Three months to graduation

Veronica White

OOC First Name
Hamza
Wand
Yew Wand 14" Essence of Fairy Dust
Veronica was sitting in the common room in her Durmstrang uniform, the way she usually did these days and was reading through thick volumes of books, making short notes and studying. Last term results were horrible due to the stress she had been in during her exam week, her break up with Joshua and her abortion it was all a shock and her failing grades just topped up the list of her worst nightmares but she was working hard from the beginning this term, she was studying and focusing only on her grades because it was the last run of the race, three more months before their graduation and she wanted to make it the best.

Today was revision for Astronomy according to her schedule and like always Astronomy was her worst. She had never understood why one would bother studying stars than just watching them but it was compulsory and she had to study the complex star charts and star patterns. After a while she smiled, pleased with herself for she had succeeded in understanding one of the star patterns. She looked up to take a glance at the common room and realized that she had nearly been in here for about two hours. The sun had long ago set behind the forests and the oil lamps had been lit and the common room was crowded with students chatting about their lessons today.

Kenny walked into the common room wearing some jeans and trainers with a button up top (all the buttons undone of course) over a vest shirt. He liked this style and enjoyed it but people usually stared at him in disgust no matter what he was wearing so he didn't really care too much. Kenny was about to go up to the dormitory. He'd finished all his homework and had aced most of his exams so he didn't want to do any revision. He was going to go and read. At least it was something to do while he was still stuck in school.

Then Kenny noticed someone he recognised. He hadn't seen Veronica in ages but it was definitely her. He snuck up behind her and leant on the back of the sofa so he could look at the books she had open. "Struggling with astronomy are we??" He grinned then jumped over the back of the sofa and sat next to her. Kenny'd finally had his last growth spurt over the holidays so he was quite a bit taller (leaving him bang on six feet) and more muscular than he used to be. This always helped him with flirting although it never went any further than that because he either had to flirt with girls or get a punch in the face by some huge block he thought was cute. Personally, he preferred to flirt with girls.

Veronica was looking at the people in front of her so she wasn't really aware of someone sneaking up on her which made her jump. After a second as her brain analyzed the familiar voice and she turned back, a huge grin spread on her face. She hadn't seen Kenneth for a long time unless you counted the classes, where in Durmstrang, chit-chat was not allowed. All the times she met him she was surprised at how much he kept growing as she was still stuck being tiny and short for her age. "Hey Ken!" she said with a big smile as she gave him a hug. Kenneth had been one of her close friends since fifth year and had helped her through rough times and she always seemed to be mentioning him as well as her other close friends when she wrote about them in her diary.

"I guess you can say that" she said with a shrug as she closed her book and put it on the table. She was done studying for the day, two hours of Astronomy was more than she could handle and she had just been joined by Ken who seemed to be trying to set a gay trend. She didn't judge him that way, not like others because Veronica always found it cute when people didn't follow others and tried something new. "If you convince a few more people to wear that, I guess you can make it a trend here" she said with a wink. They were receiving a few stares from people in the room but Veronica ignored them because Veronica had a bunch of friends, all were weird in a different way yet she liked each one of them and she considered the on lookers to just be jealous of them.

Kenny laughed slightly when he realised he'd made Veronica jump. He put his arm on the back of the sofa and slouched comfortably. "If a few more people dressed like me then it would just be a few more people to be given gross glares as they walk down the corridor. I can cope with it but I wouldn't pass it on to anyone else." Kenny didn't care about the people who stared at him as he walked past them but he would never want anyone else to have the same problem. Some people would crack under the pressure he got on a daily basis. In fact, he'd seen it happen on a number of times and stepped in before it went too far.

Kenny grinned as he looked Veronica up and down. "I can see you still haven't grown." He had always been the one to point out the obvious just to be annoying but even sat down he could see that she was still short. He always remembered her being quite short compared to him but now he'd grown loads and she was still very short. It kinda made him feel better about himself; more masculine. Then again, he knew some people could be touchy about their height so he wasn't going to mention it too much.

Veronica laughed as Kenneth spoke about how others would not be able to tolerate the glares. "Ah, so you're the big tolerant dude, eh?"she asked with a grin poking him in the chest. She could picture other guys not being able to cope up with it the way Ken did. "You can continue being the unique one then" she said with a smile. It seemed nice to be talking to Kenneth after a while, seemed like they were catching up.

