Unknowing

Connor Barnard

OOC First Name
Steph.
Wand
Ebony Wand 15" Essence of Phoenix Talon
Connor roamed the halls as was her duty that hour. It would soon be over but she hadn't a clue what she should do afterwards. She still wasn't fully sure how the whole teaching thing was going to be, it was her first teaching experience after all. It made her nervous and she knew that she had the Headmistress to gain knowledge from, but she didn't want to bother her boss. Instead she took a few turns and went up a few flights of stairs and stood outside Professor Haden's office just as the clock tower was ringing letting her off duty. She hesitated before knocking on the door. She hadn't met the Professor to which she would share classroom yet. And Connor did find it odd that he hadn't seeked her out when she first moved into the castle before classes began for the semester. But he must be busy she assumed knowing he had to take care of the upper division classes. Connor was to teach years one through four, and she wouldn't be teaching any of the fourth years that semester, they were just at the beginning of the year which she hadn't been here for.

She had just gotten the job as the Professor here after all. She had been told about how unstable the Professor teaching the lower levels had been over the past year or two. It made her sad for the students as she had one Professor her entire time at Durmstrang, and she loved the old man. He had been a wonderful Professor and made her enjoyed the subject just as much as the Darker subjects she had the opportunity to learn. Durmstrang she found had the reputation for being the Darkest of the schools and that any who went there was evil. Of course, Connor didn't see herself as evil, though she was slightly more downcast than most, she wasn't evil. She was probably one of the few students who hadn't gotten picked on or been a bully during her years at school. She could've been the easiest target for bullies had they known she couldn't fully see every color in the rainbow. But she didn't tell them, barely anyone knew really. She hated pity, it was something she had felt from when she was very young. Her twin sister always tried explaining the colors and how they were, or she would try to make her feel better. But Connor didn't enjoy the pity she got from her sister. Thinking that the Professor must not be in Connor was about to turn in relief when the door flung open. She stood shocked for a few moments.

Having passed normal holidays in his studio apartment in New Zealand, the young professor was more than happy to be back at school. He enjoyed teaching and his holidays always lacked it. He did some tutoring and that for students that wanted it but for the most part his holidays had been spent alone. Nothing overly new for the charms professor. Although what was new was that he had a new work mate. The person who did charms for the young students had been replaced. In his year and a half at hogwarts this was the third person to try with the job. Misha did not hold much hope for the rest of them. He didn't bother getting to know the others because he hardly wanted to make a friend for them to just leave. Although from what he had seen at the first feast of the year, the professor was someone whom he was sure he had seen before. She had a familiar face that was for sure. He just didn't know where he knew her from. Although unsurprisingly the professor did not spend too much time thinking on it. He had more to do. More to prepare for. His two classes that semester. Rather than just the one. It was an easy task the elder years, smaller numbers and less work. He loved working with them. It was a friendlier way of teaching since they were all old enough to know to behave. He liked his job a lot. Knowing he had struck lucky to get it.

On that day, he had been sitting in his office correcting the work of an old student of his who was working on a thesis to do with the nature of charms and creation of new ones. It was an interesting read, and the guy had asked Misha to read over it, correcting any mistakes that the guy had made. Which was an easy enough task but the thing was fairly long so it was taking a whe. He had been on the 10th page when he heard a knocking at the door. It startled him slightly. He glanced to the time before finishing the part of the thesis he had been on, before getting up and going to the door. He knew he could pretend he wasn't in. But the professor had always claimed to have an open door policy, so he couldn't not while he was actually in the room, however upon openin the door. He was no greeted by a kid in uniform but by a woman dressed smartly, looking like she had been two second away from leaving. The other professor. Misha stood back and held the door open for her to come in. "You're the new charms professor" he greeted her. His accent faintly hinting at Russian as he spoke more quietly. Having been working for a while he had to readjusted to others and noise. When he worked he got lost in his own world. "I was correcting some work, I would've been at the door quicker had it not been for that. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Misha's tone was friendly, polite but mostly professional. He was 't sure what she wanted, and he also wasn't entire great with women.

