Well the last name is Chaos after all

Charles could not be more glad that he had invited his godson to this dinner. Charlie did not know the full extent of his plan but so far Mike had been making it too easy for the two Durmstrang graduates to point out his flaws. He almost seemed sure that his daughter wouldn't fall for someone as dim-witted as Mike so he began to relax a little, maybe they were just roommates after all. The two younger males continued to discuss their careers and he nodded in agreement with his godson when he pointed out that although Mike's career as an Auror was respectable, it was also an insecure line of work. Charlie knew all too well from his brother-in-law that Death Eaters were still well at large. "Good point Charlie," he said, focusing his attention back on his daughter. "You see, you can't trust that you'll always have a place to live with Mike, so you should just come back home," he tried to reason.

Charles let the conversation continue as he ate his dinner and focused on keeping his younger children in check and not play with their food when he heard his godson mention the school they had both graduated from. "Absolutely," he agreed wholeheartedly. He had continuously tried getting Isabella to go to Durmstrang before she had gotten her wizarding letter while his late wife Daphne had wanted her to go to her school Beauxbatons, but in the end Isabella had chosen neither and gone to Hogwarts New Zealand instead. After a few more years of persuasion Charles had finally convinced his daughter to attend his alma mater however it had not exactly gone well, obviously. It was a battle he struggled with constantly at night wondering how he could've prevented it. If he had never convinced her to go would she have never met him and gotten into this mess? There was also the possibility that had she attended Durmstrang for all seven years she would've met a more suitable guy there than a professor. At Hogwarts New Zealand she was stuck meeting people like this Mike guy and he shuddered to think what if she had instead been impregnated by someone like him.

Not wanting to think of those such things anymore Charles looked back at Mike, remembering he had asked him if he still worked. "Of course I still work, why wouldn't I?" he said harshly. He was only fourty-four, hardly an age to retire. There had been the time when his twins had just been born that he had quit his job at the Italian Ministry of Magic to help his wife raise them, but as soon as they were old enough he got a job at the New Zealand Ministry of Magic because it drove him crazy not being able to work. They had purchased a home in New Zealand to help accommodate his new job but they found it was seldom used as they could just Apparate back and forth so they had sold it. Figuring it was best to answer his question Charles said, "I work as an Unspeakable for the New Zealand Ministry of Magic," glad that his work forbade him from saying anything more on his job because he did not feel like conversing with Mike much. He realized that because Mike was an Auror they might accidentally run into each other and it wasn't something he looked forward to happening but was very glad that his Department was way underground, furthest away, and that they never had to do business with other Departments.

Deciding that this dinner had gone on long enough Charles decided to finally get to the point, the reason why he had called this gathering together. He looked at his daughter who was sitting across from him and sighed softly. "Isabella, come home," he started off softly, using this plea as his opening. "You can be closer to your family," he gestured to himself and his two younger children sitting on both sides of him. "And you can be closer to Charlie. He's a respectable young man with a good career, he can obviously provide for you. Most importantly you two have known each other your entire life, you know each other better than anyone else, and the family already approves of him," he said perfectly calmly as if this were normal dinner conversation all the time. He took a moment to look over at his godson wondering if he would accept his proposal and help him in this quest as well, all the while ignoring Mike since this matter obviously didn't concern him.

Isabella glared at Charlie as he brought up the fact that his stupid team had beaten the Holyhead Harpies last year. She knew he had only done it to annoy her because he knew that was her favorite team. If Isabella had not been as passionate as she was for journalism she would've pursued Quidditch as a career professionally, but even now she felt it was too late since she hadn't played in a few years. In truth Charlie's team wasn't too bad, it had just never been a team she supported even before he had joined it, and his bragging now did nothing to help them gain a fan. As Charlie berated Mike about the dangers of being an Auror Isabella actually stopped to ponder this possibility. Truthfully she had never thought of an unfortunate outcome such as Charlie had described but it was very much possible and the brunette couldn't help but bite her lip worriedly. Still, it was probably unlikely that Mike would get hurt, he was a skilled wizard and had been the leader of the Students Defense Association all throughout their time at Hogwarts, he clearly knew how to protect himself.

