You Lose And Then You Gain

"Sorry to hear about your dad. I never knew my real parents. All I have ever known is Mother and Morgan. She said hoping to make him feel a little better. Ruby didn't think she looked fine at all but she couldn't do anything now that she had been pulled away from her refection. "People will turn from me if I do not look right. They will laugh I know they will please let me go back." She begged with wide eyes. She was already a porcine doll most of the time but she didn't see herself as such. All she saw where flaws that where not there. Ruby rushed to one of the tables and started to dig through her bag. She had a mirror in there somewhere and a brush but her shaky mind wouldn't let her find them. It was just as well. It seemed like it was one of those times where she was likely to hurt herself on accident.

Kennedy rolled his eyes, and he followed Ruby to a table. He stood over Ruby. He watched sadly as she rummaged through her purse. He grabbed both of her hands to stop her from searching for whatever she was looking for. "Please Ruby. You look fine, gorgeous even. Why would I lie to you?" he asked. How hurt he was clearly showed in his deep brown eyes. She said she trusted him, but she did believe that she was pretty. She was beautiful, and she did not even see it.

Ruby looked up at Kennedy and saw that he was hurt, that she had hurt him. "I am sorry you are right by not taking your word I am calling you a lier which you are not." She said quickly, her breath was out of control. Looking up at him though her panic started to trickle away from her. She closed her eyes trying to calm her anxiety. Her heart stopped beating as if she had run a mile. "That had to be strange right? I tend to panic sometimes for no reason and I don't know why." She said looking down. Now it was Kennedy to decide if he still wanted to be friends with a girl that was so damaged.

Kennedy let go of Ruby's hands and plopped down in a chair at the table. He saw that handling Ruby was going to be a challenge. Not that he did not mind a challenge, but he just hoped he would not lose his temper with her. Ever. It was horrible when he got angry. He could trash a whole house with just one of his tantrums. He did not understand how he had the lowest tolerance level in his family. He was the oldest. He should be the example, but instead he was an emotional and lonely sibling.Kennedy banged his fist on the table. He did not even hear what Ruby said. He placed his face in his hands, so he could hide his face. He was just a horrible brother. I horrible person. "I just want to be better." he said into his hands. He did not know what he was going to do with himself.

Ruby saw Kennedy slump into his chair and put his face in his hands and it was Ruby's turn to comfort. "If the dragon where better than he was then the skies themselves would quiver in his wake." She said as she wrapped her arms around his shoulders from behind. Ruby, until the final days when the house made her brittle, had been a very cuddley person, giving hugs and kisses on the cheek. It seemed like Kennedy needed some contact with someone so Ruby brought that back in herself even though there was a part of her that was afraid that she would be pushed away or worse. She owed him that much for being not turning away from her when she had started to freak out.

Kennedy felt Ruby's arms around him. It made him feel better knowing someone was there for him. Ruby's comforting embrace soothed him. All the thoughts of being a better brother left his mind. It was strange that he and his new friend seemed to both have problems. Kennedy's may not be as severe as hers, but he took all his problems to heart. Criticism was like a huge dagger being stabbed into him. Even it if was problem that could be simply fixed. He would freak out and start acting like a child. Kennedy placed a hand on Rue's arm. He did not get what she said, but he decided to say thank you. "Sorry about that Rue. That was a minor mood swing." he said lamely. He felt quite emb that he had a minor moment with his new friend, but she couldn't abandon him now. He wouldn't let her.

Ruby held him all the tighter. "I get then too. It is like my mind can not put together what is happening and throws me into a panic. At those times I just need someone to hold me so I thought it might work for you. I called you a dragon by the way." She said with a giggle at the end. She thought him as a dragon, strong, proud, fierce and highly protective. "If that is ok with you of course." She added to the end. She could feel a bit of her old airy self coming back to her. It was take a while, who knew how long, to put herself back together to who she used to be. She hoped that Kennedy would be here help her hold the pieces together as metaphorical glue dried. In return she would hold him down as steady as she good while she learned to ride the winds again.

Kennedy chuckled. He had never been this close to a girl. At least not in a comforting way like this. He used to cling on to his brother so bad that it prevented the two from dating. "I think I like that. Being called a dragon. As long as I am not a lion." he said. Then he would be too much like his brother. He did not know if Ruby remembered when he mentioned his brother. If so, he would not say anything about him while around her. He would avoid the topic. If she did not remember that that would be great on his part. "You still want butterbeer, right?"

