Two's company, three's a crowd

Mike Gray

Wand
Ash Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the Tail of a Male Unicorn
After a somewhat eventful night at Bella's Fathers house, Mike was glad to be away from him. And counted the fact that he'd hardly see him at work due to him being an Unspeakable a blessing in disguise. A couple of days after the dinner, Mike had gone shopping in an attempt to make the apartment decor more neutral now that Bella lived there. He didn't mind, after all, his home was now her home. Whilst he was there, he also purchased a bracelet, a necklace and a dress for her birthday.

They'd had an extremely amazing last night, celebrating New Year in their own way. He didn't know if Bella was awake or not, but he didn't want to wake her just in case. He carefully and quietly got out of bed, and went over to his wardrobe, and got out presents he had bought for Bella's birthday which was today. He'd gone a bit overboard with the presents, but she was worth it, Mike used to counter that argument. They were wrapped in red wrapping paper, just to tease Bella about how he'd been in Gryffindor and she'd been in Slytherin, so their was still a little bit of rivalry and patriotism for their said houses, although Mike had put decorated it with a green bow. He went back over to the bed, and put them on the floor, by the side of the bed. He then went into the kitchen and started preparing some breakfast for her.

After a little while, Mike entered the bedroom with a tray, that carried some coffee, orange juice, some pancakes, a muffin, a bowl of mixed fruit, and a glass that contained 5 red roses, with a birthday card slotted on the tray. He took it over to her. "Happy Birthday Bella" Mike said with a wide grin on his face.

Truth be told Isabella had pretty much forgotten it was her birthday today. She knew it always came after New Year's Eve and for the past nineteen years she had always spent this double-holiday at her parent's house celebrating the turn of the new year, and her new age, at midnight with a huge party. This year had been different however, as she was now living with Mike, and the two had rung in the new year in a more personal and private way. After last night she wasn't really expecting much of today even though it was technically her birthday, and was looking forward to spending another simple day with Mike.

Isabella stirred in her sleep as she heard Mike bustling around the house but remained in bed, eyes shut tight as she tried to block out the sunlight. But try as she might she could not force herself back to sleep once she felt awake. Just then she heard Mike enter and rolled around to see him coming in with a tray of food as he said happy birthday. Isabella grinned and sat up, still in the outfit she'd worn last night, and though it was still conservative, well as conservative as lingerie can get, she still pulled the sheets around her to cover her modestly. "Breakfast in bed?" she said to Mike, looking up at him with pure adoration. "You really didn't have to Mike," she laughed caressing his cheek lightly before saying, "but thanks, it looks great!"

"Thanks, but it's your birthday. I have to treat you well, because you deserve it" Mike said simply. He kissed her on the lips, before clambering back onto the bed. He lent over, and picked up the presents. "And these are also for you" Mike said giving them to her. " I know I went overboard, but well, it is worth it, because you're worth it" Mike said with a playful wink. He kissed her again, this time for a bit longer, before saying "If you don't like it, or whatever, then please say. I won't take offence, and we'll go and change it for something else" Mike said. "Please feel free to open them, I'm just going to jump in the shower" Mike said, before giving her one final kiss, before allowing her to enjoy her breakfast and open her presents in peace. He jumped off the bed, and went over to the bathroom.

Whilst he was in the shower, he wondered when he should give her her final present. He decided he'd tell her about it after his shower. A few minutes later, he stepped out of the shower, drying himself off, before wrapping the towel around his body. He opened the bathroom door. "So?" Mike asked. "Do you like them?" he asked her. He stepped into the bedroom, and headed over to the window. "I sure hope you do, but I also have another present for you. Next week, I have booked for us to stay at the Le Meurice Hotel in Paris" Mike informed her, and turned around to look at her; "The city of love" he said, accentuating the word love whilst saying that sentence in his best French accent with a little laugh. "We are going for 3 days. And whilst we are there, you decide what we do and where we go, and anything you see and would like, I will buy you it. That is non-negotiable, because when Dad died, he left Ben and I enough money to last, and I know that he would love you, and would want you to be treated as well as possible." His green eyes looked at her brown eyes. Talking about his Father was always painful, and Mike rarely mentioned his Father to other people. "Bella, I just want you know that I'm as happy as humanely possible, and that I love you" Mike said,before kissing her again, letting his passion take over.