The conversation had continued normally with talk of careers and Isabella had remained quiet, as she was currently unemployed. She had remembered what the Healer who'd come to visit her a few weeks before had told her, about how she had to move out, move on, and pursue her true passion in order to truly start living again. At the time it had felt almost impossible, but Isabella was getting better, and she knew it was all thanks to Mike. Before she knew it her father was addressing her directly. Isabella snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at her father, vaguely registering what he first said. When he first said she could be closer to her family she opened her mouth to protest once again and say she would come visit more often if they wanted, but his next statement caught her completely off guard and her mouth remained open in disbelief. She continued to listen to what her father was saying, finally figuring out what he was trying to say. Her mouth went from being open in disbelief to clenched tightly in anger. She hated how everyone in her family loved Charlie and thought he was absolutely perfect when Isabella knew how he really was. And judging by what her father was saying it was clear he didn't know what his dear old godson had been up to the past couple years. Isabella looked over at Charlie for a moment, wondering how he was taking this but then turned back to her father, not really caring what Charlie thought at all. He was probably in on this too just to further annoy Isabella. Finally Isabella said, "You're kidding right?" There was no way she could be interpreting her father's words correctly, she was misunderstanding. "This has to be a joke," she told herself, shaking her head lightly. "Right?" she asked looking angrily from her father back to Charlie. If this was their idea of a sick joke Isabella was not going to hold back on whipping out her wand any longer.

"I don't really follow Quidditch round these parts. I'm more interested in teams in Europe, the likes of Britain and Ireland. That's where all the best players are. And correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only 2, no 3 teams around these parts, including Australia, so it's not a massive achievement being top out of 3 teams. " Mike said, perhaps being untruthful about the best Quidditch players playing in Europe, but only said it in order to annoy Charlie. "Worried? Yes, but that's natural. Same with you, as I expect you'd be nervous before a Quidditch match. Although if you weren't, I'd either suspect you were lying or that you're arrogant" Mike said, and a fool he thought to himself. " I'd think it's quite rare for things to happen to an Auror these days. Many Aurors in my department have been in the field for decades and have survived virtually unscathed. Perhaps it may take a bit of luck and skill, but if I keep a level head at times, and follow what my training has taught me then I'm sure I'd be fine. And I'd think if the worst did happen, then my family would know what I've died for. What I died protecting; the safety of New Zealand. I think that firmly outweighs the importance of my life, or anyone else's life. And I have enough money" Mike stated. "I inherited it, when my Father died." Mike said, leaving out the fact that he was murdered. "But I fail to see why'd that would involve you anyway" Mike said, looking at Charles, before taking a sip of his drink.

"And Bella can have my apartment if something ever did happen to me, and that I had no family if she ever wanted. The rent is not very high, and I'd leave money to cover the cost of the rent for Bella, for any of my friends if ever needs be." Mike said, looking at Charles. "So how come Bella didn't attend Durmstrang then?" Mike asked, when hearing that both Charles's had attended there. "Just wondering" Mike asked in reply to why he wouldn't be working. Great. Now we work in the same building. Just great Mike mused to himself, upon hearing he also worked at the Ministry, although as an Unspeakable, Mike wouldn't have to see him much, if at all.

