We're Twins, I Should Have Known

Kate Archer

OOC First Name
Johanna
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Sturdy Cherry Wand with Billywig Stinger Core
*Set a few days after the capture of Avory Brandt*

Kate had aparated to the outside of St Mungos the minute she had heard. She couldn't believe it. Unfortunately Kate was not one to keep entirely up to date with the goings on in the Magical World. Sure they got the newspaper and Stefan would hear things from working in Hogwarts but she was usually so wrapped up in her own job, she forgot to take notice of what was happening. She had had no idea what Sara was working on they were both so busy these days it was hard to talk let alone meet up. Kate felt so guilty now. It's not that she could have done anything to prevent this but she just felt she should have known before. It's what any good sister never mind twin would know. Surely she should have felt something when Sara was hurt? They had always been so close growing up but circumstances had changed them. Thankfully, despite third and fourth year they got on well now. They were never going to be as close but Sara was her sister, her twin. She loved her and the fact that she was hurt filled Kate with dread and guilt. How badly was she injured?? Was it serious? There were all questions that had popped into her head the minute she found out. Her thoughts then turned to her parents in England of course Star and Ryan who could literally be anywhere. The whole ordeal was giving her flashbacks to the time Stefan had disappeared. She had had no idea where on earth he was, where he was staying. She had been so so worried. Kate wasn't supposed to get overly stressed or worried. The affects of her condition in fourth year still came back to haunt her when she was at her most stressed. Otherwise she was perfectly healthy but at the moment she was feeling an odd combination of terror and worry plus the flashbacks.

As she stood outside St Mungos she couldn't help but think back to the last time she had been here. How things had changed since then, she remembered how worried Stefan had been. She had just been out of Hogwarts at the time. She wouldn't be able to do all that traveling with out him this time. Maybe in the future over the summer time when they were both off they could do something. Kate walked into the hospital and asked where she could find Sara. She had left a small note for Stefan in case he arrived home before she did. She wanted him here, his calming presence. He always made her feel better, right now with out him she was mess. She knew she would have to ring her parents after speaking with Sara, they would want to come over right away. But before she went into Sara she had to put a reign on her out of control emotions lest she worry Sara. The poor woman had probably gone through enough.When she arrived she was told the healer was still inside. She sat down the room and anxiously waited. No one outside the room was telling her what was going on. She could feel herself getting more worked up but she just breathed deeply and tried to come down. Soon the Healer exited and told her it was okay to go in. She thanked them quietly before opening the door and entering. "Oh Sara"She said walking quickly towards her bed. She didn't want to hug or anything in case it she hurt her.

Sara had been prepared for meeting her sister, had known it would happen, had guessed she'd probably be annoyed that they'd kept visitors for so long, and had hoped she didn't know the first person Sara had asked to see was her boss. She'd needed to clarify what was known and what wasn't about what had happened. Unfortunately, she couldn't tell Kate most of it. However, she wasn't prepared for the warmth she would feel when the healer said Kate's name, or the sudden urge to cry that she fought to stifle. When Kate rushed in, she lost the battle, and her eyes filled with tears. "Kate I'm so sorry, I swear I was careful. I just, I j-" she couldn't finish the sentence, and stopped for a moment, breathing heavily, her voice still hoarse. She knew she didn't look well. She'd finally been allowed a mirror, and while all her minor cuts were healed, the bruises were only on their way to healing; dark marks on her arms and legs. She had dark circles under her eyes, and put simply, she looked drained. All the usual colour in her face was gone. She was pale and thin; weak. This wasn't the Sara the world knew. This wasn't the Sara that she herself knew. She sat like that for a few seconds, her head clasped in her hands as she lay back in an unfamiliar bed. All she seemed to do was be upset these days, whether it was waking up in tears, or clenching her jaw as a healer once again wondered about what curse had been cast on her. Didn't they realise how terrifying it was not knowing?

