Wandering

A

Anonymous

Heath walks down to the Lakefront with hopes of spotting some other students, so far his few attempts at making friends at Hogwarts had failed. Not seeing anyone he takes out his copy of "Quidditch Through The Ages" and begins to read...

Bruin decided to take a walk down by the lake and try and collect his thoughts. To be honest, he was just trying to avoid the growing stack of assigned reading from his first week of classes. He noticed another student whom he thought he recognized from Potions Class reading a little green booklet and decided to introduce himself.

"Hey, I'm Bruin. Is that the book about Quidditch???" Bruin didn't wait for a response before continuing. "Let me know if it has any instructions on how to stop crashing into things with your broom." he exclaimed as he thought back to the horror that was his first flying lesson.

Heath looked up from his book and smiled at Bruin "Maybe when we're allowed to fly on the pitch we could fly together, I've got some previous experience from back home" Heath hoped that Bruin would accept as he had yet to make any friends here at Hogwarts and Bruin seemed like a nice guy.

"That would be great!", Bruin replied "Sometimes I think that I'm the only guy around here who hadn't flown on a broom before this week. I just read some stuff about Quidditch up in the library..." he added pointing to Heath's copy of Quidditch through the Ages. "Apparently, Quidditch isn't as big in North America as the rest of the world, so at least I don't feel so bad about not knowing too much about it."

"Looks like I'm going to have to try out for beater or keeper if I get any good at flying though. Doesn't sound like big guys fair to well as Seekers and Chasers. How 'bout you, are you trying out for the house teams???"

"Yeah, I'm going to try out for chaser in the Hufflepuff team" Heath said enthusiastically, glad to have met someone who shared his interest "Growing up in Canada there was never any organized Quidditch teams so I only learned playing with my dad and his friends, he learned how to play when he went to Hogwarts in England"

"So do you have your own broom yet?"

"Yeah, I picked up a Nimbus 2000", Bruin replied. "The shopkeeper figures that it might be a little slower than the Firebolt, but that it probably handles a little better. I think that was his way of suggesting that I shouldn't be flying too fast yet anyways..." Bruin added with a chuckle.

"Whereabouts in Canada are you from? I grew up in the Rockies out in BC, but I thought I might be the only crazy canuck here. Hey, do they get snow here in the winter? Er, or the summer?" Bruin added forgetting that he was now living in the southern hemisphere. "If they do, I suggest we teach some of this lot how to play ice hockey, muggle-style!!!"

"That's a great idea!" Heath said laughing "But I don't know if they get snow here or not, oh and I'm from London, Ontario. I went to B.C. last summer for my family vacation, it was beautiful. Who's your favourite hockey team?"

Fiammetta was sitting in a tree reading the library's copy of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" when she heard voices coming from somewhere beneath her. She looked down from her book and saw two boys, one she recognized was from her own house and the other she thougt she had seen somewhere else, possibly in the DA meeting. She felt that she shouldn't eavesdrop on the boys, but didn't want to disturb them either so she stayed up in the tree and just zoned out, coming to when they mentioned a Muggle sport called "ice hockey." Curious she leaned forward to listen more. When the Hufflepuff boy mentioned a favorite hockey team she leaned forward even more, realizing a little too late that she had leaned to far she felt herself falling from the tree. She let out a small scream before landing the poor Hufflepuff boy.

"Now that is an entrance!!! Can you do it again???" Bruin exclaimed jovially after determining that the two Hufflepuff students weren't seriously injured. He looked at the young girl and asked, "So, just thought you'd like to DROP IN for a chat?" pausing momentarily before adding, "Better look out Heath, I think this young lady here might be FALLING for you!!!" Bruin decided he shouldn't tease her further and extended a hand to help the two of them up.

"Hi there...I'm Bruin, care to join our conversation???" Bruin asked with a wide grin on his face. "Feel free to JUMP IN whenever you want." This was too much fun he thought, but he knew that the young Hufflepuff girl was probably already figuring out some way to repay him for all his punny jokes at her expense.

Fiammetta blushed, beat red, but determined to think of a way to pay the Gryffindor boy back later. Turning her attention to the boy called Heath she said, "I am so sorry!" After looking the boy up and down she determined that the boy was ok she then turned to Bruin. "You had a million jokes at your disposal, and you chose to use puns?!" She laughed, then recognizing the boy she said, "Don't you work at Gladrags in Hogsmeade?"