Connor looked over the person who opened the door quickly. She had gotten a glimpse of him from the Professor's table but she hadn't known he would be the Charms Professor. She had a hard time actually picking out what Professor taught what subject. Glancing away to gather her thoughts she found it unbelievable that such a good looking man was her work mate here in the Charms . She wasn't very interested in him based on his looks, Connor wasn't her twin sister. At least that was how she thought of her sister, who was always the flirtatious girl whenever a good looking man was around. She herself was more concerned with being a good Professor for her students. Pursing her lips slightly at his introduction, which was actually just stating the fact of her being the new Professor. She wondered at how much he actually got out of his office, unable to properly introduce himself to other human beings. But those thought were just her typical manner of being judgmental of others in her own head. She heard an accent on his lips that she hadn't heard in a long time. Not since she said goodbye to her friends at Durmstrang. She wondered where he was from to get such an accent. Connor wasn't sure if she had ever seen him before, she hadn't ever tried very hard to get to know those outside of her year.

Crossing her arms lightly across her chest Connor hoped in their conversation the man in front of her wouldn't plan on being forward. She had found that men with good looks tended to be asses. She hoped that this one wouldn't be so, as she did have to share a classroom with him. "Hello, yes. Connor Barnard. I came to discuss the classes, classroom. And I have to admit it's my first time teaching," she said not even bothering to have the aura of an experience adult at the moment. Holding out her hand to shake the other Professor's, Connor inwardly cringed at having to touch another person. She wasn't much of a fan of physical contact, but she was offering her hand to someone who she would work with she thought she should. To be fair Connor had to admit any advice this man would share with her would be useful to her in her first lesson come the next day.

Misha wasn't very good with people. Students he was fine with. He could deal with them no problem. But it wasn't the same with other adults. He was careful with his words but he wasn't very good T that. He was always struggling with what he could say and what was too silly. He had never been good with people. He had never been good at that it in school. He was the kind of guy who had despite his looks no experience with women of any kind. That one girl, Sofie had been kind to him and he had really liked that but with the fact that he was at school most of the time, he wasn't exactly good at keeping in constant contact. In fact he was pretty god damn awful at it. However this was new. This girl had sort of just matched into his office. Well, knocked on the door and then Misha let her in. Which to him was actually pretty close to being the same thing. He gave her a smile as she made her way into the room which he used for everything and anything. Had even fallen asleep while in there several times. He gave her a smile but waited as she introduced herself, and realized he had forgotten to say his own name.

"And, I'm Misha Haden." he said taking her hand and shaking it lightly. He wondered how old she was, he thought she was around his age but there was really no telling with people nowadays. He just knew that sometimes people looked one age and were in fact another. All the same to him really. He then Nodded. "Yeah, this is also my first job, but I've been here a year and a half now." he didn't have a particularly hard job, nothing complicated. Teaching the older students was very simple. He liked it better. He wasn't sure if he could handle both years. "I have the simpler of the jobs. 5th through to 7th is pretty easy. So if you need a hand setting things up or advice I'm more than available to chat." he gave her a little smile as he said that. It was true as well. He was always happy to help out. Might not be very good at it, but it was something that was. "Can I get you something? Like a drink or something to eat. I don't have much but we can scavenge for something." he wasn't sure what the point of her coming to his office was. He gave her a motion of the hand, almost saying sit anywhere. Help yourself. "So where did you graduate from?"

Connor returned the smile of the Professor. But her hand didn't stay long in his and she was glad for his light touch. He ushered her in and she almost wished to be in her own office, somewhere that was somewhat familiar to her. The young woman did not have many friends, mostly because she never bothered talking to many people. She didn't want them to figure out that she was internally different so she put up an outward front to ward many people off. Connor wasn't surprised that this was his first teaching job out of school, but he did have more experience being there for a year and a half. She wondered when he started being a Professor here, and how old it made him. She was just twenty-one years old. Which made her nervous about the students not wanting to be taught by such a young Professor. But she was teaching the younger years which made her believe that they might just go along with her not being able to pick up on her young age.

Connor was glad that he was offering giving her a hand setting up, she had already been through the lesson plans of some of the other teachers and began planning out the four years that she would be teaching. She didn't need any help with the material and she knew she could figure out how to deliver it. More it was the classroom which was more on her mind, having to share the classroom with this man, she wasn't sure on if they'd agree on the general set up. But she supposed that could be discussed later. "Thank you for offering your help," she said with a shy smile. It made her wonder how bored he was only teaching the upper years and staying in his office the rest of the time. "Oh no thank you. I'm fine," she said when he asked if she would like a drink or something to eat. She would probably spill a drink if she had one being nervous. She wasn't used to approaching others. He ventured off topic and it through her off, she wanted to discuss things that were important to her now. Where she went to school didn't seem to be very important. "I went to Durmstrang," she said proudly. Most would judge her because of the school reputation. "But I wanted to come and discuss the classroom and the set up. For some of my lessons I'll be needed no chairs and desks and where to put them is the question."

