Trying to keep away from distractions

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex yawned. There was no way he was ever gonna get any studying done in the school today. Not only was he restless, the people he knew was countless and he couldn't go into the library or any corridor without passing at least one of them. And somehow end up in a conversation with them half the time.
Looking over towards the forest, he wondered if he would get some peace from distractions in there. Walkign through it the branches reminded him the last time here was here. Such a long time ago it felt to him but really it was only a few years ago. He sighed got his wand out with his book. Lumos, he thought making sure it was all he though and the light appeared. 'Kelpies' he read aloud from the book, smiling as he remembered the lesson.

Nina was tired of being cooped up like a dog. She needed a break from all the studying so she left her dorm room in her Hufflepuff uniform. The sixteen year old's legs were barely covered by her black and yellow skirt, or at last how that felt to prudish girl. It wouldn't be long until she had to get a new one for her upcoming seventh year that she was more then nervous for.

Nina would finally be graduating Hogwarts and would live with Zach, well by the end of June she would be moving in with him and would be able to preform magic on her own accord as a seventeen year old witch. But as her last act of irresponsibility before than, she walked into the Forbidden Forest, secretly hoping to find her best friend, Noah Lewis, but knowing she wouldn't with his NEWTs approaching so quickly so she gripped her wand, illuminating it with Lumos and headed further in, not even realizing she was going through a path she had walked a few years ago with one of her ex-boyfriends.

Nina's pace quickened absentmindedly and she whistled a hymn to herself that she had been taught in Church when she was a little girl in the choir.

Alex was deep into the book when something broke his full concentration. The sound of a hymn. He looked up, finally recognizing the voice. His old friend Nina. He hadn't seen her in 2 years even though they were in the same house and year. He turned round to try and see if he could find her. It would be nice to speak to her again.
Of course, Alex begin Alex he forgot he was in the Forest for that few seconds and his foot caught on a uplifted root. 'Woah,' he called out, falling flat on his face...in mud! Lifting his head, he sighed before wiping away the mud from his face.
'Great,' he groaned, lifting up his book, that was now soaked in mud.

Nina jumped in fright as she heard someone call out in the forest. "Homonom Revelio," she said, the person was then illuminated with a red line and she walked towards this person only to see Alex covered in mud. She sighed and said, "Finite Incantatum." The spell ended and then she muttered, "Scourgify," pointing her wand at Alex, ridding him of the mud that was all over his body and clothes. She held out her hand to help him up and said warmly, "Hey Alex. Haven't seen you in quite some time."

Nina truthfully missed her friend, but she missed everyone, as she had lost contact with everyone that wasn't Zak because she was so busy studying for exams and preparing herself for next year.

Alex jumped as someone spoke out a stopping spell. He looked up only to find Nina was much closer than he had reckoned she was. Giving her a crooked smile, he was grateful for her cleaning off the mud off his book. He took her hand that she offered and used it to help himself up.
'You know, I could of done that myself,' he joked with her, pulling his t-shirt down at the back. He smiled back warmly at her. He had to admit, she looked even better than she had when she had gone out with him, but those thoughts were quickly drowned out as he remembered he had a girlfriend.
'Haven't seen you since two years ago, either Nina. Where've you been keeping yourself?' he asked her as if they had just met the other day. He shook his foot slightly as mud seemed to be seeping into his shoes and flooding his socks.

Nina's black pupils dilated slightly, showing less over her hazel eyes that were flecked with a happy green. She tucked her strawberry blond hair behind her ear as she looked up at Alex, she had to bite down on her bottom lip to stop her lips from curling up into a smile that was wider than one she had ever showed.

"...Where've you been keeping yourself?" Nina couldn't help but feel like Alex said those words like they were in their thirties and hadn't seen each other since grade school. Just another sign that we wont see each other after graduation, she thought. "No where in particular. I've been spending a lot of time in the Owlrey though," she admitted, her cheeks rising in colour briefly as she thought of Zach and how they would be moving in together during the winter break.

"What about you, love?"
Nina asked, her English-German accent mix playing on her words politely, as she stepped around the big pile of mud that Alex was still standing in.

Alex smiled at Nina, laughing slightly as she said she'd been spending most of her time in the owlery.
'Lemme guess. Boyfriends living out of Hogwarts?' he asked her. He had noticed her blush, though it was just brief. He watched as she skipped round the mud he was in. How come she always managed to stay away from the clumbsy things in life?
He sighed. 'Emm, nothing much. Girlfriend problems as usual and detentions for ever more. I've always wondered if the Professors get bored of giving people detentions all the time,' he told her , moving out of the mud and onto a dry bit of the ground. He could feel the wet the mud had left on his clothes and boy, it wasn't the most comfortable he had been in them.

"Lemme guess. Boyfriends living out of Hogwarts?" Nina looked over at Alex, her eyebrows arched slightly, was she really that obvious? Although she wasn't trying to hide it at all either. "You know me too well," she stated.

When Alex said that he was having girlfriend problems she rolled her eyes. Of course he would, dating that disgusting Kiera. "You're too good for Kingsley," she said, shrugging her shoulders absentmindedly. She didn't like the Gryffindor prefect and never would, it didn't matter to her if her friend was dating her, she would not hide her opinion just because of that. "Probably, but I don't get caught, so I wouldn't know," she winked playfully, although she never really did anything bad other than going into the Forbidden Forest.

The last time she had been here she slept under the tree tops with her best friend, Noah and had been more than comfortable and safe in his arms. Thankfully no one had caught them because it could have ended badly for the pair of them, especially when that Gossip Magazine was around.