Mike listened, as Charles attempted to plead with his daughter to come home, but tried to play down the defensive of trying to get Bella to stay at his apartment, for fear of blowing their cover, and uncovering what it was they really were. At the end of the day, Bella's a grown woman. If she wants to stay with her family she can. I'll try and make it work. I'll give it my all to make it work. Mike mused, whilst Charles attempted to describe his Godson in a good light. Christ, the sun doesn't shine out every one of his orifice's Mike said to himself in response to Charles's description of Charlie. Respectable? Mike choked on his drink, hoping to pass it off as a cough. He listened with relief as Bella acted the way he wished, by remarking the whole attempt as a joke. " I think Charles, that Bella can make up her own mind. She's obviously doing a lot better than previously. Now, as a friend to Bella, it is my duty to look after her. I have done. I've given her a room at my apartment, and helped her through everything and I feel that being in a new environment is a welcome sight for Isabella, after all she's gone through. I think it's clear that she isn't fond of your suggestion" Mike said honestly. " At the end of the day, I think what we all want is what's best for Isabella" Mike said, giving her a friendly smile, and put his hands on her thigh quickly, in attempt to show that he was there for her whatever she decided to do and that more importantly, he loved her with all of his heart.

Charles had expected this reaction from his daughter, but only because he brought it up without warning so it simply caught her off guard. He really did feel like there was something there between Isabella and Charlie and the only reason they picked on each other so much was because they were trying to hide it. He figured if he just came out and announced these things to the both of them neither of them would have to deny it anymore. Charles simply looked at his daughter with a serious face to indicate that he was not at all joking. It had been something he and Daphne had actually discussed when they were younger since the two already spent all their time together and the family loved Charlie.

When Mike began speaking on Bella's behalf, Charles removed his gaze from his daughter and over to him with an annoyed look. "Frankly Mike, this is none of your business, so I suggest you keep quiet." The time for politeness was over for Charles as he now focused on what this dinner had really been about, to get Isabella and Charles together, and not to meet her temporary roommate. "As you say, if Isabella seems to be doing better with the likes of you, imagine how much more she'd improve with someone of a higher class like Charles," he said gesturing over to Charlie, oblivious to the real life of his godson. "What's best for Isabella is to be here, with her family, and Charlie. You two have always picked on each other and it's about time you guys stop pretending as if there isn't anything there between you two," he said, staring from his daughter to Charlie, waiting for his reply in hopes that his godson would be the first to admit it to help Isabella accept the proposal.

Charles knew tonight was going to be a good night, him teasing Bella and her glaring back at him, it was the way things were supposed to be with them two, it worked so well that it shouldn’t be changed. Although he had the extra bonus tonight of being able to argue with her new boyfriend roommate. Charles didn’t particularly care what Bella did but he knew her father absolutely hated this so playing to his good side was always fun, not that he needed to buy Charles’ affection in any way as the man already loved him as if he was his own son. Charlie listened to Mike try to defend himself and...oh was that a kick at Charles and his team. With frowned eyebrows he questioned, “So you’re not so good with teams outside of New Zealand but you prefer European teams? Really Mike just stop trying to make it sound like you know anything about Quidditch, you can’t even keep your story straight.” he said, finding it amusing that the boy couldn’t seem to make his mind up. Finishing his drink he discarded his food as he was now full, not having enjoyed it as much as he could have with Mike’s insufferable chit chat. As Mike started to ramble on in response to what Charlie said about protecting his family if something ever happened to him, he faked a yawn here and there, they guy knew how to talk that’s for sure, shame he didn’t know when to just shut up. When the topics of schooling came up Charlie was more than proud to have hailed from Durmstrang and not some sissy school such as Hogwarts, he didn’t understand how people could be proud of that. When Mike commented on why Bella didn’t attend the school...to Charlie it was simple and it was clear that Mike probably didn’t know Bella as well as he should. He would have voiced his opinion but he thought it was more than obvious that Bella did what she wanted and got what she wanted, not really caring what people thought; it was the only really admirable aspect of the brunette that Charlie could ever see in her but would never admit it to anyone. “Just wonder a bit more, it should come to you.” Charlie told Mike, he really didn’t have to think hard. Charlie scoffed to himself when his godfather answered Mike’s question about working. What did Mike really think the man did every day if not work?

