You Lose And Then You Gain

Kennedy Smile

Wand
Straight 15 Inch Sturdy Ivy Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Kennedy sat down on a bench in Takarokaro Park. His cheeks were still damp and puffy from the crying he did at home. Of course, his mother told him to stop overreacting. He wasn't over reacting. He was broken. Klaus had left him to go to Hogwarts New Zealand. Kennedy then received a letter from his twin stating he was placed in Gryffindor. Throwing a fit he ripped up the letter and and trashed all the things his twin left behind. He ripped up most of the pictures he and his brother had taken. All except the ones with their father in them. Since his twin left he had become somewhat unstable. Emotionally at least. He and his mother had gotten into several arguments already. One resulting in his mom throwing a plate at him, but missing. He touched the scar over his left eye. He had gotten that scar from JazzyMae last year. It was difficult to see from that eye, but he always managed.

Kennedy had been looking for something or someone to hold close. Someone he could take under his wing, and someone he could keep close to him. He had lost the comfort of his brother. Now he was looking for someone to prey on. Someone that could balance him out, stabilize him. He crossed his legs and scanned the park. Most teens his age were at Hogwarts or another wizarding school at this time. He was home schooled and had already finished his lessons for the day. There were mostly little children. He kept looking for someone that caught his eye.

Ruby had been walking though the park because it had been suggested that she take a walk in the park. Her adoptive mother was running her shop and her sisters where ether in school or running their own lives. She felt as if she was being left alone. She had wanted to help Morgan in the shop but she kept asking permission to do everything. Finally Morgan asked her to go take a walk. Ruby had nodded silently and left. Ruby was painfully thin now but not because she had been fed either in Bella-Donna Manor or in Morgan's house but because she felt no will to eat much. Those that looked at her wouldn't guess because of how she dressed but if one studied her would see that her arms where slightly too spindly.

It wasn't only the fact that she was thin but there was an air of fragility that always seemed to hang around Ruby. As if the slightest wind could break her into a million pieces that would never be able to be put back together. The fresh air was doing some wonders for her though calming her a little bit. That was of course in until she met up with some boys that seemed to be maybe two years older than her. She watched then circle around her. She placed her bag in front of her as if the make a shield she backed away when it was knocked out of her hand and all sorts of obstinates where said to her. Ruby screamed and started to cry as if he where being murdered which made the boys back off her calling her mad. Ruby wasn't mad. Not really anyway, she was just touchy. She watched the boys walk off then sank on to the edge of the sand lot still in tears. "Mine sister, mine sister why hath thou abandoned me?" She moaned.

Kennedy heard crying. He scanned the park again. His eyes landed on a girl on the ground in the sand lot crying. She looked very thin and fragile. He noticed that there were guys walking away from her. How could he have missed something like that? Kennedy got up and ran over to the girl. He bent down and placed his arm over his shoulder. "Are you okay miss?" he asked politely. He wiped the tears from her face with his thumbs. He was still skeptical to whether this girl was worth his time. She seemed very strange. He did not know what this girl's background was. He was reluctant to give her care.

Ruby felt a comforting arm wrap around her shoulders and she leaned in letting go of all the sorrow in her heart, not just from the assault but from the loneliness that she felt. Her emotions seemed to have gone into overdrive since she lost the Mark and was let go from Bella-Donna Manor. When she was all cried out she looked up and blushed deeply. "You will be forgiving me please? I do not normally cry on strangers but I was just so wound up you see. Then again it is not every day that one is invited to a privet party with all boys." She shivered. "And also if I do not speak the English of modern man. You see I speak French at my school mostly." She added to explain why she had a bit of an accent to her. When the mark left so did the riddles but she never got over the Shakespearean English that was used to speaking. Her thoughts where still organized that way. She was telling the truth though about speaking French at Beauxbaton.

The girl leaned into Kennedy and kept crying. As she cried he stroked her hair gently. He had gist of why the girl was crying, but he did not understand why he was being so polite to her. Most of the time he was a jerk to most girls that weren't his sister. How fragile reminded him of his sister though. He stopped stroking her hair. "It is fine. Are you okay? Did those guys hurt you?" he leaned away from the girl so he could see if she was injured. Did this girl not have common sense? Who went to an all boys privet party? That was just plain stupid in Kennedy's book. He raised his eyebrow at the girl's form of speech. It was very old, and it reminded him of Shakespeare. "That is okay too. My brother speaks French." he said and then caught himself. He rolled his eyes and then sighed. He grabbed the girl's hand and stood up. "Can you stand?"

