A Run In My Backyard

Greg smiled bashfully when she called him sweet. He was told that a lot, but it sounded sincere on her part also. It seemed she hadn't encountered much kindness in her life. "But hasn't anybody told you that you're sweet, too?" he asked, an honest question. "Not many people would take in a stray like me in this weather."

He paused with a smile before pushing the wet curls out of his face with a hand. The heat was making him drowsy, and he was so desperately tired. But Greg was enraptured into the conversation. "Surely if someone thought you were beautiful, they wouldn't just want what they saw on the outside. If you were that interested, wouldn't you want to know all of them?" he mused, half asking but half just thought. "It doesn't make any sense..." One day Gregory would learn to understand the thoughts of everyday people, but not today. Today he was too tired and could only be himself. The self that couldn't pretend to hate anyone or to understand cruelty. "Are you usually like this with anyone else?" He didn't mean it to sound as though he thought himself special. To him it looked like there was a deeper part of her that few people saw.

Hers was a face that didn't look like it had seen many smiles, but it lit up her features.

She shrugged when he tried to say she was a nice person. Still she couldn't believe that, If she was a good person her father wouldn't have done her so. She was just happy he was gone and she could live with good people, like the Dinu's. She had to say she was surprised when he called himself a stray. Didn't he have a home too? She looked to the domed ceiling. "Your far to innocent for this worlds hardships." Adrianna breathed a sigh, her other side growling protectively.

She closed her eyes, for fear the tears fall out of them. With her eyes closed she sunk her body back into the hot soothing water, her hair fanned out around her. She tried to relax, and after a moment she was able to open her eyes with out fear of tears. Giving him a soft look she spoke, her voice low and uneven. "I choose not to get close to humans." She swallowed. "On any other night I would have left some one to die. Your the exception, and don't ask me why, because I don't even know."

Greg embarrassed himself frequently by his so called 'innocence'. His innocence was the reason he was here instead of back in England in a warm bed, with a job and still with half of his family. If only he hadn't been so naive... but Audel was a good person, just like Adrianna is. Why can't they see that in themselves? he thought despairingly. I don't know how to show good people how wonderful they are. Upon instinct he thought to reach out and comfort her somehow, but it didn't make it past his brain filter. Even though she seemed to like him, many people didn't like physical contact. Even so, his body jolted as though it were to move, and his hand brushed hers.

"Sorry," he blushed. Greg felt himself weighed down with her sorrow and that of many people he could remember. Of course he was innocent. Easy to woo, easy to hurt, prone to being taken advantage of. But other people had it much worse. Imagine being so kind yet suffering a terrible life, so much that you wouldn't believe that you were good any longer! On impulse he spoke.

"Bad things happen to everyone, those who do right or those who do wrong. That doesn't mean that either deserve it. That's why there are people like me, though I may be 'innocent.' I'm here to remind you and anyone else who needs it that they deserve love and companionship."

He hadn't meant to go off on a spiel, especially to someone who was practically a stranger. Perhaps it was selfish to try and comfort someone because you felt bad if they did, but it didn't matter. All he wanted at that moment was to see her smile properly, as one comfortable in themselves and open to the world.

Adrianna looked at him with wide eyes, her mouth open just slightly as she tried to register what he was saying. Tears weld up in her eyes as she looked down to her hands. 'If only he knew, he would believe different, if only he knew what i had done for years, just because i wanted to make it up to my father. To show him how sorry I was for making him lose my mother.' Finally the tears cascaded down her face, even as she tried to stop them. She sniffled, not sure what to say.

SHe looked up at him, her vision blurred enough that she could barely see him. She moved forward some, closer to him. She was close enough to touch him. Unsure what to do she watched him, then finally she decide to seek comfort in him. She laid her head on his shoulder, her tears flowing more freely then before. No other part of her body touched him as she sobbed, unsure of what to do or say. She felt so lost.

Immediately Greg wrapped his arms around her, a hand in her hair as she cried on his shoulder. Although some had been taken aback by his gentleness, no-one had ever been so honest. He was both elated and saddened at once. He was so pleased that she was still able to reach out like this, but couldn't bear the thought of what pain she must have been through to need it.

"Please," he said gently as he rested his mouth onto her hair in a comforting kiss. "Why don't you tell me."

His heart was breaking just listening to her quiet sobs. Greg felt disgusted with himself all over again. Being lost in the woods is nothing to the troubles of the heart. You have nothing to complain about. You need to give everything to help her. Gift baskets don't mend a broken heart, he told himself firmly.

