13 Bass Lane

Montague Prince

With a loud and tell-tale pop, Montague apparated into his living room. Outside, snow was blowing in a rather loud and windy storm, however it was rather warm inside thanks to a few choice muggle inventions to which Montague had taken a liking. He flicked his wand, which had at ready, turning off a few interior security measures. In his other hand he held onto a large suitcase which belonged to his niece, Sophia. "Here we are," he said and pocketed his wand.

Sophia looked around at the living room, frowning. She had hoped that seeing her uncle, or his house, would bring back some memories from her childhood, but neither had. Turning she looked up at her uncle with as blank an expression she could muster. Lately her face had been laden with a hint of sadness she could not shake off.

"Thank you," she said softly with a nod. Sophia stood and looked aorund, unsure of what else to do.

Montague hoped that Sophia would cheer up with Morgase's return, her mood had been ever since Montague had picked her up, and most likely before he got there, too. He had no idea what had caused this depression, Sophia had always been rather quiet, but this was an extreme he hadn't seen before. "I will take care of your things, would you like anything to eat or drink?"

Sophia turned to look at her uncle and tried to smile weakly. "No thank you." She had not been eating much since the Yule Ball and was not hungry now. "When will my mother be back?" That was all Sophia could really think about was speaking with her mother. She had so many questions for her and her mind was aching to know the answers.

"She will be back shortly," Montague explained, "She wanted to run an errand or two quickly." Never having had to raise a child himself, Montague was not really good with kids, however he remembered enough from having a teenage sister to know that he should leave Sophia alone for now. "You can make yourself comfortable wherever you wish, Sophia," he said. With a flick of his wand he levitated her things, "If you need me just shout," he smiled kindly and walked upstairs with his niece's items.

Sophia nodded and walked over to a chair, taking a seat and removing her messenger bag from her torso. She set the bag on the floor beside her and withdrew from it a book. Opening the book Sophia pulled out the letter she had from her mother in which she had admitted that Sophia's memory had been tampered with. She looked over the letter, rereading it for the hundredth time. At the sound of a pop Sophia looked up, not surprised to see her mother.

Morgase apparated into the living room and was pleased to see Sophia sitting on a chair. She set her parcel down on the floor and sat down on the couch across from Sophia. "Hello Darling," she said with a warm smile.

Sophia returned the letter to the book and closed it, setting it on top of her messenger bag. "Hello Mother," she responded quietly, calmly. "Can we skip the pleasantries and get to the questions? I will feel much better once I can get those out of the way."

Morgase's smile twisted into a smirk. Sophia did not seem to have changed too much since she had last seen her. "Yes of course. But I cannot promise answers to all of your questions. With me breaking off from the Death Eaters my whereabouts must be kept a secret. It should probably not be known to your father that you spoke to me at all. If I tell you too much, he may find out. But I will answer to the best of my ability."

Sophia nodded in understanding, but she was not pleased with the answer she had gotten. She desperately wanted to know everything, but she understood her mother's need for safety.

"All right. Well, what was erased from my memory? Why?" She did not anticipate complete answers, but at least her mother could explain somewhat.

Morgase sighed. "I figured that was coming. Of course I cannot tell you everything. There is something that happened in your childhood that your father did not want you to ever know about. He has done a lot to protect that. You have already found out part of that secret though, that he is a Death Eater. But I can guarantee you he will not be pleased if you discover the other part.

"Your father wanted you to be obedient and...easy to deal with. I was still under his influence at that time, and am sorry to say that I modified your memory myself. I do believe though that you can and will figure it out on your own."

Anger sparked inside Sophia, melting away the cold sadness she had been feeling for a few days. "That is it? That is all you can tell me? You erased something from my memory that has to do with Father being a Death Eater, which I already know, and you cannot tell me anything else, but you are certain I will figure it out? How could I possibly figure this out with no more clues than that?"

Sophia crossed her arms over her chest and looked away from her mother. She knew it was not entirely her mother's fault, but she was not at all happy with the answers she had gotten.

Morgase merely smirked at her daughter, not at all surprised by her reaction. "In time it will all make sense Darling. In time. Come on, I'll show you to your room." Morgase stood and led a reluctant Sophia to her bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back