A few moments later, he stopped, and smiled. "What would you like to do today?" Mike asked. "We could err, go out shopping or something, and then perhaps go out for dinner?" Mike asked. "My treat" he added. Of course, he'd never let Bella pay for anything. Mike tried to be a gentlemen, and treat Bella as best as he could. She deserved it, Mike told himself, and would never argue against that fact. He sat back on the bed, and brushed her chocolate brown hair. He kissed her again, before asking "So what would you like do today Isabella?" he inquired, with a wide smile etched on his face, the towel still wrapped around his waist.

Isabella shook her head gently as she looked down, concealing a blush as she scoffed at Mike's words. Again those feelings of not deserving Mike and his genuine niceness crept up on Isabella but she forced them away as she looked back up at him with a grateful smile. "Mike you really didn't have to," she said again, shaking her head again as he pulled out gifts for her. The breakfast in bed was already a sweet gesture that no one had ever done for her so she was satisfied with that but she accepted his gifts anyway knowing he wasn't going to take no for an answer. Bella kissed him happily feeling butterflies in her stomach, and looked back down at her small pile of presents. She popped a few grapes in her mouth as she began opening them, chuckling at the red wrapping paper and green bows Mike had used, probably deliberately to represent the two of them.

She squealed happily at all her presents, wondering if Mike could hear her from the shower but doubted it. Isabella was finishing up most of her breakfast when Mike got out of the shower asking if she liked her gifts. She nodded enthusiastically as she said yes with a wide grin on her face as if it wasn't obvious enough how happy she was in this exact moment. Isabella was taking a sip of her orange juice when Mike announced that he had another gift for her, a trip to Paris at a hotel she'd only been able to dream about going to. Bella nearly choked on her orange juice and was coughing as she said, "What? Wait, really?!" with an excited squeal, clapping her hands like a little school. Again she felt like she had to tell Mike this was all too much, she didn't deserve this, all these gifts, all this happiness; somehow she was programmed into thinking she wasn't allowed to have it. Just as she was thinking this Mike came over and told her he loved her and kissed her and just like that all her worries vanished. Mike loved her, and she loved him, that was that, it was perfect and she shouldn't have to question it. Isabella kissed him back with equal fervor before the two broke away and she bit her lip to keep from smiling too big.

Mike asked her what she wanted to do today and he suggested shopping but she chuckled and shook her head no, thinking Mike had already spent way too much money on her. "Dinner sounds good though," she said with a nod. Mike kissed her again and Isabella wrapped her arms around him happily. "Wow, if I'd known turning 20 was going to be this awesome I would've done it sooner," she joked. Isabella cocked her head to the side and pursed her lips in thought playfully as he asked her what she wanted to do today. Truthfully she could just spend the day with Mike here in their apartment and she would be completely and utterly fine with it but she had agreed to dinner later where she was definitely planning to wear her new dress. With her arms still wrapped around Mike she said, "Well I know what we can do now," with a playful smirk as she pulled him into a deep kiss.

Ever since Daphne had passed away there were rarely parties at Chaos Manor anymore. Daphne, being a socialite, had constantly had parties for every occasion, even for no reason at all, but after her death Charles, who was never a party planner, had only hosted holiday parties on occasion for his children. Because New Year's Day was his eldest daughter's birthday he made sure to keep the tradition of ringing in the new year with a festive party just for her, but this year was different, as she had finally moved out. It was her first year not celebrating New Year's, or her birthday, at his home, therefore Charles hadn't thrown a party the night before. It had been a quiet, uneventful evening and only visited his in-laws for a bit, just to entertain his younger children.

