OOC First Name
Madz
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Briar ♥
Recent news would not put him to ease. Werewolf Hunters?! This entire time there had been a threat living next door and the ministry didn't bother warning their citizens?! Reckless. Dederick wasn't one for reading the Prophet, must of the time what they printed wasn't worthy of a read. He just so happened to catch the headline when he went to purchase new bait for fishing. Dederick grabbed the print and took it home with him. He arrived throwing and tossing his gear off his back. The ministry had done a poor job alerting those like him. He thought how hypocritical of them, to have him and Briar to be looked after, borderline registered and they turn around and do this to them.

"Briar?" Dederick went calling out to his partner. There had to be some sort of explanation, there ought to be. Did she really fail to mention this to him? No, he wouldn't think so. Dederick knew Briar, she would've warn him if she had known. She didn't know. There was a point when she took some time away from the Ministry. That's to be expected with them, taking time away from their daily duties because they live under such exhausting conditions. Dederick was still mad, angry. Not at Briar, but at the ministry. Dederick called out to her again, pacing back and forth as he did and try to calm down. "Briar, hey, are you in there?" He tap the side of the boat to get her attention. He waited for her to come out.

It was the start of September. and Willow was back at school. Briar and dee were celebrating with a long weekend off on the boat. It was a nice weekend. there was something about the rhythmic rocking of the boat and the sound of waves lapping the side that made her feel calm and relaxed. unusually for her, she slept in later than dee.
Biar was woken suddenly by the sound of her name being called out. her eyes snapped open and she sat up. Even half asleep she could recognise the tension in her love's voice. She was out of bed before Dederick called again.
Briar slipped a jumper over her pyjamas opened the hatch and went out on deck. Her green eyes blinking against the bright sunlight, but the crisp early spring sea breeze still had an icy chill to it and made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, or maybe it was the tension she could see in Dederick, not just his voice but in his posture and expression. "Goodmorning, what's wrong" she said. her voice still a little groggy from sleep.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you babe?" Dedrick sighed, stepping back to calm himself. That's never an easy task, he was made angry the moment he was made into a werewolf. It's his way to repel others away from. It worked on many except Briar. She seem to be the only one who could withstand the sh!t he threw at her. "The ministry, that recent trial." Dederick went back in and handed over the Daily Prophet. "I could careless what happens to me, it's Willow who I'm worried about." Imagine if their daughter get a hold of that print, or made aware of the situation. There is where his concern was narrowed in this situation. She would be worried and frighten about both her parents. That can't do.

Dederick racked his fingers over his hair and let the cool morning air wash over him. It was nice feeling the sea breeze comb over them. It's therapeutic in his mind. He was a little less tense but remained more worried over Willow. "They didn't give a name or anything, so it could be anyone out there trying do us in, and then if Willow finds out there no telling what's gonna go through her head."

Briar smiled weakly as Dederick asked if he had woken her. "it is okay. I needed to wake up anyway she said still blinking in the sunlight. She watched as he crossed the deck and picked something off a table. he waved it and she could see the prophet. before he handed it to here.
It didn't take much to see what had worked him up. the headline across the front page spoke of werewolf killer. she rolled her eyes. it must be a slow news day. or one of the political candidates trying to make a name for themselves, probably the second one." she said. she watched him as he paced. When she realised what was upsetting him most she couldn't help but feel the twitch of a smile on her lips as she fell in love with him a bit more. "Willow's safe, she is at school. and you know that she is never around during a full moon. and if anything happened to us do you really think Emily, Iris or Madlyn would kick her out?" she asked looking him in the eye almost as if to challenge him to disagreeing with her as she named his mum, her mum and her sister. they had always looked after willow when it was a full moon. and she was sure that they would continue to look after her if they needed to, that was what family was there for. even her mix of a family. she slipped a reassuring arm around his back to try and calm him.
A few moments passed and Briar realised that this was something that needed more than a brief comment. "the attempted attack happened over a year ago, and there has been no attempt since. The trial was a few weeks ago when we were on holiday. The guys were charged as guilty and sentenced to life in Azkaban with no chance of parole." she said. one of the advantages of her job was that she got a lot of inside information and news. and whilst a lot of it she didn't bother reading anything that was involved with werewolves she kept an ear out for. "there are no names because children were involved and as they were minors it had to remain anonymous in all press coverage" she said. she hadn't thought about what would happen if Willow found out, would she be worried? she was a big girl, and she was sure that she had more important things on her mind than her parents.

