Sydney Townsend

Amateur Duellist | Smarter Than You

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Sydney stared resolutely at the page in front of her, determined to make the most of how quiet the library was during school events. She was always under the impression that any school event was a huge waste of time and expense, but Halloween all the more so. For a start, it wasn't even the proper time of year in New Zealand to celebrate Samhain. Not to mention half the braindead students at this school wouldn't even know proper horror if it bit them in the face. Not that it would need to, true horror was all about the suspense. The subtly. Hogwarts' attempt at celebrating the holiday was about as subtle as Eric Holland.

Sydney spared a moment to smirk at her own joke before flipping another page. She was enjoying the chance to get more time to read into mind manipulation magic, but even she had to admit there was something eerie about the dead silence of the dark library, little more than the candle light flickering amongst the shelves to light the way. In her musing between chapters, Sydney had managed to work herself into a grim atmosphere, sitting here alone, at night. She hurried shut the book she was reading shut, just to dispel the unnerving moment, shaking her head at her own silliness.

Emily didn't realize she had outgrown the Halloween feast. She hadn't bothered with an elaborate costume- just a subtle hint of makeup and a slight illusion charm to give her an eerie quality. She had checked the feast anyway, only hoping to find one person in particular. She pouted when she didn't find who she was looking for. Pouting, she decided to try the library. It was dark, quiet, and eerie. She loved it already. She was browsing through the aisles, keeping her eye out for who she wanted to see. She smiled widely when she caught sight of who she was looking for. She snuck up carefully behind Sydney before leaning in gently. "Hello," she breathed.

Sydney flinched at the voice in her ear, instinctually grabbing her wand as she spun in her chair before clicking her tongue in annoyance when she saw it was Emily. "Are you trying to get jinxed," she asked sourly, turning back to pointedly flip through a few pages in front of her, though she wasn't really reading anything. "Surprised you're not downstairs with everyone else, I thought Halloween was 'your thing'," she added, glancing back over at Emily after a beat when it seemed clear Emily was planning to hang around for a bit longer, assuming she was done gloating about trying to scare Sydney into hexing her.

Emily smiled, ignoring Sydneys grumpiness and sitting down across from her. "Horror is more 'my thing', and traditionally yes Halloween is associated with horror," she shrugged, tucking her hair back. "But you weren't at the feast." She replied easily, looking over to Sydney's book. "What are you reading? More spells?" She asked, curious. She admired that about Sydney, the girl was always doing her best to improve.

Sydney shook her head when Emily mentioned the feast, rolling her eyes. "It's a waste of time. All those events are," she said, eyes focused on the page in front of her though she'd not been able to read much more. "Though I suppose if you want to call it horrific you could," she added, given Emily a quick, sly smile at her joke. "Those kids downstairs wouldn't know true horror if it bit them on the nose. So I'd rather spend my time up here while it's quiet." Sydney shrugged. She'd only ever really gone to events to confirm her own suspicions about how terrible they were, and every time she'd been right. Even the time with Samantha.

"It's a book about the unforgivable curses. It seemed appropriate for the day," Sydney answered, briefly flipping up the book so Emily could see the cover before sitting it back down. "More interesting than most of the stuff they try to teach us in class any day."

Emily returned the smile, amused by Sydney's joke. Sydney was always witty. She looked down to the book Sydney was reading, nodding quietly and tucking her hair behind her ear. "Classes are rather boring," she agreed idly, giving Emily a small smile. "Then again, you've always been about ten steps ahead of the rest of the class." She complimented. "I'm surprised they haven't let you move up a year or two to work with something that actually challenges you," she admitted. She'd thought the same of Minnie from time to time, but didn't mention that bit. She got the feeling that Sydney liked to be the best.

Sydney still wasn't sure why Emily was here instead of down at the feast, especially since Sydney knew Emily rarely read much else besides horror stories, but she wasn't going to complain about a little bit of flattery if Emily felt like dealing it out. "They're too busy making sure we don't learn anything we shouldn't," she said bitterly, tucking her chin her hand. "The sooner we're out of this place the sooner I can actually learn something interesting," she added with a sigh.

"You still haven't said why you're up here," Sydney said after a pausing, deciding she could be done reading for the time being, tucking a bookmark into her book. Emily had simply appeared, made a comment about Sydney not being at the feast, and then carried on. "You finally get tired of trite, candy-coated celebrations then?"

Emily nodded, agreeing easily with Sydney. School did seem rather pointless most of the time. She smiled softly at the other girls' statement, raising a brow. "I already told you," she tucked her hair behind her ear. "I went to the feast. You weren't there. So I left," she crossed her ankles. "The feasts can be amusing, if you go about it a certain way. But I'd rather hang out with you instead." She told the other girl honestly. Emily had found she preferred Sydney's company more these days.

Sydney's eyes tracked Emily's hand as she moved a piece of hair behind her ear, feeling her face heat up at Emily's response. She didn't understand Emily's logic at all. but she didn't want to admit it. Let on why she was unsure. Why would her not being at the feast mean anything to Emily. "Are you sure you don't just want me to do your homework or something," she said stiffly, dropping her eyes away from Emily and her face and back down to her book. "'Cause I don't believe in homework. For the record," she glanced back up at Emily again, giving her a slow, but wry smile. "Either way... Good that you have enough sense to know who's better company, I suppose."

Emily chuckled softly and shook her head. "I gave up on my homework long ago." She teased lightly, crossing her legs. "I already have a bookstore I can run after school, I don't need to waste my efforts on lessons I don't need," she smiled softly. "Have you thought much on what you'll do after school?" She asked, wanting to know more about her companion.

Sydney raised an eyebrow when Emily mentioned running a bookstore, trying to remember if Emily had ever mentioned something like that before. It certainly made her proclivity for books make a little more sense. Her question also reminded Sydney that technically, she could leave school after this year if she really wanted. Skip NEWTs entirely. Her parents would flip, but that had never deterred Sydney before. But somehow, the thought felt too much like quitting. Like admitted defeat to a system she'd been fighting for so long. She didn't give one single toss about passing her NEWTs, but it seemed a waste to not even try.

"Not really," she eventually said in answer to Emily's question, finally closing her book. "I just know I want to learn everything I can and the sooner I'm away from here the sooner I can get to that," she said, leaning back in her chair and giving Emily a considering look. "What about you, you gonna stick around or run off to your bookshop?"

Emily thought as the question was returned to her, taking a moment to consider it. "I don't like the idea of just quitting school, honestly. I'll probably finish my education here. I was actually thinking of getting a business degree after I finish school here." She admitted. "I don't really see using a lot of the schooling here, but I could learn more of what I actually need after school," She smiled softly at Sydney. "You should come by sometime. I could show you around the bookstore." She offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back