Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Karissa
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Rigid Cedar Wand with Doxy Wing Core
Mitchell was surprised to see a familiar face among the staff members during the start of the year feast. While they hadn't been best friends or anything back then, he had made sure to have a chat with Madlyn whenever they would come across one another in the corridors or in classes. He did know whether she had recognised him or not given the fact it had been seventeen or eighteen years ago since they last saw each other, so figured that he should drop by her office sometime during the week to see if she had. He entered the professor's common room to grab himself a cup of coffee before returning to his office to work on some notes for the third year class when he noticed that she was sitting at one of the tables. Thinking that this might be as good a time as any to have a chat with her, Mitchell walked up to the woman with a smile on his face. ''Madlyn?'' he said as he approached her. ''Hi, I'm Mitchell North, I used to go to school here with you.'' Mitchell politely held out his hand for her to shake.

Since the start of the brand new school year, Madlyn been feeling kind of nauseous and fatigue. On the first night, she was seen often yawning and had no desire to eat. Like she hadn't slept in days or something, the giant woman didn't know what was wrong with her. That very same night she brewed up some ginger roots with lemon, and it did the trick to send her off to sleep. From there on, Madlyn couldn't go a day without ginger roots and lemon freshly brew, without it the same ill feeling would come back. She felt a little terrible as she missed out on the sorting ceremony and didn't realize an old friend had joined the teaching staff here at Hogwarts. While she was busy preparing yet another cup of tonic, the very same professor enters the professor's common room. Madlyn smiled broadly, taking his hand in a firm shake. "Oh, yes. I thought I saw you at the feast, Mitchell. Wasn't sure if I was seeing right or exhausted. How are you? Came back to join the rest of us," Madlyn would say while she rested her elbows on the table and bringing her steaming cup close to inhaling the brew.

He smiled when Madlyn did recognise him and seated himself across from her at the table. It was nice to see one of his old friends again after such a long time. She hadn't changed one bit in his opinion. ''I'm well,'' Mitchell said with a nod. He never thought that he would find himself inside the professor's common room at some point but here he was, as a professor and having a conversation with someone he knew from his own time as a student at the castle. ''Yeah, I saw the school had a couple of positions open and thought that I might give teaching a shot.'' While Muggle Studies wasn't his first choice of subject he wanted to teach, but after thinking long and hard about it, decided that with having lived and studied in the muggle world he might as well take a shot at applying for it. It had proven fruitful too, all of his experience with muggles, as he was eventually offered to teach all five years of the elective. ''How are you?'' Mitchell asked, returning the question to her.

Last edited:
Madlyn returns the smile, delighted to come across an old friend in a place where she held a lot of memories. Good or bad, although the good outweighs the bad in some respect. Madlyn made a lot of friends, but not many kept in touch except her sister Briar and whenever she did visit New Zealand, Makaylah. "That's good to hear, feels like everyone vanished since we graduated from school," Madlyn commented, wondering of the whereabouts of their classmates. She inhales a breath, then takes a sip from her mug. The mixture felt nice once it went down and settled in her stomach. "That's what I ended up doing myself, I had no plan to teach but I decided to give it a go. What subject are you teaching?" she asked. "I've been well," somewhat, "I stayed with Chayton and we had a daughter who a student here and we've recently had a wedding. Wish I had known you were around, I would've invited you."

He nodded at her statement. He hadn't spoken to any of his old friends in a long, long time. Of course Mitchell knew that it was partially his fault that he did not keep in touch with most of them. He returned to live in the muggle world and go to university after Hogwarts, and along with work he didn't have that much time to hang around with his friends. But now that he was back at Hogwarts, however, things would without a doubt change. He sipped from his coffee while Madlyn went on to tell him that she more or less got into teaching the same way he did. It was nice to see her again after all these years. ''Holy sh!t, you got married? Congratulations, Madlyn!'' Mitchell said, beaming up at the woman. He made a mental note to remind himself that he should go and buy her a gift later. ''So Chayton's the lucky guy? How's he doing?''