That morning Charles was busy doing work in his study while his children slept in, thankfully their late night at his in-laws house had tired them out more than usual so he had some peace and quiet. But Charles couldn't concentrate that morning as the feeling of not being there for his daughter's 20th birthday kept nagging at him. He looked over at the gift he had wrapped for her, and sighed as he stood up, deciding to visit her for a while and give her the necklace he'd gotten her. He'd gotten the address from Isabella before their dinner last time had ended sourly with him pretty much kicking everyone else. He supposed that was the reason he was feeling uneasy. He was severely disappointed with his godson, who'd turned out to have a daughter and had been lied to for the past two years about it, and he had been rather unpleasant to his daughter and her roommate Mike when he had kicked all three of them out in a rage. He wanted to apologize to her and reconcile so he grabbed the small silver box and Apparated to the address in New Zealand.

Charles knocked on the door and waited for an answer, but no one did. It was still fairly early in the morning so he didn't think Isabella would be out yet and he was beginning to wonder if he had gotten the address wrong. Or maybe she gave him a different one on purpose? Charles turned the doorknob and saw that it was unlocked so he shrugged his shoulders and just walked in. The place looked clean and pretty empty. "Bella?" he called out clearly before walking further in. "Mike?" he said his voice less pleasant just at the thought of him. Charles saw a door ajar down the hall and could hear voices so walked over to it. He knocked on the door frame to announce his presence and pushed it open all the way, only to be greeted with the sight of his daughter and her 'roommate' under the sheets. Charles immediately yelled out "Bella!" as he turned to look away as he pinched the bridge of his nose in distress, never wanting, or expecting, to see that. Half of him wanted to turn around and walk away from it all but the other half, which was dominant right now, was angry with the two and their apparent relationship as more than just roommates.

"It is no problem Mademoiselle" Mike said. A smile appeared on Mike's face, as he kissed Bella, and forced himself under the duvet. "So, shall we scrap shopping then?" Mike said rhetorically, with a playful laugh, before he kissed her again for a couple of moments. He brushed her brown hair past her ears, and kissed her again, his heart pumping. "Lets just stay here for today, and go then get ready later and go to dinner?" Mike whispered. Last night for Mike was a good night, and he hoped Bella enjoyed it aswell. Well my day's about to get a lot better Mike thought, with a smile, and he kissed her again. Mike was glad that he had this week off work, and was grateful for the time he got to spend with Bella. He was glad that it seemed she was enjoying her birthday, and Mike was glad that he'd treated her as well as he could. He wondered whether Bella would have to go to Italy sometime to see her Family because of her birthday. Mike didn't mind whether he'd have to go with her, or whether she'd choose to go alone, especially since Charles's hostility towards Mike, for no apparent reason.

Mike embraced Bella and kissed her again, whispering his love for her, when the unthinkable happened. "Oh sh!t" Mike murmured, upon hearing a familiar voice. He sprung upwards, the covers falling off him. He couldn't believe it; the person that disliked him the most, the person he'd lied to about his relationship with Bella, the person that could literally take Bella away from him was there, standing in Mike's bedroom, in Mike's apartment "For the love of God" Mike said under his breath, before turning around, to see the face of Charles Chaos. If Charles hated him already, he didn't know what he'd think of Mike now that he had just walked in on the two of them in bed together. I don't think this was the type of surprise that Bella would appreciate for her birthday Mike told himself, his face red with embarrassment and annoyance. "It's not what it looks like" Mike said automatically, using the cliched expression, that was commonly used in situations that were similar to the one Mike found himself in at the moment.

Charles felt uncomfortable, distressed and angry all at once and his range of emotions didn't allow him to focus on what spell to use against Mike. He just stood at the door, his head turned away, with his hand gripping his wand so tightly his knuckles were white. Just as Mike said 'This isn't what it looks like' Charles rolled his eyes and glared at him, shaking his head at his pathetic excuse to try and get out of this. "Oh so you just weren't in bed with my daughter?" he said sarcastically, taking a few steps forward. "And you two weren't lying to me this whole time? Is this what roommates do now?" he said, his voice rising with each word.

"Get off my daughter!" he shouted, livid with the fact that the boy had not done that immediately upon his presence. Charles couldn't bring himself to even look at his daughter at the moment. Right now all his energy was used in focusing on Mike and wanting to cause him pain. Charles cursed angrily in Italian and sparks flew out of his wand threateningly in Mike's direction. He scoffed in disgust as he saw the boy climb out of bed and turned away as he seemed to be wrapping a towel around his waist. No longer able to control his anger Charles couldn't stop himself from walking into the room fully, throwing a stinging hex at Mike to cause pain to his entire body. Truthfully that was going lightly on the boy, compared to what he really wanted to do to him. He didn't care if the boy would fight back, Charles had many years of experience on him and was willing to do more damage, but tried to contain himself a least a little.

