A flight of fancy.

Rukevra Vanderzuk

Having spent several weeks in-side the walls of the Hogwarts castle, Ruki hadn't felt any different than he had at Durmstrang. Laying upon his newest bed, Ruki stared at the celling; and wondered what it was he was supposed to do with his future. Trying not to think about his parents again, the fifth year rolled onto his side; and caught the reflection of his Sienna Storm within one of the mirrors in the dorm-room. Sitting up, Ruki knew what he was going to do today. The future would just have to wait. Collecting a pair of gloves from a drawer, Ruki pulled his broom from beneath the bed and set about leaving the Gryffindor common-room.

After a short time walking through the castle, Ruki stepped out-side into the warmth of the sun. Smiling at the thought of soaring through the clear skies, Ruki made his way towards the Quidditch pitch.

Upon reaching the pitch, Ruki's thoughts jumped back to the team try-outs he had blown slightly some days before. Being pencilled in as a Chaser meant he would have to try harder than when he played for the Durmstrang team. Back then, his flight time was spent idly floating around the pitch. Being offered the Seeker position he tried for would have suited him perfectly within the Gryffindor team.

Angling his broom away from him slightly, Ruki wrapped his right leg around the length of wood and pushed his left leg from the ground. It may seem like a weird way to take to the air, but it was much quicker than mounting.

Patricia lay up in her common room, bored, unsure of what to do, she hated this feeling. For the past few weeks Patricia had completely removed herself from all kinds of interaction apart from the odd class and Quidditch try – outs. But no, she wanted to talk to her friends again, but as she had figured, it wasn’t as easy as she would have liked it to be. Having finished all of her homework Patricia eyed up the bulletin board. The Quidditch sign – up sheet was still there, Patricia couldn’t wait for the final line – up to be posted, but she had a sinking feeling that she would only be a sub this year. Having tried out for beater – not her forte at all – she wouldn’t put it past Violet for letting one of the boys taking the position instead.

Finally forcing herself to get up of her lazy position on the couch in front of the fire Patricia yawned. Checking the time she saw that it was still early in the afternoon. What was wrong with her? She had gotten far too lazy for her liking recently, cutting her jog in the morning down to only a short brisk walk to the lake a back. Going up to her room to see if she had something, anything to do. Homework? Ideas for the Cooking Cl- The Conglomerated Arts Club (something that was hard for her to get used too). But there was nothing. Sighing she sat down on her bed and looked at herself in the mirror, she looked tired and pale, probably from all that pointless crying she thought to herself. After talking to Niccy she had began to realise that she had approached the whole situation of Kalif being her father the wrong way, but she still didn’t like it.

In the mirror Patricia saw a glint of purple, following the light her tired eyes landed upon her broom. Smiling to herself she knew exactly what she was going to do to relieve her boredom, flying! Grabbing her broom Patricia made her way down to the Quidditch Pitch, a spring in her step. Patricia enjoyed flying and had done since her first year at Hogwarts, having always wanted to fly before discovering the magical world it was one of the more memorable moments in the past four years.

Arriving at the Quidditch Pitch Patricia groaned lightly as she saw someone else was there. Of course there would be someone else here she thought to herself, what with Quidditch season looming, everyone would be putting in as much extra practice as possible. Realising this as a perfect opportunity to try out her people skills, which were considerably more rusty that she was used too, she mounted her broom and kicked off into the clear blue spring sky. Taking a breath she tried to figure out the best way to start a conversation with the boy. Flying a bit closer so she wouldn’t have to shout across the pitch she said the first thing that sounded half decent, “Don’t mind some company do you?” she asked, hoping he wouldn’t mind some company.

Moving through the sky with relative ease, Ruki began to loosen himself up; shaking away all of the dreams he had been having about his parents. The exhilaration he always felt whilst on his broom would dis-allow any other thoughts to be processed. Barrel rolling to the side, Ruki picked up a little speed. He had decided to re-fly through his try-out and see where he had went wrong. Although trying for two positions, and having to chase down the Snitch may have been the reason for his three minuets.

Navigating his way through the hoop poles once again, Ruki pulled the handle of his Storm to the left; and forced his left leg to the right. Every time he performed this manoeuvre, Ruki became efficient at it. Allowing him to turn sharply at a split seconds notice, Ruki grinned at the thought of having a signature move.

