A Warty Situation.

Freya Heimdall

OOC First Name
Kim
Wand
Mahogany Wand 16" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Freya ushered the two warty students into the Hospital wing in search of some help. She sent for Professor King to help as it seemed that his curse on her door had worked. Directing both Bellatrix and Bruin to sit on the nearest hospital cot she began her inquisition.

"Mr. Dumbledez. How on earth did you get covered in so many warts? And why didn't you tell someone?" She demanded. She didn't ask about the blackmail letters to see if his good nature would come forth and he would confess.

Bruin had been thinking about how to answer this particular question ever since Professor Heimdall had caught he and Bellatrix and decided that he would hope that old saying about honesty being the best policy would hold true here. "Actually, I think I might have got them from touching something I shouldn't have." Bruin began, having been truthful thus far, but not coming right out and saying that he thought what he had touched had been her office door.

"To be honest, I've been kind of wondering why I didn't tell someone myself. When the warts first started popping up, I thought that someone had played a prank on me and I didn't want the whole school laughing at me. I figured they would go away or that I could figure out how to get rid of them on my own within a day or two, but, uh, that didn't exactly happen..." Bruin added honestly. He didn't want to say more than he needed to at the moment and decided to leave it there.

Nicolas had very luckily been at the castle to receive Freya's patronus message. He entered the Hospital Wing wearily, expecting to see Bellatrix and his hunch from what she had said in the Library he suspected Bruin to be present as well. Nicolas heard Bruin's voice as he approached the doorway, mentioning how he had hoped they would to go away in a few days, and how they hadn't. A smirk came across Nicolas face as he entered the hospital wing, still in his traveling cloak, "I should hope they wouldn't go away quickly -- it'd defeat the purpose." Nicolas replied, nodding respectfully to Freya as he surveyed the full progression of Bruin's warts. He, however, decided to say nothing more just yet, add nothing else, and allow Freya to do as she had first planned before putting in his own input.

Bruin turned to look as Professor King entered the room and spoke. He looked tired and more than a little smug to Bruin, although Bruin assumed that he had good reason to under the circumstances. Ninety percent of Bruin was remorseful and willing to accept his punishment for lying without complaint, but ten percent of him was ticked off that he had been covered in warts for no reason other than touching a professor's door. The ten percent of him almost won out and had Bruin say something foolish, but the remainder of him took control and Bruin simply turned his gaze back to Professor Heimdall and do whatever needed to be done to put this mess behind him.

Acknowledging Nicolas with a slight nod she took a step closer to the students seated before her. Her eyes darkened as she glared at them both. "You are not telling me everything Mr. Dumbledez." she spoke with a low commanding voice. Something none of the students at Hogwarts were used to. Nicolas was likely not used to it either.

"And you Miss Green," she continued. "You obviously must have something to add." She straightened up and finished, "This is your last chance to tell me the whole truth before I decide on how to deal with you for being out after curfew." Her voice indicated that she meant more then curfew and everyone knew it.

Bruin was taken aback by Professor Heimdall's tone, especially after having got used to her typically pleasant and calm demeanor in Ancient Runes. He really didn't have much more to add, except that the thing he had touched was her office door and that he had done that while apparently slipping some sort of blackmail note written by Bellatrix under it. Bruin knew now that it had been a trap designed to catch the blackmailer, but he couldn't figure out how to come clean without implicating Bellatrix as the guilty party.

If they hadn't been caught together...if she hadn't been seen in the library by Professor King...if she hadn't contracted warts herself then he might have been able to offer some kind of plausible excuse for why he had touched her door, but not now. Despite the circumstances, Bruin still felt some bizarre sense of loyalty to Bellatrix and would say only two more things. If the professors wanted more than they would have to get it from him some other way.

Bruin cleared his throat and looked directly at Professor Heimdall. "Alright, I got the warts from touching your office door while sliding a note under it, but I didn't write the note nor do I know what was written in it. If you don't believe me then feel free to use truth serum or whatever on me, I don't care anymore...I'm telling you the truth...". Bruin knew that his word might not exactly carry a lot of weight at the moment given that he had just been discovered lying about his whereabouts for the past few days, but he'd leave it up to the professors to decide whether to trust him or not.