Last edited:
Madlyn laughs, she did not predict that sort of reaction. "Have you been hanging out with muggles all these years? Let me guess, that's the subject you landed on to teach?" The overgrown woman shook her head and laughed again. She smiles widely, "I'm the lucky one, he such a gentle soul. I'm not sure I would be here teaching if it were not for him. Chayton has kept me balanced and distracted from the danger of working with fire breathing dragons or runespoors if I were to ever encounter one that is. My family was always known to move around so I wouldn't be any different. I had to settle down and make something of myself in New Zealand," Madlyn spoke away, still very much living in the afterglow of the wedding. She can speak nonstop about Chayton and would never get tired of mentioning her husband. He was the yin to her yang, that is the simplest and the most authentic way to describe them. Nothing more, nothing less. "He good, he still likes to work with his hands. You should write to him sometimes, I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing a familiar face."

He nodded at the woman's comment and said, ''Pretty much, yes. I did work as a metal-charmer for a while but that was a side job really. I went into muggle politics. And yes, that's indeed the subject I'm going to be teaching here,'' with a smile. Mitchell hoped that he could learn the students more about muggles and their political systems. While the material he would discuss in his classes were all perfectly fine and well thought out, he did wish that the curriculum would focus more on the political side of the muggle world - perhaps someday in the future, when he had worked here for a couple of years, the Headmistress would give him permission to change the curriculum a bit. He listened to Madlyn while he sipped from his coffee every so often. The way how she was talking about her husband made Mitchell wish that he had someone with whom he shared such a connection with. ''What, you think that Chayton would still remember my face? It's been ages since we've last seen one another.'' It would be nice to see the part-giant again, however. Maybe he should invite them over for a drink during the next break.

Madlyn leans in closer, interesting to hear more what Mitchell had to share about his life, "A metal-charmer? Huh, The first time knowing someone who mingles in that kind of work, how was it?" Madlyn asked while she took another sip of ginger root brew. It was cooling way down, sooner or later she would need to reheat her mixture or be done with all. Madlyn was feeling alright, she didn't feel nauseating, and that was good enough for her to dump the brew altogether. "Ugh, politics, I try to stay away from that topic," Madlyn grimace, everything was politics these days. She wishes it wasn't though, she pretty much thrust into it when it comes to her rights and civil protection as a part-giant. Madlyn can't seem to avoid that. "Yeah, if his memory is any good as mine, I'm sure he will. It will do him good to have more friends too," Madlyn encouraged the man. Chayton was still very much shy, but at the very least he had a somewhat connection with Dederick. It's a good thing that both brothers-in-law get along, makes family gatherings fun, and eventful. "What about you, are you're married, Mitchell? Have any kids?"

He chuckled at Madlyn's comment on his former occupation. It was true that it was a rather obscure job but it was a fun one, he would miss the smell of the metal and the faulty golden snitches flying about the place. ''I will miss it for sure, but I'm confident that I will have a great time here, too,'' he told her. He did not agree with her view on politics and thought that everyone should get themselves involved in local and national politics, even if they thought that their voice wouldn't be heard. He would not discuss this with the woman now, however, as there was a time and place for politics, and early in the morning wasn't it. ''Perhaps I should write to him then, let him know that I am still alive,'' the professor said. Mitchell shook his head at the question. ''No, I'm still single and without children.'' While the man liked the idea of having children at some point, he sometimes had his hand full with his godchildren, and that was more than enough to deal with at the moment. Especially now that Apollo was a student at Hogwarts.

Madlyn nodded, she can agree with that despite that bleak part of her past here that happened at Hogwarts, it’s like coming back to your first home. A part of her past that was consistent even when your parents kept moving the whole family around. It’s like visiting an old friend when you’re all grown up and feeling all nostalgic with memories flooding back to you. “That, I can guarantee it, and if not, I’m sure Aeon or Monty will have you belly laughing with their silly antics. More Monty, than Aeon,” Madlyn chuckles. She insists that Mitchell writes to Chayton, really she can only see them getting along once her husband was comfortable with having company around. Good or bad, they won’t know until they tried meeting up. At the moment, something came over her. Suddenly she was struck by the nauseous monster again. Except for this time more overwhelming and the remedy's efforts were lost as Madlyn double over and hurl all the content in her stomach. All of it. It’s a good thing she only had toast and the tea that morning. Madlyn groans, cupping her mouth. She prays that was all of it.