Ruby smiled and took the boy's hand. Maybe it was because he had not backed away from her when she had started to cry on him even though he had been trying to wipe away her tears or maybe it was just because she needed someone there to hold her somewhat together. "I think they would have had I not screamed. They where going to any way because I refused to go. I would rather be dead than scared like that just would just be wonderful. One more scare to add to the rest." Ruby said with a sigh. She picked herself up and smiled kindly. "Thank you for being here. My name is Ruby Clow." She said as she balanced on her three inch heels. Even at the height that the heels provided she was still looking up at this boy. There where no warning signs going off but then none went off when it looked like Zeal came in and it turned out to be Phobos. It was not a complete surprise that she got solicited like she had. Ruby had glossy red hair which she kept neatly combed, green eyes still glittering even though her sorrow was in control and even though she was puffy from crying soft features that spoke of a natural beauty. Not that Ruby ever saw these things about herself. She barely saw herself as human anymore.

When Kennedy saw the girl was standing he let go of her hand. He bent down and picked up her purse. He held it out to her. "You should have never accepted the offer. It was a stupid move to be honest." he told the girl. Kennedy shrugged. The girl had heels on, and she still had to look up to him. It was very amusing to him. He knew he was tall. He was almost six feet and five inches. Maybe next summer he would grow half an inch. "It was nothing really. I am Kennedy Smile." he told the girl. He looked at the girl. Her shiny red hair was neat even though she almost got jumped by a whole bunch of guys. Her eyes were a beautiful sea of green. She was very beautiful, but Kennedy would never admit that. he was too unstable for a girl like her. "Did you have anywhere you were going to go?" he asked. He did not feel comfortable leaving this girl alone. She looked like she would be easily broken. He did not want to let the girl out of his sight.

Ruby giggled a little. "Smile. I like your last name. It is exactly what you make me do, smile." She said as she closed her hands around her purse. Ruby clutched it close to her. Ruby was rather tall for a girl herself at five feet seven inches tall. At ninety seven pounds she was terribly under weight not that she would ever admit it at the moment. Ruby nodded. "It would have been. My sister Sapphire would be very disappointed in me if I had gotten hurt in such a way. Though it might have been too late when she found out. You see she is a Hufflepuff in 'Ogwarts. She should have never gone, never I need her here." She said suddenly upset again. She missed Sapphire. She was what had made her happy over the holiday and it was because of her that Ruby had agreed to stay home from Beauxbaton for a semester. Ruby had thought that Sapphire would stay with her. "I am sorry you probably do not what to hear me talk about this. Can you walk me back to my mother's shop. It is called the Inner Eye. Please I do not want to walk alone but if you have some-were to be." She said stopping short. Ruby realized that she was being a bit selfish in asking Kennedy to take her home.

Kennedy smiled. Most girls did like his last name, but he was not one to make cheesy pick up lines with it. "Most girls do, but the guys always tease me about it." he shoved his hands into his side pockets. Kennedy snarled at the next topic. Hogwarts New Zealand. He did not really care for the school, but he would tolerate the topic for Ruby. "My younger sister is in Hufflepuff there too. She is in second year." he told Ruby. He did not want to mention his brother. He was in a good mood talking with Ruby, and thinking about his twin would throw him of his rocker. "It's fine Ruby, really." he said and scratched the back of his neck nervously. She had been apologizing a lot. It made him uncomfortable a little. "I can walk you there. I have nothing else to do anyways." he smiled at Ruby and put his hands in his pockets again. He did not mind taking the girl home. It would make him feel better. He waited for Ruby to lead the way.

Straight back, shoulders back, heel/toe stride. Ruby thought before she began to move. In her mind she still had to be perfect, flawless in every way it was possible to be even if doing all that she did to make herself 'perfect' was killing her on the inside. "This way towards the mall. I already gave a hint I think that I go to Beauxbaton but what school do you go to?" Ruby asked. She had not seen him around Beauxbaton and she was sure that someone this tall and roguishly handsome would have ended up in Sapphire's comics at some point so he did not go to HNZ. He seemed of the deminar for Drumstrang though. She didn't mind those that came from that school though she had heard that they where notorious womanizers. Not that Ruby was really in any danger of a relationship. She thought herself still too imperfect to take her focus off her school and her looks.

Kennedy looked at the ground and smiled. He never thought that Ruby would get curious about where he received his magical education. Once the two started walking towards the mall together he noticed her walk changed. She stood straighter, rolled her shoulders back, and the distance between her steps became shorter. The exact opposite of his sister. JazzyMae walked, no stomped, around with her legs always shoulder with apart. She was short, so naturally in one of Kennedy's strides that was two strides for her. He always knew when she was coming up the stairs because she would stomp and groan everytime she reached the top of the stairs. "Well, I do not go to Durmstrang, Beauxbatons, or Hogwarts New Zealand. Where do you think I go? It is walking distance and provides food and shelter." he gave her some clues. He did not want to just tell her that he was home schooled. That would be to easy, and not to mention no fun.