"Oh yeah, I thought you looked familiar, but that place is crazy busy right now. Sorry that I didn't recognize you." Bruin said humbly.

"So do you usually hang out in trees and leap upon unsuspecting prey or are you a non-master of the broom like me?" Bruin inquired, only now beginning to wonder how the girl happened upon them.

Fia laughed, "I'm actually pretty decent on a broom. I was just reading when you two happened along. I didn't want to interrupt your conversation, but I got curious when you began talking about ice hockey. I guessed I leaned a little two far forward!"

Heath had listened to the conversation up until now only laughing at Bruin's many jokes and wincing slightly at his sore stomach "don't worry, you only hurt my back and some of my internal organs, no biggy" he said with a wide grin on his face. "So Bruin you never answered my question"

Bruin scratched his head and tried to recall Heath's question...what were they talking about before Fia fell from the sky...oh yeah...hockey...

"Well, I have been a Boston Bruins fan pretty much since I was born..." stating the obvious "but I suppose I am a bit of a glutton for punishment and occasionally cheer for the Maple Leafs. I think somebody needs to enchant their skates and sticks if they are ever going to win a Stanley Cup.", he added, suddenly thinking it wasn't such a bad idea.

"So Fia, are you a hockey fan too or would you like a little explanation of the game??? All that I can say, is that when it's played right, it's almost magical!"

((OOC: sure if you like, but in this group you will get what you give ;) ))

ooc: Ok :D

"Likely of you gryffindors and and hufflepuffs to mingle, I am guessing you all aren't pure blooded then?"

Not exactly sure what the newcomer meant by the pureblooded comment, but not really appreciating the tone in which it was delivered, Bruin looked at her and replied.

"My blood type is A Positive, but what the heck does that have to do with anything?"

Bellatrix gasped then gave a little laugh. "You must be new to the wizarding world obiously your a mudblood. Muggle born am I correct?"

Feeling his temper rise for the first time since he had arrived at Hogwarts, Bruin looked at the girl, and paused momentarily before responding.

"I have no clue what you mean by mudblood, but whatever I have inside me suits me just fine. And when it comes to talking about my family...I'll reserve that for people who I consider friends." Bruin felt better having said this and decided to give the girl an opportunity to explain her rather rude behaviour.

"My name's Bruin and yeah, I am in Gryffindor. Care to introduce yourself or would you prefer to just stand there and watch how nice people speak to one another???"

ooc: Ooo nice! :D So what blood is he?

She frowned and through gritted teeth said, "I'm Bellatrix, Slythrine of course."

((OOC - mixed blood, but with very little magic experience...he led a sheltered childhood in the Canadian Rockies...check my profile in the Student Background Forum if you like...p.s. I'll be going offline shortly and won't be back for a few hours at least)

"Well Bellatrix. my friends and I were just discussing a popular muggle sport called ice hockey...perhaps you'd like to join us." Bruin replied, thinking that perhaps a little understanding of the "muggle world" might get her to come down off her lofty perch. Of course, if she wasn't ready to come down voluntarily, Bruin was already considering ways to bring her down.

She took a couple minutes to answer. Then smiled, "I would love to hear how the muggles make fools of them selves, it shows how much better than than them we are."

ooc: I have no idea if that made any sense :lol: Ok, just say when your gone. :D

Fia had been listening to conversation, her timidness around new people keeping her temper down, but she couldn't resist making a snappy retort. "Just because you don't understand how to play it, doesn't make those who do play the game fools." One thing Fia could not stand was pure blood mania. Oliver had told her of loads of deaths that had resulted of a pure blood mania and Muggle haters. "And if you think that you're any better than a Muggle, or a Muggleborn, then you're the fool."

Bruin was just about to respond to Bellatrix when Fia interjected...

WOW!!!, he thought, I couldn't have said it better myself. He was proud of Fia and felt a little bad for having teased her earlier. Not knowing whether to try and diffuse the situation or not, he waited to see if Bellatrix or Heath had anything to say. He placed his hand gently on Fia's shoulder as if to say, I've got your back little miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back