"I'm still my old four feet seven inches tall, gets annoying sometimes having to look up to everyone" she said to him. Not that she minded her height, it was never much of a problem to her. "At least I do get to wear the best of heels available" she said with a wink. "Too tall people look weird wearing heels, all they can handle are flats and I get to be in fashion" she said with a grin showing her white perfectly lined teeth.

Kenny shrugged. "I've lived with my parents most of my life. I have to be tolerant. It's just something I've picked up through childhood." Kenny didn't loath his parents. He just wished they'd accept him for who he was and not who they saw him as. It was annoying him more than anything. "What would I be if I wasn't the unique one?? Not including the gay one of course." He didn't care about being labelled as the gay one. He was gay. It was who he was so why would he care if people called him gay. It wasn't like he was about to deny it.

"Well, I can assure you, I will never wear heals." Kenny laughed. "Aren't they painful to walk in. It's basically walking on tip toes and I find that painful enough." He'd seen many people (mainly his mum) walking in heals and never understood how they could do it so easily and pain free. It looked horrible. Especially the huge five inch ones that left your feet looking half the size they were.

Veronica gave a weak smile as he said he had learnt to be tolerant by living with his parents. She had never had any problems with her father, she did as she pleased but with her mother things had been very different and she too had learnt to be tolerant. "So Mr.gay, are you dating anyone currently, planning to move in with someone after graduation or are you all single?"she asked him curiously. She wasn't aware of how his love life was going on after his break up with Joshua.She knew how it was for Ken, not getting accepted by his parents and whenever Veronica heard such things she was glad she didn't have anyone to answer to because her mother didn't care and her father was dead.

She laughed as Kenneth said he won't wear heals and it was painful. "All you need is a little practice"she said with a smile. "You know make sure you don't twist your ankle when you walk and then you're all set. But if you were to ever wear heals, they would have to make a different size for you, the largest possible" she said and laughed.

Kenny shook his head. "There was one guy a while ago who I liked but I haven't seen him since I broke up with Josh. Other than that, my range is very limited." Kenny was disappointed that he didn't have anyone but fate would take it's course at some point and he'd find the guy for him. "I'm getting my own place when I graduate but I don't have any house mate or anything like that so the house is all mine. What about you?? You got anywhere to go or are you staying with your mum??" Kenny wondered what it would be like to live wih Ver. She was a great friend to him after all.

Kenny laughed. "Well, I prefer to wear trainers than run the risk of breaking my ankle." Then he grinned. "My feet aren't that big are they??" He lifted a foot put and admired it. "I thought size twelve was an average size for a guy my age." He lifted Veronica's foot up and his eyes widened. "Holy sh!t. You've got midget feet." He laughed again then sat back against the back of the sofa.

Veronica could sense the disappointment in his voice. It was sort of sad that they both were single at the moment and they had their ex-boyfriend in common. "Not to worry Ken, with those looks you would have people lining up for you in no time especially after you graduate and get out in the world" she said with a wink trying to cheer him up. "I'm not very sure" she said, sadness in her tone. "Mother wants me to stay with her, I want to live alone but she won't give me the money for that" she explained to Kenneth. The past holiday was a blur memory and she couldn't really recall what had happened, her heart told her that the missing memories were due to her depression but her mind had its guesses at something else. "As for what job I would do after graduation, I have no idea" she added with another sigh. "Maybe I'll play international Qudditch or open a restaurant. You've got any ideas on what would suit me best?"she asked him.

Veronica laughed as Ken said his feet weren't that big. "Size twelve may sound normal to you" she said lifting her leg up and frowned as she said he had midget feet. "These are size eight feet considered very normal and all designs of heels are made around this size" she said as she pulled out her tongue at him. "I am a bigger fashion person than you" she said as she folded her arms on her chest and looked up at him. "I had even gone to see a live fashion show in Paris" she said with a grin.

