Visiting Home

Ten minutes later and Deirdre had already discovered a belt that just about fit her. The shirt was another matter entirely, so she simply tied it up at the waist securely. Yes, it exposed her midsection fairly obviously, but she was not self conscious and trusted Wallace not to have his eyes falling out of their sockets the whole time. She had to admit that there was a small part of her that wanted to be attractive to him, but seeing as they had only just met then it surely wasn't a good idea to promote that fact yet. One night stands were always a heart breaker, and Deirdre wanted nothing more than for Wallace to call her his own first. Wait, what? she thought, raising an eyebrow at herself. Getting a bit ahead, aren't you? She shook hers and continued setting out a few pieces of cutlery for whatever Wallace came back with. It happened to be pizza, and she tossed the knives and forks back into the drawer.

Deirdre moved up to great Wallace as he apparated inside, taking a pizza and placing it on the table. Being a very house-holdy sort of person she got immediately into serving, pleased to find that her slices were mushroom-less. Every now and then she would sneak a glance at Wallace, her heart skipping a beat every time. Once, she reached up to brush a lock of brown hair that fell into his eyes. She blushed and poured them both a glass of butterbeer. Finally Deidre relaxed and sat back into the chair, surveying Wallace from afar when he was not looking and grinning to herself when he was. "I'm sorry, I've not asked much about 'ye," she said to distract her wandering eyes. "Do 'ye work?".

Smitten was just about the only word to describe Wallace's state of mind at the present. Deirdre was lovely, kind, beautiful...Wallace was liking her more and more by the second, and he was quite happy about that. He'd definately come back to London whenever he possibly could. He simply had to see her again, he couldn't just let her go like that. And he was pretty sure she felt the same, so at least he was safe in that he could see her again. At least, he hoped he wasn't imagining that. But she had kissed him first. On the cheek, but still.

She'd tied up his shirt so it exposed her midriff, and Wallace was trying very hard to be a gentleman and not stare at the exposed skin of her waist. He managed to resist, however, and focused on the food - although he did keep stealing glances at the extremely beautiful woman beside him. He just couldn't help himself. Taking a sip of butterbeer, he, too, relaxed, and slumped back in to the chair, still amazed at how great his afternoon had turned out to be. "Oh, yeah, I'm with the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee, at the Ministry in New Zealand. It's a really small department, half the time it's only me there, it seems. Still, easy work though, 'cause my sister and I are the only wizards in the family - except for some relatives - so I know a fair bit about muggles." He figured Deirdre wouldn't be the type to look down on him for his inferior blood status...which Wallace didn't see as inferior at all, rather, it gave him the best of both worlds, but still. "I guess looking after your father must be pretty taxing on you," he mused, still in awe of how unbelievably kind Deirdre was. Wallace would never have been able to do something like that, even if his family had been good to him. He was just a selfish person, sometimes.

Deirdre caught herself staring dreamily at Wallace once or twice and forced herself to look serious. She only succeeded in looking cute (as did most of her family when attempting to be stern. Serious and angry just weren't something they were able to pull off). Even so, she was quite attentive to what he was saying and raised her eyebrows when he spoke of working at the ministry. "The Ministry! Nice," she said, looking just as impressed as she was. To think that someone so young had a job with the government was quite amazing. Deirdre tried not to think of it as a pro for getting with him. She failed. Deirdre sighed inwardly at herself. There was just no denying it by now; she was well and truly head over heels for Wallace, and it was about time that something good happened in her life. Four years of misery was trailing in her wake. Now that he was here, things could only get better.

"Muggle-born, are 'ye?" she commented, quite interested in other people's families. She smiled and looked at the table. "I'm mixed, if 'ye didnay now. But probably not with what 'ye were expectin'." Deirdre looked up at Wallace and lifted her hair from her ear. There sat her ear, looking perfectly sweet and normal if not for the fact that it was pointed. "Goblin blood," she chuckled. "Ye ought tay see my little sister." She then swallowed, unable to talk about Artemis. Out of all of her siblings, she missed her the most if only for the fact that nothing could ever make the little firecracker sad. Little did she know that so many things had done so in the past few years. There was a short pause where she leaned her chin on her hand and looked at Wallace. "So I was thinking of how I could get 'ye tay kiss me again," she said frankly, a dimple appearing on her right cheek as she smiled. "Not that I'm desperate, but is it creepy to know that ye're the best thing that's happened to me in four years? Which is saying something, seeing as we only just met today."

