Unpredictable Friendship

Kerryn Howard

OOC First Name
Sally/ Kaitlyn
Wand
12 inch Sturdy Yew with Basilisk Skin
Curfew was right around the corner and Kerryn was still in the abandoned dining room. Her books, cauldron, brass scales, herbs, gems, were all scattered all over the desk. She stood up and added a little bit of aconite slowly in the boiling cauldron and see the reaction of it. Kerryn loved studying about the characteristic of ingredients that were being processed in the cauldron. She had every single herbs experiments that she had in her notes as well as the result when a potion is mixed by a drop of other potion. And hopefully this current potion experiment would turn out well. The young girl leaned over to the cauldron and saw the potion turned white, then blue. She smiled at it and took a couple of leeches and placed it slowly. It started to boil and turned bold blue then black. The potion started to boil even harder and without realizing the liquid rose and spilled on Kerryn's arm and started to spill uncontrollably. Some of it soaked into her skirt causing a huge amount of pain on her right leg. She screamed in pain and moved away from the seat as she saw her hand and leg with a deep cut. Kerryn quickly took the wound cleaning potion and opened the lid. She dared not to dab it on her hand and arm, she knew how painful it would be. She could cope with a pain that was caused by a violent act, but potion... It was something else.

Ewan knew that he would have soon have to get back to the common room because of the curfew, but he finally had some time to himself after a couple of hours of studying in either the common room or the library where he was surrounded by other students. Ewan had put some toast on the side during dinner so that he had something to munch on whilst reading. Ewan looked up from his book when he heard the screams the a girl sitting close to him at the table and saw that she was holding some sort of potion in her hands but was hesitating to use it. His eyes moved from the blonde girl towards the smoking cauldron and quickly stood up to walk over to her. "Are you OK?" Ewan asked but then saw the cuts on the girl's arm and leg. "Don't answer that." he added quickly and bit his lip at the sight of the wounds.

Kerryn held the purple bottle and dared not to dab it on the cut. Then suddenly a sound of a boy was heard by the girl, she didn't expect anyone to see her in such a situation. How embarrassing for the daughter and descendant of fantastic potioneers to end up hurting herself with her experiment. "What the h3ll do you want?" she glared at the boy coldly. Because of her pride, the girl finally took courage with applying the wound healing potion on a little bit of her cut. Once she smeared it on her leg, the stinging sensation appeared. She felt like her leg was being pierced into pieces. She screamed quietly making sure that the boy couldn't hear it too loud. Her body started to shiver due to the pain of the potion. She finally let go of the bottle and knocked it over, some of the liquid spilled but she didn't care. "Get lost" she said weakly without even looking at the boy. Her pride was as high as the mountain, she wasn't going to describe her pain to the boy. The fifteen years old attempted to stand up and the cut wasn't fully healed yet making her stinging sensation even worse. She shut her eyes tightly and finally looked at the boy in the eyes coldly. "Go" she commanded with her body still shivering from the pain that she felt.

Ewan tilted his head to the right when the girl asked him what he wanted. ''Figured that was kind of obvious to be honest.'' he said with a nod towards the wounds and continued. ''I heard you screaming so came to see if you were alright - and from the looks of it, you are far from that.'' Ewan didn't listen to the girl when she told him to go away but instead sat down next to her and picked up the bottle she had knocked over. ''You did it wrong, by the way.'' the Ravenclaw said while looking at the cauldron as he was genty applying the healing potion onto the wound on her leg so it would have a better effect. ''You should have stopped boiling it when it was blueish, not black.'' Ewan smiled at the girl when he looked up at her, hoping that he hadn't just insulted her in someway or another because he was rather good at insulting people when he did not mean to do so.

Kerryn was about to jolt her arm away from the other party but it was too late, he had applied the potion on her ripped skin. She expressed her pain through her face as she clench her teeth so that she wasn't producing any unwanted noise. "I could've done it myself" or in other words, thank you. He was gentle and kind unlike any other students who were irritated or who were afraid of Kerryn. She had never been treated this way before, not even with her fellow Howard. "Wh- wh- why didn't you leave?" her voice started to shake, she was utterly groggy. She had never talked to other people for personal matter except to her family members. "You should've just left me" her expression went back to cold, not that she hated or unthankful but she didn't want him to know how she really felt. She hated it when people could see her weakness, her pride played a huge role in it. Kerryn walked passed the boy and took her book away from the damaged potion. She took her wand and flicked it to tidy up the mess that she had made.