"This was a mistake. I knew you couldn't be trusted with a boy," he said with distaste, at last looking at his daughter. "I should've known," he shook his head, that time addressing mostly himself. "Get up, get out, get dressed," he said, grimacing at the last bit now that he got a proper look at Isabella. "Get out!" he yelled, not really sure who he was addressing really, Mike or Bella.

Isabella could think of nothing better to do with Mike than just be here with him and live forever in this bliss. With the two of them completely focused on each other it was easy to tune out the rest of the world so it was no wonder why they hadn't heard the knock at the door. Besides it wasn't like many people came to visit them anyway, the two were definitely not expecting company any time soon, especially not now. Life could not be better for Isabella at this moment.

But the moment she heard a knock on their bedroom door and heard a voice that she knew instantly, Isabella was brought back to reality and knew her perfect happy moment just a while ago had been too good to be true. She had spoken too soon. Her father pushed open the door, visually confirming their fears that it was him. Isabella threw her head back onto the pillows in annoyance that the moment was ruined and also to hide from her father, as if that were possible now. She quickly scrambled to pull the sheets over her exposed body as Mike told her father it was not what it looked like.

Even she had to roll her eyes at this completely false cliche but she had to fight a laugh from erupting from her mouth. She clasped her hands over her face as if embarrassed, which she ultimately was, but it was also concealing her will to laugh. The urge to laugh didn't last long though as she realized by his tone how angry her father was. Isabella sat up slowly as her father advanced into the room, his every word escalating and she felt alarmed that something would happen.

Before she knew it her father had hexed Mike and she screamed out, "Dad stop!" Finally he had looked at her and immediately she made sure to keep the sheets tightly around her body. For a moment she felt fear, that he father would jinx her too, but she knew no matter how much he was disappointed in her, he couldn't do that, right? The words he said stung her and she looked down at her lap but gritted her teeth. She was an adult and was allowed to make her own choices. As he yelled to get out, to whom she wasn't exactly sure, she looked back up and inhaled deeply before boldly saying, "No." She bit her lip momentarily before standing up, still keeping the sheets tightly wound around her and went over to see if Mike was okay. She couldn't believe that her father had stooped so low as to attack him. She looked back up at him and said, "You get out! This is our house so you can't tell us what to do," and crossed her arms defiantly.

Mike got off the bed, his face still red with embarrassment and annoyance, livid that Charles had came in, interrupted them, unwelcome and unannounced. He wrapped the towel around himself, to conceal any dignity Mike still may have had left, but then he was caught off guard, and throw backwards, as he was hit with a stinging hex. His body was in pain, but thankfully his face didn't swell. The pain was still present moments later, when Mike reached for his wand, instinctively, grasping it from where it resided; on the bedside table. He turned to face Charles, as though about to retaliate. He wanted to, very much so, but he lowered his wand. He wasn't going to sink to that level, to attack Bella's Father. He couldn't, no matter how much he wanted to. He wasn't worth it. "It was me. I told Bella to just say we were roommates and nothing more. It's not her fault" Mike said covering for her, so she wouldn't get in trouble.

Mike looked at Charles. He heard Bella disobey her Father, glad that she chose to be defiant against his orders. "I think Bella has spoken" Mike said calmly to Charles, the stinging from the hex still ringing Mike's body. "She's a grown Woman for Christ sake. You can't tell her what to do. You can't control what she does. That is her decision, and her decision alone. Can't you see that she's happy? Can't you see that she wants to be here? Open your eyes Charles; accept her decision. You may not like it or me, and that's absolutely fine, but do not tell her what to do. She has decided, and there's nothing you can do about it" Mike said glaring at him.