"Sorry about that...Do Mam and Dad know? Ryan and Star?" she asked, composing herself. She took deep breaths, trying not to look at Kate and pulling her knees to her chest. The motion made her wince. The pain was duller now, and her back was slowly improving, but she'd started having nightmares. Strange, dark dreams that pulled her back to the emptiness she'd felt in the days following the mission. She hadn't been aware of the world. Only in the dreams, she was aware that she'd separated from the world, but for some reason couldn't return to it. She woke up panicked, and shivering, but never called for help. This was her burden to bear. "I'm sorry they only let you in now, I was out for two days. To be honest, they weren't sure I would wake up-magic wasn't helping." Jeremy had told her that, and the words had terrified her. Ever since learning about magic, she'd started to think magic was a solution for almost any problem, but it simply wasn't true. "I don't know what you know, but I also don't know what I can tell you. I can say that I was injured, they don't know exactly how, but they're trying to work it out. Oh God Kate." she let her head fall forward, and then had to catch herself as a shock of pain went down her spine. "Stupid Sara." she admonished herself, carefully straightening. Something about seeing her sister made it all real. "I mean, I'm probably going to be fine eventually. I'm just not sure what the lasting effects might be, since nobody knows how it happened. I blacked out, so I'm no use." she explained, blinking rapidly to stop herself from crying again. She shouldn't be afraid to cry in front of her twin, but she didn't want her to worry. Throughout her training, and since she'd qualified, one of her main concerns had been making sure her family didn't worry about her. Well, she'd certainly failed in that regard.

Kate had always known at the back of her mind that with Sara's profession events like this were entirely possible. She had just never prepared herself and she was just so shocked. In the back of her mind she wondered what they hell had she been doing. What job she was on and had anyone been hurt? She understood that Sara probably wouldn't be able to tell her exactly what happened. She supposed it came part and parcel of the job but Kate half hoped Sara would get a desk job. But she knew her sister and she knew she would work her butt off so she could get into the field. When Kate walked in and after the initial relief that she was there, alive , she took in the bruises and the look on Sara's face. Kate couldn't remember the last time Sara had looked this tired, this ill. Kate felt tears behind her eyes but she held them back for Sara. They couldn't both be bubbling messes and she had to be there for her twin. "Oh Sara, don't worry about that, all that matters is that you are here now, safe" Kate said moving beside the bed and grabbing her sister's hand. She wanted to hug her . Although Sara was older only by a few minutes Kate was feeling extremely protective. She wanted to tell her to give up the job and find something safer, but what kind of sister would she be when she knew how much Sara loved this job? For the moment they would focus on the now and what was wrong.

Kate shook her head and moved the chair so she could sit beside the bed. "I haven' t told them yet, I needed to see you first"She said trying to smile.Kate guessed Sara needed a while to compose herself before the onslaught of their family. Kate's heart constricted at the next sentence and she unknowingly squeezed Sara's hand harder. Magic hadn't helped? What had happened, she so desperately wanted to ask. "It's okay"she whispered but inside she was so worried. She didn't know what she would have done if Sara hadn't woken up. Her mind was wandering off, into dark scenarios but she pulled herself back. She didn't want Sara to know how worried she was. She had to relax so she could get better. "That's okay, I understand , but how can they not know?"She asked worriedly . It was scary how no one seemed to know that much. It must have been a fairly important case if Sara couldn't say anything but it was scaring Kate, how frail and lost her sister looked. "Hey , don't move, your body needs to heal"She said , slightly admonishing Sara. The best thing for her was to just rest and rest. "Hey ,Sara, I know this must be so frustrating but you are going to be fine and you never know as time passes you might begin to remember more. You only woke up recently and your body is healing. You have to give yourself a chance"She said smiling supportively. Kate knew after she had been knocked unconscious after the earthquake, it had taken a long time for the memories to filter back to her brain. She could Sara wanted to cry, maybe she even needed to cry. "You can cry Sara, after what has happened I think it would even be best"She said squeezing her hand and trying to hold back her own. She had just never seen her look so forlorn and lost. Although they weren't as close as they once were, Kate knew Sara and she knew she would be worrying about everyone else and not put herself first "Please don't worry about everyone else. You need to get better and in order to do that you need to put yourself first"She said seriously. She summoned a wade of tissues which came flying into the room and few minutes later and handed them to her sister.