Ewan smiled when she told him that she could have applied to potion on her wounds herself. It was probably true but seeing that she was shaking from pain, he thought that it would be better if perhaps someone else would do it for her instead. When he was done applying the potion to both of her wounds Ewan looked up at the girl and tilted his head to the side. ''Because you were in pain and I wanted to help you.'' he answered, stating the obvious. He watched her as she began to clean things up leaned against the table. ''Now that you are all fixed up, do you want to tell me your name? It's kinda weird you know, not knowing your name, since I just touched your arm and leg to heal the wounds..'' A smile appeared on his face once more, hoping that he wasn't being weird.

Kerryn was confused seeing how easy going the boy was, he was far from being nervous. Oh... He had no idea who she was, of course then... There should be no reason for him to hate or fear her. "Kerryn, Kerryn Howard" see if he could recall her surname and see if he would start hating her. She stopped for a while and turned her back to face the boy to see her reaction. "I didn't ask you to help me moreover touch my arm and leg" she said arrogantly. Again, it wasn't because she hated the boy. She just didn't know how to treat people nicely, she had never been taught to do so. "Seriously, I am not the one who you want to talk to. Just go" she was trying to avoid the situation because she wasn't use to it, ah yeah talking to people, having people acting all nice toward her. It was all new.

Even though the girl couldn't see it because her back was facing him, Ewan smiled brightly when se introduced herself to him. It was nice to now her name because she looked awfully familiar to him. ''I'm Ewan,'' the Ravenclaw said, still taking to the girl's back when it hit him why Kerryn looked so familiar to him. ''And if I am correct, we are in the same year, right? I think I have seen you in a few classes before.'' Ewan looked at her when she finally turned around to face him and chuckled slightly. ''I know you didn't ask me to help you, but you seemed you like could use a little.'' He didn't understand what Kerryn's problem was with him helping her out when she was clearly in pain. ''And what if you are, huh? What if I want to talk to you?'' Ewan did not know why she wanted him gone so decided to be stubborn instead and stay.

"Correct, though I haven't noticed any of the students that are in any of my classes except for my twin sister." Kerryn was an ignorant, she cared nothing about other people until recently. But she didn't want Ewan nor anyone to know that. "You are one stubborn lad" she gathered her books and placed it on the wooden table. Kerryn took a seat when she finally decided to give up and talk to Ewan. "Honestly, I was fine. I've been dealing with a lot of cuts and bruises with no one giving me a hand" Kerryn was an independent, sad child and her eyes reflected everything. "Talk to me then, see how long you can handle me" she rose her eyebrow and glared at the boy coldly. It's true though, no one could stand her. She was such a pain.

Ewan was pleased to hear that she was indeed in the same classes as he was. ''How come we have never talked to each other before? It seems that we have the same interests.'' he said while nodded at the empty cauldron standing on the table. He chuckled again, this time when she called him a stubborn lad. If only she knew how stubborn he really was. ''Allow me to lend you a hand the next time you are going to make a potion, I am pretty good at it myself..'' the Ravenclaw said with a smile on his face. If he was going to be friends with this girl he didn't want to see her covered in cuts and bruises all the time because a potion went wrong. Ewan laughed at what Kerryn said. ''What? You don't think I can handle talking to a girl?'' he asked, wondering what she meant by that. Apart from the socially awkwardness she seemed like a perfectly fine human being to him so was sure that he could handle talking to her.

Kerryn rose an eyebrow seeing how friendly, kind, and funny Ewan was. Oh was he different than any other students. For the first time in her life, a small tiny little bit of smile appeared on her face. When she realized that she was displaying such an emotion, her face quickly went cold though her eyes reflected satisfaction. She had never been happy before, but satisfied. Well that's not new. "Maybe I will if you can make a better potion than me" Kerryn was good, she made her own potion experiment. But she wasn't perfect, there were times where she failed at it. "You've never met any of us huh?" her eyebrow rose once more. "Maybe you'll meet more of the Howard next year" there would be four first year Howards not too long from now. "Th... Uhm... Thank you" she said in her very small voice. She wasn't used to thanking nor apologizing to people but Ewan was something else.

Ewan smiled and said, ''I'm sure I can.'' when Kerryn told him that he was only allowed to help her if he could make a potion better than she could. ''I have never met any of you.'' he said to confirm it. ''That being said though, so consider yourself lucky. I don't talk much to people. I prefer to be alone, that way I can concentrate on the things I'm doing.'' During his five years attending Hogwarts Ewan had never really made any friends because he never really saw a reason to make them, all he wanted to do was to read as many books as possible, and with the library storing more books than he could count the only thing he did apart from studying and watching the Quidditch games was reading. ''Alright, talking to you... talk - Ah! How is studying for the OWL's going? Are you having as much fun as I'm having going through every book?'' Ewan asked, though the last bit was spoken with sarcasm, because even though he liked reading, studying for the OWL's was just too much and overwhelming.

