Under my favourite tree.

Alice Derland

Alice wandered down to the lawn and plonked herself down under her favourite maple tree. The buds of the new leaves that were to come had started to sprout and the wind blew gently. It was a fairly warm day considering it was only early spring. Alice had intended to write her mother a letter but was just too tired and a little depressed. She had hoped that getting some sunshine would be a start to getting her out of the doldrums.

School had been so much harder this semester and she wondered if she even had the gumption to continue into the second year. She loved some of her classes but some of them were just so complicated and took so much energy out of her she wondered week to week if she was going to manage to complete each assignment.

Today she had gone into Astronomy to see that it was a prep day for getting ready for the exam but gathering all that information was just so daunting she really couldn't muster the energy to get started.

Alice needed a break, a long break. She missed the friends she had made earlier in the year and she felt like a hermit. She wished that for just once she could spend the day goofing off and chatting with her friends. Was it a pipe dream? Who knew.

Alice leaned back against her tree and closed her eyes, feeling the sun on her pale skin and the gentle breeze blowing her hair ever so slightly. Maybe a nap was what the doctor ordered?

Bruin hadn't spoken to Alice in quite some time, not since the winter break actually and couldn't resist heading over to speak to her when he saw her sitting under a maple tree. Bruin wasn't quite sure where the two of them stood following the wheelbarrow race and his failed attempt to get Alice to accompany him to the Yule Ball, but he certainly hoped to figure it all out. Bruin approached her slowly, trying not to startle her as she appeared a little deep in thought.

"Hey Alice. How are things with you?", Bruin asked a little hesitantly.

Alice opened her eyes slowly and saw Bruin looking at her. "Oh, hello," she said blinking and protecting her eyes with her hand as she looked up at him. "I'm fine and you?"

((cheeky bugger, I told you not to post, I was going to respond))

"Not too bad, I suppose" Bruin replied with a little grin. "You look comfortable. Mind if I join you? Or were you hoping for some privacy?"

((no one tells Bruin what to do!!! :p If you'd like me to leave and give you some alone time I will though. I am cool that way! :cool: ))

"No, please have a seat. Are you ready for exams? Personally I'm freaking out that I'm not prepared as I have not made any study notes."

((you're such a dumba$$ =)) ))

Bruin flopped down beside Alice, his usual confident attitude gradually returning. "Me? I was born ready!!!" he replied without a moment's hesitation. "Don't worry too much about exams. They weren't that bad as I recall. Heck, I could probably dig out my study notes from last year if you like."

Bruin sighed a little, closed his eyes and tried to gather the maximum amount of heat from the sun rays beating down upon him. "So, what else have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you anywhere. You haven't been avoiding me have you?" he said with playful laugh, only the slightest bit of vulnerability sneaking into his voice.

((and you wouldn't have it any other way!!!))

Alice sat up and looked at Bruin lounging in the dormant grass, she had never had a boyfriend before and with a very strict father she was completely new the whole flirting thing. She had to admit that she got butterflies and blush every time he looked her in the eyes. "No, I haven't been avoiding you. I've just been so swamped with school work, I don't venture out from my room much. Exams are making me nervous but I know they will be over soon and then I can relax during the summer." Alice looked away with a shy look and picked at some of the dead leaves that remained from last fall. "What are you up to this summer?" She added, not looking in him in the eye as she new her face was probably beet red at t his moment.

Bruin was glad to hear that Alice hadn't been avoiding him, but was still having a hard time reading her. Everytime it appeared they were getting closer, something came up and they wouldn't talk for ages. "Ummm, not much really. Just heading home to the mountains for some much needed rest and relaxation. Maybe a little hiking, swimming, horseback riding and stuff. We've got a pretty big piece of land up in the mountains with lots of trails and stuff. Great for walks with my dog Ray."

Bruin paused for a second, trying to recall the details of Alice's background, but came up pretty blank. "Actually, I was thinking about inviting you to come and visit me if you had a chance. My parents would love to meet some of my, er, friends and I think you'd like it. Of course, I don't know what plans that you already have, but think about it..." Bruin added with a hopeful tone to his voice.

If Alice hadn't been sitting down already she would have fainted for sure. Was he actually inviting her to his home for a visit? She hoped the look of shock on her face wasn't too apparent. "Umm wow, really? Yeah" she stammered, "That sounds great. Ummm, I'd have to ask my parents but they might not mind, as long as I saw them for a bit first." She hoped her eager stuttering didn't make her look like an idiot. She felt like one. She wasn't sure what was going on between Bruin and her but she did want to find out. She just hoped her parents would agree.

Bruin smiled at Alice's response. "I hope they say yes. I could ask my parents to write them a note or something if it would help. You know, let them know that you are welcome there and will be well cared for. I should warn you though that there might be a few other students visiting as well. Sophia's been having a bit of a rough time with her parents and well, we kind of damaged her home at Winter Break when the group of us raided her place, so I invited her, but I'm not sure if she is coming or not. If she is, I'll probably invite a couple of other second years as well."

Bruin had no idea how this all sounded, but hoped that things would get settled soon so he could tell his parents what to expect.

Bruin's comments about Sophia and other students took Alice a bit by surprise. "Oh, well, whatever, I guess it will depend on my parents. Ummm, I've really got to get going now. I guess I'll let you know." With that Alice got up and gave Bruin an odd smile and left. She wasn't sure what was happening between her and Bruin but it seemed like perhaps Bruin was just more popular then Alice was comfortable with. Oh well, only time would tell.

Bruin managed a faint and pathetic "Okay...uh, bye." as Alice quickly packed up her things and left. He got up and stood there beside the tree looking and feeling like a complete idiot, unable to move or say anything as he watched her hurry off. Bruin's gaze followed Alice, hpping she would turn around, but as she slowly disappeared from view he found himself slowly sinking back down and leaning against the trunk of the tree. The strong tree offered support and shade and Bruin put his head in his hands, feeling as if he wanted to cry.

Why does this keep happening???

Why can't things just work the way I want them too for once???

Why does everything have to be so hard when it comes to girls???

Bruin sat their thinking for a long time about his problem and then it finally dawned on him. As good as Bruin was at most things he tried, as smart and hard-working as he was, as easy as he found it to make friends, he couldn't figure out how to talk to girls, especially the one he wanted to talk to most. And the problem wasn't with the girls, it was him. His one major flaw was that despite his best efforts he kept sending out mixed messages, the wrong messages, and he desperately needed to fix this problem.

Everything else in Bruin's life had come relatively easily to him, but apparently this whole relationship building thing was going to take more than a sense of humour and a friendly smile. He knew what he had to do and he needed to do it fast, before he lost an incredible opportunity for happiness. He sat for another few moments before rising, pausing to thank the tree for the support and time to reflect that he had needed. Finally, Bruin set off across the grounds, intent on doing everything in his power to make things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back