Why was she so upset? It wasn't as though she even remembered what had happened. Somehow though, that felt worse. She didn't know, she couldn't tell anyone even if she wanted to, she had no memory of it. The very thought terrified her, that she had a blank space in her mind, with no way of filling it. Sara had always thought the best part of her was her mind. What was she without that? She lived in fear of losing her memory, of losing who she was. Even on her lowest days, when she questioned her own morality, her very core, she'd always held onto that. When she worried that she wasn't a good person, when she fell out with a friend, when she hated almost everything about herself, she could always rely on the fact that she was smart. Her mind was her solace. What could she do if she lost that? This tiny defect, these lost days, they were taunting her, and hinting at the fact that her solace, her safe place, might not always be there for her. She gripped Kate's hand, and tried to smile. "They gave me a potion for the pain, but it's still there. It's dull and throbbing, but it's there and every now and then it flares up. I'm scared Kate. I always thought that magic could solve everything, but..." What if she simply had to live with it? What if it never went away? They couldn't tell her anything. She had no idea what repercussions this might have.

She was glad when she heard her twin's answer "Thank you, they'd worry too much. My job alone terrifies them, I don't know if they could handle hearing I was injured. At least now that I'm awake, the worst part is over before they know." At least she hoped the worst part was over. Kate was her sister, and yet she couldn't tell her everything, couldn't tell her what she was doing. They weren't as close as they had been, but their relationship had been improving since Sara had gotten her act together after Hogwarts. "I don't know, I don't remember an incantation, and if they can't tell what spell was used, how can they heal me?" it was frustrating, to say the least. "I know I need to rest, but it's hard. I mean, I've spent four years constantly moving and working and now I'm stuck in this bed, it's so-" she broke off, and shook her head, irritated. That caused more pain. "I'm sorry, I'll stop." she sighed, leaning back on the pillow. Kate was right. "I know, it's just hard to be patient. I keep thinking about this sort of haziness in my brain, where those days are missing." She laughed at Kate's comment about crying. There was a time when Sara hated crying, a time when she'd thought it made her weak. She hadn't cried in so long. It felt like a lifetime. When had she last cried? She couldn't remember. There were still tears in her eyes, but she wasn't shedding them. For some reason, Kate's comment had cheered her up. It felt nice to have someone not be awkward about her actually having emotions.

Kate felt somewhat responsible, almost like she should have known. On some level Sara and herself were closer than most siblings despite the fact they aren't as close as they once were. But in this instance, Kate wished she had known, the minute Sara was hurt, or that she was in trouble. She knew it was silly as what could she have done? But even the fact she hadn't known , the fact she hadn't been notified straight away set her teeth on edge. Obviously it was no one’s fault, there was no possible way she could be instantly told her sister was injured but at the moment Kate's emotions were in such turmoil this thought seemed rational. She could see the fact Sara couldn't remember was really bothering her. Kate could only imagine how frustrating and scary that must be. Kate was sure something could be done. The healers just needed some time. Although magic is amazing and everything, she was sure it sometimes needed time to work and discover what was wrong with Sara. She believed it would work, she had seen the wonders of magic and knew how it could help and heal. It would help Sara. "Magic will help, it just needs some time"She said trying to be supportive. She hated how Sara was in pain, it worried her slightly that the potion wasn't working but maybe she needed a stronger dose. She made a note to ask the doctor.

An Auror was an extremely dangerous job and she knew her parents were worried as was the rest of the family. Kate believed her parents almost expected something bad to happen to the Moons. They had such bad luck over the past number of the years. "All that matters is that you are safe now"She said smiling, she would speak to their parents first. They couldn't be their usual overbearing selves because she didn't think Sara would be able to handle it. "It's their job, they will find out what it is, they will help you get better"She said encouragingly. They had to believe in the Healers or what else could they do? It was too scary a prospect to think otherwise. She felt terrible, she hated seeing her twin like this. She wanted to wrap her up in a huge hug and tell her it was going to be okay. She had never seen her look so lost , so scared. "I know what you mean"She said squeezing her hand again. Kate only knew a small bit about the work of an auror but she knew it obviously wasn't a very relaxing job. It would be hard to just stop and do nothing and have to wait. "It's natural to feel that way but I know you and your brain"She said grinnning slightly "If anyone can remember anything, it will be you"She smiled, encouraginly. She was glad when Sara laughed, at least she was doing right.