Ruby nodded then took her seat again, this time crossing her legs and draping the skirt of her dress over her knees. It would take a while for Ruby to stop her mechanical self imposed regulations. Though sitting here with Kennedy it wasn't so bad. t helped to imagine that if someone made her cry now it would be hell one Kennedy's part. It was rare when she felt protected like this and she wanted to keep that feeling. "No not lion. Lions are strong but they are lazy and depend on their lioness. You seem to be the type who would have others depend on you but only a select few. No a dragon suites you more or so I think." She said with a glittering smile that she hadn't warn in a long while. "Good thing we stopped here too, I'm thirsty." She said which translated into I'm hungry but would deny herself until she got home and got the smallest portion possible.

Kennedy watched at Ruby took a seat. He frowned at how she had to sit so perfectly. How could someone aim to be perfect. To him it was the craziest thing ever. No one was perfect. Not even wizards. Sure, magical beings may be better, but they are not perfect. He knew he was not perfect. "You said you had a sister, ¿verdad? What is she like?" he asked curiously. The waiter came over and he ordered two butterbeers. He looked at Ruby to see if she wanted anything else. She looked hungry. "Did you want something to eat?" he asked her politely. He had not eaten all day, so he may order a salad if Ruby was hungry. He was a vegetarian, so his food options were very few.

Ruby shook her head. "No thank you. I will eat at home. I have a lot of food allergies." She said looking down so he would't catch the lie in her eyes. Ruby had never been very good at lieing so she tried not to do it often but this was one thing that she didn't want to share. She grinned when he brought up her sister though. "Sapphire. I thought she was dead until two months ago. She was the one that told the Ministry what was happened to us in that house. She is so brave that she should be in Gryffendor but instead like I told you she's in Hufflepuff. Well she is hardworking too. I look up to her so much because she's so strong. I thought that she was going to stay with me for the semester but instead she went back to Hogwarts." She said looking as she fiddled with her fingers. It had hurt when Sapphire had left her alone. Not totally alone but only she could understand what she was going through. The Manor haunted her when she was left to think for herself. She wanted Sapphire to chase the monsters in her mind away. Well had wanted. She found someone else who could chace them away too.

Kennedy looked skeptically at Ruby. He was not sure Ruby was telling him the truth. He hated liars. He always tried his best to not tell lies. He did not like hiding the truth. "How about we sharesomething? I am pretty hungry, and I don't feel comfortable eating without you eating too." he suggested kindly. He did not listen very actively while Ruby was talking about his sister. He looked around the shop. Trying to not think about his brother. He sat up in his chair and placed his arms on the table. "I guess I should tell you about my sister. Her name is JazzyMae. She is a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts New Zealand. I like teasing her about her height because she is pretty short. she gave me this scar right here." he ran his finger across the long scar over his left eye.

Sharing? Well that sounded alright, it would give her and excuse to not eat much until she got home or maybe count this as her meal for the next few hours. "Alright we can share something. What are you going to have anyway?" She asked hoping that it wasn't anything too greasy or she would have to cut her usual potion in half. Sapphire would have teased her for eating such small amounts of everything but then again she never had to worry about gaining weight. Ruby was nearly convinced that she would blow up like a blimp is she wasn't careful. "I think you look devil-may-care with the scar, How did she give it to you?" She asked. Ruby would have commented that her younger sisters had done at least two times worse to her but thought it better if they didn't get into her sad and horrific past.

"Salad." he said quickly. His family did not understand how he had so much muscles and height when he did not even eat meat. Klaus had tried to go vegetarian with Kennedy, but he almost died watching mother and JazzyMae eat chicken in front of him. He had been vegetarian ever since he was four and hated the thought of eating animals, or creatures. "I am a vegetarian, so I don't have many options." he smiled at Ruby. He did not want her thinking he was only eating salad because of her. Why would he do that? "She threw a vase at my face. There was so much blood. I deserved it though. I was being an @ss to her big time." he explained and their buttebeer came to the table. "Order something." he told her.

Ruby laughed gently ant this. "It sounds like you and your siblings love each other very much." Ruby said cheerfully. She would have given anything for the family that had taken her in to have been normal. Instead Ruby suffered at the hands of her adoptive mother or the children that she took care of. They had been suppoed to be call them brothers and sisters but there was nothing familiar there. Sapphire and Ruby had become close because Sapphire tried the best she could to protect Ruby. It worked against Mother but the girls had been relentless against her. "Ok" Ruby said without thinking about it. She picked up the menu and started to look for something she could eat herself. A small salad did sound nice and it seemed like Kennedy had the same aversion to meat that she did though Ruby had deloped and aversion to everything as of late. "I do not like to call myself a vegetarian I just don't like meat, never have.:" She said placing her order.