Kenny laughed. "In that case, I can't wait to get out of this place and into the world. Find the right guy." He grinned cheekily then replied to what she said next. "You could move in with me?? My parents are going to be paying for the house because they have so much money that they don't use." Kenny was glad his parents paid for all his stuff. There was no way he'd be able to afford anything otherwise. He was surprised that he was still getting anything though. They thought he was still a childish little boy. "I can see you as a quidditch player. It would be fun. Travelling the world, earning money doing something you love." He shrugged. "I was thinking about maybe opening a restaurant or a pub so if you chose that side of things we could work together or something." Kenny didn't know what else there was to do with life and he always liked the atmosphere in pubs.

Kenny nodded. "Size eight is tiny in my opinion." He laughed slightly then felt slightly jealous. "I've always wanted to go to a fashion show but my parents refuse to allow me to. It's kinda cr@p really. I love fashion but never get a chance to join in with the fashionable world." Ken had only ever watched fashion shows on TV but it wasn't the same as actually being there.

Veronica grinned back as she heard his offer for her to move in with him. It sounded too tempting but she would have to consider a few things first, ask her mother. It was not like Veronica cared about her mother's opinion but it just seemed like the right thing to do. "Wouldn't your future boyfriends get jealous of me?"she asked him, her tone challenging waiting to see what he had to say. "Or maybe they'd dump you for me" she added now laughing her head off as her head filled with ideas of jokes. "Maybe I could play Qudditch and run a restaurant as well" she said thoughtfully as she tried to get her laughter under control. "Partnership seems like it could work out. Where do you plan on settling?"she asked him.

"Seems like you could be a good model. Remind me to get us tickets of the fashion show once we're out of school. My mother's friend is one of the big people in there so I get free tickets" she told him with a grin. "Maybe if some rich gay designer falls in love with you, you could find yourself a boyfriend and a job as well" she told him as she sipped some water from the glass that lay on the table beside the couch. "And you're attempts at unique clothing are really eye catching so you wouldn't have to worry about getting spotted" she hinted.

Kenny grinned cockily and shook his head. "There's nothing wrong with a bit of jealousy and I'm too hot for any guy to leave me." Ken sat in a position that showed off his muscles and winked at Veronica. He had always been cocky but he only ever said things in a joking manner. He would never be properly cocky. "I'll be your second in command; in charge while you're at matches or whatever." Kenny had never properly thought about where he was going to open it or what it was going to be called so he didn't know how to answer Veronica's question. Instead he replied with "F**k knows." Then shrugged.

Kenny shook his head. "I thought about modelling once but there isn't much going for male models. The occasional photo shoot every now and then and that's about it." Kenny beamed at the thought of going to a fashion show. "I would love you forever if you did. You have no idea how much I want to go." He was practically bouncing on his seat as he spoke. Then he relaxed and put on a fake dreamy face. "Ooh. My perfect guy." He laughed as he thought about it.

Veronica laughed as Kenny replied to her leg pulling. That was one thing she liked about him, he did not mind humor like some others did. "Sure" she said with a grin. Although Veronica did love Bulgaria she was not sure if she was going to settle here. And even though she hated New Zealand the place seemed to be good in a business kind of way so maybe they could have there restaurant there.

"Than to celebrate our graduation we shall go to Paris" she said with a wink. She was happy to see his excitement because she was finally going to do something for him for all those times he had helped her. "Sure you can love me forever but love your perfect guy more" she said with a smile. The plan seemed perfect she could get rid of her mother move in with Ken, play Qudditch and run a restaurant but that still had to be after some time, at the moment they had to focus on their upcoming exams. "So have you started to think about studying for the exams?"she asked him.

Kenny could suddenly see things falling in to place and he suddenly felt very happy about it all but he didn't want to get his hopes up too much in case something went wrong and he couldn't continue with what he wanted to do. He'd seen that happen to a few people in the past and they'd broken down after they got their hopes up to follow their dreams then watched them crash down around them. "My parents want me to be a lawyer like my dad. I told them where they can shove it. There is no way I am going to university to get a law degree after so many years of learning magic." Kenny was used to ignoring his parents so he didn't care what they wanted from him.

