Warmth

Larissa Sedgwick

OOC First Name
Beth / Bethy
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
The months had flown by, much to Larissa's dismay, and now she sat at the living room window, staring out at the crisp white snow as it laid upon the ground. It was the twenty-third of December, 2028. The honeymoon seemed like a distant memory, and the novelty of having her own home with Andrew, was beginning to wear off. Still, she had to take comfort in the fact that at least her mother wasn't there, anymore, to tell her what to do. If her mother had known anything of Larissa's life after her death, she would have personally thrown her onto the streets to fend for herself.

Larissa gave a slight shudder, closing her eyes for a moment as she reflected on those days after finding out one of the greatest shocks of her life: The two of them had returned home in high spirits. Larissa had still felt oddly upbeat about her new life, and perhaps that was why the discovery of her pregnancy came only as good news. Andrew had been in shock, but was over the moon at the thought of becoming a father. Larissa had been pleased, at first, but the more she had thought about the situation, the less she had liked it. This child was going to be born into a loveless marriage- well, as was the case for her. Andrew loved Larissa, he worshipped her and the ground she walked on. It was surely unfair for the child to suffer through such a relationship, but then, with each newfound 'con', came another 'pro', and the were weighing up much the same. Andrew could provide for Larissa and their child, he could take care of them, give them love and affection. He would be a wonderful father.

The heavy oak living room door creaked as it was pushed open, and Larissa at last resigned from viewing the outside world, reflecting on the passing days. She turned her head to find Andrew entering the room with a fine silver tray, lined with all sort of edible festive treats. He beamed as he caught Larissa's eye, and he hurried to her side. His hair was ruffled, and he had donned a red and orange woolly jumper, the one Larissa had managed to knit, herself. She had only recently re-taken up on the hobby, but it was more satisfying than ever, now that she could knit with purpose.

Andrew had been aware of the stubble on his chin that seemed to increase tenfold with each passing day. At first, it had been a bit uncomfortable, and he had felt scruffy; during his time as Head Boy of Durmstrang, he had never once allowed his stubble to develop to a noticeable strength. It had always felt too unclean, but since Larissa had told him not to shave because she liked the idea of him growing a small beard, the idea had suddenly seemed like the greatest in the world. It also meant he now had more time to tend to Larissa, and ensure that she remained in good health, her and their future child, both.

The kitchen did not take an enormous amount of time to clear up, which definitely had to be one of the perks of the wizarding world, and Andrew was soon dressing a tray with the variety of treats he had cooked up for his wife. As he entered the room, he glanced up in time to catch her looking out of the window. She seemed to do that a lot, nowadays, though he couldn't blame her when they had played witness to such a heavy snowfall. "I thought you might like to sample the latest batch. I've altered a few of the ingredients just to give it a little more kick." Andrew beamed as he presented her with the treats, before backing off to allow her a little space, and to give himself time to speculate the living room walls. "Are you sure I can't at least put up a few little decorations, here and there? I mean, it is our first Christmas together." It was always risky territory to even consider defying his wife's wishes, and he understood why she was not so fond of Christmas, anymore, but he couldn't help wanting to make their first Christmas feel a little more special.

Larissa picked up a fir tree shaped biscuit, and bit off the top, munching it slowly as if trying to assess the alteration in ingredients. It was definitely better than the very sweet tasting ones Andrew had baked her the previous week. She liked the biscuit a little more bitter and unforgiving, it reminded her of who she was. She fixed Andrew with a look, at first ignoring his question. "They're good," she responded, "ideal." The woman allowed herself another moment of silence, before her own eyes skimmed the walls, turning on her husband. He knew what bad memories Christmas brought up, and that this be the first year she would stand a chance of completely avoiding it. Yet she was inclined to surrender. Too many years she had let the whole scenario get to her. She knew it was unlikely she would ever see Grakul, again, so perhaps it was time to just give in?

She fixed Andrew with a piercing stare, before it softened into an unenthusiastic look. "I suppose you're right," Larissa sighed inwardly, "go on, then. But I don't want you going overboard with it all." She paused, noting the predictable opening of Andrew's mouth as he went to make another bright suggestion. "No." She responded bluntly as ever, "You may not invite your relatives."

