Vici's downfall

Vici

Vici flicked out a tongue tasted the night air. The young ones weren't about yet. They'd come soon. He needed a snack and one of them would have to do. He shifted from foot to foot, crouching down and weaving through the trees. He needed energy and he needed it now.

Professor Canoc Taggart leaned heavily on his thick staff. His old gnarled hand gripped the aged wood. His wand was put away but handy in case the old man should need it. His staff had a magical core of dragon's heartstring. It'd saved his life more times than he could count. Tonight he had a mission. A strong reason he was thumping about in these woods. That devil had bested him once. Not again. He meant to take care of it and banish it from these woods.

Vici sniffed the air. His heavily pierced ears heard the old man before he saw him. He knew him at once from his energy pattern. "Come again and on this day. The master shall conquer the old moodge." His laughter rent the air. It was high and unpleasant. He dropped from the tree he was in. Landed in front of the old gent.

Canoc held himself still and steady. He was unfamiliar with this thing's words. Although it's meaning was clear. It meant to try to take him out, permanently this time. "Your devil's tongue has no place here, nor do you. Leave quietly. Or I shall make you leave." His raspy voice was sure and strong, yet quiet.

"Will you make me ookadeet? You? The old moodge I bested the other day?" He cackled, crouching down and staring at the old man with malice in his sunken eyes. He hissed and darted forward, trying to catch him unawares.

Canoc moved with a speed none would think a man of his years capable of. His moves were fluid although later that night he would be screaming from the pain in his arthritic limbs. His staff was held at the ready and he unleashed a stunning spell on the creature.

Vici didn't move out of the way in time. The spell caught him in the shoulder and flipped him over. He landed neatly on his feet yards away from the old moodge. He cackled. "You drat like my em. I will not itty. This mesto is mine. Are you shvatty it away from me?" He screeched and leapt, his clawed fingers slashing at him.

Canoc soon tired of his speech and was lifting his staff up to fire a spell when the thing leaped at him. It was too reminiscent of the last time he'd met this thing on his way home from a much deserved and needed trip. He'd come home exhausted but feeling well rested from his travels. Then this creature took that from him and he landed in the hospital for over two weeks on and off, being forced to ingest disgusting potions. No more. It was time.
He roared a spell meant to send this creature away. It would banish him from the woods and grounds of hogwarts. Perhaps not for forever but for a long time.

Vici cringed and cried out in a ghastly thin wail as the spell connected squarely in his chest. He felt himself fading and knew he'd been banished. His master would not be happy with him. He'd failed in his mission. He would have to go into hiding for a while until his master's anger dissipated.
He vanished within seconds. Not even the ground bore where he'd once stood.

Canoc sent out spells within all directions of the woods. He waited and then nodded his wizened head. The creature was gone. He thumped his staff down on the ground and went back to the castle to inform the Headmistress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back