A Not So Triumphant Return

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
To say that Sophia was not pleased would be quite the understatement. It was early in the morning and she was in a wretched Slytherin uniform. Having sent her things ahead Shane apparated his sister into Brightstone Village and walked her personally to the gates of Hogwarts New Zealand. Sophia said nothing to her brother, instead turning on her heel and letting her long black hair flip around behind her before she walked to the castle doors.

Without a word Sophia entered the Great Hall and took a seat at the Slytherin table. She removed the messenger bag that had been draped around her torso and set it on the bench beside her. The noirette looked at no one, grabbing a book from the bag and opening it. Her pale face was expressionless as he gray eyes stayed locked on the place.

Sophia was not happy to be back at all. To her knowledge all of the friendships she had made disappeared when she left, and the sixth year did not expect to get them back anytime soon. It was looking to be a pretty lonely stay here at Hogwarts for Sophia Stark.

Coming of age had been a particularly noteworthy experience for Ford, not because of some sort of memorable festivity, but rather because he could now run his own life. He needn't follow the orders of his legal guardian, his invalid aunt. Immediately after turning seventeen, he had contacted the necessary authorities to transfer back to New Zealand; there was a specific professional quiddich club that had expressed interest in him and it was just a coincidence they wanted him to recieve his final year of schooling at his previous alma mater.

He strolled into the Great Hall lazily, eying the present faces casually. There were a few new ones, as to be expected, and some others he recognized. However, one face caught his eye quickly: Sophia. They hadn't spoken since they had each left and stopped talking. They had been dating when they left, but the situation was going to be...awkward...now.

He walked up to her with his usual bored expression, pondering how this would go. Best dive right in, he thought, he sat down at the table next to her. "Greetings," he opened dryly. He was fairly confused and upset that she hadn't spoken to him, and despite his best efforts it was leaking into the conversation. "Long time no see."

Sophia froze in shock at the sound of an all too familiar voice. Blinking her grey eyes she moved her gaze up to look at Ford, her expression holding some animosity now. Why was he here? One of the reasons Sophia had chosen to return to Hogwarts New Zealand instead of enrolling at Hogwarts in Britain was that Ford would not be here. But there he was, sitting beside her like nothing had happened.

"Hello Ford," she replied icily, her words dripping with disdain. "I thought you transferred to Britain.

All hopes at having a 'normal' conversation with Sophia were shot to hell, in Ford's mind. She was angry, about what, Ford had no idea. Probably the same hallucinated problem that had caused her to send the last letter.

Ford stiffened visibly, as if readying himself for a fight. He was getting thoroughly tired of all the drama this girl seemed to drag him into, and he had just previously thought that they were finally going to make it.

"And I thought you just dropped off the face of the Earth for no apparent reason," he said stonily, "Oh wait. You did."

"No apparent reason?" Sophia was definitely angry, especially about this accusation. She had explained things to Ford the best she could. Why could he not understand how hard it had been for her to run away like she did? The Slytherin snapped her book shut and set it on the table, turning her body to face Ford.

"I had good reasons for what I did and I explained them to you very clearly It is not my fault you are too dense to understand what I was going through. Sophia's voice was perhaps a bit loud for breakfast, but she did not care. Ford was being an ass, as per usual, and she was not about to let him get away with it this time. She glared at him, her silver eyes narrowed as she awaited an apology.

"Oh yes, very clearly," Ford mocked. If she was going to to this, he was not going to take it and let her be the haughty witch she pretended to be. "I forgot how well you described your paranoid delusions of another girl and incoherent ramblings of such things." She would not leave well enough alone, if she wanted to believe that Ford was seeing another girl while she had left to Vishnu only knew where, Ford wanted no part of it.

Sophia's mouth dropped open instinctively as she heard what Ford said. This was certainly not what she had signed up for, at all. Why did Shane want her to come back here exactly?

"Paranoid delusions?!" Sophia suddenly realized how loud she was and leaned in closer to Ford, dropping her voice. "I had no delusions. I came to Hogsmeade to surprise you and saw you there with another girl."

Ford laughed loudly, "Oh no!" He exclaimed in false surprise and leaned back, what was it to him if the entire school discovered the perilous depths of her lunacy. Ford was dreadfully tired of the girl next to him and itched for her to get her due. "I was talking to another girl." He snapped, "Of course you are too full of yourself to believe that."

Rage was filling the Slytherin as she observed Ford. The fact that she had ever liked this insipid boy was grating on Sophia. What had she been thinking? Well, she had come to her senses and certainly did not like him now.

Without a second thought Sophia drew her left arm back and moved to strike Ford, intending to slap him across the face. The idea of using magic had not really crossed the Slytherin's mind. She wanted to inflict pain and this was the fastest way.

Ford had never been good at physical altercations, but usually found himself on the receiving end of beatings of various sorts. The most common of which was getting slapped across the face. He had once pondered where this subconscious desire came from and where it'd lead him to, but he didn't make it too far. Thinking of such things was not his strong point.