In her natural state Ruby would have been light and airy in all forms but because of the idea that perfection would gain her acceptance Ruby lost the airy part of herself. She was still light though, her heeled foot falls making hardly any sound at all. Ruby seemed to shine a little brighter when she heard Kennedy answer her question with not a word but a riddle. Even though before this she had been cursed to talk in riddles she still liked a good one every once in a while. "Well all magic school provide food and shelter, We wouldn't go away to them otherwise but be able to go home and back again everyday. No that is not the clue the clue is walking distance. You study your magic at home with a tutor or am I wrong?" She said with a well practiced grin on her face. Not to wide that it distorted her face but not so slight that it went unnoticed. "Are you one to appreciate a good puzzle Kenneth or are you one to riddle me a good riddle?" She said laughing slightly at her word play. Her speech patterns where old but she hoped still understandable.

Kennedy nodded to say that Ruby was correct. He did not like riddles and puzzles because they annoyed the stuffing out of him. He was not good at them, and whenever he got them wrong it killed some more of his pride. Kennedy shock hi head. "To be completely honest riddles and puzzles aren't my thing, Rubes. Can I call you that?" he asked for approval on the nickname. Kennedy usually just gave his family nicknames whether they liked it or not. He figured that it would be different for other people not his family. He could be as inconsiderate with his family as he wanted, but not when he was in desperate need like this.

Ruby shrugged slightly. "Not most boys like riddles. I shall refrain from talking in them as much as I can. Though there there was a time when I couldn't help but as such. The woman that I used to call Mother, not the same that I live with now, was not a forgiving person. She was great though, could do magic beyond the imagination of anyone alive." She said looking down. It was for her that Ruby struggled to obtain perfecting. She could still hear the echos in her ear. Perfect Ruby, Flawless Ruby, you must be the most flawless of gems. Her thoughts and maybe a spiral into a freak out was interpreted by the fact that Kennedy had asked if he could give her a nickname. "But of course mon ami" She said smiling up at him. This was one of the few times that she been able to beat an episode. Somehow talking to someone who appeared to be so strong made it so her mind could hold itself together better.

'My brother likes riddles.' Were the words that wanted to come out of Kennedy's mouth. He refrained from doing so. It seemed like his world revolved around Klaus. Everything he talked about seemed to be about his brother. He couldn't take it anymore. Tears almost came to his eyes, but he controlled himself. He did not want to throw a tantrum in front of Ruby. He didn't want to fall of of rocker in front of her just yet. "You used to always talk in riddles? That doesn't sound fun, but I am glad you are able to talk normal now." he smiled and patted her on the shoulder. He looked strong on the outside, but he had always managed to hide how unstable he was. He was starting to get the feeling that he had to keep Ruby by his side. He smiled. "Now that I think about it Rue sounds like a better nicknames for you. You agree, no?

Ruby looked up and placed a hand on his cheek. "Distress go away and leave mine friend alone." She said as somewhat as a joke. She went back to walking then nodded. "It was difficult at time but I found that if I speak in French then the riddles would go away because the language is poetic in the first place. This is why I loved my school. My sister suggested I stay for a bit because I told her how everyone seemed to be judging me. No one judges me at the house and I feel you are not." She said with a nod. She had to make a friend at some point. She trusted Kennedy not to hold to the ideal of perfection she so strongly held herself to. "Rue is a flower right? The name of a flower. I... like it. Some of the girls that came from the house that I used live in had the names of flowers." She said then her eyes went wide she placed a hand on her forehead while bending as if she had gotten a sudden headache but it wasn't a headache not really. "leave me alone Poppy, please I didn't mean it please leave me alone." She muttered, hoping that the memory would leave her soon.

Kennedy chuckled. "What was that for?" he asked Ruby curiously. He thought what she just did was quite funny, but he saw that it showed she cared about him, at least a little bit. "I don't like to judge.I have problems of my own, so it's not like I would have the right to judge you anyways." he said truthfully. Ruby did not see it yet, but he had problems. His house probably was still looking a mess from his tantrum. He saw that the girl must have been through a lot. He was guessing it was something like abuse, but he did not want to pry into her private business. Kennedy quickly placed and strong arm over her shoulders to give her support. He stopped to make sure she was okay. "Are you alright?" he asked sounding very worried. He stopped himself from pulling her into a hug in hopes to ward off what was bothering her.

Ruby was known to cause some damage herself when she was in the middle of a particualy bad freak out. The flash back ended and she was pressed against someone. Not just someone, Kennedy. Ruby gulped her fear down then nodded. "I will be. My mind, my mind goes back to that house even though my body has left. You have helped make the waking nightmares go away. For this I thank you. Drink with me in one of the shops?" Ruby asked. There where no tears on her face this time which was a first for Ruby who was known know to cry rivers when she remembered the treatment that Poppy used to give with the help of her sister Violet and brother Zeal. She had Kennedy to help for that and she wanted to reward him.