"You can feel free to hex me again, knowing that I won't retaliate. You know why I won't fight back? Because you aren't worth it. I'm not going to sink to your level" Mike added somewhat tauntingly. A moment passed, before Mike opened to speak in a soft and calm manner. "Charles, I know you want what is best for your daughter, but have you ever stopped and asked her what she wants and not what you want of her?." Mike asked rhetorically, hoping that Charles would stop being so controlling over his daughter, before he turned his attention to Bella. "Bella, what do you want? What do you want to do?" he asked her softly, looking at her before moving over towards her, sitting on the edge of the bed, taking her hand, his green eyes resting on her brown eyes.

Charles was upset that Isabella had defied him but not discouraged yet. "Isabella I am your father, you have to obey me regardless of where we are!" It was the truth really, just because she moved out didn't mean he stopped being her father or caring about her. He sighed frustratedly at the two of them, they just didn't get it. He gritted his teeth as Mike dared to lecture him on the fact that Isabella was a grown woman and he couldn't tell her what to do. "Shut up!" he snarled at him. "Isabella isn't some 'woman' to me, she's my daughter! It doesn't matter how old she is." Age meant nothing to him when he still saw her as his little girl. He looked down momentarily, his need to curse Mike to bits ebbing slightly, though that didn't last long as Mike continued to talk and his temper flared again.

At the invitation to hex him again Charles tightened his grip on his wand thinking Well he did say I could but grudgingly held back. "You don't understand, you're not parents," Charles told them as calmly as he could though anger was still evident in his voice. He grimaced at the thought of Isabella having to go through what she went through again and then scoffed when he thought of Mike being the father, it all sickened him. "And I don't want to give you the chance to become one any time soon!" he exclaimed, huffing angrily. Didn't they get it? Especially Isabella, who'd been stupid enough to get herself in that situation. "I don't care what Bella wants, I care for her needs it's my job, to see that she won't get into this kind of trouble again," he stated firmly.

Isabella shook her head when Mike took the blame for her and said he had been the one to tell her to keep their relationship a secret. "Mike, don't," she said softly, but it didn't seem to matter as he continued talking and her dad didn't seem to care about it. She somehow doubted her father was upset about being lied to and wouldn't have of approved of her and Mike's relationship even if they had been truthful about it at the dinner. The newly-turned twenty year old couldn't help but roll her eyes as her father said she was his daughter. "Yes I am and nothing's going to change that," she tried reassuring him. "I promise," she added.

Mike came over and sat on the bed and looked up at her and she sighed. She understood where her father was coming from, he was after all just looking out for her, but she didn't appreciate being treated like a child anymore. She knew better than to repeat any mistakes. She felt a twinge of guilt pull at her heartstrings as she used the word 'mistake' to describe her late son and shook her head. "Dad, I'm smart enough to learn from my past," she told him calmly in contrast to his yelling.

At the mention of her 'wants' or 'needs' Isabella looked at her dad in annoyance because of the way he phrased his sentence. "Well no offense Dad but Mike seems to be taking care of my needs just fine," she smirked with her arms still crossed her chest to keep the sheet in place.

He listened as Charles spoke to him, surprisingly in a somewhat calm tone, and given Mike's experience in the past with Charles this was a rare thing. Perhaps it showed he was listening to him? Or perhaps he was speaking calmly as to silence the young Auror, and not give him a reason to argue with him. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again, and listened to Charles patiently. For some reason, he thought that Bella would make the same mistake again. Mike could understand Charles being protective of Isabella, not wanting her to make that mistake again, not to go through the pain, the sadness and overwhelming grief that came with it. He gave a sympathetic look towards Bella, pretty sure the wound would still be there, not healed, not for a long time. Mike looked at the gifts he had bought Bella. He could see now that it could be viewed that he bought them to cheer her up, and take her mind off the past, and Mike hadn't thought of it like that. It wasn't his intention. His intention was only to treat Bella as well as she deserved, like he had promised her a few weeks ago.