Adrianna felt herself give, she leaned completely against him. She had never been comforted before. Her arm snaked up his chest, her hand settling on the back of his neck. Despirately she wanted to scream no, but she felt like she couldn't be strong any more. She sobbed till finally they stopped with a very ungraceful hic-up. She pulled away just enough to look at him, unsure of what to tell him.

She pursed her lips, and looked down at the turning bubbles. The heat helped her relax enough to speak. "My mother died while in labor with me. Truely I don't think my father ever forgave me." She cleared her throat. "After I turn 6, I became his wife, at least in his mind." She started to shake with the memory, her legs curled up in front of her, like she felt like she still need to protect herself. "He guilted me into everything, and I let him. I wanted so badly for him to forgive me." On her last word her voice broke. She could feel her other form, as if it were pacing restlessly. "Till finally I made it stop."

She fisted both her hands. "My father disappeared after that, and I went to go live with his best friend, Dragos Dinu." She sighed. "He is still out there somewhere." She looked at him with such hate filled eyes. She felt so ashamed of herself, for giving into her weakness, not just then, but now as well. She started to pull away from him.

But Gregory didn't let her go. "So why on earth would you deserve that sort of treatment? You wouldn't wish a life like that onto your worst enemy. Why would you then think that you would... Hasn't anyone..." he paused, frowning. "Hasn't anyone told you you're worth more than that?". He couldn't say anymore. Greg struggled to find the words to make her understand, but he couldn't.

"Don't feel ashamed of telling me. You haven't lost your dignity or your strength by doing so. You've only gained another friend, one more person who cares."

He could only smile at her. "The leopard's roaring in your eyes," he said softly, somehow entranced by the passion that was emanating from her pain.

She didn't know what to say, no one had ever shown her that type of kindness. She wanted so badly to feel closer to him, but she kept herself in check. A small smile spread across her lips. "She tends to do that." Adrianna spoke softly, chuckling at the end of her sentence. She scooted closer to him under the water, forgetting the fact that he was naked. She laid her head on his shoulder again.

She just couldn't understand how her could care about her though. All she could see off herself was this horrible foul being. She sighed, and sleepily hugged him. "Thankyou." She lifted her head and gave him a mischivous smile. "I'm kinda glad I saved you tonight." She sighed, then smiled warmly. "I really am glad though. I've never had anyone tell me what you have." There was still a sad glint in her eyes. She couldn't help but want to kiss him.

"Well let me just say that I'm bloody glad 'ye saved me, too" he laughed.

All of a sudden, he was starkly aware that she was much closer to him. He could feel her skin on him, and his side tingled slightly despite the heat. He could feel a blush coming on again, but he attempted to quell in as he continued to hold her. Greg had never been so exhausted in his entire life, but his heart was pumping, exhilarated.

"Well...someone needed to tell you. I just feel privileged that it was me." said Greg softly. He was being completely sucked in. Greg, stop. said his mind. Don't. Don't even try, it's not worth it to have your heart torn out again. His eyes grew sad to match hers, but he didn't move away. Don't, Greg. Please! his mind almost begged, and he agreed in a way. The hurt of being tossed aside still remained. Perhaps he was too fragile a human being.

Adrianna bit her lip, she wanted to kiss him, but she didn't want anything to happen. He is much too innocent. She blushed and moved away some, but not enough to be out of his arms, she liked it far too much. She cleared her throat, "I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable." She swallowed hard. She didn't know what to do. She started to wonder what his life had been like, but would he even confide in some one like her.

She tried to start with something easy, eager to know more about this kind hearted man in front of her. "So, why don't you have a wand." She spoke slowly, not wanting to make it sound like she was mad. "Do you really have any where to go, to live?" She looked up at him with so much worry in her face. Something she normally would show, especially to someone whom she had only know a few hours. She had to admit, already she felt closer to him than anyone else in her entire life.

"No, ye're alright." he said amiably. Greg was generally a source of calm in social events.

"I lost my wand in a fight." said Greg slowly. It would be difficult to imagine him doing fighting of any sort, let alone a duel, but there it was. The details would be kept hidden.
"I...I was heading towards a safe place, but I'm not so sure it's safe anymore. I think I might just stay out here for now." That could mean forever. He would never bring his troubles to his mother's household, no matter how much they may welcome him in. He might just wander for a few months until he found somewhere permanent to live, in solitary.

"Please don't look so aggrieved," he smiled at her. "I can take care of myself." It didn't look like it, but he had survived two weeks of winter out in the cold, had he not? ... almost.