Kerryn tilted her head to the side as her brow rose "Well consider yourself lucky because I do not talk to anyone nor am I interested in knowing about other people's welfare. really, Kerryn wasn't the kind of person who would talk to others, she was far too busy in her own world, and her the world of her family. She was practically brainwashed not to trust other people nor to act kindly to others. "I'm not interested in OWL" she didn't study that much, her grades were fine though. "I do a lot of potion experiment, my family are the descendant of Gudvalsson, we were the vikings, voyagers, traders who ends up being potioneers. I take notes in every herbs, gems, or any living organism that I put in the cauldron and try to mix them all together to see how it reacts when it meets" her notes was like a history book, it was huge and thick with all the pictures, mathematical formulas, and many more included in the book. "I guess this is the part when I have to ask how your OWL's study is doing" Kerryn wasn't interested in knowing the answer but she was trying her best to be as normal as she could.

By now Ewan had figured out that she didn't really want to talk to him for some reason unknown, but continued their conversation anyways because apart from the distantness Kerryn actually seemed like a pretty nice girl to him. He frowned when she told him that she wasn't interested in the exams at all. ''Not even a bit?'' he asked, finding it incredible hard to believe that she wasn't because it was probably the most important thing of the year. Ewan went quiet when she began to talk about her family's background and couldn't help to smile a bit because her family sounded awesome. ''Man, everyone in my family is either a doctor or a psychologist.'' he said to lighten up the mood a little. ''It's going well, I guess. I'm done with studying though, I barely have time to do anything other than that.''

Well it's not like Kerryn doesn't care about her grades but she is more interested in Potion and Herbology more than any other subjects. And because of this, she shook her head and began to speak "I do care about it but I wont be needing most of them as I am to inherit my parent's potion brewing service and shop. But as a Ravenclaw, I'm pretty sure you and I know how much these grades mean to us" her parents had never been crazy over the houses. She could be sorted into anywhere but Hufflepuff. It would be impossible for her to be in Hufflepuff anyway. "You're a fil..." she stopped before offending him. She was used to saying muggleborn as filth or mudblood, she couldn't help it. "You're a muggleborn?" well of course there weren't many pures so it wont be strange for the boy to be non pure. "How do you survive in this school as a muggleborn?" she could never really understand how it worked, how they could study in Hogwarts or get through the prejudiced kids.

Ewan nodded his head while Kerryn was talking since it made it bit more sense now that he actually knew why she didn't think the other subjects were that important to study for. He hadn't really thought about what he wanted to do once he would graduate from Hogwarts so decided to study for every subject he was following and look at the choices he could make when the results were in. Ewan closed his eyes and let his head fall to his chest when she guessed his blood status. He knew that it was still a thing at school so when she stopped her senstence, he could almost guess what she wanted to say. He shook his head and looked back up at Kerryn. ''I am,'' he said to confirm it, and chuckled when she asked how he was able to survive as a muggle born. ''Just like anyone - pay attention in class, do my homework and hand it in on time.'' the Ravenclaw told the other. He was glad that she didn't any offending terms even though she almost did.

Ewan had a strange reaction, was it really that bad? The prejudiced that the muggle borns had to deal with every single day? They could've left the school, Kerryn was one of those who wanted none of these filth in the school ground yet she is now interacting with one. And she was actually quite enjoying it, only to Ewanm not any other muggle borns thogh. "How can you deal with everything in the castle? I am one of them, you know" one of the prejudiced though she is tolerating for the very first time in her life. "Every kids with the name of Howard will make your life miserable, you... You have to stay away from me before my cousins know you exists." she cared about Ewan, which was extremely odd. She had never cared about anyone before. And she feared for him, she knew how violent her cousins and siblings could be,

Ewan looked at her with a confused look on his face. ''Y-You're what? A Pure blood?'' he asked, although he was sure that he knew the answer to his question. ''I don't really care about all of that to be honest.'' the Ravenclaw told Kerryn before muching on one of the pieces of toast he took with him when checking to see if she was fine. He listened and shook his head as she was telling him about her family and that they would make his life miserable for hanging out with her. ''Really, Kerryn, I think I can handle myself. But if you really want me to leave.. I guess I could go?''

Kerryn refused to answer Ewan's question of her being a pureblood because obviously she was and she thought that he was smart enough to know that. "This is the wizarding world that you're talking about so you have to care." it was true, he wasn't in his little happy muggle world. This part of the dimension was so much more complicated than his. "Go" she said coldly and packed her stuff. Kerryn didn't want him to go, she was lonely, friendless, but what else could she do but to send him away? It was for his own safety.

-Topic Done-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back