Wallace wasn't sure whether to chuckle or jump over and hug Deirdre, when he noticed her attempt to look serious. She was just too adorable, and Wallace just wanted to hold her close to him and kiss her...but no, he wouldn't go too fast. He was a gentleman, after all. He would be patient and take things slowly. Of course, he hadn't even brought up the subject of a relationship...now he was definately getting ahead of himself. Wallace intended on at least asking Deirdre out on a proper date, or two...or five...oh stop it! Think rationally for a change, he told himself, his smile still not fading from his face. Deirdre was probably the best thing that had happened to him in a while, and he was not going to waste a moment of his time.

Now, Deirdre was small, but Wallace wasn't exactly expecting the revelation of goblin blood. He gasped when she showed him her ears - wow, that probably made her even more endearing to him, if that was even possible. He had no idea what a part-Goblin would look like...but he honestly hadn't been expecting someone as beautiful as Deirdre. Suddenly, his muggle heritage seemed extremely boring. Oh well, it had been extremely valuable for his career. He broke in to a broad grin at Deirdre's next statement, and moved over to sit closer to her. "I was hoping you'd give me the opportunity to do so," he admitted, beaming. "I'm quite honoured, you know. And you're the best thing that's happened to me in quite a while," Wallace continued, before leaning over and gently placing his lips on hers in a sweet kiss.

Deirdre let out a small hum of happiness when Wallace touched his lips to hers. If she hadn't wanted just a little bit more at the time she would have fainted on the spot. As it was, she still felt the need to coax a bit more out of him. Perhaps he was holding back just to be a gentleman. If that was the case, then Deirdre was having none of it. Their lips parted briefly as she got up to move around the table before seating herself neatly on his lap and kissing him once more. The kiss was different this time; deeper and more affectionate, both hesitant and wanting. Her arms came up around his neck and if it weren't for the fact that their lips were locked together, they could have been snuggling. This was what it felt like to be free and to choose one's own path, and Deirdre reveled in it.

Finally she let him free of their passionate embrace and rested her head comfortably on his chest. She seemed perfectly calm but her heart was beating wildly and uncontrolled. I am not in love. Not yet, I cannot ... I'm just not. Deirdre lectured herself inwardly, cuddling into Wallace just that bit more. She had never felt safer anywhere than right there, nestled against him and feeling like a child against his broad shoulders. "I didn't mean to move so fast," she said softly. "I don't know what's come over me." The wicked desire to kiss him again consumed her, and Deirdre lifted her lips to the underside of his chin. "I'm sorry," she said again. How many times would she say sorry and still not leave the comfort of his arms?

Wallace was a little startled by the loss of contact, but was very pleased by its sudden return. He hadn't expected Deirdre to suddenly move to his lap, but Wallace very much liked it. He wrapped his arms around her warmly, half-protectively, half-passionately. Deirdre had deepened the kiss, and Wallace loved every second of it. He hadn't felt this happy and attracted to someone in...well, in forever, if he thought about it. He'd dated girls before, obviously, but none of them were anything like Deirdre. Having her so close to him was comforting, and damn - if this kept up, he'd be professing his love for her by the time the day was through.

"Please don't say you're sorry," Wallace murmured, smiling gently to herself. "I don't mind that you did, in fact, I really like it," he admitted, holding her close to him. She was so small he was worried he'd break her, but she had to be tough, too. After all, she did have goblin blood in her. He'd heard they were quite strong. He kissed her again, just as passionately as before, before breaking away and grinning. "You do know that if we keep this up, there's no way I'm ever going to let you leave, my dear. I do feel that you'll just have to stay here."

Deirdre sighed long and low, shivering at the sound of his voice. She recovered herself and smiled at him. "Then don't let me leave," she mumbled, smiling, unable to resist the urge to kiss his lips again. Kissing him felt like kissing an angel and she could feel the restraint in the slight tightness of his jaw. He was holding back, she was holding back and nothing would come of that day if they were disciplined. They would part ways without ever having given in to the danger of temptation and perhaps send letters to one another so as to- her shirt slipped down. Deirdre barely noticed it with their snuggles and small kisses, but she certainly did when a rainy breeze hissed through the window and onto her chest. She couldn't help but gasp in shock and Deirdre tumbled off Wallace's lap onto the floor. The shirt had been dragged down to her ankles by then.