However, since his only options when he saw Sophia's hand move to slap him were to take it, duck, get her first, or push over the bench to cause her to fall backwards. Considering the last three options required physical strength and dexterity, Ford opted for the first. When the slap landed, Ford's torso was tossed loosely to the side. As he returned to his upright position, he grinned deviously.

"Can't think of anything else to say so we resort to violence? How did I ever think you were intelligent?"

Estrella found herself reaping the consequences of the rather erratic sleep schedule she had had over break. As if being totally out of whack with her much cherished slumber wasn't enough, she had spent most of the night chatting with her fellow Ravenclaws about their Holidays. By the time she had dragged herself to bed, the sun was already making its way over the mountains.

As a result, she found herself in the Great Hall, her head drooping. She had barely touched her oatmeal, being so tired that her stomach did not agree with her. A groan bubbled quietly out of her throat as she heard two people arguing. The girl sat still, hoping to Merlin that some prefect, or maybe even Bruin would intervene. However, she was not so lucky. Irritation was blatant across her expression as she lugged herself from the bench, trying to keep her posture as straight as possible as she made her way through the tables and over to the couple.

"What seems to be the problem?" she asked sharply, her eyes narrowing as she attempted to focus on the two. She didn't even want to think about having to go to class in an hour's time. Her mouth fell open as she realized who they were.

After a moment her parted lips closed pressed back together, as she continued to look on in bewilderment. "I didn't know either of you were back," was all she managed to say. She knew that recalling their names out loud was not only wearisome, but would just sound plain stupid. Her eyes darted slowly between both Sophia and Ford, awaiting a response from either of them. Sophia, from the last that she had known, had ran off to live with her brother, and she had heard that Ford had moved to Hogwarts Scotland. Was it pure happenstance that both happened to return to Hogwarts New Zealand, at the same time?

Sophia was glaring at Ford, her grey eyes filled with hate. She opened her mouth to respond to his stupid comment but was cut off by another familiar voice. Snapping her mouth shut Sophia turned her gaze on her cousin. Ford was lucky Estrella had decided to intervene. Just because she was no longer a pyrokinetic did not mean Sophia was not still fierce.

The Slytherin really had no good answer to give to Estrella. The problem was that she did not want to be here, and she certainly did not want to deal with Ford.

"No problem, I was just leaving." The noirette grabbed her book in one hand and her messenger bag in the other before standing and turning to leave the Great Hall.

Ford should not have been surprised to see Estrella standing by he and Sophia, but her appearance was rather sudden and ruined the pace of their banter. Chagrined but not beaten, Ford's cocky attitude did not disappear. Sophia, as per usual, was cutting out when given the first opportunity. This action frustrated Ford, not so much because she was actually doing it, but that he had put up with her for so long.

"Didn't you miss this?" He flashed a cocky smile towards Estrella before returning his attentions to Sophia, "What's the matter? Can't light anyone on fire, so you're running?"

Sophia had started walking toward the door, but she stopped in her tracks when she heard Ford's comment. She turned on her heel to face him once again, her long black hair whipping around behind her. The sixth year's brows were furrowed as she glared at Ford. She wanted to badly to curse him or kick him in the groin, something to cause him immense amounts of pain. But Estrella, who was no doubt still a Prefect, was standing right there. The last thing Sophia needed was to get in trouble on her first day back.

"You are utterly pathetic and I would rather not be in your presence if I can help it." With that Sophia turned once more, her hair flipping around behind her, and headed toward the exit. She hoped Ford would not retaliate further, but the Slytherin knew chances were that he would.

Estrella's brow furrowed as she looked back to the seemingly frustrated couple. Well, they couldn't rather be called a couple anymore, but back in the old days, they had always been together. She couldn't begin to know what the argument was about, but on second thought, she really didn't want to know. Dating drama was not a field she cared to delve in. Her eyes wandered between the two as they exchanged conversation. Sophia, obviously, wanted to leave, but for some reason Ford couldn't keep his mouth shut.

She decided not to comment to Ford, as she wasn't really sure what he thought she was missing. Feeling a little more than awkward, she responded, "Alright then. Just making sure there's no trouble." She knew that with the Head Girl's badge pinned to her chest she had every right to investigate, but even then she felt out of place checking up on her peers. The Ravenclaw backed away from the Slytherin table and started for her own, determined to finish her breakfast. Merlin knew she would need the energy.

Ford observed the two girls, disappointed that this was turning out to be a rather mundane encounter after all. Ford was, by some bizarre twist of fate, one who liked to create an absurd situation and see where it goes. In many cases, where it went was a slap to his face. Additionally, he was genuinely upset with Sophia, she always placed the blame elsewhere. Nevermind she was just as crazy in the head as anyone else.

"And yet here you are," he said, his voiced drenched with self-importance, "You always seem to find yourself around me. Why is that?" He rubbed a stubbled chin inquisitively, "Perhaps you are lying to yourself about your feelings. I think you want nothing more than to be with me again, but are too proud to say it." He finished, leaning back with a smug look plastered on his face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back