The young man sat back in his chair, now he was full he could really enjoy the rest of the evening, Mike was far too much fun to pick on, but then again, he brought it on himself as he was leaving comments wide open for remarks. He turned his attention back to his Godfather as the real reason for tonight started to show. He could understand how Charles wanted Bella to come home; he was bound to miss her after getting so used to her being home. Although when he heard his name being mentioned he moved forward in his chair, his eyebrows frowned with confusion...why did it matter if she was closer to him? To be perfectly honest Charlie didn’t care where Bella lived and he was sure that she didn’t care if she was closer to him. Charlie sat with his mouth open, what was Charlie on? The distress of Bella’s pregnancy and her moving out to live with a boy like Mike must be getting to him...that was the only was all he could think would bring on this madness; there was nothing else for it. “With all due respect Charles, the reason me and Bella have picked on each other all these years is because we can’t stand each other.” he said, speaking some sense, and truth. “I can promise you there’s no hidden anything there. And the only thing between us is a mutual understanding...at best.” he added to ensure him further. Sighing slightly he looked at Mike and back to Charles. “And as much as it pains me, I agree with Mike. Bella can decide what’s best for her. You’ve known her as long as I have Charles and no one can tell her what to do when she has her heart set on something else.” He added, not knowing what had come over him but he was in this too and wasn’t up for being set up with Bella of all people.

Charles had to admit he was a bit surprised when his godson didn't immediately agree with his proposal and grew angrier at the fact that he began agreeing with Mike. Why didn't these adolescent kids realize that he was older and knew what he was talking about; he had more experience in life than they did and knew what was best for his own daughter. The older man closed his eyes and sighed, not wanting to take his anger out on his godson and especially not at the dinner table where his younger children were still seated. Charles quickly looked down at his two younger children sitting on each side of him quietly, looking up at him with big questioning eyes, unsure what was going on or afraid to say anything, so he quickly called their caretaker over to send them off to bed. Everyone seemed to be finished with their dinners so he also called the maid over to take their dishes away into the kitchen. Once these necessities were done and he could hear that his younger children were well out of earshot he looked back over at the three sitting across from him; it wasn't that he was going to do anything dangerous, he just preferred to have this conversation with them alone.

"Clearly Isabella has not made the best choices in her life so no, she doesn't know what's best for herself," he said harshly, looking briefly over at his daughter. He didn't mean to belittle or embarrass her but it was truth that needed to be said for them to realize he was right. He then turned to his godson and said, "Look, you and Bella only say you hate each other because it's what you've been saying since you were kids but don't you realize that you know her better than anyone else?" he said, referring to the comment he made about his daughter just a moment ago. "I know you can take care of her and provide for her the way she should be. You're a good man and you can keep her out of the kind of trouble she seems to get herself in," he said sternly, referring to the unwanted pregnancy and its complications. Charles had not expected to have to convince his godson of his plan so he sighed once more, he had thought only Isabella would meet him with some resistance, but it didn't matter to the older man, it just meant he was going to have to work twice as hard to give his daughter what she deserved.

Isabella watched with disgust as the conversation continued around her, about her, but no one seemed to be talking to her or asking for her opinion on the matter. She crossed her arms across her chest and leaned back as if simply waiting for her turn but was gritting her teeth waiting to be addressed on the matter. Though as soon as her father sent her siblings off to bed she knew things were about to get serious. Her father wasted no time in insulting her, though she shouldn't have been surprised since he had been insulting Mike all evening but she felt it was a low blow since she was his daughter. It was one thing to want to guide you daughter in the right direction for a few mistakes done, but she felt her father was going about it the wrong way entirely.

Finally as her father kept praising Charlie for what a 'wonderful' guy he was who could supposedly keep her in check, Isabella slammed her hands on the table, having had enough. "Excuse me but has anyone stopped to ask me what I want?!" she said over them. "I mean you guys are talking about me as if I'm not even here when I'm sitting right in the middle of all of you!" she pointed out with an eye roll. "You guys keep saying I know what's best for myself, so let me speak," she said to Mike and Charlie, obviously not her father since he didn't think she knew what was best for herself.

