OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Wand
Straight 11 1/2 Inch Unyielding Mahogany Wand with Acromantula Web Core
With Professors informing them of their important exams at the end of the year and the amount of homework given to them already, the fifteen-year-old was happy that Rose had said yes to him teaching her how to play Wizard's chess. It would be a nice distraction from all the school-related stuff. He hadn't been able to play much lately due to his father's emotional state so couldn't wait to get started. Satisfied with his setup, Charlie sat down on the couch while he waited for Rose to show up. He didn't know if she would enjoy doing this with him but really hoped that she would at least have a little fun, as this probably wasn't something she would normally be doing for fun.

The OWL year was already stressing Rose out. Being nervous about school results was kind of a new feeling for her. Normally, she just did what she could and got average results. But now, things would actually count. Happy to have Charlie as a distraction, Rose had agreed readily to have him teach her chess. Sure, it was sort of a nerdy hobby, but she had sort of a nerdy boyfriend. Their differences actually made her pretty happy, and she was open to trying things he liked. She has actually planned to take him out to an adventure in the forest, but receiving her prefect's badge had made her put off those plans indefinitely. She still had to figure out a way to break the rules without feeling guilty towards Professor Kingsley. As of now, she hadn't done anything against the rules yet. As she entered the student lounge, a smile appeared on her face at the sight of her boyfriend. Rose headed over to him and pressed a kiss to his cheek before sitting on the couch, giving him a somewhat shy smile. "So... I'll probably not be very good at all this." She said, shrugging. "But we'll be testing your abilities as a teacher today, too."

He bowed his head when she kissed his cheek and smiled slightly. He didn't think that he could ever get used to that. Charlie looked up at Rose when she sat down on the couch. ''Neither was I when my father first introduced me to the game,'' the Ravenclaw said truthfully. He snorted when she said that they'd be testing his teaching abilities and shook his head. ''Honestly, Rose, it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.'' It was a lot to take in all at once but he was sure that his girlfriend would understand the basics of Wizard's chess in no time. ''Let's start then, shall we?'' Charlie asked the Gryffindor, if she wanted to tell him something not chess-related then now would be the time to do so as they would be busy with chess for the next hour or so.

Rose tucked her legs underneath her as she made herself comfortable on the couch, looking over at her boyfriend on the other end with a small smile. She hoped that he wouldn't mind if it took her a while to understand chess, or if she got bored halfway through. Rose was definitely going to try her best, though. It was interesting to learn Charlie's father had introduced him to the game. "How old were you when you started playing?" Rose asked curiously. Sometimes, she felt like she didn't know much about Charlie's home life. He didn't have siblings, which was really difficult for her to imagine. Hearing Charlie say it wasn't that difficult made her a bit nervous. Would he be disappointed in her if it took her a long time to understand it? Would he think her stupid? "Sure!" She said brightly as he suggested they start. Rose had agreed to this, after all, and she was curious. Hopefully, it wouldn't be a bad experience in the end. "Are we playing with wizarding pieces or muggle ones?"

Charlie shrugged when she asked him how old he was when he first started playing chess. It was honestly such a long time ago that he couldn't exactly remember at what age his father introduced him to the game. ''About nine or ten maybe?'' He hadn't been playing that long before entering his first year at Hogwarts so figured that it must have been either one of those. He smiled at his girlfriend, happy that she wanted to get started. ''I thought it'd be better if we would play with Muggle pieces today since you said that you never played it before.'' Perhaps they would use his wizard chess set once she knew all the basics and understood the game, for now, however, using the Muggle ones would be a lot less stressful as these didn't get smashed by other pieces whilst playing. Charlie then pointed at the white chess pieces on his side of the board and said, ''Each of us has a total of sixteen pieces. One Knight, one Queen, two Bishops, two Knights, two Rooks and eight Pawns'' pointing at each of them respectively. ''To win a game of chess, you have to checkmate the opponent's King. Checkmate will happen when your opponent's King is under attack and cannot make any legal moves.'' Becuase the Ravenclaw didn't want to give her too much information at once, asked, ''Any questions so far?''

Rose was surprised to hear he had learned as such a young age. Chess had always seemed like a game for adults. If she imagined people playing chess for fun, she imagined old witches with wrinkles or old wizards with long beards. Not a ten year old kid. "Did you like it even then?" She asked him , curious to hear the answer. She knew she herself wouldn't have had the patience to sit still long enough at that age, a trait she now saw in her youngest sister. Charlie said they were playing with Muggle pieces today, and though a small part of Rose was disappointed, she could see the logic in it. "They're less likely to shout at me for doing badly." She said with a small smile. "But who knows? Maybe I'll be so bad they'll just come to life purely to yell at me." She was joking, but it was partly to prepare Charlie for the reality of her probably not being good at the game. She didn't want to constantly say how bad she thought she would be at it, but he still deserved to know. Hopefully the jokes were lighthearted enough for him to not take them too seriously. It wasn't chess in particular making her nervous, but lately anything academic seemed confronting to the Gryffindor about her shortcomings. Somehow, a part of her mind concluded that if she couldn't grasp chess, there was no way she would be able to pass her OWLs at the end of the year. She knew it was illogical, but worries rarely listened to logic. She listened intently as he explained the first basics, watching his fingers closely. When he asked if she had any questions, she nodded. "Can the King move too?" She asked.