Alex looked back over to Nina, a smug look as she raised her eyebrows at his.
'Do I?' he asked back though there really was no answer expected. Maybe he did know her too well still. He couldn't help but notice her rolling her eyes and wondered if there was a conflict between the two girls. He was right though as soon as she mentioned Kiera being too bad for him. He frowned slightly, bitting his bottom lip.
'I'll save that judgement to myself thanks,' he replied, defending Kiera like he should. He couldn't help it. It was just natural now. He laughed as she gave him a wink on the next comment. He guessed it was true but then he hadn't ever seen Nina doing anything big like him. It was his big plans that got him into trouble.
'I don't get caught as much. Just peached on mostly,' he commented back trying more to save his reputation then bothering about the truth. Even though he was being honest but that was besides the point.

Nina couldn't help but think that Alex was making a very bad decision by dating Kiera like she was going to end up cheating on him but didn't respond to Alex. She still wanted to be his friend because their seventh year was approaching faster and faster and she missed him. "Don't have to defend yourself to me. Going into the forest is the worst thing I've done in six years of Hogwarts schooling," she said, rolling her eyes at herself. "Well.. sleeping in the forest is probably the worst, but they are related." She smiled innocently as she looked back at Alex.

"Excited for next year?" Nina asked her old friend as she took his hand, and began walking further into the forest rather than stand over a pit of mud. When they were walking together she let his hand go and swung it softly at her side.

Alex smiled. 'I know. You're such a rebel. Nina,' he joked with her before raising an eyebrow at her.
'Sleeping in the forest?? How'd you manage that without getting caught by the HoH,' he asked her. He thought the girl's dorm were always more secure, not having found out how you got into them yet. He wasn't too bothered now a days but before, when he went out with Nina he had been trying grenades and hand made charms to cut through the door and it always seemed to heal itself back up almost immediately.
'Not really because then we're out to the real world and no more school. But then again, I guess I am. The spells will be a challenge ext year. And I'll be a seventh year who can scare all the first years again,' he answered, sort of confusing himself at the same time. But he was just neutral mostly. Having no feelings whatsoever on it. He noticed Nina had take hold of his hand and felt nothing of it as such. They were just friends and he was sure on that.
'What about you?' he asked her, realizing again he had stood in the mud. he groaned before taking his wand out and pointing at his shoes.
'Repello mud,' he casted on them and smiled. Almost all traces of mud were now gone from his feet and he was glad. After all, he was no multitasker like some of the girls were.

Nina smiled slyly as Alex asked her how she managed not to get caught by Professor Weiss. "Noah and I went deep into the forbidden forest," she shrugged lightly. Hoping it didn't seem to promiscuous because it wasn't. It would be like kissing Alex now, uncomfortable and just not something that either party would enjoy. When he answered her question she nodded her head understandingly, it was sort of how she felt, but she was just going to live in the moment and not pay attention to the looming loneliness that her seventh year would bring and try to enjoy her winter that was coming up by moving in with Zachary and going to America to see her friend's gymnastics competition.

"For the first time in my life, I think I'm going to take things as they come and do as well as I can and not be fearful of my future out of Hogwarts," Nina answered as she watched Alex cast a spell on his shoes. She chuckled lightheartedly before rolling her eyes.

congrats on Head Boy!

Thank you. Congrats on the prefect. :lol:

Alex laughed. 'So. I was out by the lake till 3 am and she was standing there waiting for me the minute I cam into the common room. It was like she had known I was missing or something.' he complained, obviously not bothered by it now but still, it was pretty ironic. When she continued with her answer he stopped walking.
'Hallelujah. Finally, we have some sense from this girl,' he joked with her before laughing and ruffling her hair up.
'No seriously though. It's the best way to live. Trust me,' he replied smiling. He was glad his friend was finally going to live her life up before it was too late when they had to think about all the job and money problems.

Nina laughed with Alex as he teased her but when he ruffled her hair, she stopped short and gasped playfully. "No one touches the hair!" she said with feigned anger. She fixed her hair before grinning as he said that it was the best way to live. She let out a happy sigh, smiling softly at her friend as she set her early-sun rise coloured eyes. "So I was thinking. As the eldest Hufflepuffs we should start the welcome party for the first years, next year," she grinned brightly, honestly wanting nothing more than to skip out on sorting to do anything because it took for ever.

He laughed as she pretended to be angry at him for touching her hair. Boy, he had forgotten how fun it was with his friend. When she said the next thing though, it was his turn to stop short.
'You wha??' he asked, utterly blank. He gave a look of amusement at her before doubling over in laughter. He couldn't believe this. It was only the other night when they had discussed this with Professor Merrythought after all.

I'll let you post Nina's reaction first. :p

Nina turned towards Alex as he stopped walking, her eyebrows rose in confusion. He has gone loopy, she thought, Do I clarify or just wait this out? She stayed silent through Cullen's laughter, biting down on her bottom lip as her face contorted more wondering what was wrong with him. "Merlin's beard, Cullen, did you drink an unlabeled potion?" Nina asked when his laughter began to die down.

Alex sighed, trying to calm himself down. His stomach ached so much from all the laughing but it was just so coincidental, it ticked all the right spots for a good laugh. He shook his head at Nina's reaction.
'Well, actually I might've tested one of my new charms on myself before I cam out here,' he said, knowing he was lieing though.
'No, but yeah, but, umm.' he said, trying to think again. He shook his head before grinning like a lunatic.
'Prof Merrythought talked to us two nights ago about people helping out the first years and getting the common room ready. I volunteered and so did Kat so yeah. Another hand I guess would always be welcomed sort of. I'll emm let you know the times from my owls,' he replied making much more sense now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back