Deirdre hadn't even the wit to cover herself, she was too shocked. Seconds later, she crossed her arms over herself at last and began to shuffle back on the carpet, mortified and shamed. "Oh ... oh, I-!" she gasped. What must he think of her? Nothing so embarrassing had ever happened to her before; a perfectly nice moment, comfortable and happy when she spoiled it with one careless movement. Deidre's cheeks were bright red and she could not even lift her hands to cover them or find herself uncovered again. She was stuck. "E-e-e-e-e-excuse me!" mumbled Deirdre. She took a deep breath and asked what she desperately needed to. "Um. If 'ye would just ... help me with the shirt, that'd be wonderful!" she said in a high voice. Oh, I don't know if I could bare him coming closer...

Rest assured, Wallace had absolutely no intention of letting Deirdre leave. Still, he was restraining himself. He couldn't risk ruining things with Deirdre by moving too quickly. Although she certainly had no objections, by the look of things. Wallace was simply loving having her so close to him, kissing her and holding her...it was taking all the strength he had not to go further this quickly. No, Wallace was a gentleman. He would take things slowly and cautiously. Because there was no way he was going to screw things up with Deirdre, oh no. He wanted to be able to kiss her and hold her any time he wanted, to spend time with her...to be hers.

But when he felt bare skin...oh! Wallace was finding it harder and harder to be a gentleman. Especially when she pulled away. Wallace merely stood there, gaping, looking a little like a fish as he tried to look away but found it simply impossible. "Uh...uh...it's okay," he stammered, sounding a lot more like his sister, Christa, in all her stammering shyness, than his usual, confident self. Blushing, Wallace picked up the shirt and stepped over to Deirdre, quite unsure of what to do. On one hand, he could simply help her put it back on, but on the other hand - he simply found himself putting his arms around her again, keeping her warm, as he kissed her once more.

Deirdre was practically squirming under his gaze. Wallace was staring openly at her, something that she could not blame him for in the slightest, yet she wished that he wouldn't for it made her want to reach out and press herself closer to him. She need not have fretted over such a thing for moments later he did so himself. Deirdre was wedged firmly against his chest and being kissed breathless once more, but things were entirely more intimate with her being half clothed. No! She could never resist now. "Wallace..." she mumbled against his chest. He would feel her trembling against his arms though she was no longer cold, thanks to his proximity. "Mm, Wallace-" she tried again, and this time she managed to push at his chest. They paused for air and Deirdre grabbed the opportunity to speak. Her cheeks were still bright red with shame. "I'm sorry, but I ... oh, what must 'ye think of me!" she said fretfully, crossing her arms over her chest once more. "Ye must think I'm some sort of ... that I ... act like this all the time, or that I..." her breath hitched.

She looked up at him, no longer ashamed but entranced. Deirdre had no idea whether or not he had just been kissing her because he could not control himself or because he'd finally had the opportunity to show her how much she meant to him now. She had no idea, but she was no longer afraid. "Do 'ye want this? This, and more? More of me, truly?" She had to know. Her hands came up to cup his cheeks softly as she stared him in the eyes. Please ... let him be truthful.

Wallace could think of nothing else now, nothing else but Deirdre, and how completely entranced he was by her - for she was beautiful, and lovely and kind...and Wallace had frankly fallen for her, hard, even though they had only met a few short hours ago. Though he was starting to wonder if he'd gone too far, when Deirdre pushed him away. "Oh no, please, please don't apologise, it was my fault, really. I don't know what came over me...well, I guess I do, but...I'm never like this, honestly, I...I just couldn't help myself...with you." He really couldn't. Wallace, who was usually so suave, so gentlemanly, so collected and controlled...this one woman had completely disarmed him, dismantled his self-control, and frankly, Wallace loved it.

All he could do was nod as Deirdre cupped his face in her hands. "I may have only just met you today, but already I'm finding myself quite attached to you, and...well, I have a feeling that you will mean an awful lot to me - I'd say you already do, and...well, I'm rambling, so I guess that all I can say is yes. And with a sweet, albeit nervous smile, Wallace moved forward again, kissing her on the lips, before removing his own shirt. "And now we're even," he whispered, holding Deirdre close. There was no way he was ever letting her go, he'd decided.

