Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
It's Complicated
Sexual Orientation
Who Cares?
Wand
Pear Wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 inches
Sapphire had finally wandered out of the Slytherin Common room and into the rest of the castle. She had her leather journal under one arm and an eye out for her overly touchy brother. After a bit of roaming, she settled on the student lounge. It seemed cozy enough. She pulled an armchair into the corner of the room, plopping herself down in it with her combat boots dangling over the arm.

She opened the pages of her journal and began her usual ritual of putting down her thoughts of the school year. She detailed her brother's transfer and his apparent lack of a sense of personal space. The longer she wrote, the more her thoughts turned to a different boy entirely. Deciding that it might help her scatterbrain to make sense of things, she started an account of what had happened with Mervyn Strangeways last week- from the incident, to the hospital wing, to him seeking her out in the dungeons.

She was so caught up in the words and doodles on her page she never noticed anyone enter the room.

Mervyn had secretly been hoping he wouldn't run into Sapphire again any time soon. Something strange had happened when she'd tackled him to the floor, and though he could really be sure of it, he thought he might have wanted to kiss her. It had been a strange feeling, made more uncomfortable by the fact Sapphire had told him to shut up. Was that a normal response? Did girls always get angry when you wanted to kiss them? Or had Mervyn done something wrong? He supposed she might just not like him, but the way they'd teased one another suggested differently. He wanted to see her smile like that again. It was cute.

So in spite of the fact he was trying to avoid her, when Mervyn entered the student lounge and saw Sapphire secreted in an armchair in the corner, he didn't back out or turn around. Instead, he wandered over to a table several meters away and sat down. The Slytherin seemed quite preoccupied in her writing, so while he waited for her to notice him, Mervyn rested his arms on the table and his chin on the back of his hands, a goofy, slightly dazed smile affixed to his face.

Sapphire may not have seen him come in, but she heard the chair scoot back as someone sat down near her. Seeing as how her personal space was still her own, she could assume it wasn't her brother. He always seemed to flair a bit more towards the dramatic when he was with her. She wanted to finish what she was writing before she looked up, though.

"So, uh," She started slowly after a moment, as she continued to scribble away furiously. "You make it a habit to stare or am I just extra fascinating today?" She teased, though she wasn't sure who was there. She may have been hoping for someone in particular, but she wouldn't admit it. No. It could be anyone sitting there and she wouldn't care.

Mervyn's heart fluttered as Sapphire spoke. He tried not to let the sudden surge of anxiety manifest on his face, but he was certain that if he said anything, he would stutter, so rather than try to come up with a decent excuse for staring at her, he simply continued, silently. Even when his cheeks started to hurt from smiling, he carried on, determined that when she finally looked up at him, he would be smiling at her. All the while, his heart punched angrily at his ribs, his hands turning sweaty under his chin. Crushes were way too stressful.

Sapphire finished the final sentence and shut her book with a decisive snap, looking up finally to see that it was, of course, Mervyn sitting there. She tried to ignore the little thrill that went through her at the way he was smiling, unable to keep a little return smile from her face as she moved to sit at the table with him. She sat down and raised a brow, deciding that teasing him was probably safest. She waved a hand in front of his face, and spoke, her eyes sparkling. "You in there, old man, or have you broken down?"

Mervyn blinked, but otherwise didn't flinch as Sapphire snapped her book shut and stood up. He followed her with his eyes, his pulse spiking an all-time high as she sat down in front of him. Crap - now he was going to have to think of something intelligent to say! Blinking rapidly, he finally sat up straight, pretending to be returning from some kind of daydream to buy him more time to think. "Sorry," he said. "I wos well away wiv the fairies, there. Didn't see yoo come in." He grinned. "Choo doin' in 'ere?"

Sapphire's heart fell a little bit- he hadn't been smiling at her, and the fact that it had disappointed her surprised her. She kept it well hidden, however, and replied with a laugh. "Sadly, your poor eyes may get you killed yet." She teased, brushing her raven hair behind her ears. "I was here first, you loon." She grinned, and unable to resist the urge to touch him, she reached over and brushed his hair from his eyes. "There!" She declared, pulling her hand back and intwining her fingers in front of her so it couldn't happen again, "Now you can see."

Despite how flustered he was, Sapphire's fingers on his forehead raised goosebumps on his arms. He closed his eyes as she brushed his hair away, grimacing, though it wasn't at all unpleasant - he just didn't want to get poked in the eye. "Fanks," he said, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Was his hair too long? Did he look stupid? Should he cut it? Urgh! Why was he overthinking everything? "Wot you been writin'?" he asked, wondering if she'd share it with him.