He didn't know how much of that would get through his head. It's reassuring, but at the same time all he could do was worried about Willow. "Oh, is that so?" He struggles to stay focus. It was written by a Cat Tannon, wasn't she running for Ministry of Magic? If anything, she was bringing the ministry into the spot light with their reckless behavior. The woman may of convinced him to cast a vote for her, except he was never one to bother with these trivial things. He left that to Briar. This was different. "It's not that easy, Briar. If these people would've caught the both of us, she would be without a parent. Without you or me. Or not, they would've probably killed her too." That got him pacing the deck again. Dederick wanted to believe everything Briar spoke on the matter. It was just getting harder to be calm when people like these people wanted them dead. And he won't buy into it, there ought to be more of them out there. And the ministry keeping them quiet.

Dederick froze, her hands dropping to his shoulders. In effort to sooth his nerves, he allowed it. Getting worked up has made him exhausted already. He would've like to crawl back into bed and sleep for the remainder of the day. It doesn't help that a new moon was approaching within a week. "We need to restock on potions." He tells her. Dederick turns around to face the awful woman who dare blessed and cursed him with a child. A decision he sure to regret as she grew older and stubborn and more of her own person. "And maybe consider moving, maybe." He says this as his body pulled towards his lover. Dederick rested his forehead over hers. "Think about it, think for a good second." He murmurs, then plants a sweet kiss on her lips.

Briar nodded when Dederick asked to confirm her theory of the prophet and the minister for magic applications. a lot of the news articles were either written or sponsored by one candidate or another to make them look good, or written by someone else to try and get a reaction from the candidates. but saying this thought out loud would take the topic somewhere else and it was clear that this was the more important theme. to be honest, she hadn't thought of what would happen if anything would happen to them. the thought that she could get hurt was bearable, but the thought that Willow could get hurt because of them was an idea that was too painful to even think about which may be why she hadn't thought about that subject. 'I don't think they were part of a group. just s couple of mad, I can't even call them humans if they sent their own daughter out as bait she said, in her view the monsters were not the ones who turned into wolves once a month, but the ones who would put their own children at risk just to make a hunt, not even centaurs did that.

Dedericks next point was an easy thing to reply to. "I already have our order in at st mangos and it should be ready for this afternoon" she said. she liked to vary where she got the potion from between the hospital, the apothecary and making it herself. she liked the hospital best as she often got to catch up with her friend from school Jeremy. she caught dee's eyes and saw a torment in them that both made her want to run and made her want to comfort him. she didn't move until she felt him pulling her closer to her, like just like magnets their different approaches to the problems didn't matter they always found a way to come back together. he felt his forehead against hers, warm and familiar. as he muttered something about moving house. the words running through her head as he kissed her. almost as if he was trying to keep her mouth shut and give the thought time to process. it did the job as she kissed him back the come up with a response. "I cant hide. you still can, no-one knows about you, but I have been in the public eye for too long" she said. it was a simple fact. ever since Jaden West had outed her as being a werewolf almost 17 years ago back when she was still new to it. that had been her time when she could have chosen to hide and it had gone against every fibre in her body. she had taken the criticism and made it her own painting a massive target on her back just so that she could laugh as she dodged peoples bullets. hiding would undo all the work she had done since that day, the day she had taken it upon herself to be a role model for other young werewolves, someone they could look up to. and to improve the treatment for werewolves by the wizarding community. "If you don't feel safe on the property then we can look to buy somewhere new, we have enough money saved up to get something somewhere else. but remember how many protective charms we put over our property, it is unmappable, has some of the strongest muggle repelling charms on it, and most importantly we are secret keepers" she said. when she had brought the land with the money from her short-lived quidditch career she had gone about making it the safest place possible during full moons with the idea that any werewolf that didn't have a safe place to stay was welcome. The idea hadn't taken off, except for the odd extra person every now and then especially over the school holidays it was pretty much her and Dederick there sharing 100 acres during the full moon.

Dederick scuffs. He didn't like the way she said it, hiding. He wouldn't call it hiding, it was keeping Willow and her safe. "No one telling you to hide." He says as he pulls away. "But we are kind of vulnerable out here in the open." Charm or not, it was true. Someone ought to pick up their usual patterns. Someone out there was watching them, whether they noticed it or not. Living out here worried him. If it was just him alone, he wouldn't care. Dederick probably encouraged the attack. He didn't think he belonged here living. After turning Briar, he really didn't think he should be alive. With Willow, however that's all changed. Willow gave him purpose and the will to live another day. Briar's love and forgiveness had not been enough. Then she gave him a child, and his train of thoughts sorted of shifted over time.