Having Wallace be so relentless in his pursuit of her was flattering, to say the least. Once again she would not admit her regard for him just yet but was just as determined as he was to never let him out of her arms again. She'd said her piece and the time for talk was over. Deirdre was speechless anyway when he removed his shirt and held her close again. One would have to possess a sterner soul than she did to resist such an advance, and she accepted with enthusiasm. Deidre's strength was not relative to her size and she may have surprised him when she pushed him back onto the bed. Nevertheless, she gave him no time to complain. The afternoon was theirs.</FONT>
Some time later
<FONT font="Times New Roman">
Deirdre was so comfortable nestled against Wallace's chest that she could have fallen asleep then and there. Unfortunately she was too busy stroking his hair and touching his face softly. Kisses were abundant. She simply couldn't hold back the affection she now held for this man. But soon her thoughts turned melancholy as she thought of his imminent return to New Zealand where she wished so much to go but could not. Could she? That was the dilemma. Leave her father to die of a broken heart by himself in England or rejoin her family, her love and a new life in New Zealand. Deirdre buried her head into Wallace's chest, hiding her tears. How could she compare duty to the will of her own heart? One had to come before the other. In a frail voice, Deirdre mumbled "I don't want 'ye to leave."

Wallace held Deirdre close to him, kissing her at every possible opportunity. He couldn't believe his good fortune. He had met a woman who he would quite honestly call the girl of his dreams. And she liked him as much as he liked her. There was no doubt about that in Wallace's mind. He didn't want to think about his need to return to New Zealand. He had work there, he couldn't just stay in England. As much as he'd like to. Duty always came first, but Wallace didn't want it to interfere with matters of the heart. It had to, though, and that thought made him a little miserable. But not too much, after all, he was here with Deirdre.

Running a hand through her hair, Wallace gently kissed her forehead, his sentiments echoed in her words. "Deirdre, my darling, I don't want to leave, either," he admitted. "If I didn't have work and such in New Zealand, I would move back here in a heartbeat." He couldn't ask her to come to New Zealand. As much as she wanted to, she had to look after her father. It would be horrible of him to expect her to do so. "I promise you, though, until we can come up with something better, I will come and visit you every weekend, during the week, too, if I can. And I'll write to you every day," he gushed, unconsciously holding her that bit tighter. Now he'd managed to find her, how could he just go ahead and leave her like that? It broke his heart to do so.

Deirdre laughed softly and kindly, pressing her cheek into his chest once more. "Oh, 'ye needn't worry about me," she said, saying to him what she had already said before. "I couldn't tear ;ye away from work, and during the day I'm always free when there's not housework to do. Come and see me any time 'ye want." she told him. She was smiling but her eyes were not. Her eyes said 'I wish you could take me away from this place.' It was a sad, vain hope that was selfish in nature (or so she believed). Deirdre did not believe that happiness was meant for people like her. After all; someone had to carry the burdens of the family when the father or mother could not. They had gone down their selfish tracks, and if they could not then she must. Wallace was ... a luxury that she could not afford. I will not cry, she thought in despair. Crying can only ruin a perfect moment like this. Oh, but he would see right through her, she knew.

Instead of lamenting over a pointless battle, Deirdre distracted herself by focusing only on Wallace. Her mood bettered tenfold, especially when she recalled the tender moments they had shared since first meeting each other. The feeling of stability that he gave her was astounding. How had he not been snatched up by another woman? Bad in-laws? Well. That was applicable. She wrinkled her nose and giggled. "I think I could fall in love with 'ye, Wallace Montgomery the Third." she grinned, but it came out sounding a lot more serious than she had intended. In fact, it was almost 'I love you' right then and there. Deirdre blushed but did not revoke the statement.