"Lately I have been angry with my family. They're throwing me off my balance." he murmured. He was off his rocking chair since Klaus left. Proof was his huge temper tantrums, mood swings, and recent want to be alone. He did not want to be alone anymore. He wanted to be with Ruby. Not like he liked her, but he really did enjoy her company. It kept him calm and she gave him something Klaus wasn't able to. Kennedy was having a slight problem trying to figure out what it was. He shrugged. "I don't care really. I just want people to know that I think eating meat is disgusting." he scooted up to the table. "How are you feeling Rue?" he asked and looked at her expectantly. He wanted to know if she was doing okay. He took a sip of his butterbeer.

Ruby took small and very delicate sips of her butterbeer and smiled at Kennedy. "Calmer than I have in a long time. She said as she played with her fork a little "I came from a bad place and I was always trying to make things better by making myself better but it never stopped. Now that I'm out I can't seem to stop what I did before. Like I can't believe that it's over." She said looking down into her food. She started to use the side of her fork to cut the leaves into small pieces then started to split the vegetables the same way. It was habit, all it was was habit. "How do you feel right now? She asked looking up at him

Kennedy nodded. He was glad that Ruby was feeling better. He did not show this of course. He just pretended to let it roll off his shoulders. He watched as his friend cut the salad into small pieces, and then she started to do the same thing with the vegetables. "You better believe it. Your sister did not turn that woman in just because she could. I am sure she wants to see you heal from all the trauma you have went through." he encouraged her. He picked up his fork, and he stabbed some leaves and vegetables. He then ate them. Chewing with his mouth closed, and chewing calmly. Having something in his mouth felt great. He could only imagine the mood he would be in without eating something. He would have probably had a swing and stormed off away from Ruby. "Me? Don't worry about how I am feeling Ruby. You are much more important." he diverted answering the question.

Ruby gasped when he said he wasn't important. "Never say that mon ami I am sure that there are lots who would be upset if you where gone or upset." She said looking up at him, her eyes wide. Kennedy was quickly becoming very important to her. The only reason she was smiling now was because he smiled and she had the feeling that she would do anything to make him happy. Then again same could be said for her sister. Ruby pushed herself to the point of insanity in order to make her former mother happy and was just now learning that there was nothing she could have done. There was still that tendency in her. Ruby looked down and started to eat the little bits she had created slowly.

Kennedy rolled his eyes. It was going to take a while for him to believe he was actually worth something. He wanted to change the subject. "What kind of stuff does the Inner Eye sell?" he asked and stabbed some more salad onto his fork. He then stuffed it into his mouth. He wished he had a dressing. Leaves tasted so plain without a type of dressing.
OOCOut of Character:
Sorry it is really short.

Ruby could since the evasion but didn't want to make Kennedy angry but pressing the matter. She grinned at the question while looking down at the little bits that she had made of everything that she had been given. She took only the lightest sip of her butterbeer before answering. "Everything that has to do with Divination can be found at the Inner Eye. Tarot cards and tea leaves and all that stuff. It's really nice. I asked if I could have a crystal ball that I saw there, not to practice just to have in my room because it was made our of red crystal. You can come and see me there tomorrow if you want." She said her eyes full of pleading. Now that she knew a little about him she would want to spent every day with him just so she wouldn't be alone. She wondered if it was the same for him.

Kennedy though of his twin when she said Divination. His twin was so interested in the subject that Kennedy ended up taking an interest in it as well. He drank some more of his butterbeer. His heart was filled with worry about Ruby. The girl was so frail, and it did not help that she did not eat much. He nodded at her suggestion. "I will come see you after my lesson then." he smiled at Ruby. It would be sometime in the afternoon. He hoped that Ruby wouldn't mind. He liked to take a lot of extra time when he had his charms lessons. He looked at his watch. 5:45. "I think I should take you home now Rue." he suggested, and he stood up.

Ruby spotted the clock on the wall and read the time herself. "Dearest Hera your right. Not home though that's a little far. To the Inner Eye. Morgan will be worried if I do not make it back by closing time." She said as she took a few more bites of the salad which meant that she left about half the plate still there. She nodded at Kennedy when he said it would be afternoon when he came to get her. "No problem. I will be helping out with what I can in the shop anyway. Morgan says I do not have to but I want to. It gives me something to do." She said gathering her purse. She waited for Kennedy to get up before heading for the door. She was happy now that she had made a new friend.

Kennedy nodded and headed toward the door. His days weren't going to be lonely anymore. He had Ruby to keep him company now, but somewhere inside of his head he felt sorry for the girl. She was now going to stay close to him. She was going to have to deal with his mood swings. He would not want to stay at home. He would want to be around Ruby because she calmed down his loud mind. Kennedy walked out of the Three Broomsticks with Ruby. He did not have anything to say to her. He would be seeing her tomorrow. He was sure he would have something to talk to her about tomorrow. He wanted to quickly get her home, so then he could go home and go to sleep.
OOCOut of Character:
Do you want to continue this, or do you want to start a new topic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back