"I don't." Dederick turn to Briar. "For Willow's sake, I think moving is the best idea. Maybe sell the boat or something." He shrugged. It's about time he parted ways with this rigged old thing. Or maybe hide it somewhere for a bit until his nerves weren't so riled up. This boat been with him for too long. Dederick looked it over, can he find it in himself to part ways with this old vessel? He stepped forward to lean over one of the railings. He can't forget it's his way of making money for his family, though Briar's position in the ministry those plenty for their small little family. "We can wait, we don't have to decide right away. Just be careful when you're out there at all times. And, write to Willow and make sure she alright? I don't want drive myself mad and end up busting in that school illegally." Dederick sighs, looking down at the water beneath him. The small rocking of back and forth will soon calm him down again. The boat had that effect on him. There was no way he could really let this old thing go. He couldn't do it and Willow wouldn't be too happy if he sold the boat without telling her first.

Briar looked around yes there were quite out in the open but they were pretty secluded in the middle of the sea. "in the sea, we are out in the open, but it means that we have a good view of everything around. smaller places may feel safer at times, but it is easier for people to sneak up on you" she said. not sure if this was helping the matter or not. she had grown up in a tribe and hunting was their main sauce of food. for the large spaces were okay hunting grounds for slow prey as her family had the speed to catch them. but she had always prefered the hunt in the form of an ambush where the surprise was of the essence and she could be involved.
Briar felt herself sink a little as Dederick that said that he didn't feel safe on the property. wondering how long he had felt like that. she loved her land, the paddocks and the bush and the woods, but she loved him more. "If you feel like that we could look for something with a little less space in New Zealand if you want." she said. she knew that he was serious in his concerns when he said that he would sell the boat. she knew how much the boat meant to him. "There is no way that you are selling this boat Dederick Cullen. she said her voice stern and her expression serious "I know how much it means to you. it was your house when you left school and has been your job since then. hell, it was on this deck that we first started dating" she said. trying to think of how to say what she meant to say without insulting the boat. "but it wasn't a new boat when you got it, and it is held together with so much magic you won't be able to sell it to a Muggle without breaking the statute of secrecy and no wizard will pay enough for it to match its value to you." she said. she was thinking. "we have enough saved up to afford something else. without selling the boat" she said. thinking, she actually remembered a bulletin she had seen at work. there was apparently a few openings in the wizengamot. she had been part of that counsel years ago before Willow had been born. and if she applied and was approved they would have a little more money coming in. "we will not rush but keep our eye open for somewhere else" she said. the prospect of moving somewhere with less space was not that appealing to her. she had always had so much space around her. but if it made him feel safe and happy she would try it. "I can write to her and make sure she is okay. but you know she listens to you more at the moment." she said.

Dederick huffs again, turning to face his partner. "The space...doesn't bother me. We're wild beast, space is what we need. Or...I don't know..." He couldn't make up his mind there and then. He wouldn't be able to when his mind was on Willow and Briar. Her voice snapped him out of his worried thoughts, he rolled his eyes at Briar. "You're keeper of objects too?" She was right. He smirks and wander closer to the wild woman that's stolen his heart. "Okay, I won't. I trust you more than that bloody newspaper. Hope you know that. I am nowhere mad at you for this, just so you know." He thought he should mention that to her. She may have worked for the ministry, but he trusted her to telling him the truth. That doesn't mean the ministry were off the hook with the man. He didn't know how Briar can work with those people. Well, she had her agenda in representing them and he had his, in keeping his family safe and well fed.

"Right, I'll write to her in a few days." He hasn't heard from Willow since she left for school, a few notes here and there but nothing thorough came from neither of them. "Can we plan something nice for the holidays? She would like that?" Dederick suggested. "What does she even like? Our daughter grown on us." Dederick grimace. He closed the space between Briar and stood leaning against her. "What about yourself?" He would asked as he hugged into her. Again, he at peace and a little less worried about those terrorist who are locked away in Azkaban. Funny, how he was the wild one and those normal and unlike them were the one locked away for trying to kill their kind. Isn't that how irony works? He most enjoyed the hypocrisy of it all.