She couldn't imagine what Kate must have thought when she'd received Sara's message. She'd tried to make sure it was calm, and to be honest, had downplayed her injury a bit. Mason had seen to it that it had been delivered, but she knew Kate would've preferred to have been told straight away. Wanting to feel normal, she squeezed her sisters hand. "I know, I just hope it doesn't take too long. I can't abide being cooped up like this." She'd be so bored. "Actually, would you be able to get me some books? Something to pass the time, y'know." She'd started reading again, during her training she'd spent all her time in the Ministry. Now she had more time for books. Stefan worked in a bookshop, as far as she could remember, so hopefully there would be a few books lying around she might be able to borrow. "I do want to apologise though. I know you probably should've been the first person to be allowed in, but I had to see my boss first, I needed to be de-briefed." Apparently, it wouldn't be long before her name appeared in the media which wasn't great news.

She was safe now, that much was true. She was a bit worried about work, well more than a bit. She'd gone on her very first mission and been injured. That had to be a reflection on her. She couldn't imagine Mason putting her on any other cases. It was a frustrating thought. "I know they will. I hope Mam and Dad aren't too over the top about this though. It is my job, to be fair. Though who knows after this; Talarico probably thinks I'm a flight risk." She was angry with herself, very angry. At least if she could remember, she'd know what she'd done wrong. "God I hope so. I'm of no use if I can't remember what happened." She couldn't provide any information. "I mean, if I could tell them what spell it was or such." She wanted to be at that trial. She wanted to see Brandt go down, but she wasn't sure she'd be able to, or if she'd be allowed. This was a big trial, it would be hard to get into. "How are you Kate? I haven't seen you in an age. My fault." She'd been so busy. It still felt odd that her sister was married. "Have you heard from Star and Ryan?" She heard from the terrible two from time to time; they seemed to be enjoying themselves. Ryan's music career seemed to be going well, and Star's photography. It had been even longer since she'd seen them, she'd have to make time to visit.

Kate hated hospitals, she had such bad memories. For so much of her teenage years she had spent her time in hospitals. She greatly appreciated the work they did, it was an inspiration really what they did for society. But Kate just hated the smell, the atmosphere and the feeling of the building closing in around her. She did her best to avoid them if at all possible but she hadn't even though about her dislike of hospitals when she recieved the letter about Sara. She just grabbed whatever she could and got there as quickly as possible. "Yeah of course, any kind in particular?"She asked smiling, she was Sara's servant, anything she wanted, Kate would do. It was the least she could do for her sister. It was horrible, being stuck in a bed with nothing to do. Kate waved her away, once again she knew her sister. She knew how important her work was to her . "It's okay don't worry"She said smiling sympathetically "It must be a pretty important case"She said worriedly "And don't worry, I know you probably can't tell me"She said stopping Sara before she apologised. She understood, the Ministry had to be careful , the aurors couldn't go around telling their families or friends anything about their cases.

"Hey, they are probably used to it by now"She said grinning slightly. It was a morbid joke but she was trying to lighten the mood. "You were just unfortunate, I'm sure it was through no fault of your own"She said squeezing her hand once more assuredly. Sara was capable , she worked hard. She wouldn't have done anything stupid, especially since it was her first mission. With Sara talking, Kate began to get some picture of the type of work she'd been on. She was dying to ask for the details but she knew she coudln't. Kate for the first time, properly smiled. "Really good actually" and it was. She and Stefan had even spoke about having children. While at first he had been reluctant, they had talked it out like couples were supposed to do and had eventually come to an agreement. It made Kate so happy. For a girl who had never really dreamed of having children, she was had such a desire now. Maybe it was because she was with Stefan and they idea of sharing a little human with him was wonderful . She shook her head "You have been busy , as have I. The life of an Auror and primary school teacher are always busy"She said smiling "I could have tried harder also, and other than this incident. how have you been?"She asked smiling, it was good to catch up. She had many friends but not many of them were witches or wizards. This in fact reminded Kate of something else "Actually I met a girl Ainslee, she's a witch and we actually went to her brother's wedding, from England!"She exclaimed . This had been her first time meeting someone from that part of her life who was magical. Curiously she wondered, had Sara? Kate blew out "I try to keep in touch, I apparate over there sometimes over the holidays but nothing recently"She said. She was happy her younger siblings were doing so well, they had been on such a dark path before.