The hours seemed to sweep by as Andrew convinced Larissa to be in a more festive mood. It was not long before Christmas day was upon them, and the couple were seated before a flickering fire, cuddled up and content that the day had passed by without any slip-ups. Andrew, naturally, had cooked the Christmas dinner, and Larissa had seemed to enjoy it. They had exchanged gifts after their meal, and Andrew had been more than pleased with the set of books and new jumper that Larissa had given him. His gift to her had been something small, winged, and golden. Perhaps not the most traditional of presents, although, whether it was the pregnancy or his Larissa, she seemed overwhelmed with joy by the mere sight of the golden snitch.

It was only the day after Christmas, once Larissa had fallen asleep, that Andrew crept down to the cupboard under the stairs. It usually contained just his and Larissa's brooms, a couple of trunks, and a few other items that didn't seem to fit anywhere else, however, as Andrew pushed several things aside, he revealed three gleaming presents. Silently, Andrew carried these into the living room and began to open them. The first was from his mother, and inside lay a miniature globe of the moon. Andrew smiled at it, thinking of the other presents he had received from his mother in the past. They never seemed particularly handed at that point in time, but they were always a nice touch. The second was from his father. He unwrapped the present carefully, not sure what to expect. He was pleasantly surprised when he discovered a wizarding camera. Gently he lifted it up to his eye, and focussed on the icicles hanging from the walls- a spot of decoration that he had been permitted to do. Staying as still as possible, Andrew activated the device, and it gave a satisfying 'click'. He set the camera aside, knowing he would want to to get a bit more practice in before the pitter-patter of little feet. Finally, Andrew came to the third present. This one was from an old school friend. It was a small package, and whatever was inside did not seem to weight very much. Once the paper had been pulled back, Andrew could clearly see a miniature hour glass with a small note attached. "In case you need a minutes break." Andrew read aloud to himself, picking up the gift and turning it over in his hand. He chuckled to himself, thinking back to his school days. "Thanks, mate."

On the second of January, Andrew cleared away the decorations, straightened out the house, and braced himself for a new year. And this year was going to be a lot different. For a start, he was going to have to nab himself a job of some description. The German Ministry of Magic had a few vacancies, Andrew knew that, but the thought of leaving Larissa for so long while he worked.. He had been fond of caring for her during her pregnancy, and Larissa had seemed to have little objection. Surely it was his right to take advantage of her good mood before she returned to her old ways? Still, they could do with the money if they were to have any hope of successfully raising a child. Larissa was eager to find herself a job, too, but Andrew had insisted she take it easy. So it was, with a sigh, that Andrew dressed and left for a job interview in the middle of January. "I wont be long." He had said to Larissa with a smile and a sweet kiss, before departing for the Ministry.

It was a joy and an aching pain to return to Larissa, late that afternoon, to explain that he had been given a job at the Ministry. She had seemed happy for him, but there was a peculiar look in her eyes, and it worried Andrew. The days of work soon came and passed quickly by, leaving Andrew worn out, and with little time to see Larissa. She had taken to knitting daily, and her early attempts at lopsided socks and hats, had vanished from her more recent work. Andrew couldn't be sure if she truly enjoyed knitting, or if it was for the sake of something to do, and he couldn't blame her; she had no family or friends in the area, no-one to call on, no-one to talk to, though he had caught sight of Ted diving out the window with a letter, a couple of times a week. Obviously someone was staying in touch.

February arrived and the country had already begun its descent into spring. Andrew was more used to the routine of a day's work, more used to having little time to see his wife. It was, with great excitement, that Andrew awoke, one morning, to realise it would be his first day off. Since his department had been working so hard and meeting all the requirements, most of them had been granted a day off. It would be the first time in over a month, that Andrew would get to spend time with his wife, and he intended to make the most of it. That was why, at half past seven in the morning, Andrew rose from bed and brought his sleeping wife her breakfast. "Morning," he whispered with a smile, watching her eyes blink open, "I've brought you something to eat. I was wondering if you fancied going out for the day. We can go anywhere, you name it."

