A surprise lurking in the night

Kailey Harrington

OOC First Name
Kelsey
Wand
12 1/2" Firm Fir Wand with the essence of Dragon Heartstring
Josiah entered his room in the Hog's Head. Most of his things were left in the castle, but the other things he needed for the trip, he'd had brought back to this room. Now, two days into the Summer break, he would be traveling to snowy Scotland to spend Christmas with Onyx and Jude. He ran a hand over his face as he lay the packages down on the floor, parcels he would have flown by owl to Midnight Manor the next morning to arrive in time for Christmas after he got there via Floo.

After double-checking on things, closng the shutters outside his window, and placing his watch on his nightstand he lay down for a good night's sleep.

He slept fitfully, his dreams haunted by the kiss he'd shared with a student at the school, in the dungeons during the Yule Ball.

~*~ 3 am the next morning ~*~

Josiah rolled from his bed, rubbing his eyes as he checked his watch.

"Holy cow it's three o'clock! How long did I sleep??" he exclaimed in his tired state, not realizing that it was still dark out, and wasn't 3 in the afternoon. He hobbled about the room, deciding he'd bring a bag with him and enchant it to hold the parcels. They'd just have to come with him, as he didn't have time to have them sent out. He quickly dressed in a tan t-shirt and black jeans before walking over to the small fireplace in the corner of the room.

Scooping his hand into the bowl of powder on the mantel he tossed it into the fire and slurred out the words "Midnight Manor" though it sounded a bit more like Mid Nott Manor. He grabbed his suitcase as he stumbled headfirst into the sparkling green flames, and after a tumultuos journey through soot, smacked into a grate, pausing only for a split-second before he sent it - and himself- flying across a room much bigger than Onyx's cozy living room.

He sat up after a moment's hesitation, and withdrew his wand from his pocket; miraculously it hadn't snapped.

"Lumos" he muttered in the pitch black darkness, before illuminating the cavernous room with it's cold marble floors. It felt more like he'd landed in one of the castle dungeons, and he pinched himself, wondering if he was still dreaming about the unfortunate breaking of his will, in his barely buzzed state.

"Where the bloody hell am I?" he asked to nobody in particular, his voice echoing off the beautifully patterned walls. It was at this moment that he really looked around the place, trying to stand, but as he walked he noticed he had a limp. Must have sprained something on his way....in.

This...definitely wasn't Onyx's place. Sure her house was large, but she preferred to decorate in warm, soft tones. Not the cold, slick, modern look this room had. He looked behind him to where he'd come out and tried not to laugh at how in the world he'd managed to fit though the small rectangular excuse for a fireplace.

"Hello?" he called out into the empty house, where not a creature had stirred (not even a mouse) when he had crashed into the living room.

Or so he thought...

Cassandra was sitting in the large red arm chair in her bedroom with a cup of water and a few pumpkin pasties beside her on one of the twin end tables on either side of the chair. It was still early in the day but Cassandra had no desire to go out anywhere, It had been a while since she went to Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade but she would get around to that later, she definitely couldn't go to Obsidian Harbor or Brightstone Village seeing as it was around 3 in the morning there. She thought back to the day before and wondered how she could have been so idiotic.

Then again it wasn't exactly as though he really minded, it was his damned postition at the school that had made him stop. Which she did see the logic in that, She knew if the roles were reversed she wouldn't risk her ass over a student. But she didn't want to think about him anymore than she really had to so she pushed the less than pleasant subject to the back of her mind and once again got lost in the book she had been reading. God when did she get so into books? Small pink patches graced both of her pale cheeks when she thought about the cause of her new found bookish ways.

Sure she had been heading up to the library to kill time before Josiah had gotten there but when they talked about the books they read among other things she found herself actually enjoying the reading that had in the past been boring but bearable, she really needed to get out more. Two years at the school and the only friend she had made was one of the Librarians? Ack, sounded so Ravenclaw like. She idly flicked a page in the book, she would probably go down to the living room and listen to the magically powered radio in a few minutes.

After a few more minutes she streched out of her curled up postition in the comfortable chair. The soft red tank top barely covering her stomach until she righted herself again. It occured to her that she should have probably waited a few more hours to change into her pajamas, but seeing as she was home alone with only the house elves running about there was noone to comment on her tank top and short shorts pairing, domething she wouldn't have dared wear any further than the entrance to the manor, not even downstairs if her parents were home.

She stood from the chair, unlike most of the house the floor was carpeted so she didn't have to bother with shoes. But before she could even take two steps she heard a loud crash from the story below, almost right under her feet. Someone had tried to floo in and had tried to get through the fireplace in their secondary living room, it wasn't even supposed to be hooked to the network. Reacting as any normal person would she grabbed her wand and ran out of her room slamming the large oak door behind her.

She wasn't expecting any guests and her parents were gone on a month long vacation to Japan and weren't going to be back until a week after her departure. So all of her senses were on high alert. The whole upper level was lit with various lights buit the lower level of the house was pitch black. She was aware she wouldn't be able to use her magic unless it was an emergency so her wand was kind of pointless but if it came down to it she would blow this intruders ass to Timbuktu.

She heard the call of Hello coming from the secondary living room at the end of the hall from an eerily familiar voice. Then nothing aside from the sound of her barefeet slapping against the stone floor as she ran through the hall way she knew so well even in pitch darkness. She turned into the living room and knew she was right about the origin of the noise when she saw the beam of wandlight coming from an unknow source.

She turned a knob on the wall and a flow of magic went through the room as the lights all lit up at once, flooding the room with a light yellow light rather then the blaring glare of muggle lightbulbs. She looked at the wielder of the lit wand whos face wasn't turned to her but knew right away who it was. For once in her life she was so shocked her jaw dropped. What the hell was he doing here?!? Espically after the conversation they had had the day before about a bit of distance between them, this wasn't the way to go about that.