Briar could see that Dederick was getting frustrated her reasoning mixed with his anger was a tricky combination. she put her arm around him and nodded her head . "we will look into it properly when things had calmed down and we have a clear head" she said. sure she loved her land, but if they moved she would love the new place too. after all, the land was just land, a home was where she was with Dederick and willow.
She rolled her eyes when Dee said that she was a keeper of objects too. "no, just ones that will be missed" she said. she had always been the kind of person who only kept the necessities. not someone who owned a lot of stuff.
As Dederick stepped towards her and said he trusted her more than the ministry and the newspaper she smiled "that is good to know" she said closing the distance towards him to kiss him. unfortunately just as they made contact a wave caused the boat to jolt leaving her stumbling onto one of the nearby benches that edged the deck.
As Dee started to talk about plans for the next holiday when willow was off she smiled. "she would like that" she said getting back onto her feet. "but hell I don't know what she likes anymore. I think we both learned the last break she doesn't like camping. she said it was clear after their last camping trip when willow hardly spoke to her for a good week afterwards. She did seem to much rather enjoy her time out on the boat helping with the fishing. "go and see a quidditch match maybe, or does one of the bands she likes have a show we could take her to. or maybe we should ask her" she said. it was then that she realised how close they were together leaning against each other as they stood. she rested her head against his chest and breathed in his scent. the warm musk of him tinged with a little bit of sweat but softened by the fresh smell of salt water and sea air. "I have everything I need right here" she said squeezing him slightly. "how about you? she asked looking up at him a spark of mischief alight in her eyes.

"You alright?" Dederick was amused that she still stumbles when a wave comes in. "And you're going to miss that?" He teased, offering his hand but she soon was on her feet again. "No, which is a shame. So many things to eat on a camping trip. It's practically a buffet for me." He cracked a smile showing off his ivory teeth. The man drank too much coffee, it showed in his smile. "I think she'd like that. I mean the quidditch one. A live band? You want me to kill someone?" Dederick laughed. It was the same sort of crowd, he could handle one versus the other. There was no way in hell he could stand to be in a crowd with roaring screams of teens in his ears. So quidditch it is. He missed those brief years when Briar played. He had grown used to seeing her play professional for a little while and then she quit due to Willow.

"Good." He roped her in a lot closer and kissed her lips. That look she gave sent him signaling. So, he picked up with both hands and placed her right over his left shoulder. The article was soon forgotten and he was taking her inside for a bit alone time with his partner. "Remind me later to write to Willow." He patted her back thighs with both hands, smirking. They disappeared into their little living quarters inside the boat for a couple hours. Dederick was the first out like on any normal evening. He was preparing to cook some fish over an open fire. The night before it had been shrimps, and tonight it was fish. The smell will wake her and sent her out into the deck without him having to call her out.

Briar nodded when Dederick asked if she was okay. "no I probably wont miss the ground moving from beneath me at random times" she said. "yeah, I think it was more my kind of camping than normal camping she said at the thought of a band she grimaced a little too. huge crowds were not her favourite thing either. "maybe we will just suggest quidditch and see what she wants, " she said thinking if they didn't give her the idea of a band she wouldn't go for it. she knew their daughter liked music but could name a single band she listened to.
as they stood their together he started kissing her. she kissed him back. through the contact she could feel all the stress and worry melt away from both of them. what she had sair was true. at the end of the day all that really mattered was him and willow. the world could be falling to peaces or setting on fire but as long as they and the rest of her family were safe and happy, that was really all then let it crumble and burn.
He picked her up easily and he made their way inside. he wasn't a particularly bulky man but the life of working lifting heavy loads of fish made him deceivingly strong. she ducked her head as they went in through the small door and heard him say something about reminding him to write the letter "mmm hmm" she said not really paying attention as by now her mind was on other things.

The day passed as many days on the boat did. the day spent together relaxing in each others company. they had shared a lunch of a selection of cold meats, bread and whatever else she had been able to find before spending the afternoon relaxing on deck making the most of the early spring sunshine, spending a bit of time writing to willow. As the air had started to cool she had gone back inside to have a quick shower. it wasn't the best shower in the world but at least the water was hot. as she set back out on deck she saw he had a fire going and was cooking fish over it. "that smells great" she said as she stepped out on deck. do you need a hand with anything?" she said it had always been the case that when on the boat he cooked no particular reason why, but the boat was his domain. and it had just fallen that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back