Union of Eternal Love

Landon Dalton

OOC First Name
Beth
Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Through the blanket of grey cloud the sky was bright and alive with the energy of a new day kicking. Birds sang in the trees and even the earth seemed a little softer under Landon's formally shoed feet. He smiled out across the landscape surrounding the hotel he had slept at overnight, and observed the land's beauty in every blade of every acre. Today was a very good day. Today he would at last be wedding the woman he had fallen so deeply and passionately in love with all those years ago.

Landon straightened up his dated suit, wondering if Lucy would find his attire too old-fashioned for their day of pure bliss. Still, she had tolerated his erratic behaviour all these years, so why should she feel otherwise? Landon's hand strayed to his cheek, feeling the freshly shaven skin, softened with wizarding elixar. He could only question if he had slathered his face and neck with too much aftershave, but he did not dwell for long. Somewhere behind him in the comfort of the spacious living room, the Dalton family were bustling about to make themselves look a little more appropriate for the day.

Deciding he should probably check on then, Landon headed back inside with a feeling of relaxation, which seemed a little strange under the circumstances. He rejoined his family, watching his mother wander in and out of the kitchen, preparing and serving breakfast to his little sister and father. Mr. Dalton had his head buried in the morning's newspaper and seemed unaware of the rush they were supposed to be in. He had half fixed his tie but had become distracted by one thing or another. Landon smiled and shook his head. "Morning, mum," he said happily, approaching her to peck her on the cheek and take a slice of toast from the freshly prepared pile.

While the morning outside awoke with a beautiful but grey start, Hayley stirred beneath the sheets of her bed. It was strange to be staying in a hotel, but it had only been night and she was going to make the most of what sleep she had managed to get. The entire scenario had greeted her with some surprise; while she knew her parents had got some exciting news for her over the holidays, Hayley had thought very little of it. Perhaps it was to be a holiday abroad or camping or a day trip to the zoo. She had not excpected it to be the wedding of her elder brother, or the fact that she had been chosen as a bridesmaid.

When she was at last tugged from the comfort of the hotel bed by her father's hurried calls, she pulled herself into action, quickly dressing in the beautiful dress that had been chosen for her. It fitted like a glove. She was grateful that the outfit she was to wear today had already been arranged to save extra time and hassle. Hayley began gently tailoring on her make-up, applying it lightly and smoothly to her useful face. She clipped in a pair of earrings, slipped on her bracelet and elegant white shoes, and tested her early morning vocals. "Muuum," she called, "can you give me a hand with my hair, please?"

After wrestling with a brush, and her mother's manual use of a set of curling irons and straightening tongs-and a heck of a lot of hairspray, Hayley was finally looking the part. She trailed downstairs after her mother to join the others and have some breakfast, which she was very careful not to mess up her dress with. She kept her head down as she ate, listening to her father's ramblings about the world and it's latest news, and her mother's hurried bustling about the kitchen.

Yes, she was definitely glad to be back.

Landon had finished munching through his breakfast, and had found his way back to the bathroom mirror to stare at his reflection and question if his hair needed cutting. Well, he's styled it rather more formally and it sat in place as it should. No. A haircut could wait a little longer. Besides, as his mother reminded him while she shoe-horned his father from the comfort of the kitchen chair, they hadn't the time for any more 'dilly dallying'. Landon left his appearance un-tampered with, and headed back out into the main room, waiting by the hotel door. His family were all up, dressed, and ready to go, and he smiled at them proudly, still hoping the journey to the venue would not be a long one.

As it happened, they arrived a little early. Landon stared around, wondering where his best man was. He had once hoped to ask Jareth to do him the honour when the time came but.. Well, that was not a part of his memory he dared to tread and relive just yet. His mind was fuzzy and he could hardly remember the guest list. Obviously he knew Lucy's family would be there, after all, that was why they had chosen a muggle-friendly venue. And his family would be there. That was certain. Extended relatives would probably be there somewhere. But he had hoped to keep the ceremony fairly intimate.