Sapphire gave him a saucy grin, not wanting to admit she'd been writing about him. A thought occurred to her then, and she leaned in close to whisper conspiratorially. She motioned for him to come closer, a playful sparkle in her eyes.

Confused, but not disappointed by the opportunity to put his face near Sapphire's, Mervyn leaned in over the table to listen to whatever it was she wanted to tell him. The student lounge wasn't even all that busy, so it must have been a secret - unless Sapph just wanted to put her face close to his, too. He didn't dare hope it.

Sapphire grinned, her heart pounding as Mervyn leaned in closer. She waited until he was close enough to hear her before she continued. "You were staring, you loon," She whispered playfully when it hit her just how close he actually was. Her breath hitched in her throat and the sudden urge to kiss him came over her. She bit her lip to try and keep herself in check, but couldn't quite resist the urge to look at his lips anyway.

Diana entered the student lounge looking for something interesting to do. She really hoped to see Domi, Sapphire, or even one of her sisters. Since when were they all so hard to find? Sometimes it seemed like she was unable to be rid of them. As she looked around, she smiled when she noticed Sapphire's dark locks. It was unmistakably her friend. But a gasp escaped her as she saw what she was doing, and with him! Was she really about to kiss that creep? Diana made her way over, elbowing someone out of the way in her haste. "Get away from her." She snapped firmly, pushing the boy back in his seat. Then she turned to Sapphire. "What was that?" She demanded. "Is he your new boyfriend?" Disapproval was clear in her voice.

"Hey!" Sapphire nearly jumped out of her seat when Mervyn was shoved back, both startled and angry. She hopped up, eyes wide, but her stance relaxed a touch when she saw Diana. All the girl's questions registered them and Sapphire blushed furiously. "He is not, we were just talking! I didn't want nobody else to hear, that's all! What's gotten into you?" She couldn't help but match Diana's anger with her own, completely flustered by almost having kissed the boy and a little mad at being interrupted anyway.

This was it. This was definitely the moment - the moment that hadn't been the moment before, but was definitely the moment now. There was no mistaking the way Sapphire lingered, her eyes on his lips. Feeling as if his heart was about to explode, Mervyn began to close the gap, when suddenly - what the 'ell? - somebody pushed him, hard, back against his seat. The Gryffindor didn't immediately recognise Diana (he had far more important things to keep track of than people who disagreed with his charity work), and was just as startled, and angry, as Sapphire. More than anything, though, he was disappointed. Swallowing, Mervyn stood up. Clearly these girls knew one another, and the brunette was less than pleased about Sapphire kissing him. That was all the information he needed. "Oi, woss your problem?" he asked, falling short of the confidence he intended. "Woss it to you if I is? I ain't done nuffink against the law."

Diana crossed her arms over her chest, looking at Sapphire first before sneering at the boy. "First of all, there's no reason to talk to anyone that closely. unless you were trying to tell something directly to the pimple on his chin." Glancing at the boy, she helpfully pointed at her own chin to let the boy know where this alleged pimple was, though in reality she had made it up. She turned back to Sapphire. "You certainly looked like you were about to kiss. But even if you weren't, you still shouldn't be telling secrets to horrible scammers like him." With that, she rounded on Mervyn. "Because that's what he is. I saw it myself. Last year, he tried to get students to pay their hard-earned galleons to him and his girlfriend for some made-up cause." She smirked at the boy, tilting her head to the side. "At least, until the headmistress personally put a stop to it. Isn't that right?" She glanced at Sapphire. "You can do so much better Sapph, believe me."

Avoiding the subject of the kiss entirely, Sapphire rolled her eyes at the both of them. This was ridiculous. "Di, I heard all about that. As far as I can tell the whole thing was legit, if not... Misguided." She chose her words carefully. She was still irritated about that kiss. Sapph rolled her eyes when Di commented she could do better. "I'll figure that out myself, thanks."