Bellatrix sat there silently listening to the questioning of Bruin Dumbledez. In her mind though she was debating, what to do? She couldn't let him get punished for her acts, and it seems that believing him was not the case. She sat there, her eyes trained upon the cold ground, shifting slightly with awkwardness and anticipation. Yet when Professor Heimdall addressed her she jumped as if caught in the middle of a wrong act. "I-I am not sure what you wish for me to add, for Bruins defense. For he is telling you the truth." she said her voice shaking slightly, as she twisted the Professors words away from her self, but not putting the blame on Bruin.

Nicolas was slightly taken aback by Freya's tone when she spoke. He was unsure what she possibly could have been blackmailed about, how somebody such as her could do something worth blackmailing. However, as he heard her spoke, he recognized there seemed to be a second side to her -- one that would make sure to get what it wanted.

Nicolas listened as Bruin spoke, he shook his head slightly at the mention of truth serum, the school had other ways of finding the truth than the illegal use of controlled substances, and Nicolas already knew enough about the situation to discern what Bruin had admitted. "I know you're not to blame for these things Mr. Dumbledez, but I also know you know more than you're letting on." Nicolas began, hoping Freya wouldn't mind his speaking. "However it would seem that Ms. Green knows enough about the situation to state with certainty that you are an innocent party, she was convinced of this fact even a few days ago."

Freya listened as everyone spoke. Her eyes were still dark and her hands were balled into fists under her robe sleeves. The effort to control herself was becoming difficult. But she must not show herself to anyone here or she would be dismissed for sure. She fully believed the boy, he had never given her any reason not to. "You Mr. Dumbledez are protecting someone. This I already know." her words were clear and strong. "But are you willing to save your own skin to tell me who you were delivering the note for? You may find your loyalties are misplaced. " Her glance flickered to Bellatrix so quickly, it would be hard to know if she had really done it or not.

Freya was relatively sure that Bellatrix was behind the whole thing. One didn't need to be Merlin to figure that one out. She was waiting to see if this girl she had put so much faith in would live up to her expectations or fail as she had so far since this whole thing started.

Bruin listened as the others took turns speaking. It was becoming blatantly obvious that everyone in the room knew that Bellatrix was involved, but were waiting for him to confirm it. He was conflicted, obviously wanting out of this situation with as little punishment as possible and his complexion returned to normal and knew that simply identifying Bellatrix as the source of the note would be his quickest path to this end.

Unfortunately, Professor Heimdall's words about loyalty struck him and he wondered whether he would ever forgive himself for selling out a friend, even if he wasn't exactly sure on what that friendship might be based. He thought for a moment before making his decision...if they wanted confirmation about Bellatrix's involvement then they would have to get it from someone other than Bruin. Bruin hoped that he wasn't making the biggest mistake of his life by not cooperating.

"I'm not looking to save my skin. The way it is now, it's hardly worth saving anyways." Bruin replied sincerely, hoping that the professor didn't think it a flippant response. "As for the note, I was delivering it for a friend. A friend who obviously made a big mistake writing the note and will hopefully learn from that mistake. If I'm making a mistake right now by staying loyal to that person and not telling you who they are, then I suppose I'll have to learn from that mistake and live with the consequences."

Bruin knew that he was risking a lot, perhaps too much for Bellatrix, but his parents had raised him that life was about taking chances and having faith in the good in others. He wouldn't stop believing that now...

Freya shook her head. "I expected so much more from you Mr. Dumbledez. I hope your loyalty is well worth the price." Her tone was low now and drenched in disappointment.

She turned to Professor King. "Professor." she said with a smile more befitting her Hogwarts persona. "I believe we are at an impasse. I do not believe that Mr. Dumbledez here is the person I am searching for." The word person fell from her mouth as if it digusted her to use it. "But without the correct person I have no choice but to punish him with great severity." Her back was now turned to the students as she spoke. A faint smile drifted quickly across her face. "But before he learns his fate, can we please clear him of his ailment, it is more then I can stand to look at any longer."