Morning light seeped into her eyes as Larissa blinked them open at the sound of her husband's voice. She heaved herself into a sitting up position, staring down at the contents of the tray. A slight smile buzzed across her face at the amount of work Andrew had gone to to make her breakfast. She turned to him, stroking the side of his face. "Really, Andrew, you shouldn't have.." He nodded to her to tuck in, before he sat beside her on the bed. It did not take Larissa very long to devour the meal, and soon the tray was as good as cleared. "Anywhere?" She asked, thinking through where she would like to go. Obviously it would have to be within reason. It wasn't like she could go gallivanting off to New Zealand to visit friends. Without realising it, her hand had dropped to her stomach, cradling the small bump that had slowly formed. She was four months gone. The thought of only having five months left to prepare, was terrifying. Still, she could not dwell on the future, or what she had witnessed at Lorin's birth. "I think I'd like to go to the park" It may not have been the usual 'out-there' suggestion that Larissa would so often make, but now she had other factors in her life to consider. Besides, once she had had this child, she would be able to go back to her old ways.. Right?

It had been the first of several visits to the park, and Larissa found herself enjoying them more and more. And the weather grew warmer, they would take little picnics with them. It was in April, six months gone, that Larissa's views of going to the park began to change. "Andrew, I'm not sure if we should keep going back there." It was a pleasant day, and one of Andrew's days off, but Larissa had found her mind thinking of certain commitments, of their child's future and the protection she could bring it if she did the right things. Her decision to become a Death Eater had, originally, only effected herself, but now there was another life to think about. If there was a chance that her attending picnics at the park- a park where many muggles dwelled- would put this child in danger, Larissa found herself unwilling to go. She had never thought herself one to grow protective of something as unplanned and unexpected as the being living within. Naturally, Andrew had asked why, and Larissa had decided to claim it was the sheer number of large dogs, and that she worried they would pounce on her and cause complications. Andrew seemed to accept this, and they spent the day in each other's company.

It wasn't until the end of April, Larissa fast nearing seven months pregnant, her bump largely extended and her ability to walk around as much, growing limited, that Andrew received his next day off. Larissa was knitting a seventh baby blanket, this time in blue, while her eyes scanned the morning paper. It seemed that all was much of the same. Muggles would be muggles and argue over the silliest of things, but other than the odd political debate, nothing was going on. At least, nothing that the muggle noticed. In the wizarding papers, there was very little happening, either, other than the upcoming Quidditch matches that Larissa so desperately wished she could attend. "It's too risky," Andrew had said as they discussed it over breakfast, "I don't want you, or the baby, getting hurt." The normal Larissa, the one who had never been pregnant in her life and had no intention of having children until she was in her thirties, was growing incredibly frustrated, rattling at the bars of her cage in an attempt to get out. "I suppose you're right," Larissa had agreed, before getting on with her daily activity of knitting this and that. She had made far too many jumpers, and she was considering sending them off to various family members and birthday presents.

As the middle of the day was summoned, Larissa took to her writing, and drafted several letters. "Who's that for?" Andrew said, gesturing to one letter which Larissa seemed to be a little more cautious over being seen. Cocky and confident as ever, Larissa flashed him a smile, "an old flame," she replied, "someone I used to be incredibly fond of before I met you." Andrew simply rolled his eyes, believing this to be one of Larissa's jokes.

At six in the evening, just as Larissa had settled down to have her dinner, a resounding crack, followed by an echoing knock at the front door, disrupted that evening's meal. Instantly, the couple were on high alert. They had been living in the house since they had returned from their honeymoon, and not once had anyone but themselves so much as set foot on the doorstep. "Upstairs," Andrew had hissed to Larissa, "it's probably nothing, but just wait upstairs." Much to his surprise, Larissa did as she was told, and waited in the bedroom, listening out for the sound of voices. She could hear the door being unbolted and the creak as it was opened, the distant murmur of voices, and.. She furrowed her brow. Whoever it was, Andrew was letting them in. Larissa's ears pricked up in anticipation. Who on Earth was it? Taking up her wand and stowing it beneath the baggy jumper she wore, Larissa headed quietly down the stairs and into the lounge, now home to another person. But as she entered the room, Larissa glared. "You?!"

"Please," Alex started, noticing Larissa entering the room, "let's not start this again. Libby sends her love, though Merlin forbid, I don't know why.." Andrew didn't seem to notice Alex's comment, and so he continued, "she apologises for not having written in a good few months, but she's been a little busy." Understatement of the year, Alex thought to himself, knowing that she had not only been helping to run Le Trois Dragons, raise their son, and live like a muggle, but she had also found out another surprise. "For a start, she had decided to sever all contact with the wizarding world, though, admittedly, we have both continued to write to friends and relatives via owls. Oh, also, she's rather heavily pregnant and due to drop any day." It was only then that Alex's eyes dropped to Larissa's stomach, the enormous bulge, the obviously pregnant woman. His eyebrows raised so high up his forehead that they meshed with his hairline. "I see you've been quite busy, yourself."