Sara could feel herself growing tired. That was odd. She supposed it was to be expected; she'd been sleeping a lot recently. She hated the sleeping, hated the dreams that came with it. She'd never been the one who'd needed looking after. Well, she'd never allowed herself to be looked after. When Kate was sick, when Ryan was acting up. When Sara did the same thing, tried to be tough, tried to shut them all out; she hadn't allowed anyone to help. Now she had no choice, she could only lie there and wait to feel better. "You know my taste, something about people." She liked a book with good characters; no matter how much action took place, or how beautiful the language used, Sara required well-rounded characters for her to be fully emotionally invested in a book. "I'm sorry, it's frustrating for me too. Apparently the papers already know that there's an auror in here, so it shouldn't be long until they find out my name." Which meant someone might come seeking Kate out, unfortunately.

Kate was her sister, and as such Sara understood her sense of humour. She grinned in unison with her sister, though the expression looked strange on her gaunt face. "I don't know. I just hope Talarico won't keep me out of the field." That would be real torture. Sara, in a way, enjoyed her office work, but she wouldn't give up the field for the world, not if she could help it. The only reason she could ever see for retiring from the field might be if she had children, but even then she wasn't sure she'd be able to give it up. That was why she'd become an auror; to actually be out there in the world, doing something to combat dark magic. "That's good. I always feel as though you and Stefan are just a staple in the world." Stefan and Kate had always been meant for each other. They were, for Sara, an example of a perfect couple. She couldn't imagine having that kind of bond with someone. "God yeah, do you remember when Summer holidays would come and Mam would nearly collapse from the stress of the year?" she laughed, their Mother was a primary school teacher. Much as she tried to hide it, Sara was fairly sure that her Mother was delighted that her daughter had followed in her footsteps. "I've been okay, very, very busy of course. Work has been hectic, I've been constantly on call. Trying to make more time for a social life also. It's been good, repetitive, but good." she responded, with a sigh. Social life was gone out the window now. She probably looked like the wreck of the Hesperus. When Kate mentioned a wedding, Sara had to cast her mind back. She'd always liked finding connections with people. "That's mad! A wedding in England... The name was an M or something wasn't it; Marshall or something?" She could remember it vaguely; a big do, there was some sort of title thing too? "I haven't been over since my last break, which was a good few months ago now. I need to catch up with them; maybe when I'm well." She missed her siblings, but she had very little time to see them when she was working so constantly.

Kate mentally listed the books she could get for her sister. Although she was safe now, the after affects would be hard. She knew from experience that it was almost harder after the event. The flashbacks, the dreams and Sara had the added frusration of being unable to remember exactly what happened. But in thinking that, it was good, maybe these flashbacks would help her remember things. Kate sighed, she hated seeing her sister so defeated looking. Well at least she had a chance now to make up for all the times Sara had looked after her. Kate didn't care what Sara said, she was going to help her and mind her. Her face grew worried at her twin's next sentence. It wouldn't help anyone if the papers knew Sara's name . It would just be hassle. The longer it was until they found out the better. Kate herself didn't need the bother of them either. She and Stefan lived their quiet, uneventful, happy life. Well she hoped it wouldn't come to that anyways.

Kate shook her head, maybe for a little while . Sara needed rest and Kate was sure her boss knew what was best for Sara. He wasn't going to throw her back ino the field the minute she got better. "He knows whats best for you"She said comfortingly. She needed to be in tip top shape before she went back and do that sort of work. Kate smiled dreamily. She did that sometimes when she thought of Stefan. She loved him so so much.She wanted that happiness for Sara. As far as she knew, Sara wasn't with anyone. She just wanted her sister to be happy, she deserved it. "Anyone in your life?"She asked curiously with a slight twinkle in her eye. She remembered when Sara had gone out with her good friend Jake. He was another friend Kate had lost contact with over the years. Kate sighed, it was extremely tiring work. Small children were no piece of cake but she loved her job. "It was a well deserved break"Kate exclaimed laughing. Teachers were often ridiculed for their long breaks, but they certainly needed them. "We should meet up more"Kate smiled. She didn't have a very active social life either. She had her few friends and she spent time with Stefan. They went out someimes and did nice things together "Hey , if you like we can go out sometime"She suggested . It could be fun, she hadn't gone out in such a long time. "Yes Maxwell , she's a lovely girl. She invited the whole family over for dinner"She said happily "Yeah, they are a big family, powerful". Kate wasn't entirely sure, there was definitely a title there somewhere. "I'm sure they'll be visiting soon"