Heading towards the centre of the pitch, Ruki rose higher and higher; before leading forward and thundering into a dive. The thrill and excitement of the round rushing up to meet him simply couldn't be beat. After several climbs and dives, Ruki idly floated around the field. Any earlier worry no longer present. Not aware of the figure closing in on him, Ruki turned; slightly startled at the sound of a voice. Catching the sight of a fellow flyer, Ruki smiled politely. "Company would be most wonderful.". Even though he was under-confident, Ruki wasn't the shy type. Knowing he needed to fit into the newest school, Ruki decided to participate in as much meet and great as he could. After all, there was no reason to waste all of the years he had spent at upper-class parties.

Patricia's smile widened when the boy agreed to her company. Step one, not too bad she thought to herself. She found it strange having to plan every movement in her plan of action before she did it - she never had to do that when talking to new people. The only time the Hufflepuff teen would plan every step out would be at Quidditch so she shrugged off the feeling, putting it down to the familiar surroundings. Relaxing on her broom a bit more she let it sway genitally in the breeze, easing off on her hold of the broom. Not so much that she would fly away but just enough to feel relaxed as possible.

Feeling her posture slip a bit she got comfortable on the broom and the feeling of relaxation fell over her. Almost as soon as she got comfortable in the broom she sat up, like a bolt. The feeling of relaxation - one that many loved - had been making her jumpy as of late. After the most recent Defence Against the Dark Arts class, every time Patricia felt relaxed she remembered her state of relaxation under the Imperius Curse, which had in turn given her a few nightmares - the shear thought of what one could do under that curse and how easy she succumb to it, had given her a few sleepless or a the least, restless nights.

Sorting out her thoughts she brought herself back to reality, not wanting to give the boy the wrong impression of herself on their first meetings - if she kept up like this it would probably be their only meeting. "Patricia Rogers. Fourth Year Hufflepuff." she said, stretching out her hand to the boy. He definitely didn't look familiar so Patricia thought it would be best to get the introductions over and done with first.

As if on cue, the girl beside him made her introductions. Ruki had allowed this particular lesson to become a faded memory. Everyone within these walls had so far gave him their names first. Ruki nodded slightly towards the girl, as he continued to aimlessly float. A fourth year. She was in the year below him. Any future plans for home-work assistance would have to wait. Knowing it was polite to respond, Ruki spoke to the girl. "I am Rukevra Vanderzuk. Gryffindor I believe.". Ruki was still yet un-sure of the reasoning behind the four separate houses. Smiling at the girl, Ruki extended his own hand and shook hers.

Not having seen the girl before, Ruki questioned her. "Would I be rude in asking what brings you into the skies?". To some people, he may have seemed slightly forward with his questions; but when he felt care-free, Ruki was happy to discuss anything to pass the time.

Patricia furrowed her eyebrows as the boy said his name. She repeated it to herself to be sure she could say it right, it was an unusual name, definitely one she had never heard before. “Now from around here are you?” she asked with a small laugh. Not only did the name give it away, but he also didn't seem to sure about the houses, a sure sign of a transfer. That and he looked too old to be a first year. Patricia shook the boys hand and after an appropriate amount of time had passed she removed her hand and placed it on her broom shaft again, regaining all balance – even though she was very keen on a broom now.

Shaking her head Patricia gave a light laugh when the boy asked her why she was there, “No you wouldn't be rude at all.” she started off, slightly surprised by the boys politeness, it wasn't something seen in too many boys now-a-days. Continuing she said, “Boredom, I guess is the main culprit for me being out here today. And yourself?” she returned his question.

Smiling, Ruki shook his head towards the girl. In truth, he wasn't from around anywhere. Ruki had spent most of his life moving from country to country, he simply felt un-attached. Un-able to call anywhere home. "You are correct.". Listening to the girls words, and question, Ruki gave very little thought to an answer. "I require a sense of freedom. And a little fun.". And with that, Ruki tilted his Storm forward and took off towards the South end of the pitch.

Patricia gave the boy a small smile, in all honestly she felt sorry for any of the transfers that Hogwarts gained every year – and the number seemed to rise every year. It must be hard for them to leave their home, their school, their friends and any family that they may have to leave behind too. And on top of that they have to completely start all over again at Hogwarts, new teachers, new students, new curriculum in some cases, new school completely, heck some transfers have to get used to the idea about houses – she assumed Ruki was one of them.