Kennedy removed his arm from around Ruby, and he took her hand. "That sounds nice. Where would you like to go Rue?" he asked and started to walk again. He already felt close to Ruby. He did not understand how he had helped her so much already. She must have really been through a lot. He felt sorry for her, and he did not like seeing anyone. "How have I helped you? I mean, seriously, we just met." he said lamely while looking at the ground. 'Yeah, that is why I am holding her hand.' He thought in his head. He did not want to risk the girl falling. He thought that if she fell again then she would break into pieces.

Ruby left her hand in Kennedy's. She felt stable now, somewhat more stable than she had before. "Thank you mon ami." She said with a happy smile. At least she wasn't alone now. "The Three Broomsticks. I have not been here long but I heard that the butterbeer is good." She added quickly. She normally didn't drink anything else but water and a lot of it. It kept her from wanting food too much. "You where here and chased the shadows away. I have just met you and consider you a friend already. If that all right?" She asked blushing a bit. Ruby was easily embarrassed.

Kennedy nodded his head. "You are welcome." he said, showing of a bit of his Spanish. Another benefit of being home schooled. "Awesome, I go there like everyday. There butterbeer is delicious." he told her. He looked at Ruby. She was so fragile and defenseless. It made him interested in her. It made him attracted to her. Someone he could protect and hold close. Someone that would balance the craziness in his head out. "It is fine, but I have to warn you. I hold all my friends very close to me." he warned. Kennedy wanted Ruby to know that if she was going to be his friend she was going to stay his friend. He would not let her go. He would keep her by his side as long as he could. Maybe keep her on an even tighter leash than his brother. This was her last chance to get out before he went all in.

Ruby slipped in French every once in a while because it was a part of her speech patterns for now. Her mind was so jumbled that sometimes the languages mixed in with each other. "Magnefique I have a friend who is from Spain but his accent is not quite like yours." She looked around then looked down. "Do you mind showing me the way. It is not often that I leave the house or my mother's shop." She said with a shy smile. Ruby was nearly neurotic about leaving the shop on a normal day because she could almost feel the eyes of everyone on her. Ruby's paranoia made it that on particrually bad days she didn't even want to go out of her room. She heard what Kennedy said about his friends and she wrapped both arms around one of his. "That means you will never, ever leave me alone. I don't like to be alone. The shadows come to get me when I am." She said looking up at Kennedy, her green eyes glittering. Because there was so little kindness where she had come from Ruby clung to those that where kind to her especially her friends.

Kennedy pointed in front of them. "It is just over there Rue. We will be there quite soon." he smiled. He nodded his head to agree with Ruby. He let Ruby wrap her arms around his arm. It felt nice to be close to someone again. This moment was almost equivalent to having dance contests with his brother, but the thought of Klaus made him tense. Kennedy took a deep breath in and breathed it out. Thinking about his lame look alike made his heart beat faster, and caused him to not think clearly. "If I never leave you alone you will never leave me alone, ¿verdad? I feel like I go crazy when I'm alone." he looked down at Ruby. Her bright green eyes looked back at him. He poked her on the forehead. "Never leave me, okay?" he asked looking for reassurance in her eyes.

Ruby nodded quickly. "I wont mon ami, I will keep away the crazy for you since you keep the shadows away from me. I do not see you as mad though." She said. He gave off no signs of being crazy, just a little possessive which was fine by her. Ruby needed someone to need her around, someone to make her feel protected and she felt that way around Kennedy. She had hidden behind Sapphire for most of her time at Bella-Donna and she could do much but try and take the blame for what happened with her and even that was sometimes not enough. Ruby was not in danger of anything other than her own broken mind. Kennedy seemed to make the memories go away along side the fear. She looked at the small pub. She looked at one of the windows to see if she looked alright then adjusted her bangs. Then did the same to put them on a different side, then again. Ruby could feel the onset of an episode coming on as she started to stress over her apperence again.

Kennedy shrugged. He believed it wasn't craziness, but loneliness. Being alone drove Kennedy up a wall. He hated it. It was since his father passed away that he got lonely. He and his father were so close. Then he died and he got desperate for someone else to fill up the loneliness. Then he got possessive and he got scary when people went against him. He hated goodbyes as well. "I think it is more loneliness then it is crazy. My dad passed a couple years back, and I was really close to him." he said lamely. They had reached the Three Broomstick and Ruby was checking her reflection in the window. He pulled her away from the window. "You look fine Rue. Don't try to be so perfect." he told her gently and held the door open for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back