine?" He stated albeit a little sarcastically. He was getting back to that habit of his to annoy her it seems. "That was a pretty disturbing thought." He added, frowning now, he really didn't like the idea of having Alice's cousin following him around, it was just too annoying in his opinion. He might just blew up in front of her, and being as short tempered as he was when it comes to those things, he figured that he'll get tired of her rather quickly. "....Suit yourself." He decided not to talk about the topic about the owl anymore, for he might just slip up in the end then.

Alice sighed at the sudden change of Fayt. He was back to normal, something that Alice didn't mind as much, but frowned slightly again. "Oh yeh. Sorry. But thats just me. As i said, Isobel would probably worship you. Because you must have pureblood etc." She said, rolling her eyes as she fell back into her normal self of quick replies to defend herself. But this time, she still had her guard up, prepared to not let it down in front of Fayt because last time she had, it had resulted in everything going wrong. So, smiling faintly, she made sure that her words were thought about before being spoken. The topic about the owl came to a close and Alice sighed inwardly. It seemed that the conversations between them were very short lived and it made things slightly awkward between them sometimes, when topics didn't flow and therefore one of them had to quickly make up another one. But, waiting until there was nothing else to be said, she just looked out into the corridor and lost herself in her thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back