Having realized upon first arriving that professors and students came from all places he was not surprised when she said she was from Durmstrang. Had graduated from that school. Misha had too, but he then realized that they were a few years apart in age. Since he did not remember this person from his graduating class. He wanted exactly the most sociable person but he knew for the most part who had been in his class. He also nodded at the fact she wanted nothing but took this break as an opportunity to make tea. "I also graduated from Durmstrang." he said simply, as he went to turn on the magical kettle. "You sure you don't want something?" Misha asked again. He gave the girl a smile. While going into one of his cupboards and getting a box of biscuits out. Placing them on the table between them. He had little things like that scattered throughout the room. Nothing better than a biscuit to be able to help tide over hunger during the night as he worked. Misha might have less classes but the work his students did was a lot more than her students. Though she did have more of them. He was unsure how that actually balanced things between them.

"I just push them all against the wall. Put some of the spells we do are more complicated so I take them outside or to the empty classroom." he gave a shrug as he pour the water into his mug and put in his tea bag. Turning back to the girl, Connor. He wondered what she would be doing that required desks to move. "Why did you chose to teach charms?" Misha knew his question were a little blunt, as if he was trying to figure out his competition, but the young professor honestly didn't care. He was attempting to be nice, but unfortunately for him he was any so good at it. "The students don't always notice when there are no desks and such. Even the older ones." he had noticed that the students of hogwarts were the ones with the least amount of question. Least amount of yelling out in class. "I wouldn't worry too much. Hogwarts students are the best behaved students I've ever dealt with. You'll be fine. I can assure you of that." he said, giving her a small smile while removing the tea bag from his tea and taking a sip of the piping hot liquid.

Connor was being pleasantly surprised by the man in front of her. At first she thought he may turn out to be the type of guy that would always chase after her sister. But it seemed he was much nicer, if not a little awkward himself. And he was from Durmstrang which made her wonder how much older than she he really was. She didn't remember him at all which meant he had to be a few years older as she was never one to pay attention to the older students. Typically just bowing her head when she went by them, not to be noticed. Some students would be very cruel to those who opposed them or at least thought they were, she had learned there. She shook her head, hoping she wasn't coming off rude to him. Food would spoil the next meal and she knew her hands would be shaking with nerves if she tried holding a cup level. Connor was comfortable with waiting she wasn't dying of thirst and she wasn't a tea person more of a coffee type anyways.

Push them against the back wall might work, when she had seen the classroom it did seem rather large she figured she'd have enough room if she followed his suggestion. She wish that they could dive into learning spells the first day, but she had been instructed to give an introduction on the first day each term instead. Connor realized the students wouldn't be very happy about that, but she figured they would manage if she gave them some interesting homework to do. Probably research for the first spell. "I was tried of always being on the go. Teaching seemed like a good opportunity to stay in one place. Though it did require moving here," she said thinking of how contradictory it seemed, becoming a Professor because she wanted to be in one place. She liked New Zealand so far, the sites were much different than Australia, where she had been living. Of course, she found the two islands here to offer much beauty she wished she wasn't stuck in a castle all day. "Your first job has been here, what students as a teacher can you compare them too?" She questioned wondering if he had been telling the truth before, or if it had been something he said to comfort her and make her feel better. Now she was questioning if this man was what he seemed. Of course she was beginning to read to far into it. This wasn't someone who was her friend, she had no emotional connection to him she didn't really care. One day they might be friends, after working with each other for so long.

the young professor shot a glance at the woman in front of him. He got the impression that sort of like him, she had never really planned to be a professor it had just been something they'd both fallen into. Misha had discovered it all of a sudden and decided that above everything else it would be a good and fun thing to do. A little different from what his father or mother had had in mind but misha was happy and that was all he really cared about. All he figured that they should care about. Everything mattered little. He had however before this job studied. Misha hated doing things unprepared. He had studied under an old professor, and then done odd jobs where ever he could get them until he had finally landed this. "This is my first job as a professor, doesn't mean I have filled in for people while I was looking for a job" he took a sip of his tea, looking at her as if it was the simplest thing on earth. "Helped out in a muggle class during the June when I graduated. Back in Poland. Did substituting for about a year or so after that." he said motioning over his shoulder as if in where he believed the direction of Poland would be. He had no way of knowing and really nor would she. "I don't like being unprepared." he took a sip of his tea and moved across the room. Misha liked hogwarts the most. Not just because he had a nice and simple job but because it was just good. It was interesting. It was a little more permanent. It actually made him feel like he was making a difference really teaching the kids. Rather than having twenty blank faces in front of him. Thinking about everything but what he was teaching.

