well earned breakfast

Patrick O'Brien

Patrick walked into the Great Hall and looked about. It was relatively empty which was good. He sat down at a table and loaded a plate with some sausages and bacon. He poured himself a large glass of juice and opened his paper infront of him.
He was exhausted- the hospital wing seemed in complete disarray. Inventory stocks were low. He would need to find the potions professor and herbology professor inorder to replenish the dwiddling supply of healing potions.
He shook his head and took a healthy bite from a sausage.
Reading the paper quietly.

"Hey!" Andromeda came over and sat down beside her uncle Patrick. "Is it against school policy for me to sit with you a minute?" she kept her head low, she was still carrying her broom from her early flying class.

"I'm fine!" Andromeda sighed, who was she kidding. "remember I sort of wrote and said that I was thinking of going out to fly... without permission? Well I sort of did!"
She kept her head low and shrugged her shoulders.
"Big disappointment aren't I?"

Patrick looked at his niece then looked about the Great Hall, it was busy enough - he didn't want to embarress her by hugging her here infront of everyone. He knew that at some point she would begin acting out, grief was dealt with in lots of ways for the very young that didn't understand the intense impact it had on them - it meant vulnerablity, risk taking, attitude and more. He gently placed his hand on hers and smiled.
"Ace, we all do daft things. I certainly wasn't an angel. But you're the closest thing I've ever known to one! So listen to me now - you are a good kid! You are possible the nicest and most considerate kid I know. And after teaching four years of quidditch summer camps I know alot of kids!" he pulled an exasperated face, "You are not a disappointment. Not now or ever! But... don't be going pulling flying stunts unless you have someone older around or permission yeah? I know your good but ...for your own safety! I don't want you up in the hospital wing for all the wrong reasons!"
He patted her hand affectionately and speared his remaining sausage.
"Who's this Blane you wrote about?"

Andromeda smiled and looked at him. She was so glad he was here, it meant more to her than he would ever know.
"I won't go flying again I promise - at least not unless there's someone older about. I have to go up my Head of House now anyway", she sighed she wasn't looking forward to this at all. "Blane... he's a boy. He's with Hufflepuff house. He's nice really. He asked me out and i said yes". She twirled her broom in her lap not wanting to look at her uncles face just then.

Patrick's eyes widened, he looked at her. She was only 11yrs old what was she thinking!
"Ace, let me tell you for your own good. Keep him as a friend, you are too young. There is plenty of time for boyfriends when you're older! You're dealing with an awful lot right now - the added emotional rollercoaster of a first relationship you can well do without!" he looked at her sternly, wanting to meet this boy and give him a good shaking. But figured he was only a child as well.
"Promise me you won't do anything stupid", Patrick regretted the words as soon as he said them, "I mean ... forget what I meant. Just - just give yourself time to enjoy the school and your friends. Get on with your classwork, concentrate on your flying but don't get bogged down with boys, Ace! Not yet!"

Andromeda looked at him, her heart had been heavy and sore when she had come in. She had had in her view a bad flying class and hadn't even wanted to be around her friends. She felt guilty that in her heart she agreed with what he was saying about her dating boys. Would Blane understand? Maybe when they were older? She sighed... she stood up and looked at her uncle.
"I hear you Uncle P!" she smiled, she clutched her broom and went to walk away then she was turning back to him and not caring who saw her and what the other students might think, she gave him a hug.
"I love you!" she whispered.

Patrick was touched, he gently returned the hug and whispered,"I love you too Ace!" he sat back and looked at her, "what am I always saying to you? Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly. Will you do the same? Take yourself lightly?"
He hoped she would, she was way too young to be going around with the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back