Andrew gave a slight, awkward cough, before getting to his feet and muttering "tea" as he left the room, hoping to Merlin that Larissa would not murder the man. He had heard rumours of Larissa's behaviour at the Corvus wedding, and knew it was definitely something he wanted to stay out of. Once in the kitchen, he set to work storing their uneaten dinner and keeping it warm for when Larissa would get the chance to eat it. For the time being, biscuits and tea would have to do. Perhaps they would sweeten his wife up, a little. Oh, normally she was lovely and pleasant- well, since she'd been pregnant, but this 'Alex' man seemed to have got her wound up. Andrew returned to the living room with tea and biscuits, a few minutes later, sitting himself down and listening to the conversation evolving.

Larissa simply stared straight into Alex's eyes. "She's what?" It was easy to see the maths ticking by in her head. Liberty would have been pregnant at the wedding. Why hadn't she said something? Larissa had been one of the first people she had told, the previous time, so why not again? And then Larissa recalled the issues that had arisen at Liberty and Alex's wedding. Oh, yes, she thought to herself, my slip of the tongue. "Honestly," Larissa added, rolling her eyes, "if your wife were anymore fertile, I would use her in the garden." She gladly accepted the tea and biscuits from Andrew, munching hungrily. Her cravings were starting to play havoc with her stomach. "Oh, this?" Larissa asked, gesturing to her large baby bump, "Yes, I suppose you're right. Still, honeymooners will do what honeymooners will do." She gave Alex a sharp smile. One that clearly emphasised the fact that they had wed before her pregnancy, much unlike Liberty. "So," she went on, "why the messenger? Why not just owl me?" Larissa took a swig of tea.

Should he just sit back and take these insults to his wife? No. But, as someone remotely intelligent, it would not be wise to physically attack a heavily pregnant woman, especially when her husband was in the room. Still, verbal attacks worked just as well. "Far from a pure bride, after what I gather happened with Tobias." Alex allowed this statement to be swept under the carpet, knowing that it would later possibly cause trouble between Larissa and Andrew. "Owls can be unreliable, and some things are easier to just say out loud. Liberty is in hospital. She's due in a few days, but there may be some complications. She's in a muggle hospital. She said it would be more convincing to her muggle friends. I only came here because she wanted you to visit her. Obviously she's unaware that you're.." He eyed her stomach momentarily, "You, but she seems set on the idea of you being at the birth. I don't know why. I blame all those muggle painkillers they keep pumping her full of.." Alex downed his tea, not particularly in the mood for a cuppa, and glanced over at Andrew in thanks.

"She wants me at the birth?" Larissa exclaimed, before giving a slight shriek of laughter and gulping further and uncontrollably at her tea. If she went along, surely that would just be torture for her to witness what the future would be for herself? But then, maybe it would be nice to see how much muggles had to suffer, compared to witches. "Well," Larissa answered, pausing for consideration, "I suppose I could." Out of the corner of her eye, she caught sight of Andrew's shocked expression. "It might be nice to see an old friend. I could talk her through the breathing techniques that muggles seem to use. And I could always take her a nice jumper as a present." Larissa found her brain momentarily questioning itself as to why it seemed genuinely happy, for a few moments, about the idea of seeing Liberty again. "Naturally, it will take me a little longer to travel, but I'm sure she won't mind Andrew and myself camping down at Le Trois Dragons, for a few days, hm?" The glint in Larissa's eyes clearly suggested that he had no choice.

She had spent a full week at Le Trois Dragons, awaiting the day of Liberty's labour, and it arrived on the sixth day. Not one, but two baby girls had erupted with screaming tears, into the world. Larissa had witnessed it all with a grimace. Liberty had been holding both her's, and Alex's hands. This is what happens if you're a muggle, Larissa told herself comfortingly as she saw just how much pain Liberty was going through, you'll be at a wizarding hospital, not some trash-ridden muggle dump. But how much better would wizarding medicine really be? She had been at Adrianne's side when Lorin had been born, and her fingers had been broken with the sheer force of Adrianne's grip. She began to hope that time would wait for her to ready herself. But time decided otherwise.