Bruin sat expressionless as Professor Heimdall spoke to him, not particularly enjoying the disappointment in her voice, but unsure what she truly expected of him under the circumstances. He listened carefully as she turned and spoke to Professor King, thought about trying to steal a glance at Bellatrix, but then thought better of it. Instead, Bruin occupied the brief silence considering what "punish him with great severity" might exactly entail.

Bruin realized that he had a great deal to lose...a list that included not only House Points or time and effort serving detentions, but also his Prefect status, his Quidditch Captaincy, or even his Top Student awards. He wondered if Professor Heimdall's disciplinary powers extended this far or further, but knew that he hadn't done much to endear himself to Professor King recently and that without his Head of House's support that Bruin's time at the school was probably even in jeopardy.

Bruin waited in silence, waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Nicolas stood in silence through most events, noting the two very different sides to Freya as they went along. When Freya addressed him again Nicolas' lips pursed slightly, Bruin was in his house and was his or the Headmistress' responsibility to punish for anything more severe than house points or a single detention with a Professor, that he felt was still in effect even for such things as this. "I shall cure Mr. Dumbledez, but I fear it is my responsibility to punish him, that's not to say I won't speak with you on it, but if he is not the one to have been blackmailing you then his punishment does not concern you as greatly as the punishment of your blackmailer." Nicolas stated firmly, a slight glare being shot toward Bellatrix, he didn't care what Freya thought of his statements, he had helped her and one of his students got mixed up in it. Perhaps if she had acted truly as a professor of Hogwarts and not done something worthy of blackmail the situation would not exist. Drawing his wand Nicolas aimed it toward Bruin, he muttered a small incantation in latin which had been created solely for use on marking charms and the warts started to fade away, leaving only sores and clear skin wherever appropriate.

Freya bowed to Nicolas. "Of course Professor King, I don't know what came over me." she said with seemingly genuine sincerety. "This whole ordeal has made me quite upset, and I fear I'm not acting like myself." She hoped her words would buy her some time so she could figure out a way to deal with Bellatrix, whom she knew now more then ever was behind this. It disturbed her greatly that this girl would so easily condemn her friend and not take responsibility for her actions. She also had to make sure the conversation of the blackmailing ended so she would not have to explain any further to the Auror present that she had killed someone, even if it was a miserable death eater.

Bellatrix sat there, in the same position, her mind still conflicting. They wanted to punish Bruin...how far would her selfish acts last? Finally after all this bickering and her friend cleared of his warts, she decided. She had to tell them, he was entitled in their friendship with her trust and not ratting on her, and she was entitled to save him in some way from her punishments. Finally she quickly looked up, eyes meeting Professor Heimdall's. "I blackmailed you Professor, but you already knew that, and trust me after what you did it wasn't too hard to acquire information, you should cover your tracks better. But I ask that you show mercy upon my friend Bruin who with his great heart, stuck up for me, someone who does not deserve that form of compassion. I ask that you please exempt him from any punishment, even from missing classes because of my doing. I should not have asked him to help me blackmail you, for I was using him. I knew it would be a safer approach for me as he blindly helped a friend." she said firmly, not glancing at anyone but her.

Freya looked directly back into Bellatrix's eyes. Finally, the girl whom she had all the hope in the world for finally did the right thing. "Thank you Miss Green for sparing your friend." Freya turned to Nicolas, "I believe it is probably best that you take Mr. Dumbledez back to Gryffindor. As I suspected he is a poor innocent bystander. I don't believe he should be punished for anything. His loyalty to a friend, I believe far out weigh the classes he missed. But as you say, that is your decision Professor."

Freya turned to Bellatrix and smiled. "Now you my dear, I think perhaps we should take you to your own Head of House and see what he has to say, hmmm?" The smile on Freya's face was turned away from Professor King. The smile never reached her eyes. She was not pleased. Relieved, but not pleased.