The watch stowed in the depths of Landon's pocket began to tick louder and louder as the final hour before marriage drew near. It was enchanted to grow noisier as a subtle alarm, and when he slipped it from his jacket pocket to glance at the face, it was practically screaming at him. Landon tucked the mechanism away and stared out at the sea of faces slowly being welcomed into the church by his mother and father. A hand wandered to his collar and tried to loosten it as a bead of sweat began to form on his forehead. Why was he so nervous? It was a wonderful day and he was about to wed the girl he loved. But something inside Landon piped up, asking if Lucy really would turn up.

As his hopes were beginning to abandon him, Robert, a man he had met during their school years, arrived at the alter. He revealed to Landon the two ring boxes concealed beneath his jacket, and patted his friend on the back. "I thought you weren't going to show," Landon said, breathing a sigh of relief that at least one thing had turned out alright. "I thought.." Landon's voice trailed off as music began to play. A beautiful fanfare for his beautiful bride to be. All were seated and Landon turned his head slowly towards the entrance, watching for his bride.

"Breathe, Lucinda, breathe!" the young woman admonished herself, adjusting the tight fit of her dress with one hand, other hand straying to her neatly pinned curls, fingering the pins that dug in to her skull. Of course, if it were any other day, she'd be complaining incessantly at the mirror. Today, she was just desperate to look like the beautiful bride that Landon deserved.

It broke her heart a little to know that her mother wouldn't be there, but her grandmother was there for her, fixing the bride-to-be's hair and make-up with short commands of 'hold still!' and 'don't squirm!'. She couldn't help but be nervous, however. She wasn't exactly confident, and although she'd grown in confidence as the years went on, a day like today had her tempted to hide under the covers and wait until it was over.

This, of course, wasn't how events were to transpire. After all, she loved Landon, more than anyone else, and she was more than happy to spend the rest of her life with him.

Her grandmother, too, would be the one to give her away. Her father was there, out of a sense of obligation more than anything else. She had not even known her father until finishing Hogwarts, and even now, relations were strained. But she could forgive him on a day like today. At least he was here to see her on one of the most important days of her life.

Taking a deep breath, Lucy walked arm in arm with her grandmother, the music getting louder as she approached the aisle. Her heart pounded in her chest. This was it. The moment that was going to change her life forever. She was getting married!

...And as she looked at Hayley, her mouth spread in to a big smile. Her overly tight grip on her bouquet loosened. She turned and started slowly walking down the aisle, fighting the urge to sprint towards Landon (and likely fall over in her elegant shoes) and throw her arms around him and cover him in kisses. She felt as though she was floating, glowing. What had she to be afraid of? It was the happiest day of her life.

Landon's heart gave a loud thud in his chest as he saw her; an angel on earth floating through the open doors and down the aisle towards him, glowing with radiating beauty. For those enchanting few moments, all of the worries of his life and the past were completely erased. This was bliss. Just watching her move towards him and join him at the alter. That was enough for him to sprout a new memory for his patronus. This was the best day of his life, thus far. And the future would only get better.

He turned to look into the eyes of the woman he loved, the woman he had dreamed of settling down and starting a family with for so long. Landon grinned broadly at Lucy, that goofy grin of his. 'Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today..' and that was all Landon heard for some time, his mind tuning out to just watch Lucy beaming at him. It was only once Robert had elbowed him in the ribs that he became aware that the time had come for his vows. He pulled a script of parchment from his jacket and uncurled it to read it aloud.

"Lucin.." he began a little weakly, clearing his throat and starting again, looking awkward at his stuttering. "Lucinda Jane Buckley, never have I forgotten the moment I first laid eyes on you, the way you made my heart flutter and melt. I will never forget how terrified I was to ask you out on a date, and to the Yule Ball, but how overwhelmed I was when you said yes. And from the very first moment our lips met beneath the mistletoe, I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you. So now I say to you, that I, Landon Acidious Dalton, promise to love and to hold you each and every night, to care for you in sickness and in health, to never leave your side or hurt you, I promise to keep you safe and to cherish and adore you as you deserve to be cherished and adored from now until death do us part."