Kate's visit had done Sara a great deal of good. It was odd, being reminded of how much family actually meant to her. She needed her sister, the security of knowing Kate would always be there was especially reassuring. She knew that should the situation be reversed, she would be at Kate's side immediately and after so many years of not quite being in sync with each other, it was nice to know they'd always have each other's back. "Thank you Kate, for coming, I mean I knew you would, but... I just really needed to see you." It felt strange to say that, to simply tell someone the truth about her feelings; it wasn't her forté. She was older than Kate by a few seconds, but often she felt her twin was much wiser, more mature in many ways. It was odd, at times she felt so much older than her years, but right now she felt like a powerless child.

"I know, I just hope this hasn't blown things. I do love it, which sounds mad because I'm so stressed, but it's a good stress." Sara loved her job, and she'd hate to be stuck behind a desk forever. She didn't think Mason would do that to her. When had she started thinking of him by his first name? She'd need to watch that, it wasn't advisable to suddenly start referring to her boss so casually. "No, the usual. I'm too busy for dating. I barely go out anymore if I'm honest; quite the turnaround. I think Mam is beginning to worry that she'll never have grandchildren from me Ryan and Star; she's pinning all her hopes on you." Sara laughed. Kate would make a great Mother, and Stefan a great father; it would be nice to be an aunt too. "God, I don't really know if there's a man on earth who could deal with my job. I mean, guys always seem to want to protect you or look after you. Dating an auror is counter-productive in that regard." She added, raising a hand to push back her hair, and ignoring the shot of pain at the back of her neck. That was worrying; the pain seemed to be centered around her spine. "Yes we should, go to dinner or something. I've been too distant. I need to remember there's life outside the department." She did have friends, who she'd be there for in the drop of a hat, but she needed to maintain more regular contact with people. "Ahh, I remember." She could feel herself becoming drowsy, but didn't want the visit to end. "That'd be nice, weird though, that we knew them in the muggle world." She hadn't experienced that, and imagined it would be an odd situation.

Kate grinned widely. She was glad Sara found Kate's visit helpful. She herself could see that Sara looked better, well had perked up a good deal. A small amount of worry left her shoulders but she was under no illusions that Sara had a long road of recovery ahead of her. Kate was just thankfully her sister was alive and beside her. Kate didn't know what she would do if she lost any of her family members. They were just too important, no matter what arguements they had , family was family. "I'm always here if you need me"She whispered squeezing her sister's hand. It felt good to be looking after Sara. Her poor twin had tried her best with Kate and had been such a tower of strength. It was Kate's own fault for pushing her away, it was nice to be able to return the favour somewhat. Kate also knew if anything happened Star or Ryan, she would be at their side. Once the two knew Sara was in hospital, Kate knew they would make their way over here as fast as they could. No matter what, if the family bond is strong, you can always count on them. Kate was forever grateful, everyone had put their differences and problems aside and embrace the help offered. The current situation would have been unimaginable a few years ago but now here they were.

Kate on some level could understand. For some people, work was their life. They couldn't imagine living with out it. She herself didn't think she had that relationship with her job. Sure she loved it and she worked hard at her job, but if it began having a negative effect on her relationship with Stefan or it was too time consuming she would have to do a revaluation of her life. She nodded nonetheless because she knew her sister and she knew how important this job was to her. "It hasn't, I'm sure many aurors have got injured on these type of missions"She pointed out. Unless an Auror requested, she doubted they were put behind a desk when injured. If that was the case, Kate was sure there wouldn't be many out on the field. "So all Aurors are single then?"Kate asked raising her eyebrows but grinning. There was a way around everything. However the next part of Sara's sentence made Kate blush. Maybe because she and Stefan had decided it was time to maybe try and have children. She nervously tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. She wasn't sure why it made her nervous and embarrassed but she just hoped Sara hadn't noticed. "Don't be silly, there is someone out there for you"Kate spoke confidently. Sara was beautiful, stunning. She had a wondeful personality , she would find someone with whom her life worked. Kate clapped her hands excitedly, going out for dinner would be lovely.Although her job was important, she needed to try and have a balance. "I know, it was so strange, she is a lovely girl though". It was then Kate noticed Sara's drowsy expression "Do you want to go to sleep?"She asked softly. Kate didn't mind, Sara needed to get better and Kate would go and get some books and stay for a while, just to make sure her twin was okay.