The talk of 'Bella's 'mistake' brought to Mike's mind, something his Father used to tell him when he was younger, when he had made a mistake, although it lacked the gravitas of Bella's 'mistake', it was still applicable. Mike's mind flashed to his Father's voice, soft and velvety, attempting to comfort Mike and said "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up". He listened, as it echoed true, and Bella said that she'd learn from her mistakes, after all she was human, and so was Charles. Mike was pretty sure that he'd made mistakes in his past, that he'd learnt from them. Mike gave a soft smile, when Bella showed her support for Mike, stating that he was taking care of her. "Charles" Mike said humbly, turning his body towards him, and opening his mouth to speak. "I've promised Bella, that I will be there for her, to comfort her, tend to her wants and needs, and treat her as best as I can. I know you don't like me, and I accept that" Mike said "Charles, I promise that I will care for her as best as I can, provide for her as much as I can, give her a good life, a happy one, one that she truly deserves. I know she is your daughter, and you want the very best for her. Allow me to help provide that for her. Please. Just trust me"

OOCOut of Character:
I accidentally lost my entire post because my internet was acting up :mad: So sorry if it's short and not good!

Charles sighed impatiently and put his head in hands as he listened to his daughter and Mike try to reassure him that they were old enough to know what they were doing. No matter how often they said it to him it wasn't going to convince him otherwise. Still, the older man inhaled in an attempt to calm himself down and thought it wise to pocket his wand to keep from acting upon anymore of his emotions.

"I hardly think that you can provide better for her than I can," Charles told Mike with an eyebrow raised. Just because Mike could provide for Bella and care for her didn't mean he was the best option for that. "Just because you're going to do 'the best you can' doesn't mean it is the best for her. What if your best isn't good enough?" His voice began rising as he got angry again but he had to tell himself to calm down. "Then what?" he continued pointedly. "What if this doesn't work out, then what'll happen to Bella?" He looked at the pair of them in question, expecting an answer even though it sounded rhetorical. "Then she'll come crying back to me and I'll have to put her back together again and I'd rather avoid that so it's best that she get herself out of this...whatever this is, before she's in too deep," he pointed his finger at the two of them, wondering if they were in a relationship or not. Either way it annoyed him.

Isabella was getting slightly annoyed at the two men bickering back and forth, granted it was her dad that was acting like the immature one, rather than Mike who was only trying to be reasonable. But at the same time, they were talking about her, for her, and acting like she couldn't speak for herself. Yes, she had basically shut down last year and had let her father make the decisions for herself but that was only because she was grieving for her late son and the loss of all her ambition and her motivation and her ability to believe in her self.

But now? Living with Mike had begun to bring some life back into her, and she was beginning to feel like her old self again. It was his Gryffindor qualities that brought the Slytherin out of her, and they wouldn't have it any other way. It was a constant connection to their young life at Hogwarts, a time where Isabella felt invincible and powerful and now that she could feel the slightly bit of that again, she wasn't going to let it get stomped out of her again by living with her father again. Being out of her house allowed her to think freely again.

"Excuse me, but when you two are done talking about me like I'm not even in the room, I'd like to say something," she interrupted loudly. She crossed her arms, keeping the sheet firmly in place around her body, and looked over at her dad. "I've already said I'm not leaving with you, and that's final. I don't need to be living with you for the rest of my life for you to know that I'm your daughter. A change in address doesn't change that and you know it," she said annoyed at his stupid, insecure excuse. She sighed, knowing she had lost a lot of her father's respect for what had happened while she was at Durmstrang but that didn't mean she still didn't deserve it.

It suddenly occurred to her that maybe her father thought she was abandoning him and she thought of him alone, without her mom and she bit down on her lower lip. She was sympathetic towards him but she couldn't live with him forever! But then thinking of her mother brought up another subject and all thoughts of guilt and sympathy left her mind as she narrowed her eyes on her father. "You know, you really shouldn't be one to talk with all this 'disapproving' of who I'm dating nonsense," Isabella stated, her tone of voice clearly indicating she knew something that was going to shut him up. "Because if I recall correctly, my mom went through the same thing with you and her parents disapproving of you," she said with a triumphant smirk. Before her father had become successful as an Unspeakable it was obvious that Isabella's family's wealth came from her mother's side of the family. So naturally they had disapproved of a boy who'd pretty much grown up in Bulgaria despite being Italian. "And obvious, seeing as you two got married and I'm standing here and Tina and Cappie exist, you didn't let them dictate your life. So I can make my own choices, thank you very much," she said with a tone of finality as if she had closed the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back