Hearing his answer she let a small laugh escape her lips, it was not a typical answer she would expect to hear, but a very plausible one nonetheless. Once he finished his answer was about to bring up an other conversation topic, anything to keep talking, Ruki seemed like an interesting character – one Patricia wouldn’t mind calling a friend. But before she could let a word slip from her lips she saw the boy fly off to the other end of the pitch. Her mouth formed a small ‘O’ but laughed, remembering how he said he liked a little fun. Smirked she leaned forward on her broom and started to follow him. She quickly gained on him and with enough distance between them for him to hear her she called out, “If it’s a race you want all you had to do was ask.” With each word getting closer and closer to him and by the last word she had over taken him slightly. Turning her head she gave a small wink and called, “Catch me if you can.” Her laughs being carried by the rushing wind and with that she leaned forward a little bit more and was off with the wind.

Seconds had almost past when Ruki heard the girls voice behind him, and then saw her appear to his side. Ruki was never fast upon a broom, and was still slightly rusty with his skill level. Without a chance to respond, Ruki watched the girl edge her way in front; giving a cheeky wink, before setting down a challenge. If she wished to be caught, he would most certainly oblige.

Ruki heard the sound of her laughter, something which rang through his ears even though it was interrupted by the wind. It was almost impossible for Ruki to remember the last time he had laughed. Or even heard laughter. The memory of his mother was a faded one. His parents had changed.

Knowing he may not be as fast as the younger girl, Ruki leaned forward; pushing his body closer to his broom, before following the girl ahead.

Patricia pushed forward as hard as she could, she had just been lucky getting ahead of Ruki, the element of surprise was on her side. But he was an older, much bigger boy, surely it wouldn't take him long to catch up with her. But after reaching the half way point of the pitch she dared another look behind to see how close - or far - Ruki was from her. She was surprised to see that he was still a bit behind her. Smiling she leaned forward again for the final hurdle.

She figured that she must be somewhat more agile on a broom, due to her slenter figure, why did I change from chaser to beater? she thought to herself. She was a good chaser, she was fast on her broom, she would surely fail her team as beater - depite having done well at tryouts. Pulling back on her broom as she reached the goal hoops she turned it to face Ruki, laughing she called out, "You know if you needed a head start all you had to do was ask." she said, sticking her tounge out playfully.

lame >.<

Still attempting to catch up to the girl, Ruki scowled at the lack of effort he had put in to Quidditch at Durmstrang. The leaching effect the walls had upon anyone's soul was enough to drain even a giants energy.

As he finally caught up to the girl, Ruki caught her words. Smiling, the transfer caught an air of fun escaping from her; visualised by her tongue. Ruki knew he arrived at the correct school. He wouldn't let his parents remove him from this one. "It is customary for a gentleman to allow a lady to win.". Ruki attempted a bow whilst perched upon his broom, grinning as he did so.

"It may seem I require practice before the Quidditch games begin.". Ruki felt his shoulders droop slightly. If he wasn't good enough, he would disappoint Andromeda once more.

Not lame Trishy-bum. :hug:

^_^

Patricia waited for Ruki to finally catch up with her. She relaxed herself on her broom slightly, now not caring about the horrible feeling she got when she felt relaxed after her previous Defence Against the Dark Arts class. When Ruki caught up she heard the words come out of his mouth. She simply rolled her eyes, "Typical." she said with a light snort. "Boys are all the same. Bad losers" she said with a laugh.

Patricia frowned when Ruki said he needed more practice before Quidditch started. "What position do you play?" she asked, wondering if she may be able to give him any tips, she had played two out of the four possible positions and was about to try out her third.

Hearing her words, Ruki laughed. Seconds past before he sat up-right. The darkened soul had laughed. And he had enjoyed it. Any inner worry that remained, be it his parents; his lack of a home; his lessons, simply blew away upon the breeze. Ruki turned his broom to the right, and lightly moved to the left; as if drifting around the young girl.

Her next words held a question for him. Sighing a little at not being Seeker, Ruki answered. "They stuck me as a Chaser.". He hated the position now. "I guess I took too long in try-outs to be a Seeker.". Ruki couldn't understand why. It wasn't as if the Snitch would be caught in under two minuets. Looking towards the girl, Ruki asked her a question of his own. "Do you play?". Maybe he would at least see the fun and bubbly girl during games.

Patricia gave Ruki a questioning look. "Stuck you as a Chaser?" she replied back in surprise. "What's wrong with being a Chaser?" she asked to further her question. Normally everyone wanted to be a Chaser, it was on of the more active positions in the team and you were always moving, whereas with the rest you didn't have to move too much, just enough so you never fell asleep on your broom. Patricia wondered if that ever happened before.

