Why does the school year start in September?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerissa Flynn-Doyle

Hiya. I'm from Australia. I've lived in New Zealand.

The reason the main school holidays in the northern hemisphere are in August is because that's when summer is there. Likewise, down under, the main school holidays are from late December (including Christmas) to the beginning of February, because that's when summer is here.

I don't know how it works in NZ anymore, I lived there when I was a lot younger, but in Australia school goes back on the second Tuesday in February.

So, you can see how the whole September - September year doesn't really work, because you're taking your main holidays in the middle of winter. Also, figuring out your character's age is much easier when you can work from a real calendar year.

When this site was created it was based off the Northern Hemisphere Seasons, and the Northern Hemisphere School Calenders.
As most people at the time were from the United States and Canada it also evaded much confusion.
This issue and similar issues have been brought up in the past, but as this site is already established in its ways I believe it has been decided that it will continue as is to avoid any further confusion.

However, in regards to simply the school year: as Hogwarts New Zealand is a branch off the Hogwarts in Scotland we could say it mimicked the school calender so they would be in school at the same time. :)

I hope this answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back