Now as he sat on the edge of his desk, the professor put his mug down beside him. And pushed up his non existent sleeves, a habit he had since becoming a professor. He all too often wore sleeves and pushed them up. Not because the shirt didn't fit but mostly because he always felt that the room was way too warm and he disliked that more. His mind made him very aware that he didn't have sleeves, but never stopped him. He wondered, as he looked at the professor what she had done before this. How old she was. He couldn't imagine them hiring a student just out of school. Or maybe they did. "So what did you do before teach?" he asked taking back up the mug and putting it to his lips. He was considering asking her opinion on the thesis he was reading but he didn't know how much that would interest her. It was interesting to him, but maybe not to others. "What Class you do have first tomorrow?" he was aware that she had a class tomorrow. But since he had never ever been the professor for the young years. Then he didn't know which classes came when.

Connor wasn't sure how to respond she felt like she was slapped in the face. Though he didn't have much attitude the words stung in her head. Much to contradict what she had thought of him. Her head hung as she looked at her hands in her lap while listening to him. She didn't want to start a fight with him or anyone here, she was an adult and tired of fighting the world. He doesn't like being unprepared, it hit her in the mind true. She was unprepared, she did not know how to lead a classroom. She felt out of place now, unsure why she was there. Why did she want to teach? She wanted others to love charms as she did. To find the usefulness in everyday life. How one can take down another only using charms, no other type of spell. No transfiguration of a chair to a viper to bite the opponent. "I see," Connor replied not commenting on how she did not do the same, unfortunately.

Connor knew her answer before he had finished asking the question. She had thought it made her quite experienced in her skill, of course she wasn't sure now that it lead her to be a good teacher. Of course she'd always have to see as the year went on if students were actually learning from her or not. "I graduated a few years ago, since I've competed in numerous dueling championships all around the world. I only use charms in my duels and took many top prizes," the woman said not boasting. She only spoke the truth, quietly so. Thinking of her schedule and first class she'd teach she realized it would be first years. She knew it would be difficult getting their little minds prepared for the first time into a lesson, she was hoping they'd have other lessons before her own. It would be much easier to get them to pay attention if they already knew how to act in the classes. "I have first years tomorrow. Just an introductory lesson, not learning much at all," Connor finally replied after thinking some time on it.

There was never any malice in what Misha had said, but he wasn't sure if a person could teach properly if they hadn't had previous experience or at least a tiny bit of training. He didn't know what this girl had done, but it clearly hadn't been teaching. Which he found a little odd. He wondered how much revision he would need to do with the fifth years he would get, after being taught by her. He didn't really doubt her abilities, but would some experience really have hurt. She seemed to neither confirm nor reject the idea that she hadn't done the same. Which made it seem really like she hadn't. Not at all, which was in part funny to him, though apart from the usual friendly and polite smile on his lips, which briefly grew and then returned to what it had been before. He raised the tea to his lips and took a long sip. Loving the soothing hot water which he had greatly needed. The woman did however go on to state what she had been doing with her time since her own graduation. Which from what he could tell, would definitely please the first years, and the second years, the rest were maybe not so sure. "I'm sure your young first years, will thoroughly enjoy tales of duels, specifically since you only used charms. They are hungry for information on how charms can be fun"

The professor smirked slightly, wondering if it had any practical use in a classroom, or if it didn't. He would find out, as she began her lessons. "I never did dueling, I like doing hands on lessons, but I would not be cut out for dueling." He gave a shrug. Thinking that his way of teaching would be better, though he realised she might be the more powerful person of the two. More able. He was much more classroom, controlled spells, and theory. Less practical. Which was obvious just by the way he was always buried deep in someone else's thesis. Reading charms journals, keeping up to date with charms, and much less dueling. Which he got no impression that she was the same. "Ah, first years" He said, with a tone that said, wow, that must be dull. "I have the fifth years first, where I let them know all about the OWL that they face at the end of the year." He remember his own OWLs, and then NEWTs. Both of those. Fun things for him to do. "So, where are you from? Since you're here but, attended Durmstrang?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back