She exhaled loudly, trying to let some anger out that way instead of yelling or hexing them and looked up at her father sitting across the table from her. "Dad the fact that you would think I'd like Charlie is beyond gross. He is a foul, arrogant prick whom you clearly know nothing about. I may be a snotty b!tch but at least everyone knows I am, I don't fake it. Charlie on the other hand is completely fake to everyone!" she exclaimed. Before her father could speak Isabella continued, once she had started going off it's like she couldn't stop. "Charlie isn't this good little angel like you think he is, just like I am not, stop denying it and deal with it. What happened with Edw-- at Durmstrang was my fault" she admitted, going slightly off topic but felt it was something she had been holding in for so long. "But I was not 'seduced' or whatever you've gone and told Charlie's parents. It was my choice, in case you forgot I can make those on my own. I may not have made the best ones but you can't make them for me, period." Isabella looked over at Charlie for a brief second, debating with herself on whether or not to say what was on the tip of her tongue but she just wanted this dinner to be over with and she knew her father would not stop insisting on the two of them together if she didn't. So she turned back to her father and said, "And by the way if you want someone to keep me from 'getting in trouble' Charlie is the last person to do that since he got some girl from my school knocked up a few years ago, and now he has a daughter," she stated matter of factly, crossing her arms with finality. She didn't care that she had just blown Charlie's secret and ruined his good image with her father, at least she wouldn't be the only one chastised anymore.

Mike was surprised that Charlie agreed with him, although it still didn't make him like him, and was glad that he thought that there was nothing between then at all. Mike looked at Charles. He seemed like a sly little fox, attempting to set his daughter up with his godson, because he thought it was right, that it would work. He seemed like a little warped man, fixated with trying to control Isabella, her choices, her life. It seemed he failed to see Isabella was a grown woman, her own person, who can make every decision for herself. She didn't need to be controlled by anyone, and that included her Father. He understood Charles wanted what was best for his daughter, but he should just accept that sometimes life isn't perfect, and that he has to accept that she'd make decision that he didn't agree with and just bloody well live with it.

He listened as her Father said that she didn't know what was best for herself and had not made the best decisions. Wow, that's extremely harsh Mike said. He listened as Charles yet again attempted to try and match Bella and Charlie together, despite now his godson even confirming that there was nothing between them, and that it wouldn't work. He then listened as Bella spoke. Foul, arrogant prick? Seems like she's being soft on him Mike joked, although those 3 words just about summed him up in Mike's opinion. It was my choice. The words did sting, but Mike continued to listen as Bella fought her case valiantly. Mike did not expect what Bella had just said. He chortled into his drink, and put the cup back on the table. His jaw dropped, he was gobsmacked. Charlie's19 for Christ sake and he already had a daughter? He looked to Charles, to see his reaction. The perfect godson, the perfect final for Bella in his eyes was well, not so perfect anymore.

"Charles, I may be speaking out of turn, but as Bella has said before she is capable of making her own decisions. I know that you have Bella's best interests at heart, and just want what's best for her and I truly understand that, but have you ever considered what's she wants? What she thinks that's best for her? You seem fixated on controlling everything she does, more now than ever." Mike said referring to the accident. " I respect that you just want to do right by your daughter, and I'm sure Charlie will certainly agree that all a Father wants is for their daughter" Mike said, trying to suppress a laugh and remain serious. "And children in general is for them to live a happy and safe life. That's alls I'd want for my children" Mike said honestly. "Charles, you have to see that continuing to do this, to control every decision that Bella has to make won't make her happy, won't make her respect you, and it will probably drive you two apart. And speaking as a person who has lost their Father, their doesn't go a single day I don't miss him, but I count myself lucky that at least I still have family to rely on, and family is the most important thing to me. More important than my job, than education, than my pay check" Mike said. " And it seems that if you continue to do this, then your relationship as Father and Daughter will strain, and probably collapse if this keeps up. And you don't want that to happen do you?" Mike said, attempting to make Charles see it from another perspective. He may not be a fan on the guy, but his motive for were respectable albeit it too controlling, and alls he was trying to do was to make sure that Bella and her Father still stay on good terms for the rest of their lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back