Kenny felt his jaw starting to hurt where he was smiling so much. He was too excited about this whole thing. "I don't think it's possible to love anyone as much as I love you right now." Kenny grinned cheekily at his own joke. Then he frowned. "Study?? Me??" He shook his head and replied "Never..." He then laughed. "I probably will a few weeks before the exams but if I start this early then I'll get bored and give up before the exams start. Plus, my grades are okay. I'm happy with what I've been getting without studying." Kenny found school easy. He was naturally bright so he didn't need to put in much effort to get good grades.

Veronica laughed as Kenny said his parents wanted him to be a lawyer. She could never imagine seeing him in a muggle court room fighting a case with a serious look on his face. She wondered why parents always thought their children as lawyers, doctors and enigneers, couldn't a child do what they felt like doing? It was seriously ridiculous to expect them to turn away from their dreams and to pursue careers they did not like. "What do your parents do?"she asked having forgotten what Ken's parents did for a living.

"I'm flattered" she said grinning back as she heard Ken go on about being happy with his grades. "Sure sure, you don't know what its like to have Trolls in your report card. Last term was horrible" she said with a sigh. "Did you ever feel like cursing Joshua?"she asked him. Maybe they could team up and teach him a lesson.

Kenny shrugged. "Mum's a head doctor in a muggle hospital and dad's a lawyer for both muggles and witches & wizards." He shook his head and laughed slightly. "They earn sh!t loads of money and don't use half of it. It's ridiculous. Then again, when they die, I'll end up with sh!t loads of money" Kenny already knew he was at the top of both of their wills. He had persuaded them to do so a few years ago.

Kenny shook his head. "You're right. I don't. I suppose I'm lucky in that way. I don't know where I get most of my knowledge from." Kenny wasn't going to complain about the fact that he knew some things just by half hearing a conversation. Then Kenny couldn't help but laugh. "Umm...kind of. I was always very angry with him but I did the same to him. I can't talk when we were both in the wrong."

Veronica rolled her eyes as Ken spoke about this parent's will. "Are you that eager on having them die?"she asked with a frown. She did understand that he had issues with his parents but that did not mean he did not like them and they, him. She was unlucky to have the family love she always wanted and those who had it didn't care about it. "At least they are not dark witches plotting to probably eat children" she said speaking of her mother. Maybe she was a hag, hiding herself anything was possible.

Veronica heard Kenneth's reply, it was a little depressing. Guys were guys, gays or not, all cheated whether on girls or on guys but Veronica wasn't going to leave the chance. "Do you know if he is dating anyone right now?" she asked him curiously. She had tried a thousand times to get him out of her head for good and although she didn't love him, you couldn't just forget someone whom you loved. "Do you know why we broke up?"she asked Ken. Maybe if he agreed to help her she could do it because she wasn't brave enough to beat Joshua alone, she needed help.

Kenny shook his head. "I'm not looking forward to it. I'm just looking on the upside. It's better than acting like a depressed weirdo when my parents die. I hate being depressed because everyone starts asking questions. It's just easier to look on the good side of everything." He shrugged slightly. Kenny preferred being able to stay happy no matter what happened. It was hard sometimes but it made life more enjoyable. Even if he did find it hard to make friends he wanted to be happy for the ones that were there.

Kenny shook his head. "I haven't talked to Josh since we broke up with each other. He's gone his way and I've gone mine." Kenny was confused as to why Veronica was asking these questions until she said he broke up with her. Then his eyes widened. "Wait, you dated him?? That's the first I've heard of it." Kenny didn't care that she'd gone out with Josh. He wasn't going to shun her for dating his ex. "That's the first I've heard of it. I haven't spoken with you or Josh in ages so I never heard."

Veronica smiled as Kenneth explained himself, he was talking in a very optimistic way it was almost like he had grown up in far more ways than she could see. She should take her father's death that way too, be happy that she had been left with a haunted hotel not that she was going to do anything about it but well and if her mom died she would have the manor which she would probably give up for donation or make it an orphan home for her adoptive siblings.

Veronica was surprised as Kenny asked if she had dated him and watched his eyes widened. Of course she hadn't told him since they hadn't talked in a long time, well at least they hadn't talked about who they were dating. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I guess we both have been busy in the past" she said with a sigh. "So after I broke up with Zac it was about two months before I started dating him and I liked Josh for real, well I loved him. He seemed so perfect okay with my past and my habits and I didn't mind that he had dated guys previously. Then it was my seventeenth birthday and he gave me a surprise by taking me to the club and everything..." she said and the memories of her turning seventeen flashed in her mind.