When Ruki returned a question she smiled brightly and nodded her head, "Indeed I do. Ever since first year." she said happily, she was so happy that she was one of the small few that could actually say that. "I tried out for beater this year, kind of regretting it now." she grimaced at the thought of having to hit bludger after bludger every game - and possibly being hit herself. "But we'll see. I'm not even sure if I made the team - the list isn't up yet." she continued.

Viewing a seemingly puzzled look upon the girls face, Ruki tilted his head slightly. "I was never one for actively chasing during my time at Durmstrang.". Ruki shuddered at the word. "The institute held a certain.. ..atmosphere about it. I usually spent my time floating along the pitch instead of playing; often falling asleep. I was an easy target for Bludgers.". Ruki gave Patricia a smile. "It would seem games at this school will involve a little more activity. Something I am not sure I could keep up with.".

Ruki turned his head, and looked out across the pitch. It was certainly a sight to take in. "I may have to request you go easy on me if you make Beater.". Ruki turned towards the young girl once more.

Patricia listened to Ruki talk, she noticed how uncomfortable he felt when talking about Durmstrang. Patricia had heard stories from it, it sounded like a truely horrid place but she was never one to pry when people seemed uncomfortable about it in the first place. She knew people had boundaries and she respected that. Despite the warm summers day Patricia could feel a chill in the air as Ruki spoke about his previous school, so much so that she felt a shudder go down her own spine. Words like institute were not words one would use to describe a happy place with fond memories.

When Ruki finished talking Patricia gave him a small grimace, "I wouldn't worry about it. Surely Andy and Kat are having practise sessions?" she said, more of a statement than a question. "You'll have plenty of time to improve your game before the Quidditch season starts." she said reassuringly. "Ahh, I can't keep any promises, don't think my team would be too happy about that." she said with a playful wink. "But I'll see what I can do." she said, a sweet smile forming on her lips.

Watching the girl grimace, Ruki thought back over what he had said. Surely he hadn't been impolite towards her. Catching her tone as she spoke, Ruki turned away once more. Andromeda. The girl he had helped. The girl who had saved him from the Cruciatus Curse. The girl who had taken him in. She was angry at him. Ruki felt deflated once more, as he recalled his disappointment within himself. "I believe a notice was handed out about practice. I shall have to wander along on the day. Improvement is always desired.". Ruki gave a slight smile towards Patricia.

Ruki once more began to feel relaxed, as the young girl hovering in the skies beside him appeared to accept him as a person. His confidence lifted slightly. Smiling as he listened to the young girls words, Ruki felt it was a shame the two would be on opposing teams. "I feel at least my team would be.". Ruki grinned slightly. A Bludger free game may allow him to at least score once. Anything to have Andromeda forgive him.

Patricia observed the older boy. Within the short period of time that she had known him - which lets face wasn't very long at all - she had noticed his mood was prone to change. One minute he would be laughing and joking with her, but other times - like now for instance - he would grimace. Patricia wondered what was on his mind when he was like this, but she didn't want to pry, that was people's own business and shouldn't be made to divulge things that would make them uncomfortable.

When he finished his sentence Patricia smiled back, "Improvement is always a great thing. But don't worry about it if you're not 100% perfect first game. You have to be given time to settle in, new school, surroundings and all that jazz." she said, trying to sound reassuring without being patronising, there was a fine line between the two and far too many times people crossed it. "And hey look, I was a chaser, albeit not the best, last year, maybe I could give you a few tips." she said with a friendly smile.

Laughing at his persistence the young Hufflepuff laughed and said, "I said I can't keep an promised. But if you behave yourself there's no reason for any bludgers to be heading your way in the first place." she said, whistling innocently, hoping Ruki would get that what she meant - that if he kept away from the Quaffle she wouldn't hit any bludgers his way.

Hovering above the pitch had allowed Ruki chance to forget who he was. He was certain any more time alone in his dorm-room would drive him to insanity. The voice of the girl drifted once more across his ears. Ruki focused his eyes upon hers. "I'm trying to settle. The surroundings, however, don't appear to be happy with me arriving.". If his feelings continued on the path they where on, Ruki knew he would end up giving in to his parents wish.

"Tips would be wonderful.". Ruki gave the girl a faint smile. He had almost forgotten about Quidditch. "I suppose I shall avoid all contact with the Quaffles then.". Ruki's smile widened. There was no chance that would happen.