She circled the room to where she was standing infront of and above him, knowing he wasn't a threat she had laid her wand back on the sofa while she walked and now stood infront of him, her arms crossed. Her face pink as she realized how little clothing she was wearing and the fact that her hair was wavy from having had it in a braid all day. She looked down at Josiah who looked like he had just rolled out of bed and reminded herself he probably just had, it was about 3 in the morning over there after all. But getting over her shock quickly, her embarassment not so much she asked, "Josiah Alexander Hansen, would you please tell me why the bloody hell you're sitting in my living room floor and breaking my furniture!"she motioned to the grate which had snapped in half.

Josiah rubbed his head, relaxing his wand hand as he meandered lamely about the room. Eventually the pain came back in the sprained ankle and it gave way as he fell back to the floor. He felt like crying at wherever he was, the grate lay broken a few feet away and his head was spinning wondering how he would manage to pay for that on his meager librarian's salary. It looked fairly expensive, as did everything that surrounded him. His lifestyle and actual family back home was reminiscent of the famous Weasley clan from ages ago. Many children, lower class household, not very much room. But they'd been happy as is.

He knew the grate alone costed more than his dinign room table in their cramped kitchen. He tried the leg again to no avail and decided to sit and wait until the house's residents found him. If they were gone on holiday then he was in trouble. Of course, there was always apparation - however he'd never really gotten the hang of it. And splinching the already sprained ankle wouldn't help his current state in the slightest.

Just as he was bracing himself for the jerking motion that suually accompanied his apparating he heard an angelic - although fairly pissed off - voice from in front of him. He hadn't even heard her approach and she'd blended with the shadows of the room at first once she'd circled around.

"Cassie?" he asked in disbelief. How ironic indeed.The very girl that had haunted his dreams the previous night and now he had somehow ended up in her living room? Perhaps he was still dreaming. Nightmaring would be a more apt term. He pinched himself to be sure that this wasn't the case before attmepting a chuckle and looking sheepishly into her eyes,"If I could tell you, I would. I think it was my sleepy speech that erred the Floo network's judgement of my destination...somehow it turned Midnight into..Nott. Understandable I suppose. And as for breaking your furniture, well...I couldn't very well stop my limp body from hurdling at breakneck speed from your chimney now could I?"
He dared to sneak a grin in at the end, knowing she probably felt like smacking the hell out of him already, and it would just feed into her current rage.

"Nice shorts, by the way. Very classy sleepwear." he finished. He'd been bothered by her kissing him for the past 24 hours or so...he felt as if he deserved one snide remark on her appearance after she embarassed him as she had in the dungeons.

As she heard him question her presence in the room and looked at him sprawled out on the floor she thought, What were the odds of that happening? Ususally when a floo goes awry it's not to the house of the one person you're trying to avoid due to what has evolved into sexual tension. So when his snarky arse like explanation was puncuated with a sh1t eating grin Cassandras annoyance, which hadn't been nearly as bad as he thought it was, spiked up another level. "Well excuse me for being surprised that you of all people come randomly flying into my house. Plus for obvious reasons that fireplace isn't even hooked up to the damn floo network! So explain that one smartass."

She looked back at the grate snapped in half, "That was expensive too..." she muttered more to herself than to him. "Seeing as I'm 16 I can't fix it without getting the ministry on my ass so will you fix it because there is no way in hell I'm explaining this to Mother and father." she said She didn't bother to tell him they would be gone all of break, what business was it of his anyways? She needed to get the grate fix and if he knew of Theodore Nott he would do it in fear. Her father while not a death eater to her knowledge was not a very kind man and she was pretty much a daddys girl in his eyes even though she had long since stopped trying to learn from him as many of his reasonings were flawed.

She rolled her eyes at the comment about her current clothing or lack there of and shook her head, clapping slowly, her voice dripping in sarcasm. "Oh wow Josiah, So original." she said dragging out the so for a few seconds. She had been partially tempted to 'pull a Malfoy' and say something along the lines of 'You know you like it.' But in the end her sanity won that round, Scorpius was a shameless flirt and she wasn't. Actually until Josiah she had been borderline Asexual, so why was it that the one guy to finally make that side of her nature kick in had to be forbidden? Not to mention a downright arse at times. "So do you plan on laying on the floor all evening?" she asked before noticing the ankle which was getting bigger.

For a moment her annoyance was forgotten as she sunk down in to the floor beside him and pulled up the pant leg that she noticed was starting to constrict the ankle. "Cooper." she called and seconds later a house elf was standing at her side. "Yes Miss Cassandra?" Cassandra turned her head from the ankle to the elf. "Get me a bag of ice from one of the kitchens and quickly please." she said motioning towards the ankle. "Right away Miss Cassandra." she said before apparating to another part of the house with a loud 'CRACK' that echoed through the room and her eardrums only stopping in time for the silence to be disturbed by another crack as the house elf apparated back into the room.

"Heres your ice Miss Cassandra." the house elf said timidly "Thank you Cooper." she said with a curt nod before the house elf once again apparated away with a loud cracking noise. She scoted over closer to him and put the bag of ice over his ankle. She looked at the clock and held the icepack to his ankle for twenty minutes before getting Cooper to take the not half melted bag of ice and put it back where it could freeze for future use of some sort. Before lifting him up to the best of her ability and sitting him on the couch. Oh what have you gotten yourself into this time Joaish? she thought as she took a seat beside him making sure the ankle was elevated on a pillow she had placed on the higher than average coffee table infront of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back