The sunlight glimmered off the window panes, reflecting back into the early morning light of the street. The Sedgwick household was silent. Andrew had left for work, moments before. Larissa lay in bed with her platinum blonde hair fanned out around her head like a fallen angel. She was the most beautiful thing when she slept, though equally as beautiful when awake, though slightly less troublesome. In her dream, she was in a state of pure bliss, waving her wand and conjuring up smatterings of colourful lights. They danced about, painting a world, painting something wonderful. A sudden kick in the stomach, caused Larissa to stir and stare down at her dream world stomach. The baby was kicking, again. It delivered another, short, sharp kick. Her hand dropped to the bump, stroking over it. She was due any day. Any day she could become a mother. Any day her whole world could shift, any day she could have this child, and the child had decided that this fine July day, was to be the one it would be born on.

Larissa awoke with a heavy gasp, her eyes springing open. She had hardly noticed the few small pains before she went to bed, the previous night, deciding to take a pain relieving potion. However,the effects seemed to have stopped working, and now she could feel a much worse pain. She had to get herself out of bed. She needed to contact Andrew, she needed him to be here, to hold her hand so she could break it. For Larissa knew what was coming to her, and she tried to breath carefully. Her legs slid out of bed, her feet meeting the floor in a cold reunion. She stumbled out of bed, sliding her palm along the wall for support, the other one instinctively cradling her baby bump. She made it out of the room, and into the next, searching desperately for quill and parchment. Her heart was racing with the pain she could feel creeping up on her. She managed to grasp at a quill, snatch up a sheet of parchment, and began to furiously write. The pain has started, I need to go to hospital. Com- She gave a yelp as another pain arose and the quill flew from her hand. Please, no.. She thought desperately. She was not stupid, and she knew what this meant. Doubled over on the floor in her large night dress, Larissa managed to take up the quill and paper. Her previous words had a line half over them from her sudden pain. She began to write again, fully scrawling out the previous. She simply wrote the words It's coming. and addressed the envelope to him. "Ted!" She shouted out to the house, "TED!" Her almost tearful cries summoned the bird to her side from his favourite place- the kitchen. He had been part way through trying to get his food from the cupboard it was hidden in, when he had heard Larissa's calls. His large black wings saw him to glide into the room and land daintily before her. "Ted," she breathed to the raven, her true friend through the years, the one who always came when she called, "take this letter to Andrew. Be quick about it. Please." She gasped the words and gave the raven the letter to deliver. He gave her ear an affectionate nip, before taking off for the Ministry. Larissa felt a tear stroke her cheek. "Please," she pleaded with the world, "please not now."

Andrew was mid-sentence writing up some vital work notes when he heard the noise of several other employees exclaiming at the sight of a large black raven flying through the Ministry. His heart stopped as his eyes focussed. He knew that raven, he recognised it, and after a moment, he realised exactly to whom it did belong. "Ted?" he hissed at the raven, before it perched on his shoulder and dropped something in his lap. A letter. He opened it hurriedly. The contents took but a second to read and understand. The crossed out words confirmed how little time he had. He stood up immediately, accidentally toppling the majority of his desk to the floor. His co-workers stared at him, and he gave them an apologetic nod. He wrote a quick note addressed to his boss, informing him of the nature of the emergency, and promising to get his desk back in order when he returned. With a last minute gathering of stuff, Andrew stalked from the building, Ted flying out just before him. Larissa was in labour. He was about to become a father.

When he arrived home, he called out her name repeatedly. "Larissa?" He shouted, watching Ted fly upstairs ahead of himself, "Larissa? Where are you?" He needn't question this for long: Groans emanated from the study. He hurried into the room, and found his wife upon the floor, one leg so distant from the rest of her, in a crawling position. He leapt to her side, kneeling beside her. Tears stained her cheeks. "Larissa," he cooed sweetly, "you're going to be okay. I'm here." He stroked back her hair, and her eyes found him. "Go," she breathed, "go and get me a mediwizard. Please." Andrew could see the pain in her gaze. She held it as long as she could before gasping again. "I don't want you to be alone-" Andrew began to protest, but Larissa pulled him close, planted a kiss on his lips, and pleaded with him to hurry. Andrew regretfully did as he was told, promising he would be back in a minute, and dashing out of the house. He disapparated.