Patricia laughed at the boys retort, she had never met anyone like him - he was a certain breath of fresh air around the school. She didn't mean this in a bad way, far from it, he was so much more politer than the rest of the boys of Hogwarts New Zealand and seemed to be more mature compared to other boys she knew. "Well you're just going to have to try harder." she said in a playful manner. "But give it time, its still early days." she said reassuingly. "I wasn't always the natural that I am today." she with a playful wink.

Patricia nodded her head when Ruki said tips would be wonderful, she thought for a moment but lot her train of thought when he spoke again. Patricia laughed at his comment, "Haha, you wish." she said still laughing. "Right lets see, tips.." she pondered for a moment. "Try and stay agile on your broom, obviously." she said with a shrug as that would be one of the most basic things for a chaser. "Don't always look out for the Quaffle, keep it your main prority, but be aware of the bludgers," she said with a sly smile, "And the other teams chasers, they may try to gang up on you, leaving your team-mates vulnerable." she added, "And I suppose, teamwork, is a big thing, not just for the chasers though, but do remember, your other chasers are there, if you're free make yourself known to the other chasers and don't hog the Quaffle." she finished simply, but doubted that would be the case with Ruki.

Over his four years at Durmstrang, Ruki had interacted with a number of people; most of whom where even more distant; dark; and troubled than he was. The words of the girl played on his ears. 'Try harder'. Ruki knew he would have to. Becoming a death eater was not on his agenda. Catching the girls wink, Ruki smiled. There was something different about her, compared to those he had met recently.

Listening closely to each of her tips, Ruki thought about each one before commenting. "I was always un-interested at Durmstrang. Un-motivated. Maybe I'll feel more agile here though.". His voice held a saddened tone. "Who knew Quaffle watching would be a bad thing.". Ruki shrugged his own shoulders, taking in the sly smile of the younger girl. Maybe he should switch to Beater himself. "Being ganged up on is not new. I assume physical contact here is not permitted, however?". Ruki half-asked the question. The darkened walls of the institute most certainly wasn't a walk through a flower garden. "Team-work is a simple achievement. I can slot in where required.". The young boy gave another smile. He had certainly given a lot today.

No longer contempt with hovering, Ruki turned his broom to face the opposite end of the pitch. "Care to accompany me?". Ruki felt stupid for asking. There was no-where, other than the skies they already occupied, to go.

Patricia took in each of Ruki comments on her tips, she really did hope they would come in useful for the future Chaser, but then again she hoped they didn't work out too well - she wouldn't want to see Hufflepuff beat by Gryffindor again. As she listened to the boy she got a small insight to what his previous life at Durmstrang must have been like for him, sure a lot of people weren't interested or motivated in school, but his tone of voice said so much more than that.

Patricia felt appalled when Ruki said being ganged up on is not new, Patricia felt overwhelming sorrow for the boy, no one should go through life with any sort of trouble like that. From experience Patricia was only ever ganged up on once, in her first year (although she was lucky she could now call those people friends) but even then it was not a pleasant experience. Although, having only just met the boy Patricia felt it was crossing a fine line to ask him to divulge more information on his past, so she kept quiet.

Patricia watch Ruki turn on his broom, she wondered if he was just going to leave like that, although it wouldn't actually surprise her - he was rather mysterious from what she could tell. Smiling at his question Patricia flew over to where he was, "Is it going to be another race or do you care to keep what's left of your dignity?" She asked with a bright smile.

Listening to the younger girl's question, Ruki thought about a race. "How about we make it interesting?". Ruki turned his head towards her. "The latter of us whom reaches the North hoops has to assist the former during a Quidditch game.". It was certainly an interesting proposition. Do you win to receive a favour; or lose to give one.

Allowing himself to relax into his broom, Ruki awaited her response.

Patricia listened to Ruki's question, her eyes full of interest. As she was about to ask what he had in mind, Ruki had already began to talk again. Weighing up his offer Patricia nodded her head, it was an interesting offer. Patricia wasn't usually one for beating but it sounded like fun. "You're on." she said with an evil grin as she leaned forward on her broom, zooming ahead of Ruki. She knew how she wanted the outcome of the race to go and she was going to make sure she got what she wanted.

The relaxed older student watched the girl nod in response. "You're on.". Almost as soon as the words had left her lips, the younger girl set off away from him. Having anticipated her actions, Ruki pushed the tip of his broom down-wards and followed. This wasn't going to be a race he lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back