Charlie shook his head when she asked if he liked it even at such a young age. ''Not really,'' he told her truthfully. ''I didn't understand it at all, thought it was rather boring actually.'' However all of that had changed once he started to understand how to play the game and outsmart his father, as some moves had become very predictable. He wondered what she thought of him learning how to play chess at a young age and whether or not she thought of him as a cool person or an absolute nerd. Probably the latter, the Ravenclaw thought. He chuckled at Rose's comment and said, ''Or at me for my poor teaching skills.'' Although Charlie had just started to explain how to play chess to his girlfriend, he already felt like he was confusing Rose. He nodded his head at the question. ''Yes. The King can move one square in any direction, though you shouldn't move your King into Check.'' He left things such as special moves out of his explanation intentionally because he really did want her to know the basics first before moving onto Castling or Promotion. ''The Queen,'' Charlie continued with his explanation, ''Can move as many squares as you want horizontally, vertically or diagonally as long as those squares are not occupied by any other pieces. The same goes for the Rooks, except they can only move horizontally or vertically. The Knights, however, can move three squares - a good thing to remember is the letter L when you want to move one of your Knights because they can either move two squares forwards, backwards, left o right, and then a turn left or right.'' He stopped to take a quick breath. ''Your Bishops can move as many squares as you want diagonally as long the squares are not occupied. And last but not least, the Pawns can move one square at a time, though only forwards unless one of your Pawns can take out an opponent's piece.'' Charlie really hoped Rose would remember all of this.

this is such a mess, I'm sorry

It surprised Rose when Charlie answered he used to find chess boring. She didn't really think it suited a little kid, but Charlie had always been so serious. She had kind of expected him to be a serious kid that liked chess. "Why did you learn it then?" She asked him, a small frown on her face. Rose didn't really understand why anyone would do something they didn't like, especially something as complicated and hard to understand as chess. She blushed a little when Charlie turned her joke around on himself. The last thing she wanted was to make him feel bad about his teaching skills, when it was almost definitely on her if she didn't get it. She nodded when Charlie explained how the king moved, trying her best to remember it. The queen seemed easy to remember too, but once he started explaining the others Rose started to frown. Okay, so Rooks could move horizontally or vertically, that wasn't too difficult. But the Knights were a little more confusing. But in the end, she thought she understood. At least, she hoped so. "So... to recap. The King can go any direction but only a tiny step. The Queen can do anything? The Rooks... horizontally and vertically." She thought hard, completely focused on repeating what Charlie had told her. "The horse thingies do that weird L shape. the Bishops..." She trailed off. "I forgot those. But the Pawns can only move one square forward!" She looked at him with a nervous smile. "Do you think I'm ready to play?"

Charlie shrugged when she asked him why he chose to learn it even though he thought it was boring. Of course the boy knew the real reason as to why he had told his father that he wanted him to teach Charlie how to play chess, but he wasn't comfortable discussing his mother with Rose, yet. ''I was just bored one day, I guess.'' the boy told her instead in the hope that they wouldn't talk about it any longer. He listened carefully as she began to recap what he'd just told her and nodded while she was listing off the pieces and what they could do, interjecting only once to tell Rose about the Bishops again. Charlie smiled widely at the Gryffindor when she asked if he was ready to play. ''I think you are,'' he said. She'd picked up on the pieces quickly which was a good sign. And then the two of them started playing the game. It took Rose a couple of tries to get into it, however, the more they played it, the better she was starting to get. Charlie smiled up at his girlfriend when she'd made a move which resulted in the game ending with a draw. ''Look at you,'' Charlie said once he realised that neither of them could make any more moves. ''You're a natural talent, you are.''

Rose frowned a little at Charlie's answer about chess. She got bored too, but she never taught herself some complex game to kill time. Maybe there was more to the story that he didn't feel like saying now. Maybe his dad had made him learn for some reason. Rose didn't really know all that much about Charlie's home life, something she was only now realizing. But it didn't feel like the right time to bring it up. They started playing, and Rose glanced at Charlie occasionally during the game to see what he thought.The game was difficult, and she tried her very best but found it a little frustrating. At first, she kept making silly mistakes. Somehow, she kept confusing the Bishops and the Rooks, and she once forgot which of the pieces was the King and which the Queen. In her defense, they did look very similar. But the more they played, the more she started to understand. At least, she managed to remember the different moves the pieces made. There wasn't really any strategy to her playing. She wondered if this could really be fun for Charlie. Hopefully she wasn't boring him. When one game ended in a draw, she blushed at his compliment and shook her head with a small laugh. "Total coincidence." She said before eyeing him suspiciously. "Unless you made that happen..." She added, though she didn't think he had. She was glad he hadn't let her win either, that would have felt weird for her. "I get the rules now... pretty much, but I still don't see how you can like, think ahead and stuff. Like, do cool strategies." She gestured to the board. "You must be some sort of genius to actually be good at this game. All I've been doing is making random moves once I figured out which I was allowed to make."

He smiled as she eyed him. It had been a total coincidence indeed, though he had to admit to himself that he could have probably prevented it from happening had he paid more attention to the game instead of his girlfriend. ''It's all about practice.'' He told Rose. ''The thinking ahead part will happen the more you play the game, the same goes for using strategies.'' Chess honestly wasn't that difficult, you just had to devote some time into wanting to understand the basics of the game. He smiled when she said that you had to be some sort of genius to be good at chess and quickly shook his head, telling the girl that really anyone could play it. ''Do you want to have another go at it, or would you rather want to do something else?'' He didn't think she would want to sit through another game since they had already been here for little over an hour, so was happy to do something else instead. Charlie was really happy that Rose had basically been the perfect student and hoped that they could do this more often from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back