Larissa was such a state; a gentle coating of sweat covered her smooth back, her hair stuck to her face, her eyes were screwed up in agony. She knew what was coming. And she knew when it was coming. And she had made one of the first big choices of her life. This baby was on the way, and she knew it would be over at any moment, and yet, she had sent Andrew off for a mediwizard. Why? Why would she purposely send her husband away from her when it would mean she would be alone to have this child? That she told herself, is precisely why. Her mother had given birth to her in St. Mungo's, surrounded by people, her husband present to hold her hand. And every day that Larissa lived, she vowed to herself not to become her mother.

Larissa's whole body gave a lurch. It was happening. She could feel the tears. She almost wished that Andrew had been there to hold her hand. "Larissa," she said aloud to herself, noticing Ted was still in the room, perched upon the writing desk, watching her writhe in pain, "you're doing the right thing, and this child.." Another striking of pain. She almost collapsed completely onto the floor with it. She took a moment to scramble along the wooden floorboards to grip the leg of the chair. "This child will be the greatest thing that ever happened to you." The words hung in the air for a moment. Ted let out a low coo, uncertain of what was going on. Larissa felt the pain worsen still. How was that possible? How could this pain be worser than the last? "No," her voice tightened with pain, "please stop. Please stop.." The other side of her, perked up again. It's not going to be pleasant, she told herself, of course it's not. No miracle comes easy. And you know what you have to do, now, don't you? She shook her head, pleading with the world that she would not have to do this, that she may be pardoned, or, maybe, she had misjudged the time in which it would take Andrew and the mediwizard to arrive. "I can't.." She gasped, trying to monitor her breathing, "I can't do this." You can, Larissa, and you have to. This time, the voice that spoke inside her head, was not her own. She knew it was a figment of her imagination, placed there to stop her losing it at the last moment, but it helped immeasurably. Her father's voice was there, in her head, soothing her. And then, she was hallucinating. His hand stroked back her hair. You've done so well, you've come so far. "Dad?" Larissa tried to turn her head, but the pain stopped her as it struck again. She could hear him behind her, speaking into her ear. You're not a bad person, Larissa, he said soothingly, you're just misguided. You will find your tribe. I know you will. In your heart, you know the answer, Larissa let out a small, pained cry. She knew she needed to push, but she couldn't. It would hurt even more, surely. "Dad.." Larissa tried to speak. He shushed her with a smiling tone. There are some things, in life, worth dying for. Larissa barely noticed the words, but deep in the back of her mind, they lodged themselves. Be brave, Larissa, she could hear his voice growing faint, his hand on her shoulder, disappearing. Be brave.
Her father's voice was gone to be replaced by the heavy thudding of her heart in her ears. Everything ached, everything hurt. She could have sworn that this would be the end, that she was about to leave the world. If this was death, it hurt a lot. Blinded with the pain, willing it to stop, she heeded the advice. She pushed.

From the first moment she arrived, she was going to be loved. Even she knew that. She was not a screaming child as her mother had expected, she was not unpleasant to look at. The first touch to her bare skin was that of her mother taking her up in her arms to hold her. Her eyes were only open for a few moments, but long enough to see the smudgy blur of a woman she would learn to call her mother. Long enough for her mother to see the two glittering blue eyes, just like those she saw in the mirror. She opened her mouth to give a small cry, but her mother calmed her, holding her close and sharing her heartbeat, her scent, her every breath. Among the first noises of the world she would hear, was that of her mother speaking her name. It was a breath of fresh air, a light to set the path of her life in motion. "Welcome to the world, Lily Sedgwick"

"Larissa!" Andrew shouted up the stairs, rushing back into the house, a man tailing close behind him. They both hurried up the stairs. Andrew could hear nothing. Not even the moans of pain. He was trembling with fear as he led the mediwizard to the study. "Larissa!" he called again in panic, before dashing into the room, his eyes finding a sight that surprised him: Larissa was propped up against the side of the writing desk, smiling into the eyes of the newborn baby she had wrapped up into the lengthier part of her night dress. The mediwizard and Andrew both leapt forward. "Oh," Andrew beamed, welling up, "I'm a father." He let out a small laugh, stuttered with emotion. Larissa joined in, before informing him that their child was a girl, and that she already had a name. Lily. They both began crying together. The mediwizard politely interrupted, suggesting that he check over mother and baby. Larissa sent Andrew to the living room to fetch one of the blankets she had made. He did as he was told. The most obedient of husbands. This was one of the happiest days of his life.