Landon paused, glancing up at Lucy with watering eyes. He tried not to let his family and the rest of those watching see his sudden burst of emotion. He reached a hand to his eyes and rubbed away the damp, causing them to redden. He cleared his throat again with a dampening of emotion. This was truly the happiest day of his life.

When Lucy was a little girl, she imagined embarking on great adventures, like she read in stories. Sailing the world, climbing mountains. When she got older, she imagined finding great scientific discoveries. Travelling. Saving the universe as a superhero. Hogwarts had taught her magic, and for a while she'd imagined becoming the most powerful witch in the world.

And none of those things would have made her nearly as happy as the life she led now. Writing things that made her happy. Working alongside Landon in the bookshop. Waking up beside him in the mornings. Enjoying each day as it came. And most importantly, listening to the beautiful words he had to say right at this moment. Tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over and ruin her makeup. Although, she still felt that she'd be the most beautiful woman in the world, because the man standing with her believed her to be so.

"I..." she began, a little nervously. She'd never been fazed by public speaking, but as overwhelmed as she was at this moment, she was finding the words difficult. "From the moment I met you I knew you'd have a special place in my life. You were my first true friend, and you've always been my best friend, my first and only love. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, my friend, my love, my soulmate." She paused for a moment, clearing her throat. "I, Lucinda Jane Buckley, take you, Landon Acidious Dalton, to be my lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part."

Her hands trembled as she beamed at him. This was the greatest day of her life, and she knew that every day from now until the moment she left this earth would be filled with happiness.

Landon received the rings from his best man. Robert was smiling at him, nodding his encouragements. The sweet scent of a floral boquet wafted through the church and settled amongst the crowd of friends and family observing. Landon popped open the ring box, taking out the wedding ring he had chosen for Lucy. He slipped it gently onto her outstretched finger, taking great care not to force it on too fast an hurt her in the process. On the inside of the ring, something she would likely only see should she ever doubt his love for her, words of his choice had been engraved.

You have my heart, now and forever.

For some days he had questioned his choice in rings; he had so wished to get something of great size with all the diamonds he could afford. But Landon knew, realistically, that no amount of wealth could ever buy enough glittering gems and priceless metals to demonstrate his love for Lucy. In the end he had settled for something smart, practical, and beautiful in modesty. What he had chosen not to mention to those involved in the wedding was that the ring had been especially enchanted. When Lucy fell asleep, the ring was enchanted to sing a sweet soft lullaby. Not loud enough to wake her, but enough to hum a soothing tune through her dreams. If they were to ever have children, Landon felt this gift could prove to be priceless.

She'd never imagined getting married as a little girl - even while at Hogwarts. She'd never thought herself pretty or interesting, certainly not the marriageable type. And yet here she was, with her new husband, her best friend, sliding a plain yet beautiful ring on to her finger. Tears threatened to spill again. Not until I can fix my makeup, Lucy warned herself, a sly smile lighting up her damp eyes at that thought.

The wedding band for Landon was plain, but very smart. It was a simple gold band, nothing much, but it was a symbol of their love. She gently slid it on to Landon's ring finger, the smile on her face threatening to slice in to her cheeks if it got any wider. She didn't feel like a glamourous young woman - more like the awkward eleven year old, first meeting Landon by the lake, jumping in the water, making her first true friend.

Lucy was tuned out, but she came back down to earth with the simple words from the celebrant, "I now pronounce you husband and wife." Giving a small sob of happiness, she closed the distance between her and her husband, gently but passionately pressing her lips to his. Their new life started now, and Lucy looked forward to every moment of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back