Adrianna pouted. She really didn't want him getting hurt. "At the risk of sounding mean I must say, from what I saw tonight makes me not so sure." She got closer to him again, absentmindedly pressing against him. She didn't want to have to see his beautiful lips blue again, or feel his skin turn to ice. She moved against him slightly, trapped for a moment in her thoughts. She sighed.

She swallowed, wanting to suggest something but afraid he would shoot it down. "You could stay here." She lifted up quickly and put a finger on those beautifully sculpted lips. "Before you say anything hear me out." She removed her finger, letting it slide down and off his chin. "You could live hear, its safe, there are barriers set up every where. I have no servants, so i have a hard time keeping up with the cleaning. You could help, to pay for your stay." She swallowed again. She just wanted to help him.

"Oh, Adrianna-" he began, but was silenced with a soft finger. Greg could only blinked as he dared not speak. This was too good to be true. How could she think she was not kind? This seemed like the opportunity of his life. He had to admit to himself that he would have died out there. She was right, he didn't have any idea what he was doing.

He listened to all she had to say, then lifted his hand to touch the finger on his chin. But he couldn't feel it. As he looked down, something turned his heart to ice in fear.

His fingers. Numb, from the tip to the base and such a horrible colour. He was frostbitten as he hadn't even realized it. He tried moving them, but there was no response. "Oh bugger..." he said softly. Greg drew away from her, trying not to frighten her as much as he had frightened himself.

"D...Do you have Skele-grow by any chance?" he asked with his heart pounding.

Adrianna looked to where he was looking, and grimanced. She nodded, lifting herself up quickly up and out of the warm water. Goose bumps broke out all over her skin. She looked to her medicen cabinet near by and got out a green bottle. She quickly returned with it in hand. She sighed and crouched down beside him, her body resembling that of her inner self. "Sadly enough I've never used it before."

She set the bottle down and went to go get a soft black towel for him. Returning she set down the towel and returned to her crouch, her hair tumbling wet over her shoulder and down to the stone. "So, what do you need help with?" She glanced warely at his fingers.

"Well, er..." said Greg awkwardly. "I'm pretty sure they're beyond saving. My father's a Healer so he'd know better, but with as much as I know... I'm just waiting till they fall off so I can grow them back again."
This was going to be painful.

Greg rose out of the water till he was submerged up to his waist and gave Adrianna a winced look of apprehension. "If you'd just grab a towel for me, I'll...try and figure out to to navigate this." Which included trying not to loose his fingers, and holding up a towel, and making it back to the bed without losing the towel, them suffering all night as his fingers grew back. Dear Lord.

She grabbed the towel with a dismissive look. She had seen enough naked men in her life time, one more wouldn't make a difference to her. She Helped him out of the water and tied the towel around his waist so it wouldn't fall off. She was really worried about him, but she was slightly pissed off that their moment was gone. She covered herself with a blank expression. "Your room is this way, Let me know if you have trouble walking, You could always just ride me to it."

Her voice held no emotion in it as she grabbed a towel for herself and wrapped it around her warm body. She glanced behind her to see if he could stand well. Her movements were very stiff and sharp. She could feel her snow leopard passing inside of her. "Are you going to be able to walk?"

"Oh yes, I'm fine." replied Greg. He could sense that she was annoyed with something, but he couldn't for the life of him fathom what it was. Perhaps she was tired of having to doctor him like this. So he kept his head down and tottered off down the hall and back to the bedroom, though it was slow going.

Eventually he reached the door, and shoved it open gently with his shoulder.
"I'm sorry," he muttered as she passed him.

He sat gingerly on the bed, still not meeting her eyes. Of course she'd be upset. After all this, and he was still sick. It was probably the last thing she needed right now when she was feeling so down.

The instant she heard his apology she felt her heart sink. Was she really acting the terribly? She sighed and cupped his face in her hands. She kissed him ever so softly on his cheek, hoping that would make him feel better. She stayed like that for a moment before she spoke. "You've nothing to be sorry about Greg." Her voice was soft and gentle. "You can't control what happened to you. Its not your fault."

Her hands slid down from his chin and she slipped her arms around his shoulders, embracing him. She didn't expect a hug in return. "I'm glad you came here tonight, even though your going to have a very painful night." She sighed, with drawing from him she kept her hands on his shoulders. She cocked her head in a cute sort of fashion and smiled. "I can stay here with you if you'd like?"