Mervyn rubbed his chin, turning scarlet. He was just starting to think that Diana's voice sounded familiar when she brought up his fund-raising, painting it in a way that made him sound awful. He hadn't been scamming anybody! He and Leda had been perfectly prepared to hand that money in to Professor Alicastell for the good of the school. And Leda - ew - Leda was not his girlfriend! Mervyn looked at Sapphire, bracing himself for her to turn on him. But it didn't come. In fact, the Slytherin seemed totally unfazed. Mervyn breathed a heavy sigh of relief. "Leda ain't me girlfriend, by the way," he clarified quickly. Then he turned to Diana. "You're talkin' cobblers," he said. He wanted to say something much more cutting, but was afraid of forcing Sapphire to pick a side. "I ain't 'urtin' nobody. Never did nuffink wrong. All a big misunderstandin', like Sapph 'ere said." That wasn't quite what she'd said, but it was Mervyn's interpretation. "Anyway, we were only 'avin a natter. Int that right?"

Diana frowned at Sapphire. "I didn't think you were so naive, Sapph." She scoffed, a little disappointed. She had been sure Sapphire would at least consider her words, but the other Slytherin simply seemed to dismiss them entirely. "Fine, if you want to whisper secrets to this... this clown. Be my guess. Don't say I didn't warn you though." She rolled her eyes at the boy's words. "Talking cobblers? Do you hear yourself? The only reason to hang around you is to be amused by ridiculous words like that. Guess that must be the appeal." She huffed, annoyed that this conversation hadn't gone how she wanted. "Fine, go on having your natter." She said as she stepped away from the two.

Sapph groaned. "Di, I swear, if I ever decide to get a boyfriend you'll be the first to know." It seemed the safest thing to say, seeing as how she could easily turn it on her friend and say a scam is about the same as a judgemental gossip. Things like that didn't really bother Sapph, and Di knew that. She wasn't sure what the big deal was, but she wasn't in the mood to stop her friend from leaving either. "I'll see you in the common room later," she promised, knowing that Di would want every detail- if she wasn't too irritated at Sapph.

As Diana began to head away, Sapph grabbed her journal and Mervyn's arm, attempting to take the both to the other back corner where Sapph could keep a better eye on the door.

Mervyn felt each of Diana's remarks like punches to the stomach. He knew she was only trying to wind him up, and that he ought to pretend it wasn't bothering him, but it was. His colloquialisms, which were not peculiar at home, but which he had soon learned were out of place in New Zealand, embarrassed him at the best of times. Now that both Solomon and Diana had both mocked him in the space of one week, he was beginning to wonder if he would be better off never opening his mouth at all. He looked down, allowing Sapphire to steer him half way across the room before pulling his arm away. "I fink I'm gonna go," he said, quietly. He didn't want to come between Sapphire and any of her friends. "Gotta do summink for... someone. Sorry." With that, he turned to leave.

They made it halfway across the room before Mervyn stopped her and gave her some stupid reasoning that he needed to leave. He turned and started to walk away. Sapph rolled her eyes and moved to stand in his way, hands on her hips and fire in her eyes. "Sure," she told him. "If you actually have something to do. But that-" She waved vaguely at the way Diana went. "That was nothing. Di is always like that, even with my brother. I'm surprised she likes me half the time."

She gave Mervyn a warm grin and nudged his arm playfully. "Don't bother with her, yeah? You're a bit mad, and delightfully charming, and I like you." She grinned up at him, hoping he didn't actually have to go. "Now do you actually have a reason to go or what?"

Mervyn stopped and backed up a pace. He appreciated Sapphire's attempts to comfort him, but the fact that she found him charming didn't really make up for the hundreds of people in the school who might be mocking him behind his back. It didn't help much to know that Diana was always cruel, either. If that was the sort of person Sapphire chose to hang out with - well, Mervyn had to question why. He forced a smile that almost passed as genuine. "Fanks," he said. "I 'ave gotta go, actually - but fanks." Not even a kiss could have made him feel better any more. Actually, he suspected it would have made him feel worse. All he'd done since meeting Sapphire was embarrass himself in front of her. He had no chance of ever reclaiming his dignity in her eyes. "See you around," he mumbled, walking around her and making a beeline for the door.

Sapphire watched as Mervyn made his way out the door, a neglected and slightly hurt look crossing her face once he couldn't see. She cursed Di silently and plopped onto the nearest couch, frustrated. She had no idea what she was feeling, or why it hurt so bad to think maybe Mervyn didn't like her. Maybe it was a good thing that Di had interrupted. She definitely didn't need to be making a fool of herself. With a sigh, she opened her journal and tore out the pages she had written about what had happened with the boy earlier. Maybe it was best to forget the whole thing and pretend nothing had happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back