It tore Wallace up, not being able to come up with a better solution. If he could, he would spend every day and every night with Deirdre. He wanted to wake up beside her every day, wanted to take her out on dates...she'd captured his heart and he wasn't going to let her give it back. He simply wasn't going to lose sight of her. "Of course I'll worry about you," Wallace said, kissing the top of her head. "I'll come see you at every possible opportunity, until you're simply begging for me to leave you alone," he chuckled, a little sadness still evident in his tone. He could not even begin to imagine the stress Deirdre must undergo every day. For he had been selfish, and run away with his sister to New Zealand when he didn't want to deal with home life, and the hatred and abuse from his parents. Whatever happened with Deirdre's family, she remained strong and stayed by her father's side, even when she so wanted to be somewhere else. And it made her so unhappy, and Wallace's heart bled for her. "I-if you want, or if you can, you can come and visit me whenever you'd like. If you're able to, that is..."

"You know, I'm almost certain I could fall in love with you, Deirdre Yearling," Wallace replied, hoping that hadn't come across too strong. Ah, the hell with it. With all you've done this afternoon, you can't really lose too much. He could honestly say he'd fallen in love with her over the afternoon, although perhaps it was too soon to admit such a truth. Nevertheless, Wallace's feelings stood.

He cared about her so much. She could see his eyes fall whenever he looked upon her stricken face, and already she was sure that they had shared something too intimate to let the other go now. How could she ever let him return to New Zealand unaccompanied? Perhaps he was only humouring her, and that he would not have as much time as he said and perhaps would write once or twice a month. She could not bare that; after all these blessings and to have them cruelly denied. Deirdre did sob then, stifled and small against his chest. She did not burst into tears but she was sure that Wallace could feel her trembles and the warm tears running over his skin.
Though she cried, her voice was steady if a bit frail when she spoke. "Look at me. Pathetic, isn't it?" she laughed softly, still refusing to lift her head to look at him. "Truly, I could only be begging 'ye to stay, not to leave me alone." Deirdre whimpered in an attempt to hold back the threatening sobs. She had not cried in such a long time. Somehow, today was the day for crying no matter how wonderful it was. Something about Wallace disarmed her defenses completely.

Tears still rolling down her cheeks, Deirdre finally looked up at Wallace. "I do love you." she said, and she kissed him. Her kiss was hot and sweet and like a brand on their mouths. She would not let him stay in New Zealand alone. She would form a plan. So she kissed him like the signing of a deal and with such longing that she almost crumbled again.

Wallace could honestly kick himself, how could he just be so careless as to make promises that, while he would most definately fulfill them, sounded so meaningless? He felt her trembling, heard her sobs, and knew that was what she was thinking. Oh, how could he do this to her, when he wanted nothing more than to stay by her side? He had to go back to New Zealand, of course, but he didn't want to - he didn't want to do anything without her. "God, Deirdre, I can't possibly leave you," he murmured, rogue tears forming in his eyes. She'd completely taken his heart, how could he ever leave her? "You're not pathetic at all. You're beautiful, you're smart, you're caring, you're witty, you're, well, quite frankly, you're wonderful."

He'd never meet a girl like her, ever again. And Wallace didn't care. He only wanted her. He kissed her back, lovingly, running his fingers through her hair. "And I do love you, Deirdre," Wallace admitted. "How could I not? You're the most amazing woman I've ever met and I can't stand the thought of leaving you behind here." He held back any tears that were threatening to spill. He just wanted to be strong for Deirdre. "We have some more time, my beautiful," Wallace began, keeping his voice steady. "Stay here that bit longer with me?" he asked, just wanting to hold her close and talk about anything, anything that wasn't location or family. He wanted to know everything and anything he possibly could about her, and although they only had a little time now, they would have more opportunities. Wallace was going to make sure of that.

Wallace said such lovely things to her so often that every word made her melt. If Deirdre was in love, she was in debt, too. The things he had done in a space of only a few hours had changed her heart forever so that she could no longer see the future without his place in it. Suddenly it hit her; would she allow her brothers and sisters to suffer the trials that she had? If Art, Bess, Gregory, any of her wonderful siblings did as much as she did, she would never allow them to bare their troubles alone. Deirdre was sure now; she was going to visit her family and she was not leaving until she had captured Wallace' heart forever. Such good feelings couldn't be for naught and Deirdre wanted only him. She was determined. Her tears did not flow any longer and she lowered her head to press it into his chest again, her tiny pointed ear resting on his heart. This was where things would all come together, and she had the whole night to show him so.

(( Would you mind terribly if I ended the topic here? It seemed like a good place to do so. If not, do tell me to edit it and we can keep going ^_^. Either way, I don't mind, it was just a sweet moment. ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back