September

The rain dribbled down the window panes, chilling the air to its core. The sweeping wooden floor lay silent and cold in the gloom of daylight. In the living room, the slender, pale-face woman sat soundlessly upon the the elegant smoking chair beside the hollow fireplace, a baby wrapped in a knitted blue blanket, balanced against her chest as she knitted a large scarf. The child slept peacefully to the sound of clicking knitting needles, and its mother's every breath. The seasons were changing quicker than Larissa dared to notice. Her striking blue eyes stared across the room at the shadows on the wall. Andrew was at work. She preferred it when he was away. She preferred to be alone with Lily in the silence of the dark house. Since the girl had been born, Larissa had found herself withdrawing into herself, only reaching out to Lily for human contact. She did not care for Andrew. She did not love him, just as she had never loved him.

Lily stirred, gurgling. Larissa pointed her sharp eyes down to her daughter, blinking slowly at her. This child was all she remained with Andrew for. Not for the sake of the child having both a mother and a father figure, but for times like these when she could devote her days to the sleeping infant. She did not have to work and leave Lily to fend for herself, as she had Andrew to go out and work. But Larissa still wasn't happy. The rain began to hammer against the windows, rumbling them with sheer force. Lily began to cry, and Larissa set her knitting aside to stand and cradle the baby, rocking her into a gentle slumber. "Hush, now," she spoke softly to the child, "it's alright, it's alright." Larissa moved to the window to stare out of it through the rain. "The rain will stop. It will stop soon." Lily's tiny body was relaxed in Larissa's loving arms. Larissa stared numbly from the window at the rain sodden world outside. She remembered those days at Durmstrang that she had stared out of the window beside her bed as the rain poured down. She remembered the days she had spent at Hogwarts, where it so scarcely rained. She could still remember her late night trips into the forest, and the arguments she had had with Liberty. She did not smile.

Larissa turned and began to walk upstairs to the study, the place where Lily had been born, and Larissa had chosen to use as both a study, and Lily's bedroom until Andrew had sorted the spare room out. Larissa carefully lay her daughter down inside the soft, lined white cot, and moved to the desk to begin writing. She spent most of her days in this room, either watching Lily sleep, or writing letters. She stared at the letter she had received, before she began her reply. The sender went by the name of 'Godric', though she knew their true identity.

Godric said:
Dear Godric,

The days are growing shorter as we speak, and with fading light, comes new dawns. Lily has grown so much. I wish you could see her. She is so beautiful, I am almost afraid to hold her, for fear of harming her delicate little hands. You would like her. I miss you. I miss your voice. I miss us. Andrew works long hours and I am left alone with Lily. This is how I like things to be. But I know for sure that I do not love him. I have never loved him. He was there when I needed him to be. You weren't. I do not blame you. I just wish things could have been different. I wish you could have been her father, and not him. That is why I ask of you only this one promise; should anything ever happen to me, I want you to look after Lily. Please, just do this one thing for me. You know my involvement with certain types of people is not a safe place to be. I could be captured any day. If you agree, I shall name you as Lily's godfather. I have no intention of telling Andrew. He does not even know I write to you.

Look after yourself,
Salazar.
She hurriedly filed the finished letter inside an envelope, sealing it shut with a globule of hot wax. She addressed the envelope, and glanced around for Ted. She did not want to call him and wake Lily. Larissa stood and walked towards the window to see if he was out the back. He wasn't. She sighed, just as he appeared out of nowhere, shooting over her head through the open window, and landing on the desk, dropping a letter down. Larissa turned to him. "Another one?" she asked, before holding out her completed letter. "Take this one to Godric." She gave the bird a heavy look, and he seemed to understand. He snapped up the letter from her grip and took off through the window. She picked up the new letter, admiring the speckles of rain and the soggy lower half. She turned it over and opened it, drawing out the letter from within. She stared at it for a moment, before smiling to herself. Then regretting it, and tossing the letter aside. Liberty had written to her, telling her all about the twins and how they were getting on, how three kids were a handful, and how they should meet again. Larissa scolded herself for the smile, punishing her thoughts for even considering leaving the home to see her friend, for she could not so easily take Lily with her. She sighed and seated herself at the desk, her face falling into her palms as she closed her eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back