Bruin sat in stunned silence, looking from one professor to the other as they spoke. He was relieved that Professor King had cured his warts, but couldn't believe the way that the other three had spoken about some blackmail plot so cavalierly in front of him. To this point, Bellatrix had really only alluded to something of this nature, but now his Head of House was talking about it like it was common knowledge.

Despite these thoughts, Bruin tried to remain calm and not show much excitement at Professor Heimdall's suggestion that he should be spared punishment. Bruin was glad to see that Professor Heimdall didn't appear to be holding any grudge against him and Bruin would do all he could to repay her kindness. Professor King on the other hand seemed a little put out for being involved with him again and was probably running out of ways to punish him for his periodic errors in judgement. Ultimately, Bruin knew better than to assume he would get off easily and waited quietly to see how Professor King responded before getting up to leave.

Nicolas had much too much to do to punish Bruin when Bellatrix had finally confessed. "Go to your dorm Mr. Dumbledez." He stated firmly, turning quickly on his heels and exiting the Hospital Wing, he had to search for Cecily again.

Bellatrix was confused by the Professors strange smile she wore on her face. Unsure what that meant, she sat there quietly. Her face going blank. "Manteia?" Bellatrix gawked as she let a slight cackle come from her mouth. "He's not going to do much but expel me!" she said in almost a crazed tone. "Beside, you can't handle your own problems Professor? First you had to enlist King and now Manteia? Pity...I thought you had more spark in you..." Bellatrix said trying to egg the woman on.

Bruin listened as Professor King ordered him to his dorm, only too happy to comply and hopeful that his recent string of good fortune continued. He'd be rubbing that Wunjo Rune for days if it did....

Bruin had to resist the urge to shake his head as he just caught Bellatrix's last words as he left the room. He'd find out later how Bellatrix made out with Professor Heimdall and Manteia, but wished for her sake that she'd stop with the snide remarks for once. It seemed like she was just looking for trouble some times.

Freya watched as the two left the hospital wing. Insufferable git she mumbled after Professor King had exited. Now the room was empty and Freya turned around quickly and stood before the girl at her fullest height. "Now you. What am I going to do with you." she said tilting her head slightly. A smile shone across her face but did not reach her eyes. "Just what on this good earth do you think you were trying to accomplish with these pitiful notes." she said producing one and then crumpling it in her hand. Freya was mad but so far in control. Her conflict with this girl was great. On one hand she believe this girl had more in her, on the other she wanted to crush her like an ant under her shoe. Only the girls response would prove which side would win.

Bellatrix cackled lightly as the Professor attempted to intimidate her and get any truth from Bellatrix. "I accomplished what I need to!" she said quickly something proud yet still slightly repetitive in her tone. Her mind was split in two. One side wishing to tell Professor Heimdall what she thought of the woman and how she never trusted her professed statements about caring about her. No one had, no one all her life, and suddenly this Professor acts like she cared. She must have not gotten the memo. And the other side of her emotion wishing to apologize, accept this possible love and feeling of being wanted, and repent for all her sins. It seemed that she always went down the same path, never able to break from of the thorn and bramble filled pathway.

"Miss Green, I know you aren't stupid. But this was a stupid thing to do." Freya was calm but still very agitated under the surface. It appeared that Bellatrix was not going to change anytime soon. So the Professor decided to pick a different route.

"Do you know exactly what I did? What exactly are you accusing me of?" Freya wanted to know the extent of what this girl knew so she could take the appropriate measures to keep her secret silent.

"Yes, I know it was. It appears that I do many stupid things though, so why would this one be different from any of the rest? People yell at me for it, restrict me, and then grow disappointed in me and leave." she said her tone cold and hurt. "And yes Professor. I do. Word travels easily, when you have the correct sources for it. I know you killed a man, a Death Eater to be precise, Vladmir Rasputin by name. I also know you had a vendetta with this man...and for that, I can respect your actions." Bellatrix said firmly. After a moment of silence she said in a soft tone, understanding the kind of emotions that Professor had to go to this measure. "I am sorry about your loss Professor...they must of meant a lot to you...family perhaps...I know how it feels...to lose the only thing you care for in the world..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back