"We'll we had sex and the next thing I know was telling him on Halloween night that I was pregnant and he said he didn't want the baby and that we had been foolish and it was over" she told Ken. She hadn't told this to anyone, not even to her best friend Sally or to Zac because she knew that they were too good people to be able to deal with such kind of things but she knew Ken would understand. "We had our exams coming up and I got an abortion and it was my worst memory ever. I'd been stupid to think he would marry me some day" she said as a silent tear slid down her cheek.

Kenny was feeling weirdly happy spending time with Veronica. She'd always been a great friend to him but never this much. It was like she was a better friend than any of his previous friends. The guys he'd always hung out with were good friends but they judged everyone a lot and Kenny hated that. He was bullied by people who judged so anyone who did got closer to his bad list. He was still friends with all of them but he barely saw them.

Kenny listened to Veronica's story, holding onto every word. He knew Josh could be a bit of a tw@t but he didn't know he was capable of hurting someone like that. "What?! Why would he do that?? Even if there were exams, he should have stuck by you anyway. He would do if he loved you." Kenny gave Veronica a hug to comfort her. He wanted to try and make her feel better about herself after all that had happened to her. "And if you need any help with your studying then just as me."

Veronica watched Kenneth's face as he heard what she had to say about her foolishness everyone would think of her that way once they knew what she had been through and that is why the only person who knew about it was Larissa who had advised her on aborting the child and at least she hoped Kenneth wouldn't think of her as foolish, like everyone else did. "I..I don't know" she said as she was taken into a hug. She was really glad Kenneth was there, he had even been there when she had broken up with Zac, he had always been there for her. "Maybe he freaked out to find out I was pregnant or..or maybe he never loved me in the first place...who likes blondes anyway?"she asked as she wiped away her tears and drew back from the hug.

"Thanks Kenneth" she said with a smile as he offered her help in studying if she ever needed it. "I think I'm doing just fine at the moment with a clear head" she said looking at the common room which was now less populated as people were leaving to go to their dormitories for bed. Veronica didn't want to believe the fact that it was just three months before they graduated and she left the place that was close to her heart. She wouldn't see her friends on daily basis they way she wished she could because they were all she had. That reminded her that she had to invite her mother to come for her graduation, she didn't really feel up for it. "Are your parents coming to see you graduate?" she asked Kenneth and then feeling foolish because all parents in their right mind would be proud to see their children graduate.

Kenny shook his head as he rubbed Veronica's back. "I do of course." He laughed slightly. "Some day, blondes will rule the world and we'll sit on all the brunettes and gingers." Kenny had always had a knack for making people laugh. He just found it harder when they were upset because he was terrible at comforting people. It was easier with Veronica because he knew her well enough to know what cheered her up and what pissed her off more. "When we rule the world, we can throw him in a ditch and get our own back."

Kenny nodded at what she said. "Yeah, mum's coming but dad can't get any time off work so he says he'll make it up to me with some sort of graduation dinner or something. I'm looking forward to finally spending some time with both of them for once but they're very judgemental." Kenny shrugged slightly. "They're posh and uptight and stereotype everyone they see. Even me. Apparently I'm still childish and can't work out what's going on in my head." Kenny found this annoying but he coped with it.

Veronica smiled at Kenneth and then laughed as he said blondes would rule the world one day. She nodded in agreement as Kenneth suggested that they could throw the rest in the ditch, yes she would like that very much. She heard as Kenneth replied to her question on his parents presence at their graduation. "Don't worry about it, Ken" she said with an encouraging smile.

"Once you're out of school and have proved to them that you are no longer childish they will have to accept you once again" she explained. "And well no matter how much you try to change the behavior of someone they will stay the same" she added thinking about how Kenneth had said his parents were posh and uptight.

The main lamps were out and now only the fire illuminated the room, the clock on the wall read eleven O'Clock. "We better get to our dormitories" she said with a slight yawn. "I'll see you in class tomorrow. Goodnight" she said with a smile as she kissed Kenneth on the cheek before she made way to the girl's dormitory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back