Well, she wasn't that angry after all. Greg smiled and blushed bashfully when he was kissed on the cheek, and returned her hug warmly. "I know. I'm just tired of causing everyone else trouble." he said sadly. It was true. There was nothing more he hated than to be waited on when he could be making himself useful. With his fingers the way they were, it would be difficult to do much as of today. But soon he would be able to make it up to her.

"You can stay if you want," he said. "But I doubt you'll want to. There's going to be a lot of hisses, curses and fretful sleep. There's no point. Besides, you look just as tired." That was a bit of an over statement. No-one at this time could have been more exhausted than him, but even so, he felt obligated to look out for her. "You'll need your rest also." His voice was gentle and coaxing.

Adrianna shrugged. She usually slept in her other form, curled up in a corner in her room. She hadn't used her bed in ages. Most of the time she slept in the day any way. Frequent 'Cat Naps'. She sighed. Tomorrow, she wouldn't sleep as much. She still wanted to stay where she could keep and eye on him. With out speaking she got up and grabbed some pillows from the room's closet. She tossed them in the floor.

Looking up at him she smiled. "I'd be to worried to sleep if I couldn't keep an eye on you." She sat back down on his bed. "Besides, you know us cats and our amazing ability to sleep with one eye open." She winked playfully at him even though that was fully what she intended on doing.

"Well, fair enough." said Greg with a smile. The wet towel clung to him uncomfortably, so he wriggled beneath the covers, trying not to bump his hand before shimmying out of it. He was well covered and warm by now, thankfully.

"Now lets have a look at that Skele-Grow." he said cheerfully, though his stomach was trembling. This was going to be tremendously painful. "Can 'ye turn the bottle over for me?" he asked as he looked for directions on the side.
For minor limbs missing - Three cap-fulls taken in succession. Add a quarter of a cap for every limb.
Oh boy.
With the blankets well hitched up, he dropped the bottle between his knees and unscrewed it with his palms.
"Tally-ho, then." he said, looking over the foul liquid with apprehension. No doubt they'd fall off soon. This was probably the nastiest thing he'd ever done in his entire life - and the most painful.

Adrianna grimanced at the bottle, doing what she could to help him. She could really tell he didn't enjoy the taste too much. Once her was done she took the bottle, setting it on the dresser beside him. She sat on the bed, placing her hand on his chest. "Get me if you need anything. I mean it. If you don't I'll be very upset with you." She gave him stern look.

Standing up she walked over to her corner. She picked up her wand and paused, wanting to make sure he was alright. At least he still looked like her had a bit of color in him. She hoped the hot herb water would help him sleep through the pain. "Do need anything or are you ready to settle down?"

"No, I think I...should be fine for...n-" Greg replied, but was cut off by the flood of pain emanating from his hands. He fell forward, cradling them by his chest as he buried his head into the material. "Yep...pretty fricken...bad" he cursed. Soon he was shivering and twitching, harsh pants racked from his body. Greg couldn't speak any longer.

He moaned into the bed covers, not even able to look up or move. As one wave of pain passed, he felt another building and he lifted his head and gasped out as quickly as possible; "Herbal-tea-might-good!" before he was down again. Every now and then, little sounds came from his lips that sounded oddly like "Ow...Hate Skele-Grow...argh...burn their factory..."

She nodded and quickly left the room, she came back just as quickly, almost spilling some of the hot jasmine tea in her haste. She sat beside help on the bed, and waited for a short break in between the waves. When she saw her opportunity she lifted to his mouth so he could take a sip. She knew the pain would be bad, but this slightly scared her. She stroked his hair, humming a peaceful tune under her breath.

Adrianna couldn't help smirking when she heard him mutter something along the lines of burning down the Skele-Grow factory. Inside her the snow leopard growled protectively. It almost made her want to pace the floor. She could even feel the tail of her other form flicking nervously. "I know it hurt hun, just bare with it." She sighed and continued to stroke his hair, helping him sip his tea when he could.

"Okay...not happy. Falling asleep now." said Greg, falling back onto the pillows. Of course, he couldn't fall asleep straight away. He rocked back and forth on occasion, and sometimes twitched violently, curling in on himself. Never. Using. Skele-grow. Again.

Eventually he lay back, head resting against her thigh in a half unconscious, half asleep state. The herbal tea had done the trick, and his hair was well dry with all the tossing and turning. He finally relaxed, and was truly asleep not minutes later.

(( I'm thinking we should leave it here and then continue posting in a new thread as though it were tomorrow, savvy? What do you think? ^-^ ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back