Sara was getting more and more tired. She felt so safe with Kate here, and didn't want to sleep; what would sleep bring, but nightmares and darkness? She was so afraid to close her eyes, but one could only stay awake for so long. "I know, me too." she whispered, squeezing Kate's hand back. It was such a nice feeling, having her sister near. They'd had their differences, they'd both made mistakes, but at the end of the day Sara loved Kate. They shared a history; nobody knew her like Kate. Yes, Ryan and Star were her siblings too and she loved them dearly, but she and Kate had always been a part of each others lives, always would be. She was glad her family life was good now. For a number of years she'd worried they would never overcome their difficulties. She knew her parents had been very worried, but now they were all the better for having faced obstacles. They valued each other more now. Sometimes still, Sara looked at Kate and wondered how they'd turned out so different. Kate was so open, and honest about her feelings; something Sara struggled with, preferring flippant remarks and jokes to trusting someone. Kate and Stefan were such a strong unit; would she ever find that?

It was true that aurors got injured all the time, but the timing of this injury was incredibly unfortunate. She'd wanted to perform well in this mission; to prove she could work in the field, but instead she'd ended up in hospital. It wasn't ideal. "Not all of them, just the best ones." she replied, sticking her tongue out at Kate. She understood where Kate was coming from though; she wanted the best for Sara and vice versa. In truth, she did want to find someone, but she was afraid. That would mean opening yourself up to being hurt and she wasn't sure she could do that. She'd never been truly open with a man in her life, even with her male friends she tried to focus on their problems rather than her own life. She smiled weakly at Kate's excitement. Her eyes were starting to close now. She couldn't help it. The idea of dinner with Kate was nice though; something to look forward to. She needed to make more time for family and friends. She needed to make more time in general. Her life couldn't revolve around work, it wasn't healthy. "Maybe just for a bit." she replied, yawning. Her eyes closed gradually, and she drifted off to sleep. In a few hours time, she'd wake shaking, terrified, but for now she was calm and peaceful.

Kate could see her sister's eyes starting to drop. She hid a smile. Her mind wandered to those easier times. When life was simple and all that mattered was who played who in their many 'house' games. They all had had a wonderful childhood at home. Their parents had been great, extremely supportive and open. They let the Moon children be who they wanted to be. However Kate always regretted the fact she didn't stand up for her twin in primary school. She had just brushed it off and told Sara not to worry. She had been so naieve. She didn't think anyone could be mean or evil enough to bully someone. The idea had been totally foreign to her young mind. Sara's refusal to talk about the matter hadn't helped but that was Sara. Kate herself always knew when Sara was upset but she hadn't wanted to push her when she was upset. Kate had then messed things up in Hogwarts as well. Kate shook her head, suddenly angry at herself for being so small minded and selfish. She let out an angry breath before controlling her emotions. What mattered now was Sara getting better and Kate would be by her side the whole way. People often asked did twins have a 'special' connection. Kate had to admit, there was something. Up until a certain point, she had spent every minute of her life with Sara. They know each other like no other. Despite the distance that had developed between the two in the past, it almost felt as if nothing had changed.

Kate laughed, she was glad her sister still had the capacity to make jokes. She just wanted her to be happy. Kate was forever grateful she and Stefan had turned out like they had. He was her other half and she was lucky to have found someone she had such a connection with. She had faced the pain and hardship early in her life and she sometimes forgot that this didn't happen to most people. They still had all this ahead of them when they left school. "I just want you to be happy Sara"She smiled sadly. It didn't matter how her life worked as long as it made her happy. They would meet more though, Kate would make sure of it. Everyone needs family. They are your supporting blocks. Kate may still have issues with her parents but she couldn't deny that they had done a good job with the Moons. They had all turned out pretty well and all of them valued family. Sara maybe just needed to pull back slightly from the work and make time to relax and meet friends and family. Kate could do a bit of that herself but she always had Stefan which made life that bit easier. "It will do your body good"She said quietly, watching her sister fall to sleep. Unfortunately Kate knew Sara's sleep would be riddled with nightmares. It was always the way but she knew her sister was strong and Kate was always going to be by her side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back