Glad that she seemed to agree with him that working at Hogwarts would be just as much fun as his previous job, Mitchell sipped from his coffee. It was certainly nice to be back at the castle. He wondered if he would still know it as well as he used to do and if the secret passageways he found would still be working or not. God's, he had missed this place. Mitchell was surprised and a little disgusted at what happened next. He quickly stood up and found himself squatting next to the woman, a worried look on his face. ''Are you OK, Madlyn?'' he asked, though figured that he would know the answer to that question already. Not quite sure what he was supposed to do next, the man got out his wand and with a flick of his wrist cleaned up her stomach's content while keeping a close eye on her. ''Can I get you anything?'' he asked.

Madlyn appears to be both repulse and concern by the mess she made right in front of an old friend. Had it been someone else, they would be embarrassed and make excuses to leave Mitchell’s sight. She wasn’t embarrassed, it’s not like she had the plan to barf that morning to the very first person she struck up a conversation. Madlyn covers her mouth with her somewhat shaky hand, the nauseous monster bubbling below the surface. “I’m fine, I’m…,” Madlyn felt another rise surging, she does all that she can to keep the content down and spewing out her mouth. “Might, might you summon the school’s nurse for me? Josephine Arora, I don’t think it’s a good idea I keep moving, from the way I’m feeling. Josephine will know what to do, thanks.”

Mitchell nodded his head when she told him to summon one of the nurses and immediately left the common room to head up to the hospital wing. He didn't think that throwing up was that serious, it could just be the flu, but he got a feeling that Madlyn knew what was actually going on, which made him walk a bit faster because it could be something bad. When he reached the hospital wing he called for Josephine and told the woman to come with him to the staff room quickly.

Josephine was used to students dropping into the hospital wing with various injuries, often not explained properly as they feared getting in trouble for whatever they had been up to. But a professor barging in and calling for her was a less common occurrence. It was a bit sad it wasn't Angel this time, though she soon forgot about that thought as the new professor informed her of what had happened in the staff room. Josephine followed him there, armed with a few common potions. She felt like it would be best to move Madlyn Ateara to the Hospital Wing for a proper examination, but supposed the woman had felt too unsteady to walk all that way. She entered the staff room and moved to the tall woman's side. "Can you tell me what happened, exactly, and how you're feeling?" She asked her, looking her over carefully.

Madlyn thanked her old friend and when he leaves she thinks to brew that tonic that has kept her stomach at ease for the past weeks. It wouldn’t take long to make and she can...Madlyn searched her robes for her wand. The tall witch passed her hands up and down her robes, trying to find signs of her coconut wand. Guess she can’t use her wand and Mitchell returns to with Josephine who was right by her side. It forced her to give up her search momentarily. “Josephine, thank you for coming. This might just be ridiculous, but I’ve felt like this way before and there were some complications. I may have a case of the morning sickness and well, you know what that means…I hope...” Madlyn tells her, looking between Josephine and Mitchell. She aiming to be subtle, but that’s not an easy task to do for someone as big as her.

He wasn't sure whether he could do something to help the nurse out once they arrived at the staff room, so just stood to the side as Madlyn told Josephine what was going on. His worry was put to ease when the other professor told the nurse that it might be a case of morning sickness. It would still have to be determined, of course, but it was a relieve to hear that. Standing back to let the nurse do her thing, Mitchell waited patiently for when she would need something from him. For now, he hoped that his friend would be alright and that it indeed was morning sickness as opposed to something more serious.

Josephine was looking to see if there were any signs of illness or injury, and was surprised by the suggestion Madlyn made herself. Pregnancy hadn't been the first thing she had thought of, but Madlyn knew her own body best. She hesitated for a moment. "Well, I have pregnancy test potions in the hospital wing. Do you feel steady enough to head there with me?" She asked her. It would be difficult to support her, as tall as she was, so Josephine rather hoped she would be able to get herself to the hospital wing for a checkup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back